• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Down

Banned
Lmao they probably would've painted jorts onto Franky.

maxresdefault.jpg

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Remember the days when you had to go on irc to dl new volumes from Null?

I think there was a point where we didn't get stuff on w chapter to chapter basis. We had to wait for them to release a graphic novel in Japan and we'd get them in volumes. I think. I don't remember but your post lines up with my experience.
While I was catching up a few years back, i read some of the null translations. Awful

It isn't just that, OP, unfortunately, isn't much popular outside Japan. I blame 4kids for it tho.

One Piece was definitely hampered some in Engilsh speaking countries, but the world is a lot more than just those countries, and there are definitely places where One Piece is really popular outside of Japan.

Even in the US, One Piece has definitely gained a lot in popularity in recent years.

I doubt you'd see bigger numbers than those for more than Naruto and Dragon Ball.

Ray Down

Banned
One Piece was definitely hampered some in Engilsh speaking countries, but the world is a lot more than just those countries, and there are definitely places where One Piece is really popular outside of Japan.

Even in the US, One Piece has definitely gained a lot in popularity in recent years.

I doubt you'd see bigger numbers than those for more than Naruto and Dragon Ball.

OP really needed to be on Toonami and had a better dub to hit those levels.

While I was catching up a few years back, i read some of the null translations. Awful

Back in the day if you wanted to be "current" you had to read Null. Official volumes were so behind and I don't recall any competition. Null was the one you read. It was either that or watch the anime, which was still behind. I don't think One Piece started to get regular, better scanlations until one manga and other manga reading sites became a thing.

Syntsui

It isn't just that, OP, unfortunately, isn't much popular outside Japan. I blame 4kids for it tho.

Whose fault is it that it's not popular anywhere else? I can only blame the stupid artstyle, I remember being disgusted just looking at Luffy's face when I was a kid. Who would have thought it would become my favorite manga ever lol.

Puruzi

Banned
Whose fault is it that it's not popular anywhere else? I can only blame the stupid artstyle, I remember being disgusted just looking at Luffy's face when I was a kid. Who would have thought it would become my favorite manga ever lol.

One Piece's art is god tier

Red Fire

Tbf one piece's artstyle is only good if you are into the series. Before i started one piece i used think this is the ugliest shit ever. After i got used to it i started to really like it. Heard the same from my brother and many others. The artstyle is really weird.

I've never really gotten the art style complaints. Even when I first saw it, I thought it was really striking and distinctive from the very start, and it made me want to see more of it.

Puruzi

Banned
Tbf one piece's artstyle is only good if you are into the series. Before i started one piece i used think this is the ugliest shit ever. After i got used to it i started to really like it. Heard the same from my brother and many others. The artstyle is really weird.

I liked One Piece's style as soon as I saw it.

caliph95

I didn't care for the art style as a kid due to me being an "edgy" teen, i think if i remember that thought stuff like Naruto was "adult" had shit taste till i watched F;Z and Trigun.

I would have been that dumb kid that loves Akame and TG for being mature and realistic

I watched the anime and then tried to switch to the manga, but for whatever reason, I found it really off-putting, so I had to start from the beginning to ease into the later art. Really couldn't stand Fishman Island; the little effects to make it clear that you're underwater really just made panels seem cluttered to me.

Dressrosa ended up being pretty good for me, art-wise.

Veelk

Banned
I know there are a few people here who disapprove of the sharper and more cluttered evolution of OP's art, but I think it's an improvement (aside from some things like female character designs).

Like many, I didn't like OP's art at all at first, but I grew used to it. However, when I went back and reread the manga, I still disliked how it looked early on. So it wasn't just a matter of getting used to OP's art style for me, it was definitely worse back then and got better. I have to emphasize how sparse the early chapters were. They weren't badly drawn on a technical level, but it felt even more cartoony than it does now since it felt more flat and everything lacked the detail we'd see in later chapters. For me, it made it harder to immerse myself in the world because it looked so obviously fake.

Now, the art is still fairly cartoonish, but it's also much more elaborate, so there is more of a density to everything.

Also, it's part of the story as well. Earlier locations were sometimes had a gimmick, but were actually more normal than not and we could say they were rather bland. Now, everything we see is more unique.

caliph95

The art yeah generally got a lot better as time went on (except for the femal characters though using the same design and looking like Nami though this arc does a good jon averting that) I prefer the art now than it was then

Lunar15

I know there are a few people here who disapprove of the sharper and more cluttered evolution of OP's art, but I think it's an improvement (aside from some things like female character designs).

Like many, I didn't like OP's art at all at first, but I grew used to it. However, when I went back and reread the manga, I still disliked how it looked early on. So it wasn't just a matter of getting used to OP's art style for me, it was definitely worse back then and got better. I have to emphasize how sparse the early chapters were. They weren't badly drawn on a technical level, but it felt even more cartoony than it does now since it felt more flat and everything lacked the detail we'd see in later chapters. For me, it made it harder to immerse myself in the world because it looked so obviously fake.

Now, the art is still fairly cartoonish, but it's also much more elaborate, so there is more of a density to everything.

Also, it's part of the story as well. Earlier locations were sometimes had a gimmick, but were actually more normal than not and we could say they were rather bland. Now, everything we see is more unique.

For me, Enies Lobby was the peak. It hit a good mid-way point between the super-rounded early stuff and the way overcluttered and sketchy modern stuff.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah, everyone I know (including myself) had had a similar experience.

For me, Enies Lobby was the peak. It hit a good mid-way point between the super-rounded early stuff and the way overcluttered and sketchy modern stuff.
I also agree with this.

2960665BIMAGE5D20One20Piece2042bis.jpg

This is perfection. Not too lanky like the earlier stuff, but less streamlined than the modern stuff. Although there are some modern characters with really cool designs that compliment the newer artstyle really well, like Jack, Smoothie, Caesar, and Kin'emon.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I ain't crazy about Robin's new look, but it's always gonna be Franky for me.
This by a longshot. I hate Franky's PTS design. Usopp's giant hair and Chopper's beanie-looking hat annoy me too.

I actually like Robin's new design. Nami I wasn't too keen on, but it turns out she looks cool when she's actually wearing a shirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom