• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BrazilGAF |OT| of Samba, Carnaval... and letting GAF have a sample of it all!

ledman

Would be cool to put our most beautiful actress on the OP, everybody talks about how Brazilian girls are incredible but few people know what girls Brazilians found to be the hottest ones.
Putting some of our most famous musicians will be nice too, like Caetano Veloso, Titãs , Chico Buarque , Legião Urbana, etc. Most music foreigners' know that come from Brazil are funk and Michel Teló wich is really terrible

ledman

Just look at SBT's list of the 100 greatest brazillians.

*insert laughing gif here*

Tiririca, Joelma, Dedé, Luan Santana, Bispo Edir Macedo????
How Luan Santana can be more important than Carlos Drummond de Andrade,Chico Buarque, Tom Jobim, Jorge Amado?
What's wrong with us?

FACE

Banned
How can you laugh at a list that has Michel Teló, man?

That shit's the real deal.

You're right, I shouldn't laugh. Teló is the greatest exponent of brazilian culture since Tom Jobim, "Ai se eu te pego" is "Girl from Ipanema" for the 21st century.

Tiririca, Joelma, Dedé, Luan Santana, Bispo Edir Macedo????
How Luan Santana can be more important than Carlos Drummond de Andrade,Chico Buarque, Tom Jobim, Jorge Amado?
What's wrong with us?

More important than Carlos Chagas, Vital Brazil and Roberto Landell de Moura too!

vinicius

Neo Member
Oh this reminds me my pet peeve with you people.

My Brazilian friends, you are awesome and have beyond amazing bodies, why the hell do you ruin them with terrible tattoos? why? Even old people have tattoos, and they are horrible.
I really never thought about tatoos being more popular over here than elsewhere, but weirdly enough I do know a lot of people that have tatoos, including my father and most of my uncles. I guess it was a trend in their youth? Or maybe it continues to be.

And now that I think of it, while elsewhere it feels like something of an underground scene, these people on beaches (ew) in rio are not really the underground/indie style, they're tatooing stars and dragons to feel sexy I guess.

Would love to go, everytime i've met a Brazilian they've been awesome, friendly people! And they've all mentioned to me (i'm Italian) that they got tons of Italians there, more than Argentina (as if it was something to be proud about, lol).

btw, what kind of effect had the italian immigration on brazil's culture, if anything?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Would be cool to put our most beautiful actress on the OP, everybody talks about how Brazilian girls are incredible but few people know what girls Brazilians found to be the hottest ones.

We need Isis Valverde, Mariana Felício, Deborah Secco, Tessália Serighelli, Juliana Paes, Taís Araújo, Letícia Spiller, Renata Dominguez, Mel Franckowiak, Nathalia Dill, Sophia Abrahão, Flávia Alessandra, Lívia Andrade, Fernanda Vasconcellos, Sophie Charlotte, Mariana Ximenes, Karina Bacchi, Alessandra Negrini and millions of others up there, then!

Fry

We need Isis Valverde, Mariana Felício, Deborah Secco, Tessália Serighelli, Juliana Paes, Taís Araújo, Letícia Spiller, Renata Dominguez, Mel Franckowiak, Nathalia Dill, Sophia Abrahão, Flávia Alessandra, Lívia Andrade, Fernanda Vasconcellos, Sophie Charlotte, Mariana Ximenes, Karina Bacchi, Alessandra Negrini and millions of others up there, then!

Don't forget Ellen Roche.

Never.

Cielo! No! NO! Fuckity fuckdy fuck! I still cannot believe it! 2-time world champion, has the all-time world record, had the world olympic record, the best time of the year, was the first in the semifinals...

God damn it!

Brazil

And Sabrina Sato, Livia Andrade, Alinne Moraes , Carolina Dieckmann, Priscila Fantin

and my favourites : Paola Oliveira and Fernanda Lima.

Well, Paola Oliveira is also my favorite (alongside Negrini), but she's already in the OP!

ledman

Voted by the public and that makes it more depressing.

I'm can almost guarantee that most the public only knows soccer players,TV artist and recent popular musicians. SBT put a lot of really important names there to avoid the list losing most of its already low credibility.

Ra1den

So what's the real story on crime in Brazil? Some say it is super dangerous, others say it's not.

Naturally, I understand that there are dangerous places in any big city in the world, like Rio. But I've heard that it's common for any somewhat well-known figure visiting the country to hire body guards due to dangers.

What's the real deal?

ledman

So what's the real story on crime in Brazil? Some say it is super dangerous, others say it's not.

Naturally, I understand that there are dangerous places in any big city in the world, like Rio. But I've heard that it's common for any somewhat well-known figure visiting the country to hire body guards due to dangers.

What's the real deal?

Rio and São Paulo are really dangerous cities, but they're are far from be the most violent ones right now. Things improved a lot in the last ten years on São Paulo per example.

Brazil

Naturally, I understand that there are dangerous places in any big city in the world. But I've heard that it's common for any somewhat well-known figure visiting the country to hire body guards due to dangers.

