• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reluctant-Hero said:
I've got bad feeling that we're all going to be disappointed. I think the "premium" map is that shitty folded map in the game case we've see in every unboxing.

If not, why hasn't Beth showed it yet?
One of my local gamestops has confirmed that preorders get an additional burlap map along with the regular paper map inside.

zethren

Banned
Simo said:
Not sure if anything new developed on this but it was confirmed via all the unboxing videos that the premium map isn't really a preorder bonus as all first run copies of the game come with it.

The premium map would not be packaged within the game case as it is a pre-order bonus. It would be handed out separately at launch by retailers. So I would assume that most people showing unboxings wouldn't have the premium map, because I would assume that most retailers:

A) Don't even have the maps in their stores yet.
B) Wouldn't provide them to people early, because they also wouldn't be providing the game early. I'm sure some have and will be, as some retailers always sell copies early either intentionally or by mistake, but I wouldn't expect most people who currently have copies to have also received the maps.

ironcreed

Banned
Wallach said:
To be honest I'm sort of okay with how that sounds. Especially if you can steal your stuff back if it does get confiscated.

I am good wit this as well. As it only lends further meaning to being a part of the Thieves Guild. Which is as it should be.

Simo

zethren said:
The premium map would not be packaged within the game case as it is a pre-order bonus. It would be handed out separately at launch by retailers. So I would assume that most people showing unboxings wouldn't have the premium map, because I would assume that most retailers:

A) Don't even have the maps in their stores yet.
B) Wouldn't provide them to people early, because they also wouldn't be providing the game early. I'm sure some have and will be, as some retailers always sell copies early either intentionally or by mistake, but I wouldn't expect most people who currently have copies to have also received the maps.

Top left corner...
ibl8FHZEZvuPq.jpg

Premium map is included with all first copies of the game, so yeah if you get it day 1 you'll be getting the map but after that it'll come with just a regular paper map.

spirity

I still class Oblivion as one of the best games this gen. Yeah, visually it hasn't aged well, and there was a couple of mechanics that disappointed me, but overall it was a fantastic experience. The faces, animation, levelled loot and stuff people hated didn't affect my enjoyment of it.

ReaperXL7

Spoiler question.

So I was under the impression that Beth had confirmed that there were not going to be any werewolves in Skyrim? Apprently now there is a video floating around out there confirming that they are in the game?

Can anyone confirm if this has been proven true, or False? I was disappointed when I read that they were not supposed to be in, but if this is true than my hype has gone into the Danger Zone.

zethren

Banned
Simo said:
Top left corner...
http://i.minus.com/ibl8FHZEZvuPq.jpg

Premium map is included with all first copies of the game, so yeah if you get it day 1 you'll be getting the map but after that it'll come with just a regular paper map.[/QUOTE]

Curse you!

Was it a pre-ordered copy? And did the retailer have any of the maps in store?

EDIT:

Ah, gotcha. Didn't see your post with the text at first, and only saw the image of the box.

Interesting, good to know. Thanks for the clarification.

So no one can help me with my question?

Mortrialus said:
Hey, I hate to be that guy, but can anyone sauce me a good Skyrim video showing off the melee combat? Preferably Sword and Shield stuff. I haven't been following up on the game, and I have no idea how they're handling it this time around.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Simo said:
Top left corner...

Premium map is included with all first copies of the game, so yeah if you get it day 1 you'll be getting the map but after that it'll come with just a regular paper map.
Yeah, "pre-order bonuses" are often misleading in that they're packaged with all first-run copies of a game (sometimes only at a specific retailer). This was the case with the Recon helmet for Halo: Reach, and the classic Sub-Zero outfit/fatality with Mortal Kombat.

Luthos

Einbroch said:
Impressions from playing the 360 version about 6 hours today:

From the get-go, let me state that I loved Oblivion and have only played Morrowind for about 8 hours. I am in the crowd that did NOT hate the Speech minigame (although I didn't enjoy it) and did NOT mind the zooming-up-on-people's-faces thing that Oblivion did. I did dislike the repetitive dungeons, main storyline (mainly the gates), and scaling enemies.

The game is GORGEOUS. It's so pretty. While technically not Unchartamazing, the atmosphere is incredible. Leafs rustle, trees sway, rain patters, snow gusts...I could go on. No one piece is amazing, but combined it truly makes it a sight to behold. The weather effects remind me of RDR. If it rains, people stay inside, if it snows, you can't see farther than twenty feet in front of you. There was one ugly part in a cave where the wall textures looked absolutely terrible, but that was one part.

Gameplay wise, it's great. I LOVE the regenerating health/magicka. Health recovers so slowly in combat it never matters, and outside of combat it recovers fairly quickly. Makes the flow of combat seem much faster. Combat itself is largely untouched from Oblivion besides the inclusion of finishing moves which seems random. One point I think they missed out on a great opportunity was the Favorites Wheel. You can quickly swap between magic/weapons/shields/items on the fly by tapping up on the D-pad. Hit the respective trigger on what you want, boom, it's bound. HOWEVER, you can "perma-slot" a spell/item/weapon to the left or right D-pad. Great, right? Except it's not a "preset", it's a single skill. So say you have a "recovery preset" you want that has healing in one hand and a shield in the other. Can't do it. You can slot a shield to the left D-Pad and a healing spell to the right, but it's not too smart about it.

Say you want to go from Fireball in both hands to said "recovery preset", you have to hit [right D-pad], [right D-pad], [left D-pad], and to get back to your offensive preset you have to go into the Favorites menu and left and right trigger fireball again. It doesn't seem like much, but saving both hands to a left D-pad preset would have made it SO much more intuitive.

