• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

This game is 30 Dollars?

Either way I think id pay 60 since future content is free. Show me how it's done.

Game is a breathe of fresh air. People need to buy this game. Hope the beta issues can be orbited out. Best mp shooter of the year

Disagree, I played the beta on PS4 and PC and the matchmaking was dire, tried it at the weekend again on PC and it's still dire.

I can't buy a game that's pretty much online only but isn't actually capable of putting me in a playable game.

The game itself is very good when you get into it, but constant connection issues are very off putting for people with limited game time.

I enjoyed the beta and it seems you did, too. I'm not expecting extremely high review scores but I'm expecting better than what some people are expecting. Solid 7-8s with a few 9s. Technical issues will probably be the main thing but I hope those are few and far between.

Also I hope nobody is expecting a huge population for this game. It's not going to happen which will also probably be a good thing. I can see this game instantly weeding people out because of the huge difference between it and CoD/Battlefield.

The beta was tons of fun, though. I could see this having decent legs and making great videos. The destructible environments are so good, too. In the last beta, we were in that room with all the windows around it and set up perfect defenses with shields and that machine gun mount but two teammates got killed because they got shot through the floor. You can't get that tense/confused feeling from a lot of games.

Yeah there is nothing really like it at the moment.

While I do wish you could infiltrate from pretty much any angle, I do understand why it was removed.

And for the record, Castle and Mute are going to team up to wall off chokepoints and jam them. You'll know they're waiting on the other side, but you can't do anything. That's where Ash comes in.

Dankul

Played the beta all weekend and really enjoyed it. The tension is unparalleled to anything I've played recently. I live in LA and had minimal server problems on PC. Although there was only 3 maps, it didn't get stale because each round focuses on different sections of the map and the dynamics can change dramatically depending on the team. Therefore, 11+4 maps may be sufficient for me. I do wish there was more than three modes on release and that the weapon customization was somehow different.

Disagree, I played the beta on PS4 and PC and the matchmaking was dire, tried it at the weekend again on PC and it's still dire.

I can't buy a game that's pretty much online only but isn't actually capable of putting me in a playable game.

The game itself is very good when you get into it, but constant connection issues are very off putting for people with limited game time.

What the hell is with the appalling matchmaking?
I was unable to play any multiplayer games. I just sat there being matched for 15 minutes. After about 5 minutes we had a full team, but everyone was still stuck on loading untill we just gave up.

Since this beta is just before release day, it's essentially a promotional demo and not a 'real' beta.
Why the hell would you do that if your matchmaking is shit. Because I've got no reason to expect it to be better on release day.

Matchmaking/load times seem critical for a game like this, since there is no respawning. It's very easy for matchmaking/loading/waiting-for-next-match times to vastly outstrip your actual playtime.

Okay, I just noticed that the guy with the big fucking hammer is from John O'Groats (seriously, did they just google 'north britain'). Why is he called 'Sledge' and not "McHammer"?

XBP

I've had so much fun with this game in the last 2 days. After the first few days of problems in the last beta, the last 2 days have been amazing. Haven't been this tense playing any online game before, so god damn good.

I just really hope the PC community gives this a chance, it can be so much fun with the right team.

Deception

The only things holding me back from this being a day one purchase are the servers, and the lack of game modes. I know this game isn't meant to be a typical shooter but the lack of a TDM style game type or CTF or anything is going to turn off a lot of casuals.

madp0k

This is very much my type of fps. Hopefully enough friends will buy it to hold a team every night.
I'd like to game with UK GAF also,but I don't usually play until around 10pm GMT so I guess I limit the scope of uk people to game with.(family life is hugely rewarding but time consuming)
Anyone who games later in the evening until about 0.30 am,feel free to drop me a pm.

Give me a couple of weeks ;)

Sectus

Got my PC copy a couple of days ago (https://40.media.tumblr.com/e39b814eb511cf1b9369444d7ab14cb8/tumblr_nyiwjx7Mff1tiz823o1_r1_540.jpg). I can't boot it up yet of course, but I was able to install the game and look at some of the files. I'm not sure if this is known yet, but this is the list of maps for release:
House
Oregon
Hereford Base
Club House
Presidential Plane
Consulate
Bank
Kanal
Chalet
Harvard
Cafe Puskkin

There's a mention of a yacht map, but it isn't among the game files, so maybe that'll be one of first post-launch maps.