What's the real deal?

In São Paulo, at least, it isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Obviously, there are dangerous places that no one should visit - but, really, there are no reasons to visit them in the first place. You can have all the daytime and nighttime fun you want safely - and, trust me, there's a lot of fun to be had in this humongous city.

In the end, just like in every big city, probably nothing will happen to you if you're careful (and not stupid). You can't walk into a favela in the middle of the night, for example, and you can't walk around the central region alone. But there's no "fear culture" at all.

With that said, tourists definitely have to take extra precautions, because criminals obviously view them as easier (and richer) targets. I guess that's why imporant people bring in bodyguards and all that.

red13th

Oh, it's very dangerous for sure. The astonishing numbers you see on the statistics are a bit skewed though, because they are averages and crime is unequally distributed. Spatially, I mean. Here in my city there are neighbourhoods that, isolated, would have higher murder rates than warring countries, and that obviously drives up the numbers. Not to say there isn't crime in the better parts of town, but it isn't what you might be led to believe when you look at the numbers... since they are pretty crazy.

Salvadora

Oh, it's very dangerous for sure. The astonishing numbers you see on the statistics are a bit skewed though, because they are averages and crime is unequally distributed. Spatially, I mean. Here in my city there are neighbourhoods that, isolated, would have higher murder rates than warring countries, and that obviously drives up the numbers. Not to say there isn't crime in the better parts of town, but it isn't what you might be led to believe when you look at the numbers... since they are pretty crazy.

This sounds incredibly frightening, What's stopping it from overflowing into other parts of the city?

Mobius 1

Fellow countrymen, welcome.

How the fuck there is no Ayrton Senna in the OP? I move to have you extradicted to fucking Buenos Aires.

Brazil

This sounds incredibly frightening, What's stopping it from overflowing into other parts of the city?

Stuff like that happens because the police forces are not equally distributed throughout most cities. Units are positioned almost literally as "dams" that keep the criminality locked in the poorer districts.

It's fucked up.

red13th

It already does to some degree, but the places I mentioned that have sky high murder rates are the city's major drug corners. That kinda makes them more violent than the rest of town by default (to a staggering degree as a matter of fact) since dealers routinely kill each other and are killed by the police.

So OP, put more interesting Brazilians in there: Ayrton Senna, Anderson Silva, Santos Dumont, César Lattes, Machado de Assis, Tarsila do Amaral, Eike Batista, Princess Isabel, Paulo Coelho... :D

dokish

Banned
Belo HorizonteGAF here...cheers!

Hey, me too!

I can help with some photos in the future, since I wanna dust off my Nikon D3100.

I won't make any recommendations yet because tourists rarely come to Belo Horizonte. Shame tho, it's a great place.

Você esqueceu Açaí. O pessoal é louco com Açaí.

Mobius 1

Hey, me too!

I can help with some photos in the future, since I wanna dust off my Nikon D3100.

I won't make any recommendations yet because tourists rarely come to Belo Horizonte. Shame tho, it's a great place.

Você esqueceu Açaí. O pessoal é louco com Açaí.

Another one from BH. Galo!

mantidor

Stuff like that happens because the police forces are not equally distributed throughout most cities. Units are positioned almost literally as "dams" that keep the criminality locked in the poorer districts.

It's fucked up.

This is what has shocked me the most about Rio, is basically two entirely different cities. People love to talk about inequality back in my country but they have no idea of the level that can achieve here.

Guri

I'm from Brasília! Hope to help you all! I really like it here, mostly because it's a planned city and everything is very close. We also have a growing gaming market!

qcf x2

Brazil is like my dream destination. In my mind it's already way better than anything could possibly be in this world, but some time in the next few years I intend to find out just how far off base my vision is!

Aku-Audi

Glad to finally see this thread get made.

As mentioned in the other Brazil thread, I am born and raised in Norway but at 19 I decided to travel and ended up in Sao Paulo for a few years, living in Itaim and trying to learn Portuguese and live among my new Brazilian brothers and sisters, which was quite a challenge considering the culture clash, however I learned a lot about being open, approaching life with excitement and being positive from living there.

It's been many years since I lived there now, as I left in 2008, but I still consider it something of a home, and I still feel very close to Brazilian people. Most of all I miss coxinhas.

Brazil

Glad to finally see this thread get made.

As mentioned in the other Brazil thread, I am born and raised in Norway but at 19 I decided to travel and ended up in Sao Paulo for a few years, living in Itaim and trying to learn Portuguese and live among my new Brazilian brothers and sisters, which was quite a challenge considering the culture clash, however I learned a lot about being open, approaching life with excitement and being positive from living there.

It's been many years since I lived there now, as I left in 2008, but I still consider it something of a home, and I still feel very close to Brazilian people. Most of all I miss coxinhas.

Hahaha, this post is the perfect lead-up to the final line.

cousins

How would a non-white person be treated while visiting southern Brazil? I've heard that racial politics are really complicated for you guys. I want to visit Salvador at some point as well.

Top Bottom