• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Leaks: BC for NextBox to be an add on, can play offline

DieH@rd

Banned
http://www.vgleaks.com/microsoft-xbox-roadmap-2013/
We have received new information about the latest Xbox Roadmap. Our source unveils new details for Durango, Xbox mini and the Microsoft strategy; moreover we don’t forget Kinect 2.0.

Microsoft expands its Xbox brand​

Getting to the point there are going to be two console as part of the redesigned “Xbox Line” of products. A repackaged and reoriented Xbox 360 unit and the new “Durango” gaming console, both designed to compete with more than Sony in gaming, but against Apple as well.

When the Durango (game machine) launches, it will not support backwards compatibility for 360 games out of the box. Instead, this functionality will come from the other unit that will be networked with the Durango to provide this (not unlike the DVD add-on for the original Xbox).

The purpose of the smaller Xbox unit is to compete with Apple TV, but also provides XBLA and 360 game support which will give it an edge over Apple TV. The rumors of “always online required” comes from the smaller Xbox unit which may not have a disc drive and like Apple TV it would require a network connection and internet to provide any real functionality. It may be possible they will design both consoles to be stackable.

Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games. Putting in an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will prompt the user to attach the supporting device that is sold separately. By separating the two devices and their functions it will ensure price competitiveness for both pieces of hardware. Microsoft’s delay in announcing these products from April goes more inline with not having a physical set of devices to show (among specification updates), which should be ready by May or June when this information is officially released.

The price goal of the smaller Xbox is $149 or lower and it is likely to not have a disc drive and would require a network connection. Durango will be priced competitively according to PS4′s price.

Kinect 2.0​

A different department within Xbox handles Kinect hardware and software. The focus was more on developing and networking both consoles with Kinect more of an after thought at that point, considering dealing with it would be less of an issue even with hardware changes to the main console hardware. Kinect isn’t the primary focus.

The development kits required several pieces of hardware as to combine all “potential” hardware which may or may not be required to work with each other, which also includes the potential for any or all devices to required a network connection, which is where most of the “required” rumors are coming from.

Elginer

Beat with Master Chief's cat helmet if old.

Seems that Microsoft is working on two new Xbox's. One a repackage of the 360 and the nextgen one which will not offer BC out of the box but through an add on. Good news is that it will allow used games and not have to be online to play local content.

http://www.vgleaks.com/microsoft-xbox-roadmap-2013/

Getting to the point there are going to be two console as part of the redesigned “Xbox Line” of products. A repackaged and reoriented Xbox 360 unit and the new “Durango” gaming console, both designed to compete with more than Sony in gaming, but against Apple as well.

When the Durango (game machine) launches, it will not support backwards compatibility for 360 games out of the box. Instead, this functionality will come from the other unit that will be networked with the Durango to provide this (not unlike the DVD add-on for the original Xbox).

The purpose of the smaller Xbox unit is to compete with Apple TV, but also provides XBLA and 360 game support which will give it an edge over Apple TV. The rumors of “always online required” comes from the smaller Xbox unit which may not have a disc drive and like Apple TV it would require a network connection and internet to provide any real functionality. It may be possible they will design both consoles to be stackable.

Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games.

sangreal

alternative title:
VGLeaks: Durango to support offline gameplay

I mentioned it in the other thread, but I find it to be a big coincidence that Verge, Kotaku and VGLeaks all posted new articles about this today with mostly the same info

Tamanon

Banned
Wait, you have to buy a new version of a 360, which then plugs into the new console for "backwards compatibility"?

This all seems needlessly complex.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This is the dumbest idea ever. Buying a console that piggybacks off another console to give me BC from my last console doesn't sound like the best way to go about this.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
stackable?

32x.jpg

Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games.

Nice

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
All sounds pretty believable.

The idea of 'remote playing' a 360 through your Durango, to allow you to play 360 games through the Durango interface is a good one in the absence of native BC in Durango, and an idea I suggested before for PS4.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah I think the big deal here is the support for offline gameplay and running used games. This "new" information may suggest a change in plans?

A quick change of plans, someone privy to better information or just damage control?

TriGen

That's nice, if true. Can't wait for this thing to be revealed -- let's set the record straight and see what's what.

Wiz

Don't know what to believe anymore. So many leaks/rumours these days.

But this is one of the better sounding leaks about the next Xbox. I can get down with this.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
alternative title:
VGLeaks: Durango to support offline gameplay

I mentioned it in the other thread, but I find it to be a big coincidence that Verge, Kotaku and VGLeaks all posted new articles about this today with mostly the same info
Perhaps the source is SuperDAE? He's been saying Durango won't need always online forever and has supplied both Kotaku and VGLeaks with info.

xJavonta

Banned
I would buy one of these new X360s if it allowed me to play Games on Demand titles too. It's be great for hauling to a friends house for Blops 2 sessions

Will there be a sku that includes the attachment?

If this is true, than that means by itself the 720 will not need an online connection? Being that's the case, that's good news....

Izick

Can't wait to see what the next Xbox actually is, and how many of these rumors turned out to be bullshit. Probably most.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Durango not needed to be online for local gaming means that we can play games solo without worrying the console disconnects, right?

This is the dumbest idea ever. Buying a console that piggybacks off another console to give me BC from my last console doesn't sound like the best way to go about this.

Oddly, that's what some folks i've read wanted for the ps4: a mini ps3/expac hardware for BC use so they don't need two full consoles hooked up at once.

Wait...what? How will Durango always be online if it doesn't have to always be online?

Cutebrute

Is having a $100-150 add-on for BC really worth it if it does not have a disk-drive? Sure there are people with GoD and XBLA titles, but c'mon MS- all or nothing.

Chuckpebble

Durango Unchained?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Oddly, that's what some folks i've read wanted for the ps4: a mini ps3/expac hardware for BC use so they don't need two full consoles hooked up at once.

Really? It just seems so weird to me to have to buy another console to play old games. Or maybe it's the term "console" that's throwing me off.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Sounds like an internal leak for sure and definitely plausible. Glad to hear about offline play and used games playable.

Top Bottom