• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
Destiny 2 Beta Start Times:
PS4 Early Access
With pre-order: July 18 | 10 AM PT / 1 PM ET / 6 PM BST on July 19
Xbox One Early Access
With pre-order: July 19 | 10 AM PT / 1 PM ET / 6 PM BST on July 20
Open Beta For Everyone
July 21 | 10 AM PT / 1 PM ET / 6 PM BST / 3 AM ET on July 22

Thank you!

Jaraghan

So I booted up Destiny again, I haven't played since Rise of Iron launch. I am mainly here to complete the Age of Triumphs book/get the veteran emblem for D2. I don't have any interest in doing the raids or Trials, can I still complete the book or no?

X-Frame

https://m.imgur.com/a/j5pQQ

Sentinel Perk Tree's as of the beta.

It seems to be even better than what I was imagining. Health for the Sentinel and nearby allies on every melee kill?! Overshields for the Sentinel and nearby allies on every melee ability kill? Plus Ward of Dawn. Plus Overshields give faster reload, melee damage, and last longer.

First Cluster is just PvE Defender heaven. 2nd is more PvP.

Hopefully with D2 going PC as well, we don't end up with some PC elitist fools like in the OW OT.

Hopefully we have a separate Destiny 2 OT from the console one, especially with the presence of some PS4 groups that ruin other OTs with their blogging, post-burying and passive-aggressive arguments with good players.

Also Lik do you know how pathetic it is to call me out in other threads?

It seems to be even better than what I was imagining. Health for the Sentinel and nearby allies on every melee kill?! Overshields for the Sentinel and nearby allies on every melee ability kill? Plus Ward of Dawn. Plus Overshields give faster reload, melee damage, and last longer.

In my mind, ward of dawn was 'free' and didn't require giving something up in the perk tree. I now see that I was mistaken on that belief.

I think GAF will be rocking and rolling once tomorrow rolls around. But I understand the sentiment.

Hopefully, DGaf comes back. I always preferred using the forum rather than discord.

Hopefully we have a separate Destiny 2 OT from the console one, especially with the presence of some PS4 groups that ruin other OTs with their blogging, post-burying and passive-aggressive arguments with good players.

Also Lik do you know how pathetic it is to call me out in other threads?

Those were the best parts.

-data-

Man, looks awesome. I am loving the increase in abilities effecting teammates. Will make raid compositions really interesting.

GhaleonEB

So I booted up Destiny again, I haven't played since Rise of Iron launch. I am mainly here to complete the Age of Triumphs book/get the veteran emblem for D2. I don't have any interest in doing the raids or Trials, can I still complete the book or no?

You can still complete it. I did so with two blank pages (Trials and Raids) and the equivalent of 2 more blank as well. IIRC you need 60 nodes to complete the book (each three I did got me 5%). I can't remember how many nodes there are on each page, but that's your wiggle room.

-data-

Too circle jerk-y.

And it moves too fast. If you're not there in the moment your lost.

I really like Discord for smaller groups. I use it for my clan of about 12 people and it really works for us.

With big groups it turns into a cluster fuck which is hard to follow, unlike this thread which is easy to keep up with.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
In my mind, ward of dawn was 'free' and didn't require giving something up in the perk tree. I now see that I was mistaken on that belief.
Hmm, I don't think it was either free or giving something up- it WAS the super for the class.

The super for the class is now the Sentinel Shield, which has defensive uses as well as offensive capabilities, but you can also have optional access to the Ward of Dawn (or, from the looks of things, trade that for additional offense in the form of a second shield throw).
I know it's super early, but were you going to be sherpa again for the new raids?
giphy.gif

Hmm, I don't think it was either free or giving something up- it WAS the super for the class.

The super for the class is now the Sentinel Shield, which has defensive uses as well as offensive capabilities, but you can also have optional access to the Ward of Dawn (or, from the looks of things, trade that for additional offense in the form of a second shield throw).

What I mean is, when we saw ward of dawn being available as an option by holding down the keys, I thought it was just an innate choice you could make without having to specifically select it in the tree (thus giving something up that you could otherwise select).

I know that's what you just said...but I'm saying it's what I meant.

The only real downside to Discord over a thread is that Gaffers that join the game late after release (or come back sometime after launch period) can't get a feel for how active the Destiny community here is and they can't just pop in Discord to check without an invite.

That was something that was cool about other programs like TS/Mumble/Vent or whatever. You could just hide the info in email tags and people could join at will.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What I mean is, when we saw ward of dawn being available as an option by holding down the keys, I thought it was just an innate choice you could make without having to specifically select it in the tree (thus giving something up that you could otherwise select).

I know that's what you just said...but I'm saying it's what I meant.
Ooooh yeah, my bad, I thought you meant in Destiny 1.

WipedOut

The only real downside to Discord over a thread is that Gaffers that join the game late after release (or come back sometime after launch period) can't get a feel for how active the Destiny community here is and they can't just pop in Discord to check without an invite.

That was something that was cool about other programs like TS/Mumble/Vent or whatever. You could just hide the info in email tags and people could join at will.

There is a solution to that being worked out for D2 launch I believe.

Frostburn

I think GAF will be rocking and rolling once tomorrow rolls around. But I understand the sentiment.

I agree, I also think Discord will be great once the PC version comes out (I don't keep my PS4 near my PC and I rarely kept my laptop near my PS4 so Discord for GAF was always a from my phone thing when I was trying to find a group. On PC however my friends and I always use it for all the games we play together so I expect lots of groups to form and use Discord for communication on the PC side of things. See you guys on the PS4 Beta tomorrow though!

Lee

I'm aware. That isn't how it works not though, so that's what I was addressing. I also assumed that it isn't how it works currently for a reason that I'm not aware of.

The admins handle the invites, is all. When people in here ask for an invite the admins handle it. It's not like Discord is some hidden secret looking at the OT title.

Like WipedOut said they are figuring out a plan for D2.

The admins handle the invites, is all. When people in here ask for an invite the admins handle it. It's not like Discord is some hidden secret looking at the OT title.

Like WipedOut said they are figuring out a plan for D2.

I want to be clear, I'm not criticizing how it operates now. I'm acknowledging that it's likely run that way for a reason. I'm just not aware of that reason and haven't had any desire to question it really because I don't see a need to question it.

Like, I'm sure it's been discussed and I trust they came to run it the way it is for a reason. That's all.

My original post on the topic was just me adding to the overall discussion what I think the only flaw is in the current way that it's run. But it's not a super huge deal to me either way.

Top Bottom