• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haikyuu Manga lOTl Fly High!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yonafunu

Whew, I read all the chapters between the ending of season 3 of the anime up to date. Great stuff as usual.

Standout for me was 232. Was worried that it was going to be some nonsense with Hinata losing his shoes but instead got that fantastic Kiyoko time. Loved it.

Yay, new people!

Yeah, that was a great chapter. I was expecting it to maybe go into some shit about Hinata having to wear different shoes for the match and having that mess with his performance, but ultimately help him improve his jump.

I also really love Kageyama's character development and that Daichi chapter.

TheFlow

Banned

yo Kageyama really is amazing. crazy part is that he is a first year. Him paired with Hinata is probably the most powerful combo atm.

Todays chapter made me so angry and frustrated, all these mistakes over an easy team, please get it together TsukiKage, and Yams you had an easy chance to not lose a point :(

If Suga fails this!!!! :////

TheFlow

Banned
pretty much. this is no chump team. every match will be hard.

that Ceiling serve is amazing, and will translate well to animation.

Gvitor

While the end of set dumps are hype as fuck, I feel like Furudate uses that way too much. I don't have any data to back me up, but it does feel like every match or every other match the setter dumps the ball in the last couple of points and everyone goes "omg he has BALLS".

I was half expecting Kageyama to do the same thing afterwards like he did twice before, at least, until this point.

Yonafunu

Ok, we need to talk about this chapter.

Inarizaki is a fucking monster team, gotdamn. Miya sounds like Oikawa 2.0, looking at his skillset. Combined with a Bokuto-level ace and a skilled middle blocker this is going to be a nightmare for Karasuno.

I loved the twist at the end, especially since I'm a twin as well. That surprised look on peoples faces when they find out is the best.

The Ukai-talk was sweet, too.

Yonafunu

Yo. Caught up to the manga over the last few weeks.

It's pretty good.

Yo cntr, good to see you here.

I'd definitely recommend checking out the anime too if you haven't, it's great. Both Seijo matches are especially awesome, and the Shiratorizawa match has some great moments too. All the voice acting is perfect, and the ost is fucking incredible.

TheFlow

Banned
yep. Manga is amazing and the anime is even more amazing on top of it.

Hopefully we get a season 3 for next spring

Also this latest match is going to be so hype. They are facing the 2. Seed o_O

So if they win this anything is possible

cntr

Banned
Definitely gonna check the anime out sometime, but it's harder for me to catch up with shows compared to reading, so it'll take a while.

I think either Karasuno or Nekoma (or both) are going to lose the round, though I could see Furudate breaking expectations and letting them face off in the third round. Lots of possibilities.

Whatever happens, I'm certain the third years are going to be a major part of the rest of the tournament, since it's the last time we'll see them play. Same for Tanaka and Ennoshita, who need to replace Asahi and Sawamura as the new ace and captain. Tanaka's already got that set up with his scene with Kanoka about being "left behind", and Ennoshita especially needs the development if he's going to be the new leader.

...go figure that I catch up right at the beginning of a major match, lol.

Forgetting about Kinoshita and Narita :(

Haikyuu!! could do like other series and have Karasuno lose and the third years pushing on their desire of winning against Nekoma and etc to the hands of the 2nd and 1st years.

cntr

Banned
Kinoshita and Narita are cool and need development too, but Tanaka and Ennoshita are the higher priority atm

TheFlow

Banned
honestly losing the third years would only hamper there versatility and defense but the team has so much room for improvement they could fill the gap.

Quite impressive they made it this far with a lot of freshies.

Edit: I think the crows are going to win this one. But the. Cats will lose to either the number 1 seed; the team with the small giant, or the team that has the other best spiker in all of Japan

I think theyd need lots of practice off season to make up for Sawamura, and they still need to improve their receives. I think Karasuno winning the whole thing with their current team would be kind of...well hard to accept.

cntr

Banned
gonna be fun to see what new first years Karasuno picks up. I'm hoping they get a 2m tall libero like Nishinoya mentioned way back at the start

I'm also expecting them to do practice matches against Niiyama after they form a new team.

I think theyd need lots of practice off season to make up for Sawamura, and they still need to improve their receives. I think Karasuno winning the whole thing with their current team would be kind of...well hard to accept.
And yeah, if they don't lose now, they're going to lose in the next round. I can't see them winning until Hinata's second or even third year.

TheFlow

Banned
If they could beat the eagles which had one top 3 spikers they could fair well against other teams.

Edit: will the manga even last that long though. It is rare for a popular sports manga to follow all 3 years. It could very well be an eyeshield 21 or slam dunk situation.

Yonafunu

I'm interested in how Ennoshita's going to progress from here on. Out of all the second years he's the one who seems to have the least to offer on court, aside from his mental support. Tanaka and Noya speak for themselves, Kinoshita is turning out to be a pretty decent float server and Narita seems to be a reliable substitute middle blocker with his height at least.

