• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CliffyB on Saint’s Row: “Lose the gimps and dildos” to beat GTA

1edujd.jpg

2pmu4z.jpg

3usu91.jpg

6aou9x.jpg

4pou9i.jpg

52gukq.jpg

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/25/bleszinski-on-saints-row-lose-the-gimps-and-dildos-to-beat-gta/

They have several other tweets by him on the subject. But I think those above give a good idea of where he's coming from.

Why would a guy be embarrassed to be walked in on by his wife to see a dildo in a game, any normal wife would find it hilarious

Durante

Personally, I'd rather prefer for it keep the dildo (not so much the object in itself, but the lack of gravitas it stands for) and continue to fail to "beat" GTA.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Can't say he's wrong. As long as they keep it fairly lighthearted (and add more comical takedowns), they can lose one item.

Eusis

Half the appeal is in crazy hilarity though. Granted, I doubt they can just do the dildos and gimp suits again as that joke's been done, and they can probably manage to have an approach that's less embarrassing, but he lists examples that are more serious thrillers when I want something more like a glorious abomination that's the fusion South Park and GTA.
He is right. Cliffs B has good instincts
His forte is undoubtedly game design. And while it came at the cost of making the missions more like linear shooters he IS right that Saint's Row, SR3 at least, trounce GTA in mechanics. But I don't want an attempt at being a serious crime thriller on the story side either, maybe someone else can try to take that on.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I disagree. It's just a way of showing that the game isn't serious at all, plus it's pretty insignificant.

fuck that noise. any game where I can't ride a gimp through the city as he talks through an electronic voice box isn't worth my time.

DaBuddaDa

Please do the exact opposite of everything Cliffy B just said, Volition. I want a button mapped exclusively to a magical power that causes massive purple dildos to rain from the sky upon an enemy like a meteor shower.

Cartman86

Banned
I agree if it would help. I mean of course you are always going to have people who don't like anything in a game like that, but there is a certain level of maturity that can serve a far greater audience than it currently does. I wonder if would matter though. The dildo stuff is the worst stuff in that game so I don't think it would be a great loss. Neither do I think they should make a Michael Mann game though. Stick with the crazy and hilarious (singing along to the radio etc.) and dumb, but not dildo dumb I guess?

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think the often cringe-worthy attempts at humor is the only real thing Saint's Row has going for it.
Without it, it would just be a dull and poorly-made GTA.

Domstercool

I replied to CliffyB last night on Twitter about this subject. I don't want it to be "another GTA" I want it to be funny, hilarious, stupid. Sure the market campaign might have been a little too "dildo" with its strap it on phrase, but there is no need to actually remove that from the game itself.

http://www.giantbomb.com/dildo/93-833/ < Dildo games. ^_^ Dead Rising: Dildo Edition ;)

Kuroyume

Banned
Why is it that dildos and other forms of sexual humor are okay for film and TV but not videogames? And this coming from the guy behind curb stomping and beating people with their severed limbs?

UrbanRats

Only because you wear your dad's suit, doesn't make you an adult.
If you're a grown ass man and you're embarassed by the depiction of a dildo.. damn.

And if the medium perception as to be this superficial and shallow, i don't even give a fuck.
I welcome more maturity in the medium, but not faux bullshit and self serious pathetic shit like we've seen a lot this generation, just to act serious.

smr00

Banned
But GTA has dildos.
The difference is that the Dildo in SA you actually have to seek out and hunt down to get and isn't a selling point.

SR3? It was marketed in every single video and it's a reason i never bought SR3. I like the idea of how ridiculous the series is but gimps, giant dildo bats? That's not the kind of shit that is fun to me. That kind of shit makes me feel embarrassed that i am a gamer.

FyreWulff

Greatest GTA Game had a dildo in it. The game is rated M for Mature. If you don't want to swing dildos around with your wife in the room, limit your game selection to T and below.

Linkified

CliffyB losing the whole point of Saints Row...if you lose what Cliffy is talking about you will have another boring game...he doesn't need to use the Penetrator weapon.

As if people dont mostly buy SR3 BECAUSE of that stuff, not in spite of it...

Just like how every HBO show is loaded with nudity or nobody will watch it...

Top Bottom