• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

So in my first system I crafted the warp cell and charged my hyperdrive with it, and yet the mission objective telling me to craft a warp cell still reads "0/1", and when I go to the galaxy map I can't warp, even though my drive is charged. Did I hit a bug or is there something I'm missing? I don't know how to get another antimatter...

edit: closed out and reopened the game and was able to warp.

So in my first system I crafted the warp cell and charged my hyperdrive with it, and yet the mission objective telling me to craft a warp cell still reads "0/1", and when I go to the galaxy map I can't warp, even though my drive is charged. Did I hit a bug or is there something I'm missing? I don't know how to get another antimatter...
I have the same issue, I'm going to try the game again in the morning to try to get it working.

Hope I don't have to restart, it took me forever to get this far in this playthrough.

Edit: oh great! Hope it works for me too.

I like following this game but I'm still holding out on buying it for even more updates. Not sure what exactly will make me go over the edge, but more terrain improvements involving underground, cave systems, and sense of scale stuff would be a good start.

If the game looked as pretty as it did in earlier trailers, then I would have been on this pretty early regardless. It's weird how the colors and everything got more garish as things were getting really close to release. I look back at those earlier trailers and the planets still look soo good. I wonder how much of their graphics related code was lost in the flood.

But for now I'm enjoying following the reddit for the really good screenshots that come up every so often.

SirNinja

Started a new game on normal mode. Everything's going fine until I find a habitable base and find that the teleporter is "temporarily offline". The one in the system's space station is turned off as well. When/how are they enabled?

I have the same issue, I'm going to try the game again in the morning to try to get it working.

Hope I don't have to restart, it took me forever to get this far in this playthrough.

Edit: oh great! Hope it works for me too.

Yeah I'm not even sure I needed to restart, it was still telling me I couldn't warp, but I picked the next system anyway and was able to. Good luck!

Started a new game on normal mode. Everything's going fine until I find a habitable base and find that the teleporter is "temporarily offline". The one in the system's space station is turned off as well. When/how are they enabled?
Did you claim the base and then fly to the space station and go to the teleporter there?

bosseye

Found a paradise moon, it was gorgeous, just vast expanses of lush green grass plains studded with giant rock formations and gloriously green trees. Ranging across were antelope creatures and a giant planet in the background. I just walked for ages soaking it in.

Game ways looked good, but now it looks utterly amazing at times.

I need to make money now, I want a better ship, need to find a decent habitable base (on a cool planet) to start base building. So much to do!

This + PSN sale made me buy the game. Downloading now. Slightly excited.

About to do the same!

Is there like space pirates that you can rob/get into fights with etc? Both in air and on land?

Whats the "point" of the game now, can you gear up and purchase better ships and equipments etc and is exploration rewarding meaning you get to find interesting creatures and loot?

SirNinja

Did you claim the base and then fly to the space station and go to the teleporter there?

Yep. Very odd. The portals work from the beginning in Creative mode, so there's probably something I need to do before these will turn on. I haven't yet warped to another system in this playthrough - maybe that needs to happen first?

vix

Ok, I said screw it and started over. My base and home planet were just too screwed and aggravating me to make me want to continue.

I've barely done anything, it's getting late, but it's so much better starting over. I'm liking the awakenings path so far. I like that the game feels like it has much more structure when you first start.

Learned my first word, the Korvax word for Rare.

It's gonna be slow going. But at least it'll be worth it. Loved the game before any of the updates, gonna love it more now. Just gonna take some getting reused to, that's for sure.

Van Bur3n

Pffffffh, that explorer ship I found had broken inventory slots that can only be repaired through units. I thought all I had to do was gather resources, but shit, I could use my units on an actual good ship back on the space station, not a pile of junk with a meager bonus and no missiles just to repair its slots.

Fuck that noise.

OuterLimits

I think you need to claim the base first. It's next to the portal in that room. You can rename the base as well there. Then fly to the space station and activate the portal there. I think that is how it worked.

