• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Built for the future

level44

huehueheh

BKcsKlk.png

*cringe*

weeeeezy

Banned
MS has been horrible at user interface design for a long time now, let's not glorify the company.

MS has been developing user interfaces for decades, much longer than Sony. How have they been "horrible" at it? Please don't mention stuff like Windows XP, an OS that has been around for countless years.

This is literally impossible, it's not a question of whether MS wants to or not. The failure rate with biometric recognition is much too high for such a feature to work in any way.

Do you have any sources for this or are you just making this up?

Oppo

MS has been developing user interfaces for decades, much longer than Sony. How have they been "horrible" at it? Please don't mention stuff like Windows XP, an OS that has been around for countless years.

You're not gonna believe this, but I counted them. It's 12.

I do really like these animations in the Xbox interface, quite nice and lively. The fold up effect on the achievement is nifty.

weeeeezy

Banned
You're not gonna believe this, but I counted them. It's 12.

I do really like these animations in the Xbox interface, quite nice and lively. The fold up effect on the achievement is nifty.

12?! Thats more than the fingers on both of my hands!

Anyway, you get my point though I hope. I would like to understand how Microsoft really is "horrible" at user interfaces when they have had so much experience in developing it.

Two takeaways from this video.

My head is huge.
Man I do more of the Italian hand-talking then I thought.

So one of the requirements I had for doing this video is I wanted to speak accurately and factually. I’m not sure how you can say there was marketing spin in this. I wanted to tie all of this back to actual features.

I talked about the tangible benefits of “the cloud”: Save games, roaming profiles, content re-download.
I talked about the future-stated benefits of cloud rendering, and never made any outrageous claims about it.

When I talked about Smartglass, I talked about real features, and game implementation.

I’m not sure you could claim any of these as being speculative or sensationalist.

Also to be clear. One of the benefits of publishing games on Xbox One – ALL game developers get Dedicated Servers, Cloud Processing, and “storage” (for save games) free.

If you want to do dedicated servers on other platforms, you have to prop them yourself. But on Xbox One, while developers can choose to use their own methods, we make it available to everyone.

There should be no confusion on this point. We do not charge developers for Dedicated Servers.

EDIT: I'm referring to Multi-Player games here. I assumed that in the post, but someone on twitter asked about single-player.

This is literally impossible, it's not a question of whether MS wants to or not. The failure rate with biometric recognition is much too high for such a feature to work in any way.

The only literal part of this statement is that it’s literally wrong. All the processing for your personal Kinect ID is done locally. If you want to have your biometric log-in done on another console, you have to log-in and have the Kinect recognize you there. And between the HD camera and the IR sensor, it’s nearly flawless (in my house anyway). I sit 8 feet away from my TV, at an angle, and sign-in works every time.

R3TRODYCE

My head is huge.

So one of the requirements I had for doing this video is I wanted to speak accurately and factually. I’m not sure how you can say there was marketing spin in this. I wanted to tie all of this back to actual features.

I talked about the tangible benefits of “the cloud”: Save games, roaming profiles, content re-download.
I talked about the future-stated benefits of cloud rendering, and never made any outrageous claims about it.

When I talked about Smartglass, I talked about real features, and game implementation.

I’m not sure you could claim any of these as being speculative or sensationalist.

Also to be clear. One of the benefits of publishing games on Xbox One – ALL game developers get Dedicated Servers, Cloud Processing, and “storage” (for save games) free.

If you want to do dedicated servers on other platforms, you have to prop them yourself. But on Xbox One, while developers can choose to use their own methods, we make it available to everyone.

There should be no confusion on this point. We do not charge developers for Dedicated Servers.

The only literal part of this statement is that it’s literally wrong. All the processing for your personal Kinect ID is done locally. If you want to have your biometric log-in done on another console, you have to log-in and have the Kinect recognize you there. And between the HD camera and the IR sensor, it’s nearly flawless (in my house anyway). I sit 8 feet away from my TV, at an angle, and sign-in works every time.

franco-so-good.gif

I'm ready for next gen.

My head is huge.

I have been critical of Microsoft's past statements on these topics, and having watched the video, I have to say I heard nothing which sounded unreasonable to me.

My head is huge.

Awesome news Albert.

Regarding voice commands, when can we expect a full list of voice commands that we can use for the menu system and in game features? I think that would give us a really good idea of how useful Kinect can be on a daily basis. For me, the "Xbox Record" voice command is perfect, but I think every gamer has his or her own specific need.

Perhaps you guys could make a short video featuring the various voice commands?

2San

My head is huge.

Does that mean no more closed after 2 years shenanigans. Will the servers at least last till the successor of the XB1?

