• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does your recorded voice not sound like your "real" voice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud

when i sing songs, my voice sounds incredibly beautiful; when i record it, however, and play it back, i sound awful.

dammit!

G-Fex

Yeah when I hear my voices on my videos after broadcasting/streaming it sounds just bad on commentary.

I sound like garfield

Amagon

gAB3o.gif

I hate my voice, but someone recently told me I have a "movie trailer voice."

Not sure if I should take that as a compliment or an insult, but I still believe the person who told me that is full of shit.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
The facts on page one have disturbed me. I really sound like that? I hate my voice like I hate the rest of me.

Could keep my eyes though.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Because you hear your own voice through your head from your vocals chords through your neck and head to your ears, others hear it through from your mouth directly to their ears
It's why it sounds lighter on recordings

That's odd, I perceive my voice as sounding much deeper in recording.

Everyone tells me I have a really cool voice, and I think my voice sounds okay in my head, but when I hear it in a recording it sounds nasally and terrible.

Fou-Lu

What's weird is everyone who has heard my voice recorded says it sounds nothing like me. So I guess I don't know what I actually sound like.

Everyone says I sound almost exactly like my Dad and have a deeper voice than my older brother, but to my own ears they both have much deeper and manlier voices than I, and my recorded voice just sounds like a stoner, more specifically Alex House when he plays Todd in Todd and the Book of Pure Evil.

Fou-Lu

Some people have abnormalities of the inner ear that enhance their sensitivity to this component so much that the sound of their own breathing becomes overwhelming, and they may even hear their eyeballs moving in their sockets.

Whew, I'm not the only one then. Fucking eyeballs. Only been able to hear it since my eardrum exploded in the sixth grade.

BigDug13

Stick your fingers in your ears and talk. That deep voice you hear...that's what you pick up in sound just because the voice is coming from inside you. Eliminate that portion of the sound that you hear by covering your ears, and what you are left with is what everyone else hears, including yourself when listening back from recordings.

Not only does my recorded voice make me cringe to no end like most of you, but to add insult to injury I also have a pretty bad stutter which I usually don't notice when I'm speaking, or at least it sounds nowhere as bad to me as it does when I hear a recording. So yeah listening to myself is one of the most depressing activities I can do.

Strangely though I've had several compliments about my voice on the phone, but it's always from someone who has a crush on me at the time, which invalidates their opinion I guess.

Melchiah

Because you hear your own voice through your head from your vocals chords through your neck and head to your ears, others hear it through from your mouth directly to their ears
It's why it sounds lighter on recordings

Really? I always thought mine sounds more darker on a recording.

GDGF

Soothsayer
When I hear myself through myself I sound like Billy Dee Williams.

When I hear myself through a recording I sound like Big Bird.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I've always had a deep-ish voice but when I hear a recording it sounds cartoonishly deep with a twinge of nerd to it. And I realize that I sometimes talk REALLY fucking fast.

Yeah, hate it.

I've been told that I have the voice to do voice overs or like radio spots and stuff but whenever I hear my voice through recording, it's cringe inducing at least for me.

danwarb

It depends on what's used to record it. The better the recording equipment the less strange it sounds. I think the differences stand out more for your own voice.

apana

It sounds so deep and clunky in a recording, when to me it always felt light and melodious. Thanks for the thread, I thought I was the only one suffering from tricky voice syndrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom