• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All Stars Racing will have unique character depending on the platform

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?418847-Sumo-s-Joe-Neate-and-SEGA-s-Derrek-Peel-quot-Final-Roster-is-20-Characters-quot&p=7471522&viewfull=1#post7471522

Are we talking about playable choices, drivers, vehicle forms, which platform are we talking about, what?

Me, I go with actual playable choices on the character select. Over all the different platforms, this totals up to 29 actual playable choices. But that doesn't mean that there are 29 playable choices in all platforms (in fact no single platform has all 29). Some drop down to the low 20's, some instead have high 20's.

Why is this? Well some platforms have characters that are unique to that platform. I'm not going to say which, that's part of the fun of the reveals! Some are SEGA characters, some are not. Don't bother asking :p

Playable choices doesn't necessarily equal drivers either. Not as we're talking passengers or hood ornaments, counting those would indeed be cheap, but you know this is game all about transformation, we are doing things with the vehicles that we've not shown you, that are going to really surprise you.

There's a little more at the link, as well as other posts that reconfirm this claim.

Let the predictions begin!

Edit: I meant "characters", where's the mod-signal when you need it?

Probably Banjo again for 360 and conventional wisdom would say Sackboy on PS3/Vita and Mario on Wii/U/3DS but would they really put those characters in a cart-racing game when they will already have their own games?

RedBoot

If this is "Banjo in the 360 version" or "The iOS/3DS/etc version is missing a few characters" then no worries.

If this is "Buy the 360 for Toejam and Earl or the PS3 for Kazuma Kiryu," then that's bad.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Buying Sackboy's version. I love Sackboy and I don't know why...

To me, Sackboy is the absolute worst mascot to hit gaming in a decade. I cannot possibly understand the appeal.

dani_dc

Some drop down to the low 20's, some instead have high 20's.

That sounds like a fairly significant difference, I imagine the pc version is the former since I can't see any reason for it to have exclusive characters... Unless they use steamworks and add TF2 characters.

Seda

Probably Banjo again for 360 and conventional wisdom would say Sackboy on PS3/Vita and Mario on Wii/U/3DS but would they really put those characters in a cart-racing game when they will already have their own games?

They also said "some are Sega characters".

What Sega character would make sense to be exclusive to a platform?

Welkin driving Edelweiss cart confirmed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Playable choices doesn't necessarily equal drivers either. Not as we're talking passengers or hood ornaments, counting those would indeed be cheap, but you know this is game all about transformation, we are doing things with the vehicles that we've not shown you, that are going to really surprise you.

So there aren't actually 29 different characters after all? Are they counting different transformations of each character as a "playable choice?"

J@hranimo

Banned
This is intriguing. Can definitely influence multiple console purchases for some.

I really want Diddy Kong for the Wii U or 3DS version because transforming between all his vehicles from DKR would be amazing.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Rhythm Thief on Nintendo systems?
Properties like Aliens and Total War on Sony?
Gunvalkyrie on Xbox?

This could all get rather weird. Don't really mind it though. Mario, Olimar, or the P100 guys showing up in the WiiU version would be pretty cool.

Rlan

Well the Xbox version of the original had:

4194256643_5be94a629a_z.jpg

And the Wii version had:

sonic-sega-all-stars-racing-1.jpg

So I'll assume they're back in for WiiU, 3DS and Xbox 360 versions. PS3 will miss out, I guess.

SykoTech

Platform exclusive Sega characters? Damn it. Against. Against. Against.

This. Exclusive guest characters are fine, but exclusive Sega characters? Screw that.

I'll be pissed if someone like Ristar or Vectorman get in but are exclusive to the 360 version.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
well Toro is Playstation official and only mascot,Sackthingy is just a an abomination.

but I can see Kratos in PS3 version and Toro on Vita.

360 version need the legendary Master Chief,seriously.

SykoTech

Sackboy would be awesome, but I doubt he'd get in. I remember hearing that the reason the PS3 version of the first Sega All-Stars Racing had no extra characters is because Sony didn't want it to compete with ModNation Racers. The same situation will probably arise here, with LBPKarting on the horizon.

"Some are SEGA characters, some are not." could mean that not all of the characters in the game are SEGA characters (so like Banjo and the Mii in the original, and the already announced NASCAR driver and Wreck-It Ralph), not necessarily that some of the platform-exclusive characters are SEGA characters

At least, that's the way I'm hoping it's meant. Every bit of news about this game seems to make me less hyped for it.

Pociask

Any word if Segata Sanshiro will get in? If not as a driver, he'd make an awesome shield item. Really though, he should drive around with a giant Sega Saturn controller strapped to him. Maybe his car is just a Sega Saturn controller.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So there aren't actually 29 different characters after all? Are they counting different transformations of each character as a "playable choice?"

I like the look of the character, he's cute and charming. I don't give a toss about the LBP games though.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
With each passing bite o' news I see from this game the more annoyed with it I become. Great marketing job Segac! I've gone from a surefire Day 1 buyer to reallyyyy uncertain about grabbing this one.

Top Bottom