Enough about that. The music is fantastic. It teases the main theme so many times I'm like "COME ON", but in a good way. City themes seem unique, battle themes swoop in and out with combat (except the music still gives away when there's an ambusher nearby, DOH!), it's just splendidly done.

It's Oblivion without the crappy stuff from Oblivion. Rare items, involving quests, a main quest that doesn't suck, crafting that matters, character building decisions that matter, DRAGONS (which, by the way, are hard as balls)...it's great. Oh, and did I mention the music makes me well up with mantears? Because it does. I'm enjoying this more than I enjoyed Oblivion, and Oblivion is my fourth favorite game of all time.

More than willing to answer a few questions about specifics. I. Love. This. Game.

Oh my, this got me excited.

Simo

ReaperXL07 said:
Spoiler question.

So I was under the impression that Beth had confirmed that there were not going to be any werewolves in Skyrim? Apprently now there is a video floating around out there confirming that they are in the game?

Can anyone confirm if this has been proven true, or False? I was disappointed when I read that they were not supposed to be in, but if this is true than my hype has gone into the Danger Zone.

Proven true through some of the streams and screen captures. Not only that but
you can transform into one too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ReaperXL07 said:
Spoiler question.

It's true and fucking awesome.

Simo

vatstep said:
Yeah, "pre-order bonuses" are often misleading in that they're packaged with all first-run copies of a game (sometimes only at a specific retailer). This was the case with the Recon helmet for Halo: Reach, and the classic Sub-Zero outfit/fatality with Mortal Kombat.

Yeah, I think the kicker has been the misleading part of about a "cloth map" being given away in the style that the map would be an old style, soft fabric material.

Curse you!

Was it a pre-ordered copy? And did the retailer have any of the maps in store?

EDIT:

Ah, gotcha. Didn't see your post with the text at first, and only saw the image of the box.

Interesting, good to know. Thanks for the clarification.

That's not my copy but one sent to a reviewer IIRC. That same map though is in the CE of the game which was advertised to include the premium map without having to preorder.

Scythian

Man, I'm getting hyped pretty easily by just looking at the Box art, it's really good. Also only needed to know there are "Involving quests", "Rare items", and "Good main quest" to get me excited for the game. It can't come soon enough.

zethren

Banned
Simo said:
That's not my copy but one sent to a reviewer IIRC. That same map though is in the CE of the game which was advertised to include the premium map without having to preorder.

I watched IGN's unboxing of the CE version of the game and it was just a paper map, so that's not very reassuring of any cloth map in the standard editions. Man, that's kind of disappointing :/

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
In terms of size, is this the biggest or where does it stand? Looks smaller than Marrowind's map going by the OP.

zethren

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
In terms of size, is this the biggest or where does it stand? Looks smaller than Marrowind's map going by the OP.

Skyrim's map is 16 square miles. I'm not sure of the exact mileage of Oblivion's map, but it has been stated to be just under 16 miles. So Skyrim is bigger than Oblivion at least. I don't know how it compares to Morrowind.

CyReN said:
So...wrong...

Sf8ZE.jpg

That actually kind of makes me mad...lol

LiquidMetal14 said:

As said it is a tad bigger than Oblivion's map, which in itself is bigger than Morrowind (though it felt smaller because Cyrodiil's terrain was more gentle than Vvardenfells). By the way, these maps are definitely not to scale, so just because a province looks smaller compared to say Cyrodiil, it won't be smaller in-game.

Were 5 days from release and still confusion over the map

Will say if that paper map in the unboxings is the "premium" I'll be slightly disappointed

zethren

Banned
GodfatherX said:
Were 5 days from release and still confusion over the map

Will say if that paper map in the unboxings is the "premium" I'll be slightly disappointed

After watching more unboxings it seems that the map's surface does have some kind of texture to it that lends it to feel like an old worn out map. That said, it's still paper and not actually cloth. I suppose it's a plus that the surface of the map doesn't appear to be a glossy sheen, like the Oblivion or Morrowind maps though.

Einbroch

Banned
Well just encountered my first game-breaking glitch.

Enemy in a corner that I can't hit. Need to hit it to complete the quest. Have to reload 30 minutes back.

Loxley

Einbroch said:

Enemy in a corner that I can't hit. Need to hit it to complete the quest. Have to reload 30 minutes back.

So we can now confirm that Skyrim is, in fact, an authentic Bethesda game :D

Luthos

Einbroch said:

In before cancellation of pre-orders.

=P

Mrbob

Nice friend to gift the game for you. I'm going to hit up Target and their 10 dollar gift card friday.

I have the game preordered through newegg for 47.99, but with the target gift card this becomes a close wash. Plus I can play the game next weekend versus waiting.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
zethren said:
After watching more unboxings it seems that the map's surface does have some kind of texture to it that lends it to feel like an old worn out map. That said, it's still paper and not actually cloth. I suppose it's a plus that the surface of the map doesn't appear to be a glossy sheen, like the Oblivion or Morrowind maps though.

There never was a cloth map. Bethesda's official announcement of the pre-order bonus makes no mention of a cloth map. They describe it as "a high-grade material that has a feel similar to burlap"

Mrbob said:
Nice friend to gift the game for you. I'm going to hit up Target and their 10 dollar gift card friday.

I have the game preordered through newegg for 47.99, but with the target gift card this becomes a close wash. Plus I can play the game next weekend versus waiting.
Indeed, and it was totally unexpected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom