• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yoshi title announced for Wii U! (Looks like Yoshi: Epic Yarn)

Grym

Epic Yarn was a great game (though waaaay too easy) with a great art style. I really look forward to this

I always figured that Good Feel would be a solid choice for a new Yoshi game, not entirely based upon the fact that Epic Yarn's visual style was reminiscent of how the Yoshi's series handles its art direction but because how Epic Yarn actually plays has shades of Yoshi's Island cast over it to the point I felt it was equal parts Yoshi to Kirby in gameplay at any rate.
You've got an emphasis on item collection and point scoring to be the games main "difficulty" focus, wrapping up enemies into yarn projectiles was like a much more simplified egg throwing system, vehicle transformation sections and so on. Yeah these traits have similarities to Kirby as well of course but point is what they did with Epic Yarn could be expanded upon to suit a Yoshi game quite well.

And here it is, now i'd sooner have seen a different art style myself but regardless it looks nice, I just wish we got to see more of the game because there's not much to go on right now.

Yeah would Nintendo just show us pre concept video to announce a game now ? Are they that late in dev ?

I wouldn't be surprised. They didn't even give us a name, tell us what the game will be play as far as gameplay is concerned, etc, all we know is that the Epic Yarn guys are making it and that Yoshi is in it. I'm willing to bet that the final product will look more like the screenshots than the demo video. I hope so, at least.

GimMick

All of my want. Been too long since the last Yoshi game ! Style looks like a mash between Yoshi's Story and Kirby Epic Yarn with some 3D added, but the gameplay actually looks like something newer (2D->3D transformation). Hope it's for this year :)

I expect a Yoshi's Island 2 using the old SNES/DS art style will be for 3DS, maybe in a couple years time.

That way the parallax layers can truly 'pop' with 3D depth of field.
Yep, YI art style should be a great fit for the 3DS, and since the DS already got 2 Yoshi games it could happen. But who would make it is the biggest question.

SykoTech

The footage shown looks like LittleBigPlanet, aha.

Sackboy is indeed all I could of after Yoshi hatched out of that egg. Sackboy is as charming as can be though, so that's certainly not a bad thing. Great artstyle just like LBP.

Love me some Yoshi, but I hope this game isn't too much like Kirby's Epic Yarn. That was just boring. And I usually enjoy Kirby games, even the easy ones.

also

Banned
Kirby's Pinball land or Kirby's Adventure for me.

Epic Yarn didn't do anything for me. Are the early stages especially weak compared to later ones? It is the last platformer that I bought and got quickly bored with that I can remember.
That's surprising. I recently bought it on VC and just couldn't get into it. The tables are way too simple and barren.

I loved Yoshi's Island, loved Yoshi's Story, enjoyed Epic Yarn so I think my bases are covered no matter how the game turns out. Was really hoping for a drawn look though.

Looks promising, but what's going on in those shots? Are the enemies all yarn? I'd be somewhat disappointed if they just recycled the Kirby art style, as good as it was. Sack Yoshi looks cool.

TheChits

meh

Doesn't blow me away. I would've preferred an art style closer to Yoshi's Island as right now it looks like some mod for Kirby's Epic Yarn. I feel this could be Yoshi's Story 2.0, which is not a good thing.

Yoshi's Story 2.0 would be awesome for me. I loved that game

AniHawk

yoshi's story's greatest sin is that it was too fucking short. i thought it was pretty fun to play though. pretty charming.

epic yarn was boring. i'd rather take short over boring.

Servbot24

Banned
It looks very nice, but if it's as easy as Epic Yarn I won't be interested unfortunately.

Now if it's as good as Yoshi's Island :D

galvatron

That's surprising. I recently bought it on VC and just couldn't get into it. The tables are way too simple and barren.

I can buy that it really doesn't hold up (and I remember revenge of the gator being better). I last played it when my black and white gameboy was my go-to portable.

yoshi's story's greatest sin is that it was too fucking short. i thought it was pretty fun to play though. pretty charming.

The greater sin is that there's entire sections of stages that you'd quite possibly never see if you guzzled down 30 fruits before reaching them which was a likely occurrence unless you were on a melon run.

I wonder how a retooled Yoshi's Story would play with the same stages but laid out in a more traditional style like Yoshi's Island.

You guys have to remember Epic Yarn started off not being a Kirby game while this was probably designed as a Yoshi game from the start

AniHawk

Yoshi, 3D Mario, and Wind Waker HD!

august: pikmin 3
september: wind waker hd
october: yarn yoshi
december: mario wii u

february: bayonetta 2
march: mario kart
may: ssb4
october: fire emblem x smt
november: animal crossing

2015: zelda wii u, xenoblade ii

pswii60

Massively disappointed that this is a 2D platformer, even if any Yoshi is better than no Yoshi. Five years ago I would have been massively excited, but I'm exhausted of them now. We've had so many, between 2D Marios, Kirby, Sonics and the plethora of XBLA/PSN and Steam games.

roddur

jEU1lASiuSwGf.png

this screenshot is soooo good.

I really hope Epic Yarn becomes a franchise that visits many Nintendo franchises. My hope is they give this title more unique Yoshi quirks that separate it from Kirby's Epic Yarna bit.

I was always hoping it would happen with Paper Mario becoming Paper Metroid, Paper Zelda, etc.. but this is pretty great as well. Speaking of that, Metroid Epic Yarn would be pretty cool. Grappling beam with yarn, shooting out rockets that explode into yarn. Yesss.

Okay, I want this.

august: pikmin 3
september: wind waker hd
october: yarn yoshi
december: mario wii u

february: bayonetta 2
march: mario kart
may: ssb4
october: fire emblem x smt
november: animal crossing

2015: zelda wii u, xenoblade ii

maybe youre kidding, but i cant imagine ssb4 or mario wii u coming out as soon as youre showing. some of those other ones seem pretty optimistic too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

The construction of this level reminds me of how some of the Yoshi's Story looked like they took place inside a cardboard box (Melee makes this even more obvious since you can rotate the camera and see the corners)

AniHawk

maybe youre kidding, but i cant imagine ssb4 or mario wii u coming out as soon as youre showing. some of those other ones seem pretty optimistic too.

ead tokyo had something to show last e3, and so did retro. ead tokyo's had about 3 years since the last console mario, and 3d land was made with heavy assistance from brownie brown and other studios. by the time november comes around, smg2 would have been finished for nearly four years.

ssb4 was announced in 2011 with sakurai attached as director (admittedly to sakurai's surprise). with bamco doing the grunt work for the design, a two or three year development time might be enough to get the game out (about the same amount of time for brawl).

i can see them fast-tracking certain games too. mario kart 7, 3d land, nsmb2, and pokemon were all pushed forward to keep certain markets alive. if they need big audience-grabbing titles, they'll make sure they come out sooner than later. stuff like xenoblade ii and zelda aren't going to bring a huge audience, so they can basically sit on those a while.

Reclaimer

Even though Yoshi's Island is probably my favorite 2D platformer on the SNES (maybe favorite platformer of all time), I'm a bit skeptical about this. I'll assume that it's not Kirby's Epic Yarn easy, and it retains the great level design, creativity, and boss design from Yoshi's Island... But I can't help but fear that this is Nintendo's plan for a very easy young children targeted game on Wii U.

Oh well. Looks gorgeous so far, and any new Yoshi is good Yoshi!

You guys have to remember Epic Yarn started off not being a Kirby game while this was probably designed as a Yoshi game from the start

I didn't know that! What did KEY start as?

serplux

Even though Yoshi's Island is probably my favorite 2D platformer on the SNES (maybe favorite platformer of all time), I'm a bit skeptical about this. I'll assume that it's not Kirby's Epic Yarn easy, and it retains the great level design, creativity, and boss design from Yoshi's Island... But I can't help but fear that this is Nintendo's plan for a very easy young children targeted game on Wii U.

Oh well. Looks gorgeous so far, and any new Yoshi is good Yoshi!

Nintendo's plan for an easy kid game is always Kirby. It's been that way since Game Boy. I'm sure this Yoshi game will be fine in difficulty(I'm kinda curious about that whole switching from 2D to 3D thing shown in the video).

ead tokyo had something to show last e3, and so did retro. ead tokyo's had about 3 years since the last console mario, and 3d land was made with heavy assistance from brownie brown and other studios. by the time november comes around, smg2 would have been finished for nearly four years.

ssb4 was announced in 2011 with sakurai attached as director (admittedly to sakurai's surprise). with bamco doing the grunt work for the design, a two or three year development time might be enough to get the game out (about the same amount of time for brawl).

i can see them fast-tracking certain games too. mario kart 7, 3d land, nsmb2, and pokemon were all pushed forward to keep certain markets alive. if they need big audience-grabbing titles, they'll make sure they come out sooner than later. stuff like xenoblade ii and zelda aren't going to bring a huge audience, so they can basically sit on those a while.

maybe... maybe... its optimistic so im not getting any hopes up. it would be great if it played out even close to that though.

I feel so conflicted over this. I'm glad that there is a new Yoshi game. And I'm glad that there is a new game using the yarn art style. I'm just not sure that I want those to things to be the same game.

Piano

Banned
I was sort of hoping it would go with the style they used in Brawl:
kqmwHtq.jpg

I enjoyed Kirby's Epic Yarn even though it was a bit of a snooze...but come on, they should do something really different with this.

Top Bottom