• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
People are excited because Halo 4 was just THAT bad.

This is only getting at part of it.

I am excited because nearly every multiplayer console shooter since Halo 3 "lost" the hearts and minds war to CoD4 has been bad. Halo 4 was just following in their footsteps.

A remake of Halo 2 alone would be the best console FPS in over half a decade simply by virtue of following Halo's design philosophy pre-Modern Warfare.

JackHerer

As a person getting and XBO this fall for exclusives and a lover of Halo 1-2 multiplayer I'm quite pumped up for it. At the same time I'm kinda worried that it could be a double edge sword. It will bring people to XBO but what happens if the competitive multiplayer base solidifies around the collection and future games fail to build healthy communties?

This will only happen if the future games aren't up to snuff.

You realize they took something away from you just to sell it back to you later, right?

What did they take away? Normal Halo 2 multiplayer was barely surviving with <1,000 players. The only way to inspire people to go back to it, not to mention CE and Halo 3, is with a rerelease.

antigoon

This is only getting at part of it.

I am excited because nearly every multiplayer console shooter since Halo 3 "lost" the hearts and minds war to CoD4 has been bad. Halo 4 was just following in their footsteps.

A remake of Halo 2 alone would be the best console FPS in over half a decade simply by virtue of following Halo's design philosophy pre-Modern Warfare.

Pretty much.

This is a system seller to me. I had no real plans to get a new Xbox before its inevitable redesign in a year or two, or maybe ever, given how poor Halo 4's multiplayer suite was. I mostly game on my PC now. But this is a 100% can't miss product to me.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
You realize they took something away from you just to sell it back to you later, right?

First time HaloCE multiplayer is online (via Xbox), Halo 3/4 in 1080p/60fps and Halo 2 is getting the campaign redone. Plus all the PC only maps are showing up. (its like a new map pack!)

Plus the game has dedicated servers now. Modding/standby are non-existent. Now we dont have Halo2 upscaling its 480p image to HDTVs!

Essentially they could have personally shown up at my house, ripped the disk out of my 360 and set it on fire and slapped me in the face and I'd still buy this package.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
For those who don't understand why Halo 4 is considered to be such a poor game:

I don't think it's fair to call it a poor game or saying it was THAT bad because of the multiplayer. It had a campaign too. I understand that multiplayer is a large part of the game for a lot of people but the single player game was really good to me. I can't say it was a bad game because of that.

The downside of this collection is that fans of Halo 3 are going to get a serious reality check of just how much a watered down version of Halo 2 it was.

I can appreciate both games. I may have had a few gripes I didn't like in H3 but still played it just as much as 2.

I'm excited because Halo:Reach was just so terrible and even though Halo 4 was better than Reach IMO, it still doesn't hold a candle to Halo1/2/3. I just popped in Halo 2 into my 360 and ran around the MP maps by myself whilst shooting guns and whatnot and WOW. Playing solo in Halo 2 MP just gives me the impression that Halo 2 online again will be the best thing ever.

eoughu

Neo Member
Seems impossible to me. The collection would probably need a massive amount of players to satisfy the various playlists.

I would think it would work like, say some number of ppl choose Halo 2 Snipers and then other people choose All Games Snipers. That would at least create a larger player base in the Halo 2 Snipers group.

antigoon

The downside of this collection is that fans of Halo 3 are going to get a serious reality check of just how much a watered down version of Halo 2 it was.

My pipe dream for a well populated multiplayer (that obviously won't happen since they've announced otherwise and it would make a ton of people mad) is simply Halo CE and Halo 2, with 3's maps ported over to 2's engine.

The core multiplayer gameplay of Halo 3 and Halo 2 are extremely similar except that Halo 3 is just slightly worse in a lot of ways. I have no real desire to go back to 3's multiplayer when 2 is sitting there, except for some of the good maps.

Mistel

Banned
Wait, is it confirmed that the Halo CE multiplayer in this collection is just Halo CE + XBL? From my understanding, the version included in this game is Halo Anniversary Edition, which used Reach's multiplayer engine.
Original CE multiplayer is included.
I don't think it's fair to call it a poor game or saying it was THAT bad because of the multiplayer. It had a campaign too. I understand that multiplayer is a large part of the game for a lot of people but the single player game was really good to me. I can't say it was a bad game because of that.
A campaign that pretty much required you to read books to understand what was going on was good to you?

Hellish

Quick question, but from my understanding you will NOT be able to use Halo 2 mechanics on a map from a different halo game say The Pit for example? Each game will only be able to use its own maps?

Magwik

Banned
I dont like you
Pkm
Banned
(Today, 02:14 PM)

Welp

Quick question, but from my understanding you will NOT be able to use Halo 2 mechanics on a map from a different halo game say The Pit for example? Each game will only be able to use its own maps?
Each game uses it's respective engine/system. Basically in the MM hopper when players have voted on a map/gametype, the game will launch the Halo 1/2/3/4 engine for everybody.

Varg

Banned
I shed a single tear reading this thread. God bless you op.

Im 22 and ive been playing Halo since 2 back in 05. Halo has literally consumed over 1/3 of my life, so this collection will be bought and played so hard.

/Brofist. I'll be right there with you.

hlhbk

I don't get why people are excited for this. Haven't we all played enough goddamn Halo in the past two generations? An upgraded port of four oldass games shouldn't even be worth announcing at an E3 press conference and yet here we are.

Way to come to this thread just to start crap. BTW no we haven't play enough Halo obviously considering the level of excitement for this collection.

jem0208

I don't get why people are excited for this. Haven't we all played enough goddamn Halo in the past two generations? An upgraded port of four oldass games shouldn't even be worth announcing at an E3 press conference and yet here we are.

Why do people still play Mario and Pokemon and Fifa and Madden and Gran Turismo etc. etc.

For many people these 4 "oldass" (Halo 4 came out in 2012, how the hell is that old?) ports are some of the best games ever. They definitely are for me.

I know multiple people who are picking up an Xbox purely for this game.

You don't understand why people are excited for a 1080p 60fps remake of 2 multiplayer titles that changed the console LAN and Online scenes forever? Bundled with 4 great single players 2 of which have had huge overhauls.

Please tell me what I should be excited by.

Not currently. If they brought out DLC and remade a few maps from Halo3 and put them in the new Halo Xbox One engine then you could but as of right now nope

Hey guys, i have never played a Halo game, this MasterChief Collection is a very good opportunity to begin with isn't it ?

I just wonder why Halo Reach is not on this compilation ? Halo Reach is like a spin off ?

Killer application. If it doesn't come out on pc I might as well buy an xbox for the first time.
If it does come to PC, it's probably not going to come anytime soon.

Hey guys, i have never played a Halo game, this MasterChief Collection is a very good opportunity to begin with isn't it ?

I just wonder why Halo Reach is not on this compilation ? Halo Reach is like a spin off ?

Yes, this is the best opportunity to begin with!

Halo:Reach isn't included because Master Chief isn't in the game. Halo:Reach is a prequel of sorts and you don't play as him in it. This is the Master Chief Collection and this is why Halo 3: ODST isn't included either.

Muffdraul

You don't play as Master Chief in Reach or ODST. I hope they get their own current gen package, because I love them both just as much as the others. IMO Reach's SP campaign is second only to Halo 1.

Tawpgun

It's not for me but I understand the excitement. If it was a gears of war collection I would be bouncing off the walls.

Hah! I get it!

Remakes seem to be a hot commodity these days. Wouldn't be surprised if we had a Gears of War Anniversary in 2016. Good way to get more hype for the franchise before the Gears Black Tusk game comes out.

Anyway, The big reason people are excited about this collection is mainly for the multiplayer. You can play CE, 2, 3, 4 campaigns and all the Halo games so far on 360.

But Halo CE never had online multiplayer aside from PC. And Halo 2 servers were shut down, aside from PC.

Now you can play both of them in 60 FPS and 1080p. Not only that but you can also just play Halo 3 and 4 on demand super quick,

This is an absurd deal for anyone wanting to get into the halo games, and for big fans of the Halo games.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Reach is the lead up to Halo 1

Halo 1 kind of starts off in mid action

And yes it's a great way to begin, especially with Halo CE, 2 and 3 MP about to get a swift kick in the ass

Bah - I was completely out of touch with the functionality of the XB1 but got excited at the prospect of playing some local H2 MP - but it seems that you can't system link the XB1?! That really sucks. This game and the $399 console have definitely increased my desire to pick up the system, but being limited to 4 player local is a bit of a deal breaker for me. Well, if this sells a tonne and has a healthy online population then I will probably get on board.

Thanks for your answers i will probably buy it in a near future ! :)

But if i get it Halo reach looks really important to uderstand all the background and the story ?

They took down the Original XBL servers in turn taking away H2 matchmaking, to turn around a handful of years later and remaster the entire campaign along with six MP maps, package it with HCEA, H3 & H4 all bumped to 1080/60 and with dedicated servers and online coop for H2 for the first time. I think it was worth having it taken away.

Pkm
Banned
(Today, 02:14 PM)

Welp

ibr924alSaLxMu.gif

Takashi

It's minor but one thing I'm having issue with is the lighting for some of the Halo 2 remade stuff. For example, there are parts in Ascension where certain objects seem too bright and shadowed areas seem too dark? Is it bloom or something? I'm not well versed in graphics and stuff so I was hoping someone could properly explain what that was.

I'm excited because Halo:Reach was just so terrible and even though Halo 4 was better than Reach IMO, it still doesn't hold a candle to Halo1/2/3. I just popped in Halo 2 into my 360 and ran around the MP maps by myself whilst shooting guns and whatnot and WOW. Playing solo in Halo 2 MP just gives me the impression that Halo 2 online again will be the best thing ever.

I wish I could get the DLC maps on my 360 so I could do the same. I thought I had them on there at one point...

It's minor but one thing I'm having issue with is the lighting for some of the Halo 2 remade stuff. For example, there are parts in Ascension where certain objects seem too bright and shadowed areas seem too dark? Is it bloom or something? I'm not well versed in graphics and stuff so I was hoping someone could properly explain what that was.

Requesting Fyrewulf to come and give this guy a detailed history of Halo's lighting from CE to Halo 4.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

It's all WIP. Changes and improves with every drop. Excited to show you the other maps.

It's not done yet. Still being worked on they said but I doubt it'll look as good as something like Halo 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom