• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

andthebeatgoeson

I have been using this a month, and there are a couple of hitches.
- You cannot pre-book tickets you have to be within 100 yards of the theater. It makes seeing things a bit annoying I have to get to the theater early buy a ticket then come back.
- You only can use it to buy one ticket.
- The app is hot trash, never leaves me logged in.
- It also has my arthouse theaters so that is a plus.

With all that said, I have found that going to the movies, even by myself allows me to shut myself off for a bit and not multitask so this saves me a ton.

Yeesh. Can't remember the last time I didn't prebook a ticket. My favorite places have small theaters that are usually sold out and 20+ minutes away.

It would be right up my alley since I'm going 1-2x per month but naw, B.

I'm in D.C., anybody know of theaters in the area accepting it? Hesitant to use this without knowing which theaters offer. DC is a heavy reserved seating place.

Korgill

There shouldn't be an early termination fee, the FAQ separates month to month, which this is, and a yearly commitment, which has an ETF.

Plus the sign up for this says no commitment.

27.4.2. MoviePass Month to Month Contract — If you are included in a Month to Month plan, section 27.4.1 is not applicable. Your MoviePass membership will continue month to month unless and until you cancel or MoviePass terminates. MoviePass will bill monthly on the same date every month, unless either party seeks to terminate the agreement. You must cancel your membership before it renews each month in order to avoid billing of the next month's membership fees to your Payment method. If you do not contact us prior to the billing date, your card will be charged and termination will occur at the end of the next billing cycle. Subscription fees may be increased by MoviePass to reflect changes in standard ticket prices, inflation, MoviePass's costs, and additional taxes and costs not imposed by MoviePass. If you wish to terminate your agreement, you must notify MoviePass at least one business day prior to your next billing date. Any changes will take place at the end of the period for which fees have been paid, and will be introduced in the next billing cycle.

Stanng243

Apparently their theater list is currently down for maintenance. They did tell me that the regal by me takes it.

Edit: Use the live chat feature to ask for theaters.

numble

10 bucks a month for a movie every day at any cinema doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Are they about to fold and just want to collect as much money as possible to reduce their losses before that? I can't think of any way this makes sense financially for anyone involved other than the customer.

Sure but those people are unlikely to be attracted to such a service to begin with.
If there is an empty seat, a theater would rather fill it with a very low ticket price (or even free) if that person is going to potentially pay for drinks and popcorn.

FyreWulff

Tickets only cost me $5 and I don't go frequently enough make use of that unfortunately. Maybe if I went once a week.

Yeah this is kinda a hard sell in the Omaha area when most our theaters are at 5$ for new releases. I don't see a way to get a theater list without starting a trial, either.

sinkfla87

Can't see theater list unless you sign up? da fuck?

I'm hoping that someone who signed up already would be nice enough to check for us lol.

I personally advise everyone to NOT sign up without reading the fine print and some of the earlier posts in this thread.

Edit: sounds like there isn't an early termination fee so maybe things are looking up.

There shouldn't be an early termination fee, the FAQ separates month to month, which this is, and a yearly commitment, which has an ETF.

Plus the sign up for this says no commitment.

Ah, okay let me edit my post since I didn't see that anywhere on their site or FAQ when I looked.

Farsi

Guys I took the risk and signed up, won't even show me the theater list on the app.

I live right outside a huge city, there's 5 massive theaters within a 15-25 minute radius from my house, multiple chains AMC, Cinemark, Alamo, nothing is showing up.

Hmmm. The economics of this are interesting. Could be a combination of the following:

1) They hope that the revenue from millions of Movie Pass subscribers will be more than selling fewer but more expensive individual tickets.

2) As most people know, most cinemas would make a loss if they just sold tickets. If a person goes to the movies ten times a month and buys $10 of snacks (including super-high margin products like soda and especially popcorn), he has spent $110, with a very rough and conservative guesstimate of $65 of profit for the theatre . If he goes just once on a $10 ticket and buys $10 worth of food then he has perhaps generated maybe $3 dollars worth of profit. But that's not quite right is it? The theatre makes a loss on each ticket but incurs that cost whether or not people turn up...I guess it works maybe if the person with the subscription goes to a lot of movies that would not sell out ordinarily, which is likely as there are only so many pictures that sell out each month.

So maybe it works if subscribers go to lots of movies and buy snacks each time. If they only go to 'big' movies which would sell out anyway and/or don't buy food, it doesn't work.

Guys I took the risk and signed up, won't even show me the theater list on the app.

I live right outside a huge city, there's 5 massive theaters within a 15-25 minute radius from my house, multiple chains AMC, Cinemark, Alamo, nothing is showing up.

Thanks for the info. I was just about to sign up too, but if the list is down even for subscribers, I think I'll just wait a little and see if they put it back up.

So, MoviePass has dropped to just $9.95 a month for 1 2D movie a day nationwide. I was paying $49.99 a month. I don't see how this is possible, but it looks to have no gimmicks attached:

If anyone finds any other insight into the price drop, would be interested. The only catch I see that "space is limited" so I wonder if they are trying to hit a certain number of users. Anyone else still a member?
Holy shit, if I were still single and young, I would TOTALLY be doing this and going to movies every day.

Do they support Studio Movie Grill and Flix Brewhouse?
Do you live in North Indy? (I probably should know this by now...) I live about five minutes from the Flix Brewhouse and a bit further away from the SMG.

kaskade

Regarding Cancellation Fees

If you decide to cancel before your year is up, you are subject to early termination fees. After the free trial, for months 1-3 it's $75; 4-6 ,$60; 7-9, $40; and 10-11, $20. After the first year, you can cancel at any time with no cancellation fee. If you are on an alternate month to month plan, there are no commitments or cancellation fees.

Okay... this sounds kinda bad now. No theater list and sketchy cancellation fees. I knew there had to be a catch.

The theater list is probably a mistake, they usually have it on there. Since it's mostly credit card based now, it's most theaters that accept Mastercard.

The fees aren't new either I believe.

Snaku

Banned
Signed up, I generally spend more than $30 a week going to the theater so this is a no brainer. Just checked the list in my area, and it supports basically every theater I generally visit, including the Alamo Drafthouse 2 miles away from me. Can't wait for my card to arrive.

sinkfla87

Just chatted with them so if anyone else lives in Pensacola, Florida moviepass is accepted at pretty much every theater in town. Wow. So if I sign up now, I won't have to worry about cancellation fees if I decide to take a break in a month or two? Just double checking because I'm both yes and no to this question lol.

bigkrev

I had to go thru customer support to get my login to work, and to get a list of theaters. Its good at every single theater where I live, but doesn't appear to have a single theater by where I work (where I want to move towards sometime this year.....)

I have seen 30 movies in theaters this year, so even if I only go twice a month this is a 1000% no-brainer at the price for me. Even if I end up eating the cancelation fee in a few months, I will probably get my monies worth

Somebody wants to post a theater list for 11354? I am not going to pay fucking 10 bux to find out. For all I know they could be all 200 miles from me.

Toothless

I've had this for two years and love it, altho if you live somewhere with heavy reserve seating, I understand why this might not be the best idea. Otherwise it's a steal.

If you need a theater list, either PM me or post here a zip code. I can quickly check on my app.

shaneo632

Man why are these American movie passes so fucking stingey?

I live in the UK and have the Odeon Limitless pass, which is £17.99 ($23.30) per month and lets me see as many movies as I want. I saw four movies on Friday, it was fucking awesome. You do have to pay a £1.30 uplift for 3D movies, but I avoid them like the plague anyway. It also works on certain IMAX locations which is great.

I always see at least 8 movies a month, often a lot more, so it's damn fine value.

Amagon

Can anyone list any movie theaters in Northern New Jersey, or (Morris County) that is part of the program?

Thanks.

Zip code 07803

YIKES, this is shady. I'm going to put the effort in to call and see what takes the card in my area. This looks awesome.

Oh, if somebody could look in 33029 that would be greatly appreciated!

Sanchito

Just chatted with them so if anyone else lives in Pensacola, Florida moviepass is accepted at pretty much every theater in town. Wow. So if I sign up now, I won't have to worry about cancellation fees if I decide to take a break in a month or two? Just double checking because I'm both yes and no to this question lol.

Awesome. I live in Mary Esther, I assume they'd be good at the Regal theaters in Fort Walton. I go to the AMC on Bayou in P'cola sometimes too. I may jump on this.

I've had this for two years and love it, altho if you live somewhere with heavy reserve seating, I understand why this might not be the best idea. Otherwise it's a steal.

If you need a theater list, either PM me or post here a zip code. I can quickly check on my app.

can you check for zip code 49417? thanks!

There is a decent amount of reserve seating in my area. Can you not use it at all for reserve seating? Or is it just an inconvenience because you have to go to the box office first?

Farsi

Just chatted up customer service, almost every chain near my location accepts moviepass.

Guessing the app is glitchy atm. I'll wait until I get my card through the mail to see if it works then. Sweet, with Oscar season coming up this is gonna be a big money saver.

Voidguts

ehh the wording is weird, you get charged 9 immediately for the trial and then 9 again two weeks later at first?

4dC6wrH.png

sinkfla87

BIG EDIT: Just got this confirmed via Chat on their website from an agent:

There isnt a cancellation fee, that is part of the old terms and conditions.

ehh the wording is weird, you get charged 9 immediately for the trial and then 9 again two weeks later at first?

4dC6wrH.png

Hahaha what the fuck is this?!

Awesome. I live in Mary Esther, I assume they'd be good at the Regal theaters in Fort Walton. I go to the AMC on Bayou in P'cola sometimes too. I may jump on this.

Yeah they definitely confirmed the theater on Bayou. Oh and hello, fellow neighbor!

Certinty

How the Hell have they done this? Need a similar thing for the UK.
Cineworld Unlimited is £17.40 a month but you get so much more. Couldn't live without it.

- Truly unlimited movies as long as they don't start within 90 minutes of one another
- Can book upto 3 movies in advance
- Spend a few more £ a year and be able to take a friend free on Tuesday/Wednesdays (with Meerkat Movies)
- Early screenings to some movies
- 10% discount on cinema snacks (25% after a year)
- Discount at some restaurants
- No 3D uplift after you've had it for a year

The only bad thing is at first it's a 12 month contract. But even if you see just a few movies a month it is worth it.

Toothless

Somebody wants to post a theater list for 11354? I am not going to pay fucking 10 bux to find out. For all I know they could be all 200 miles from me.

College Point Multiplex Cinemas
Phoenix Theatre Bombay
AMC Loews Bay Terrace 6
UA Midway Stadium 9
Cinemart Cinemas
Jamaica Multiplex Cinemas
Regal Atlas Park Stadium 8
Movieworld at Douglaston
Bow Tie Squire Cinemas
AMC Bay Plaza Cinema 13
UA Kaufman Astoria Stadium 14
Linden Blvd. Multiplex Cinemas
Concourse Plaza Multiplex Cinemas
Syndicated
Bow Tie Cinemas Manhasset 3
City Cinemas 86th Street East
AMC Loews Orpheum 7
AMC Magic Johnson Harlem 9
City Cinemas Beakman Theatre
Soundview Cinemas
Pellham Picture House

Can list more but they're all within 8 miles or more then and trust me, there's a ton (this is general new york)

YIKES, this is shady. I'm going to put the effort in to call and see what takes the card in my area. This looks awesome.

Oh, if somebody could look in 33029 that would be greatly appreciated!

Within 10 miles:

Regal Westfork Stadium 13
Cinemark Paradise 24
Weston 8 Cinemas
AMC Weston 8
Cobb Miami Lakes 17
Cobb Grand 18

There is a decent amount of reserve seating in my area. Can you not use it at all for reserve seating? Or is it just an inconvenience because you have to go to the box office first?

For my AMC reserve seatings, you can use it for reserve seating but typically I'll go in the morning to buy my tickets then because otherwise all the good seats are taken by the afternoon or evening when I go. Standard stuff with reserve seating.

Can someone check 92373 for me

I'll do within 15 miles for you:

Krikorian Redlands Cinema 14
Regency Sterling 6
Regal San Bernardino Theater Square
Regency University Village 10 - Riverside
Galaxy Mission Grove 18
Regency Perris 10
Regal Riverside Plaza Stadium 16

Moviepass supposedly is pretty terrible. I listen to a horror podcast where a couple of them signed up to save money since they see films for the podcast every week and they concluded it's pretty much a racket that's way more hassle than it was worth. Even seeing a movie every week they said it would've been better to just pay the full price for the ticket.

When is the last time you are on a business website without a business location map? And this business is already a few years old?

Clockwork

I have been using this a month, and there are a couple of hitches.
- You cannot pre-book tickets you have to be within 100 yards of the theater. It makes seeing things a bit annoying I have to get to the theater early buy a ticket then come back.

Garbage. The two closest theaters here are reserve seating only. Not very convenient if I have to be there to do that.

Timeaisis

I'm going to guess you only can get into movies at the time of showing. No prebooking, which is incredibly common today at most theaters. So you're not going to see the latest and greatest on the day of release...

But still. Damn, that's a good deal.

Edit: ah, yes.

Top Bottom