MORTALIS

My head is huge.

s9mIXKj.gif

VanWinkle

My head is huge.

So, just to clarify, every Xbox One game will likely have dedicated servers? (Since it would obviously be insane not to take dedicated servers when you're offered them for free.)

Alchemy

So, just to clarify, every Xbox One game will likely have dedicated servers? (Since it would obviously be insane not to take dedicated servers when you're offered them for free.)

I can imagine plenty of indie games won't use dedicated servers. Not all games need or want the internet.

This is the best news I've heard so far about next gen. HYPEE

weeeeezy

Banned

It's still really up to the developers I imagine, but I would be surprised that they would rather use P2P than dedis.

jem0208

I can imagine plenty of indie games won't use dedicated servers. Not all games need or want the internet.

I wouldn't be surprised if multiplayer indie games now used dedicated servers on X1. Indies usually don't have a lot of money to spare, I bet this is great news for multiplayer focused indies.

Zx4FDG8.gif

jem0208

To be clear, is this a change from the previous policy where developers have to pay for dedicated servers, but it's a diminished fee?

As late as the end of June, Respawn was saying that it costs money, just greatly reduced price:

Was this just him being coy by saying 'far more affordable' instead of 'free', or is this a legit policy change, or what? I can't think of more encouraging news, but I'm just trying to be sure.

Straight from Albert Penello.

Oh man that boot up. So good.

I know, it's so sleek. Hype rising.

KrAzEd

Banned

My head is huge.

TketXxg.gif

<3

Amir0x

Banned
Straight from Albert Penello.

That's Albert merely reaffirming the news we just got. My question was if this was a recent policy change, as Respawn was going in interviews only a few months ago saying it costs money.

As everything in this new generation, I need to be sure. Too much shit changing every day. I think it's wonderful, but I want to cross those t's and dot those 'i's' and whatnot.

Oh man that boot up. So good.

I can't imagine someone not being impressed by it. It's just so slick. And if Kinect works as well as we're led to believe it does, that whole "Xbox On" and face recognition experience should be incredible.

That's Albert merely reaffirming the news we just got. My question was if this was a recent policy change, as Respawn was going in interviews only a few months ago saying it costs money.

As everything in this new generation, I need to be sure. Too much shit changing every day. I think it's wonderful, but I want to cross those t's and dot those 'i's' and whatnot.

I imagine they initially had subsidized servers for X1 devs but then realized "hey, we shit out money and we don't expect to make a huge amount out of devs renting our servers. Why not just make it free, gain a solid competitive advantage, and cozy up with all the devs?"

Naminator

Banned

My head is huge.

Thank you for this confirmation.

Although I expect people will still continue to doubt this and find some way to spin it.

jem0208

As everything in this new generation, I need to be sure. Too much shit changing every day.

Oh sorry, I misread your post. Thought you were asking if they were paying a diminished fee now.

Anyway, it does seem a bit odd that Respawn said they were paying. Maybe it is recent change, a very good one though.

SeanR1221

Hype levels rising.

Really like how saying Xbox on turns not only the xbox on but also the tv and cable box.

Makes my universal remote kind of pointless.

Great news on the dedis. Not sure if it's enough to make me play multiplats on the XB1, but it's great news, regardless. Thanks for being clear and honest, Albert.

Amir0x

Banned
I can't imagine someone not being impressed by it. It's just so slick. And if Kinect works as well as we're led to believe it does, that whole "Xbox On" and face recognition experience should be incredible.

I imagine they initially had subsidized servers for X1 devs but then realized "hey, we shit out money and we don't expect to make a huge amount out of devs renting our servers. Why not just make it free, gain a solid competitive advantage, and cozy up with all the devs?"

In any event, there's no way Albert would say something this definitive on dedicated servers unless it was real - the blowback would be too great. So policy change or not, it's great news. Competition is good my friends.

As I said waaay before this happened, that's a real way Microsoft could make themselves different and better than the competition, starting to chip away at that $100 difference, and so I'm glad to see they've gone the full mile. Sony can't really match this without a huge forward investment that they haven't made yet as far as I'm aware, and Gaikai isn't really going to be used for dedicated servers as far as I understand, right?

jem0208

In any event, there's no way Albert would say something this definitive on dedicated servers unless it was real - the blowback would be too great. So policy change or not, it's great news. Competition is good my friends.

As I said waaay before this happened, that's a real way Microsoft could make themselves different and better than the competition, starting to chip away at that $100 difference, and so I'm glad to see they've gone the full mile. Sony can't really match this without a huge forward investment that they haven't made yet as far as I'm aware, and Gaikai isn't really going to be used for dedicated servers as far as I understand, right?

Pretty sure Gaikai is a streaming only service similar to Onlive.

Top Bottom