As for the course of this tournament, I can't see Karasuno losing here. If they do it's after the Nekoma match.
That said, it's always fun to think about the next first years. It's going to be hard as hell to get to nationals next year tho, with that monster Dateko team they're building over there.

cntr

Banned
Edit: will the manga even last that long though. It is rare for a popular sports manga to follow all 3 years. It could very well be an eyeshield 21 or slam dunk situation.
true, but Haikyuu gives a lot of focus to the whole situation with the third years and this being their last chance, so I'm certain they're going to continue going on after the third years leave.

...plus, Ennoshita's already been set up as the new captain, and Furudate wouldn't bother with that if he didn't plan to go to at least Hinata's second year, right?

I'm interested in how Ennoshita's going to progress from here on. Out of all the second years he's the one who seems to have the least to offer on court, aside from his mental support. Tanaka and Noya speak for themselves, Kinoshita is turning out to be a pretty decent float server and Narita seems to be a reliable substitute middle blocker with his height at least.
would make me laugh and be depressed if Ennoshita doesn't get good enough to be a regular even after being captain

As for the course of this tournament, I can't see Karasuno losing here. If they do it's after the Nekoma match.
That said, it's always fun to think about the next first years. It's going to be hard as hell to get to nationals next year tho, with that monster Dateko team they're building over there.
I'm divided on whether Karasuno vs Nekoma's going to happen this year or not. I could see it, but I could also see it not happening.

And yeah, Dateko's gonna be great. Better hope that the future Karasuno members help out there.

Yonafunu

I'm divided on whether Karasuno vs Nekoma's going to happen this year or not. I could see it, but I could also see it not happening.

Karasuno vs Nekoma is an interesting one. For the third years it's more of a legacy thing, a way to honour the old coaches and that old rivalry. That's what it'll be if they do it this year. For the second- and first years it's more of an actual friendly rivalry, similar to Nekoma and Fukurodani. It's more personal. The question is whether that has the same weight to it, especially since it seems likely coach Nekomata might retire after this year.
Then there's Kenma, who's entire reason for playing volleyball is Kuroo. Will he still have the motivation to play without Kuroo? I can see Hinata and Lev replacing that hole in different ways, but it's something to think about.

cntr

Banned
We're definitely getting Hinata's second year, but I want the series to continue on to the third. But I'm not sure if Furudate's planning for that, so many characters would be gone and replaced by new ones that almost the entire cast would be different.

I think Furudate could pull that off, but I don't know if he'd do it.

Yeah, probably not.

TheFlow

Banned
Can't believe I been reading this manga so long. like wow. color page was awesome

HOLY COW everyone's reaction was perfect.

Yonafunu

You know, I'm usually not a big fan of the "Kageyama and Hinata do the freak quick and everyone is stunned into silence"-thing, as it's used in pretty much every single match

but fuck me if it isn't satisfying as shit seeing it happen on a national level.

TheFlow

Banned
You know, I'm usually not a big fan of the "Kageyama and Hinata do the freak quick and everyone is stunned into silence"-thing, as it's used in pretty much every single match

but fuck me if it isn't satisfying as shit seeing it happen on a national level.
Kinda like Sena and the devil bat ghost

For me it worked because of the previous mistake of Hinata, and also his imagination of what he thought Kags was saying.

Chase17

All caught up on the series now. Watched the three anime seasons but decided to go through from the start. I think I appreciate the Shiratorizawa even more now. The Tsukki development/moment is my highlight of the series.

I think this series really nails the training arcs. In some ways I like them even more then some of the matches which is rare for a sports series for me.

Hinata forgetting to spike was hilarious. I'm leaning towards Nekoma/Karasuno match happening, since Kuroo/the setter are such a big part of the team and it may be tough to replace them if the match were to ever happen. But who knows? Seems like this current match up will be extremely tough.

Yonafunu

that explains why he is the best.

I do wonder how he stacks up on a national level. I'm pretty comfortable calling him the best libero in Miyagi, and seeing as Miyagi has a generally high level of players, I think he'd be pretty high up on a national level, too. But he's probably not quite on Motoya or Yaku's level yet.

Atsumu's step was probably my favorite panel such a cool pose for a receive and etc. Favorite Inarizaki.

Tsuki had a good panel too.
C92z3e3WsAAJkhO.jpg:large

Glad the game can still go either way and Karasuno isnt falling too far behind. Need more offensive scenes next.

TheFlow

Banned
I do wonder how he stacks up on a national level. I'm pretty comfortable calling him the best libero in Miyagi, and seeing as Miyagi has a generally high level of players, I think he'd be pretty high up on a national level, too. But he's probably not quite on Motoya or Yaku's level yet.
I definitely feel he is up to par. He probably didn't receive any attention due to the crows sucking his first year

Chase17

I'd get pretty annoyed from someone taking the full time to serve lol

I think the first step panel was pretty well done. Takeda gave a pretty confident interview it seems.

KeRaSh

Oh! We have a thread here? I just finished watching the third season of the anime a few days ago and now I don't know if I should wait for a fourth season or start picking up the manga...
Does the tension, speed and action translate well in the manga?

cntr

Banned
I've only read the manga; it's really good at conveying speed and movement. Like top-tier.

The third season nearly caught up to the manga, so you'll have to wait a really long while for the fourth. Might as well pick it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom