• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny viral marketing campaign/teaser sites begin

1360679755840.jpg

I'd take any new graphics (unless incredibly clear or able to be verified with a site url like the first one) with a grain of salt for now. There isn't enough people to clarify the images enough to pull much of value from them.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Goddamn I missed this. I missed the way Bungie can keep people glued to their computers trying to figure something out before a big reveal. God it's just been too long. Welcome back Bungie.

monome

Goddamn I missed this. I missed the way Bungie can keep people glued to their computers trying to figure something out before a big reveal. God it's just been too long. Welcome back Bungie.

well we've had pretty substantial leaks courtesy of Activision which have shed much light on what preliminary reveals can be.

That said, it's nice to see they don't mind and do their thing regardless.
But we've seen artworks and brief story points so at this point of the ARG, I can go to Google and enjoy them again.
To me, ARGs are supposed to drive me crazy, only to be assuaged by Bungie's Love. it's not happening this way this time.
Activision stole Christmas (been too long since GAF has bashed Activision, I could not resist).

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
well we've had pretty substantial leaks courtesy of Activision which have shed much light on what preliminary reveals can be.

That said, it's nice to see they don't mind and do their thing regardless.
But we've seen artworks and brief story points so at this point of the ARG, I can go to Google and enjoy them again.
To me, ARGs are supposed to drive me crazy, only to be assuaged by Bungie's Love. it's not happening this way this time.
Activision stole Christmas (been too long since GAF has bashed Activision, I could not resist).

Meh. Can't help what was done during a court case. Also yea it gave us bits and pieces but these is the real deal now. This is Bungie revealing details and hyping it. No more will we have to deal with leaks about bits and pieces. It hypes me up just for that reason alone.

Also I don't get the hate Activision gets. They are a business out to make money. So what if they release a game series yearly. At least they do divide it up between developers giving it more time unlike certain other developers. cough*EA*cough. Also to Activision's credit they don't do near the evil shit other companies do. They have taken a stand and not charged for online play in their games by including online passes, etc. In fact the oh so evil Bobby Kotick spoke out against those. Yea they do the DLC bullshit but so does everyone now days. Just don't buy that. I don't.

So they're not so bad I think. Now EA yea they deserve all the hate they get. So do a couple others. But Activision no I think they get shit on very unfairly a lot.

How amazing would it be if Destiny (assuming it is some kind of FPS adventure) included full oculus rift support? A hugely addicting MMO with oculus rift would probably make a lot of people never want to leave home again.

Could be bad actually....

DTKT

How amazing would it be if Destiny (assuming it is some kind of FPS adventure) included full oculus rift support? A hugely addicting MMO with oculus rift would probably make a lot of people never want to leave home again.

Could be bad actually....

I thought that Destiny was never listed for PC.

Just woke up...

jvfsr99mt153v.jpg

this thread basically just a place for reposting 4chan and Reddit efforts now? No context to most of the new images.

Woorloog

Banned
So... do we gather the stuff we find somewhere or what?
How many unique pictures there are?

EDIT got this text (link read: [Note: (x, y) visibility limited. (u, v) analysis might prove useful.]):

---

Our sky is filled with unseen signals. Radio-frequency emissions pulse and flit and dance all around us. Yet even a singing patch of sky can be observed, and transformed into a range of frequencies.

Can you hear it? No, not yet. It has not yet arrived. But together we can receive its call.

Imagine combining the observations of thousands across the globe on an object meandering through the heavens. The resulting array would be quite large. Quite powerful. This is your task.

Alone it will not be enough. Coordination and timing is needed. Observations must be made simultaneously.

Your window will be small. Five minutes at most. But windows may be reopened. And the distance between observer pairs will be key.

There will always be limitations in clarity, so the results must be archived for study. Highly technical observers may be required. Detailed frequency analysis is recommended.

Everything that belongs to us will be ours, but only if we create the capacity to receive it.

---

Normal?

EDIT i'll note that i've never really taken part in ARGs.

Just woke up...

this thread basically just a place for reposting 4chan and Reddit efforts now? No context to most of the new images.

I think most of us that were working on it last night went to sleep and then work, so our progress has stalled. Though, it didn't seem we had anyone participating that had shop skills so the majority of the work we were doing was involved in figuring out the key to clearing the images. That's known now.

Do we know if its counting IPs, unique browser sessions or something else? Can I do multiple browsers?

It appears to be IP address. From what the various communities have been able to surmise, the site has to have a lot of hits from unique IP addresses all over the world (the further apart the better) all within the same 5 minute window to develop the images. The first puzzles right side image held the key to finding the clean version of the image on the left. We're assuming that the second puzzle will follow suit.

Edit: The geomask with the QR code behind it is Tuesday's puzzle. When you go to the site you can activate either puzzle by clicking the number of the corresponding day. This is how they've designed it to force us to solve the puzzles while still being able to introduce new puzzles each day. So there will be no automatic solve simply by waiting for the next day.

wwm0nkey

Yup. Definitely wrong on that one. My only concern no is that this part of the ARG could end up with the payoff only being a bit of lore. Its still fun though so it's only a minor concern.

Bungie said the game would be revealed in a few weeks and the fact they are updating their twitter and facebook with Destiny stuff? Its happening.

So what's the deal with that map behind the first picture. I don't see any relation.

If you go back into earlier destiny hints, there are maps with the same star/ circle pattern. The maps are old us surveys of a bay in the phillipines. The circles on the left correspond exactly, and some people are layering them over real maps of the area on Google. I'd get the link, but I'm on my phone.

awa64

Banned
Meh. Can't help what was done during a court case. Also yea it gave us bits and pieces but these is the real deal now. This is Bungie revealing details and hyping it. No more will we have to deal with leaks about bits and pieces. It hypes me up just for that reason alone.

Also I don't get the hate Activision gets. They are a business out to make money. So what if they release a game series yearly. At least they do divide it up between developers giving it more time unlike certain other developers. cough*EA*cough. Also to Activision's credit they don't do near the evil shit other companies do. They have taken a stand and not charged for online play in their games by including online passes, etc. In fact the oh so evil Bobby Kotick spoke out against those. Yea they do the DLC bullshit but so does everyone now days. Just don't buy that. I don't.

So they're not so bad I think. Now EA yea they deserve all the hate they get. So do a couple others. But Activision no I think they get shit on very unfairly a lot.

Activision hasn't been as bad lately, but still, their yearly-release-schedule-until-they've-killed-the-franchise-and/or-genre strategy is bad for the industry, even if they are giving developers on their biggest franchise (not all) two years to do games and alternating between multiple studios.

And their repeated behavior of firing developers, not paying them what they're owed, and then suing anyone who tries to work with them left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths that still hasn't really gone away.

Predicting it: the Tricorn name is a red herring and the sigil really represents Tricom, short for Trinity Command or something similar. Think the token scary dogmatic faction of the game similar to the Covenant.

Top Bottom