• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Raidou Kuzunoha Vs The Soulless Army Coming to PSN

Sweet. I wanted to get the PS2 retail of that but it was selling for $30. For $10 (I'm hoping it's $10 for the digital download), I'll definitely bite on this.

I still have part 2 (Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon), encased along with the Raiho plush toy.

I think this is the worst PS2 Megaten, but its still pretty good, and the story is nice. The sequel has vastly improved gameplay at the cost of the story.

Aeana

Oh def. getting this!
This being the first game, is it still good?
It's okay. The combat leaves a lot to be desired (and this is addressed in the sequel), but I'd still recommend a playthrough.

I do hope they get the second game out too.

jdkluv

The Year of Raidou Kuzunoha the XIV.

Raidou_Kuzunoha_render.png

Soriku

I think this is the worst PS2 Megaten, but its still pretty good, and the story is nice. The sequel has vastly improved gameplay at the cost of the story.

The story in 2 is good. Better than several other SMTs...though I don't think that says much.

Tizoc

It's okay. The combat leaves a lot to be desired (and this is addressed in the sequel), but I'd still recommend a playthrough.

iS IT worth playing for the story, characters and setting at least?

vocab

Cool. I already beat it though. Not much incentive to rebuy it.

iS IT worth playing for the story, characters and setting at least?

If you were to play one of the raidou games, Id probably just play the second one. If you play the first and then the second you will suffer from burnout. The games are almost too similar. Same city hub, same music in a lot of areas. Raidou 2 is just more like SMT feeling and has improved combat. Take that for what you will. I did enjoy the first one, but it has its fair share of problems.

Geeeeewd.
Now all I need is for PSN to put Evangelion 2 on the service.
and every dothack game and dark cloud and dragon quest and persona 4 and teenage mutant ninja turtles

I never played it because it's pretty rare in Europe, so I'll be getting it. I sure hope they put the 2nd one up because we never even got that.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Re: Nocturne. It runs really shit on Custom Firmware, might explain why it hasn't been done yet because they need to improve the emulator.

woah thats great.

hope we get the second game too.

and maybe digital devil saga if they managed to fix the problems with the emulator.

Why doesn't wario64 create news threads anymore?

And shinobi should return. Given the rate he posts on twitter he might as well get his account back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWcvvRD1KNg

A good gameplay trailer, it shows just how different this game is.

Raidou 2 reintroduces things like demon negotiation and an alignment system/choices, and is a good revival of classic smt concepts along with Devil Survivor 1, since then we have gone back to old school smt alignments and such with proper smt games, but this was a good start to reintroducing those concepts.

hoggert

Aspect Ratio!

The overall story, characterization, and dialogue are amazing. No Law vs. Chaos bullshit, just a great, quirky story. However, as others have said: the combat is flat out terrible. There's some bizarre, inventive boss fights, but playing up to them, even with the great story is a massive chore at times.

Jisgsaw

More that the actual fights, it's the sheer number of those fights that put me off (stopped about halfway in the game).
It wasn't a probelm in Nocturne, but I really think this game would have been better off with a much lower encounter rate (or at least reduce it in some area, going back to the agency/fusion shop is a real chore...)

vocab

Aspect Ratio!

The overall story, characterization, and dialogue are amazing. No Law vs. Chaos bullshit, just a great, quirky story. However, as others have said: the combat is flat out terrible. There's some bizarre, inventive boss fights, but playing up to them, even with the great story is a massive chore at times.

Ya, it has it strange moments.

Bath house
shooting cat into space
Every Rasputin piece of dialogue
Victor lol

The adventure game elements are all right. Love the detective angles too.

I think the best thing about the games is that they are broken up in chapters. So stopping and starting is easier.

More that the actual fights, it's the sheer number of those fights that put me off (stopped about halfway in the game).
It wasn't a probelm in Nocturne, but I really think this game would have been better off with a much lower encounter rate (or at least reduce it in some area, going back to the agency/fusion shop is a real chore...)

There's encounters in town too, ugh. You are like one shotting these enemies, and you still encounter them.

Raidou 2 doesn't have encounters in the towns at all, this game has way too many :p

cj_iwakura

Still, the worst Megaten is still a great game. It's not like this is NINE or something.

Also, people can appreciate the SMT1 ties now!

vocab

Ya, a lesser megaten is still better than a lot of games. Not a lot of people like devil survivor either.

Seda

Raidou 1 is an interesting departure from menu-based gameplay, and it's a bit rough in places. As some have said, the narrative is a pretty nice mystery-styled one, a little different from the tonality of Nocturne or DDS. It's an interesting game, but it can be frustrating at times to play. Luckily most of the issues were ironed out in the sequel, including better field movement, encounter rate, and battle camera.

I'm glad I played it, but I'll probably never revisit it.

Yes, the OST is pretty great, lots of trumpet in the tracks. Forimidable Foe is a solid boss encounter theme.

Soriku

Raidou 2 has a really high encounter rate, higher than Nocturne and DDS even (is it the same as Raidou 1?), except you can use Repulse Water in the game and you'll get almost zero encounters for a whole moon cycle. So despite encounters being really high, they are also very manageable. I wish Nocturne and DDS were like this. In those games the repel items only work if you visit an old area. The encounters in DDS really detracted from my enjoyment since the dungeons were long and confusing. Nocturne at least had demon fusion to keep me engaged.

If Raidou 1's encounter rate is the same as Raidou 2's without a viable way to keep encounters away...then holy crap.

Jisgsaw

Raidou 2 has a really high encounter rate, higher than Nocturne and DDS even (is it the same as Raidou 1?), except you can use Repulse Water in the game and you'll get almost zero encounters for a whole moon cycle. So despite encounters being really high, they are also very manageable. I wish Nocturne and DDS were like this. In those games the repel items only work if you visit an old area. The encounters in DDS really detracted from my enjoyment since the dungeons were long and confusing. Nocturne at least had demon fusion to keep me engaged.

If Raidou 1's encounter rate is the same as Raidou 2's without a viable way to keep encounters away...then holy crap.

It's been a while since I played the game, but I think the repel item was there too and worked the same way. Just wasn't as effective as I wished.
But having to fight lv 3 ennemies when you're level 30 just because you have to go back to the agency/fuse demons is utter BS.

Top Bottom