• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice dev American McGee backtracks on EA marketing slur

Who published Brutal Legend, out of interest? That's the worst case I can think of in terms of misleading customers, athough I'm not sure if that was a simple case of not reading up on the game thus missing the mention of it being an RTS

Derrick01

Banned
Who published Brutal Legend, out of interest? That's the worst case I can think of in terms of misleading customers, athough I'm not sure if that was a simple case of not reading up on the game thus missing the mention of it being an RTS

EA, but I'm not sure if that was a Partner's game or if EA owns it. I could see EA purposely leaving the RTS stuff out of any marketing and media. RTS games don't sell after all...but neither did BL.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

EA ultimately assumed publishing duties. The RTS elements were mentioned in an interview or two but not included in any mass-marketing material for the game (namely trailers).

Haunted

Speaking of Madness Returns, I was totally surprised to see in the credits that Spicy Horse is a China-based company.

I only knew of Ubisoft Shanghai prior to that.

EA, but I'm not sure if that was a Partner's game or if EA owns it. I could see EA purposely leaving the RTS stuff out of any marketing and media. RTS games don't sell after all...but neither did BL.

EA ultimately assumed publishing duties. The RTS elements were mentioned in an interview or two but not included in any mass-marketing material for the game (namely trailers).

Cheers. Wonder how much of a stink people would have kicked up if it wasn't a Double Fine/Tim Schafer game

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Double Fine ought to have ditched the RTS elements entirely when Vivendi put a gag on the mere mentioning of them. I rather enjoyed Brutal Legend as a third-person action title but the RTS missions were simply awful and more tacked on than something organic to the game.

Glass Rebel

This is actually exactly what happened:

edit: badly beatan

Derrick01

Banned
Double Fine ought to have ditched the RTS elements entirely when Vivendi put a gag on the mere mentioning of them. I rather enjoyed Brutal Legend as a third-person action title but the RTS missions were simply awful and more tacked on than something organic to the game.

Well there ya go then. It really was the worst part of the game though.

Speaking of Madness Returns, I was totally surprised to see in the credits that Spicy Horse is a China-based company.

I only knew of Ubisoft Shanghai prior to that.

Not only that, but Alice's hair physics were done by one guy. And the game runs on the Unreal engine.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
"'Tricked' is the wrong word. I take that back. Apologies to EA and anyone else whose feelings were hurt. Electronic Arts doesn't trick customers into buying things. They carefully apply proven marketing techniques to achieve the desired customer response. If they were bad at this sort of thing they'd have been crushed by their competitors long ago and you'd be playing Madden Football from Activision or Atari or something.

lol ,American McGee is so awesome.

Alice Madness Return was my 2011 GOTY, its sad that EA fucked it up.

and now after this McGee x EA clash I guess we'll never get s sequel, unless McGee buys the IP from EA.

Ithil

Why would McGee even give a shit at this point if EA were offended by his frankly very mild insult about their marketing department? They practically let Madness Returns die on release, I sort of doubt unless he really thinks a third game is likely he has any wish to work with them again.

You read his apology? He doesn't care.

stuminus3

Salty. In about 10-15 years McGee is going to find himself in Jeff Minter's position, wondering what he wasted the last 30 years of his life on. Except Jeff Minter has the benefit of being awesome.

Psi

Electronic Arts doesn't trick customers into buying things. They carefully apply proven marketing techniques to achieve the desired customer response.

That's gold Jerry. Gold!

Malio

Maybe now he can apologize for the game being mediocre.

just kidding

Why just kidding? That's all that guy does.

and lol at the "They carefully apply proven marketing techniques to achieve the desired customer response. " That's a beauty.

Top Bottom