• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. Entertainment files trademark for "Blacksite: Area 51" ("reboot" time?)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On April 23, 2014, Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. filed a trademark in the US via the USPTO for "Blacksite: Area 51". It entered the Trademark Reporting and Monitoring System (TRAM) this past weekend, on April 26. It's a basic 1(b) Intent-to-Use filing, and reads as following:

Word Mark BLACKSITE AREA 51
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Video game cartridges; Video game discs; Video game software; Video game programs; Computer game cartridges; Computer game discs; Computer game software; Computer game programs; Electronic game software; Electronic game programs; Interactive video game software; Interactive video game programs; Computer game software for use on mobile and cellular phones, personal digital assistants, electronic organizers, electronic notepads, handheld computers, and portable and handheld digital electronic devices; Downloadable video game programs; Downloadable computer game programs; Downloadable electronic game programs; Downloadable software for use in playing online computer games, Downloadable computer game software; Downloadable computer game software for use on mobile and cellular phones, personal digital assistants, electronic organizers, electronic notepads, handheld computers, and portable and handheld digital electronic devices; Computer application software
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 86260868
Filing Date April 23, 2014
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE Bldg. 156 North, Room 5178 4000 Warner Blvd. Burbank CALIFORNIA 91522
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86260868&docId=APP20140426081308#docIndex=0&page=1

Warner Bros. Entertainment aquired Midway Games back in 2009 and took most, but not all, of that company's assets, with Mortal Kombat probably being the prime example.What happened to Blacksite: Area 51 I don't know, but the owner of the original trademark is still listed as Midway Games, no change in ownership there. Though Warner Bros. filed new applications for Mortal Kombat with its latest reboot, the old trademarks were not touched, so it could just be the way they handle Midway stuff.

The original trademark (US serial number 77019517) does however feature fewer goods and services than this new one:

Word Mark BLACKSITE AREA 51
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: COMPUTER AND VIDEO GAME PROGRAMS RECORDED ON CARTRIDGES, DISCS, CD-ROMS, CASSETTES, TAPES AND MINI DISCS; VIDEO AND COMPUTER GAME SOFTWARE. FIRST USE: 20071112. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20071112
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Trademark Search Facility Classification Code NUM-26-UP 51 Other Numerals - 26 and Up
Serial Number 77019517
Filing Date October 12, 2006
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition May 29, 2007
Registration Number 3415018
Registration Date April 22, 2008
Owner (REGISTRANT) Midway Games West Inc. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 2704 W. Roscoe Street Chicago ILLINOIS 60618
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record Megan L. Martin
Prior Registrations 2006670
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn77019517&docId=APP20061016063749#docIndex=17&page=1

Whatever it is, it's a new filing with quite an array of goods and services. Reboot incoming, Steam release (as suggested by Jawmuncher) or Warner Bros. just doing some basic paperwork? Who knows, but E3's getting real close.

blacksiteordyi.png

blacksite_12ni8q.png

Released in 2007 for Xbox 360 and PS3, 2008 for PC. Developed by Midway Studios - Austin Inc. There was also Area 51 for PC, PS2 and Xbox, developed by the same studio and released in 2005.

Jawmuncher

Blacksite was an awesome B shooter. If anything I think this means that Warner Bros is FINALLY going through the midway catalog to start rereleasing games on Steam and the like. Would love to see The Suffering and Psi-Ops as well.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Huh, interesting series to reboot. maybe this will be Warner Bros San Francisco studio game debut.

Gaz_RB

I actually remember having a lot of fun with Blacksite... that was back in the day when the internet informed my opinions a lot less.

Tapejara

Blacksite was one of the first FPS games I played; perhaps that's why I enjoyed it so much. Hopefully WB is planning a reboot.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
WB also filed some trademarks for WB Games San Francisco around the same time. They're purview is mobile/freemium (not console or PC), so I'm guessing this is related to that, if anything.

2mad2behere

Neo Member
I would love them to reboot Area 51, fuck the Blacksite, get me the 2005 version rebooted (which you can download free).

I don't know how many people played the game, obviously not whole lot since they made it free for download on PC after only 6 or seven years.

That game was awesome, graphically insane at the time and atmosphere to die for. The shooting was fun and the guns were great, especially the shotgun was very "meaty".

Also, the PS2 version wasn't crushed by the reviews, like the Blacksite version. It was a fun game but really disappointing after having played the first one couple years earlier.

Top Bottom