The list of singleplayer/coop modes in the OP is not correct. If you go to the weird ubi soft tactical planner thing, you get this list of modes:
Situation (I think these are the short singleplayer missions)
Disarm Bomb
Protect Hostage
Extract Hostage
Terrorist Hunt Classic

I'm curious to see how the hostage modes plays with the AI. And maybe "protect hostage" actually lets you play as defenders in coop.

I'm really hoping the game's launch won't be too broken. This is the most fun I've had in a shooter in many years, but it's gonna be really frustrating if the servers keep disconnecting you. I wish they'd simply have the function to let players host their own servers and have friends join via IP in case Ubi Soft's own servers stop working (which seems like a big possibility based on the betas).

Emedan

I kinda enjoyed the beta but the TH in that one was kinda poop. The constant charge of enemies when disarming a bomb, I mean what the hell. No fixed amount of people, like a fucking battalion would fit in a house. It diminishes the point of a tactical shooter when you can't make valid plays and planning.

King_Moc

Banned
I kinda enjoyed the beta but the TH in that one was kinda poop. The constant charge of enemies when disarming a bomb, I mean what the hell. No fixed amount of people, like a fucking battalion would fit in a house. It diminishes the point of a tactical shooter when you can't make valid plays and planning.

Yeah, terrorist hunt classic will be where it's at.

I couldn't agree more. I hope they look at that and change it.

Raytow

Indeed was expecting 5 vs 5 or perhaps a few more on the terrorist side, not a horde in a small house as soon as you deploy the defuser...

Jackpot

Banned
Purchase-deciding question: Can we use Defenders in offline Terrorist Hunt or is half the content still arbitrarily locked away from offline play?

Nestunt

This game is so full of great ideas

Too bad they did not have the money or the release window (and maybe the execution) to put all that characterization of the operators, the Angela Bassett stuff and the fight against terrorist cells into some meaningful story and single player experience.

Instead it feels like a moba

King_Moc

Banned
Purchase-deciding question: Can we use Defenders in offline Terrorist Hunt or is half the content still arbitrarily locked away from offline play?

Think it's attackers only (I'm sure that's all I could pick from when I did it). Having access to things like the heartbeat scanner seems way overpowered for infiltration.

_Legacy_

I'm still not convinced by this game, seems like a lack of content. No way is this worth the full retail price in the UK. Are people buying this day one?

I don't see why defenders look like attackers in pvp. Couldn't they have given terrorist characters defensive abilities?
I decorated a wall with the insides of my teammates head last night,and tbh he got quite upset.
We've been friends for over 35 yrs and stood side by side to see each of us enter into blissful wedlock and are godparents to each others first born. Now he isn't speaking to me :-o Thanks ubisoft.
Still my favourite fps since search and destroy on Cod 4.

MJLord

Two things really get on my nerves about this game. Why are certain weapons attatched to operators? Why not just have the ability locked to them and let me choose the weapon?

Why can't I choose which bloody map to play in private matches?

Going to wait until this weekend to see how servers, reviews and impressions from this thread. None of my friends are buying this game but I do have a soft spot for Rainbow Six.

XBP

I'm still not convinced by this game, seems like a lack of content. No way is this worth the full retail price in the UK. Are people buying this day one?

Yeah. Pre-ordered it after playing the beta for the last couple of days. Its just plain fun.

piccolo85

The beta was super fun, when it worked. I would really like to get this game but I don't think it is worth full price. Will jump in as soon as I can get this for 35€! If there only was a SWAT4 like singleplayer campaign...

I feel like there is very little interest in this game on GAF, threads move very slowly. People didn't even seem to care when the open beta was delayed. Could this be an indication that this game will sell badly? Or is it just me who feels like this?

Everdred

I've been a part of four playtest periods and I love it. They basically made the game I've always wanted for the last 10 years. The biggest complaint I have is the lack of doors. I would have loved a single player campaign but that's honestly only 7 hours out of thousands that I'll get.

Plus only $42 on PC.

I played the alpha, the closed beta, and the open one. This is an absolute buy for me, it's all I want to play right now! Picking up my copy tomorrow morning!

Keasar

Gonna wait for reports on how the game is doing server wise and reviews, but I have luckily a bunch of friends who are interested in playing this.

What I still find kinda odd though is the setting of the Defenders also being FBI, Spetsnaz, GSG9 etc. members. I kinda wish they would have gone the little extra distance and designed several different terror organizations with its own unique look and Operators. Just to really cement the Police vs. Terrorist theme. Have they given a reason why its just police vs. police? Is it the sensitive nature of the current situation in the real world or?

Yushi

Had a lot of fun with friends when it worked. If I were to get this game, i would wait for the servers to be stable, by the time that happens I will already be in a more interresting game.

No buy from me.

_Legacy_

The beta was super fun, when it worked. I would really like to get this game but I don't think it is worth full price. Will jump in as soon as I can get this for 35€! If there only was a SWAT4 like singleplayer campaign...

I feel like there is very little interest in this game on GAF, threads move very slowly. People didn't even seem to care when the open beta was delayed. Could this be an indication that this game will sell badly? Or is it just me who feels like this?

Yeah there is certainly very little interest, thread movement is a key indicator. I have a lot of FPS friends and they didn't even try the latest beta. I used to love Rainbow Six but really fear for the numbers when the game releases. Not enough people care for this game, maybe interest will pique after an inevitable price drop.

Hzoltan69

I don't really have co-op friends on PC (Uplay), so if any of you want to team up, please send me a PM or FR. I'm Hzoltan969 on Uplay...

DryvBy

This was my biggest let down of the year. I was already disappointed with the lack of a campaign but then playing it finally, I'm out. It's nowhere near as good as similar games for me. Vegas was already actionman's version of a tactical shooter, but at least it was a blast. And the broken terrorist hunt in Vegas was fun. This one just has the most horrible AI I've seen in a modern game.

Very interested in reviews just to see if the final has some issues ironed out.

I can understand concern over servers and issues.

I don't blame anyone for waiting. But of its working we really need to help people know this game is fun.

I am a huge halo fan but 5 isnt great. But this game is actually fun and people are using mics.

I always head people asking me if I was good or clear. Really enjoy it.

Roni

Gold Member
I pre-ordered the game without much hype to it, because I enjoy competitive FPS's that have been built with the right ideas in mind, but this OT has made me officially hyped. Those Idris Elba ads didn't hurt either...

SomTervo

See, I'm pretty sure you can. Poster above mentioned Protect Hostage as a TH game mode. And somebody else told me about this separately about a week ago.

The prospect of being constantly assaulted by Realistic-difficulty terrorists is already giving me PTSD.

Two things really get on my nerves about this game. Why are certain weapons attatched to operators? Why not just have the ability locked to them and let me choose the weapon?

Why can't I choose which bloody map to play in private matches?

I thought this initially, too. However, the more you play it the more it makes sense. It encourages more team play and more strategies. After playing for about 10 hours with 3 friends co-op and PVP over the weekend, we were all genuinely having conversations like "Right, we're playing this map, friend-A use Glaz and do this, friend-B you've got Montagne right? Take him and use the shield. Friend-C use the guy with the shotgun and back up friend-B" etc.

It gets really engaging. Matching it with their unique abilities makes it extra-deep.

Re choosing your map - hopefully that's just a beta thing. It is a pain in the butt - but all the maps seem great regardless.

This was my biggest let down of the year. I was already disappointed with the lack of a campaign but then playing it finally, I'm out. It's nowhere near as good as similar games for me. Vegas was already actionman's version of a tactical shooter, but at least it was a blast. And the broken terrorist hunt in Vegas was fun. This one just has the most horrible AI I've seen in a modern game.

Very interested in reviews just to see if the final has some issues ironed out.

What difficult did you use? On Realistic TH Classic it has some of the best sandbox AI I've seen in a videogame. This most recent beta seemed to have worse AI, the Bomb Disposal situation seems to throw them for a loop. Still good, though. They don't seem very hitscan-ey either, and do miss you quite easily.

DryvBy

What difficult did you use? On Realistic TH Classic it has some of the best sandbox AI I've seen in a videogame. This most recent beta seemed to have worse AI, the Bomb Disposal situation seems to throw them for a loop. Still good, though. They don't seem very hitscan-ey either, and do miss you quite easily.

Realistic. I died a lot with my crew but the AI was caught several times standing in corner facing the opposite way of a doorway. Or the complete opposite where the mission first began, I'd be sneaking on a roof and they're be one guy walking outside to instant spot me. When it was hard, it felt like COD on hard where AI just knows where you are.

Top Bottom