Just decided to give creative mode a try after restarting normal mode in patch 1.3. Its nice that creative gets rid of the tedius parts, but I could also see it speeding up how quickly things get boring.

Not sure if I'm going to spend more time in Normal or Creative. I like cruising around in my S-Class fighter in creative mode, and I'm not sure how long I would last grinding out mats in normal mode.

Is the full story / questing available in creative mode? Because that and general exploration is mainly what I'm interested in.

magawolaz

Considering how much people wanted to fly in canyons etc I guess I'm alone with this idea, but I really don't like the new flight controls. Like at all. M+KB controls is awful now. Can't get a grip on how to control the ship with any type of precision. I'm crashing to the ground all the time. And swapping to controller makes the controls awful for everything else.
I'm with you (playing with a controller). I was hoping low-flight would let us fly under arches etc. but since it's not much different from before I'd rather have the old flight method.

I also miss auto-eject upon landing :(

tacopingu

Neo Member
To anyone who has played both the PC and PS4 versions of the game: How much of an improvement over the PS4 version is the PC version? Is it worth buying it on PC if I already have it on PS4?

Pffffffh, that explorer ship I found had broken inventory slots that can only be repaired through units. I thought all I had to do was gather resources, but shit, I could use my units on an actual good ship back on the space station, not a pile of junk with a meager bonus and no missiles just to repair its slots.

Fuck that noise.
The more you fix the ship up, the more it becomes worth, which means less money to spend when trading for a ship at a station or trading post :)

My first crashed ship i found was a hauler with 34 slots, most broken, took it anyways and have been upgrading as I continued on, it's now worth almost 4 million units and I've only fixed 22/34 slots. Have only found a few ships better than it and they're WAY more expensive than all the money I've put into this ship. And I'm still sitting on over a Million units myself, without farming lol

To anyone who has played both the PC and PS4 versions of the game: How much of an improvement over the PS4 version is the PC version? Is it worth buying it on PC if I already have it on PS4?
IMO I'd say the only real benefit of PC version of PS4 is ability to mod the game, even maxed out the graphics aren't significantly better, performance isn't significantly better either. Unless you have a really powerful PC or just want to mod the game, stick with PS4 especially if you happen to have a PRO.

This is the first time I've played since launch and I'm really happy and excited about what's been done with the game. After putting a few hours in to it originally, like many I was asking myself what the point was of continuing to do the same routine over and over, just to move on to more systems, rinse, repeat. But now with base building, freighters, land rovers, portals etc etc there's so much incentive to continue on. I'm really impressed.

Razmos

Got given a free multi-tool early on with 15 slots. Don't mind if I do. Came with a terrain manipulator too

Is it possible to expand a base underwater? Or any way to manipulate water using the terrain manipulator?

SZips

As far as I can tell it's broken. Yes, one of the key features of this new patch doesn't work. Face palm.

Ah, okay. Eh, all things considered, I'm not too concerned about it. I'm sure it will be fixed. I'm quite pleased by everything else that they've done with this patch.

OuterLimits

God, this game has so many game breaking glitches.

Started a new game on permadeath mode. Spent about 3 hours getting to my ship. Starting planet was generous with resources and I had even discovered all species.

I arrive at my ship and it's floating way up in the air. Way too high to jetpack up to it. Lol. Fucking hell.

Scoobie

God, this game has so many game breaking glitches.

Started a new game on permadeath mode. Spent about 3 hours getting to my ship. Starting planet was generous with resources and I had even discovered all species.

I arrive at my ship and it's floating way up in the air. Way too high to jetpack up to it. Lol. Fucking hell.

Oh dear, that's not good :p

Jamiaro

Same happened to me, but instead of a ship, my homebase was up in the air. There were only a few buildings there, but still super-annoying. Had to find a new spot for a new base.

SirNinja

I think you need to claim the base first. It's next to the portal in that room. You can rename the base as well there. Then fly to the space station and activate the portal there. I think that is how it worked.

I've definitely claimed the base. I've built quite a bit of it, did the quest line to get an overseer + terminals, etc. Just warped to a Korvax system to get a scientist and the portals are still turned off. The game says I need to warp back from where I am, which is not happening soon unless I happen upon another free antimatter.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I've definitely claimed the base. I've built quite a bit of it, did the quest line to get an overseer + terminals, etc. Just warped to a Korvax system to get a scientist and the portals are still turned off. The game says I need to warp back from where I am, which is not happening soon unless I happen upon another free antimatter.

i was having that problem too.

you need to jump at least 3 or 4 times then it'll let you. it says "only seasoned warp travelers" can access it, or some such message

OuterLimits

Sorry to hear that. I like this game and the added content of this update is pretty good. However, it did introduce a bunch of new bugs unfortunately. Some frustrating, and even game breaking it seems at times.

S1kkZ

maybe i am remembering things wrong (last played the game in march), but with the new patch, the draw distance took a massvie hit (much more fade in, draw in and pop-ins). ps4 pro version 1080p.

I took up a couple of secondary missions before I realised I couldn't reach my base. Now that I'm searching for a planet to settle on my ship won't stop beeping! Is there a way to cancel the missions?

Not sure what exactly will make me go over the edge, but more terrain improvements involving underground, cave systems, and sense of scale stuff would be a good start.
The game already has pretty massive cave systems... I've spent >10 minutes in some.

My starter planet did, though many do not. But the 4 hours or so it took me to reach my crashed ship on foot, I bet I spent probably 1/4th or 1/3rd underground. Sometimes 5-10 minutes at a time because I was on a frozen planet so any chance to use the huge cave systems meant easier survival from the frozen elements.

Tried find one example....
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vINJZeDngLg&feature=youtu.be&t=1680

But quite a lot of my first two vids in my longplay are underground. I think there's a better example but I've been in cave systems that were as long as pretty huge sections of mountains where I've went in one side and came out the other side of the mountains.

It's no Minecraft of course but especially on survival mode where you're scared of the elements certain planets can offer pretty good spelunking.

jimminy1403

Neo Member
It's so much better looking than I remember when I played at launch.

Any tips for making units with this patch? Everything costs so much...

About to do the same!

Is there like space pirates that you can rob/get into fights with etc? Both in air and on land?

Whats the "point" of the game now, can you gear up and purchase better ships and equipments etc and is exploration rewarding meaning you get to find interesting creatures and loot?
I would seriously consider doing some basic research about the game before buying it. Your talking of gear and loot drops suggests it would be worth doing so.

g5fowm4imffz.gif
Damn that's cool.

AngryMoth

Ok, I played for 5 or 10 hours on release and didnt really like the game but this update sounds pretty great so I'm starting a new game on PS4 now.

Any tips for upgrading inventory space quickly in the early game?

Rezbit

The story is actually way better than I thought it would be. It also gives a whole lot more context and reasons for doing things, leads you to the main activities in the game etc.

I feel like this is probably what Hello Games originally envisioned the game would be. Enjoying it a lot more now.

MattAces

Good, the game is almost playable now.

I'm sorry, but what?
I know I shouldn't be responding to low effort post, but did you even bother trying it before making a post?
If the current amount of content is still considered "almost playable", please don't even bother with this game because no matter what they're adding in the future, it will never impress people like you.

I am so stuck right now and I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong. Please, someone help!

I am doing the alone amidst the stars missions. I've contacted artemis and the next thing I have to do is locate a long distance transmitter. Each system I go to, the mission guidance message (bottom right) says the mission target is in another system. But I don't know where! Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm at my wits end here!

Love this game.

Hystzen

We totally getting a war in next update we got threat level on galaxy map screen way more fleets warping into systems and the logs from crashed freighters all point to it.

I think if they add player characters in next update so we can see each other, I think it would be a reasonable step to try and include a loot system so we can all wear different types of suits and such, maybe even a levelling up system? I dunno that seems like the logical next thing to add into the game to further give you a sense of progression.

Top Bottom