• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

From the sound of it he wants to go back to Sweden, so no one will be picking him up.

Yeah, I think he was happy with the team. I think you are right, from my understanding he is going back to Sweden to be with his family and he is going to play for a team there. I may be wrong though.

Cystm

Yf2soe6.gif

- gifv

Yellow that.

This is Kaka's first straight red of his entire career. ...Fucking MLS.

Edit: Steven Gerrard made a halftime speech during last night's game and bought the LA riot squad supporters group tons of beer.

tim.mbp

The gif blocks the angle that shows the leg stomp. Not the most vicious, but he clearly stepped on Morales' leg when he was down.

Osorio

The Women's World Cup thread is getting silly already.

Back to MLS!

My very short-lived summer break is on so I'll be watching this late start game.

Cystm

Reminds me of the Canadians bitter over Leroux choosing to play for us, or the Germans bitter over John Brooks or these guys:

He choose to play for Italy, but that does not take away his growing up in Jersey or being an American. Likewise for the other people we cheer for every USMNT game.

Cystm

- SBISoccer: Clint Dempsey speaks about the incident with the ref and passing the arm band over to Micheal Bradley.

Deuce said:
“I got to experience being captain during the World Cup, and for me that was something special and I’ll always remember it, but it’s never been a big thing for me to be captain. Even with my club team in Seattle I’m not the captain. For me, it’s just about the team and just trying to win and win games and trying to do something special.”

Dempsey also briefly addressed the recent referee fiasco that resulted in him earning a three-game suspension in MLS. Dempsey – who was sent off for taking a match official’s notebook and ripping it up – said he had moved past the incident and was solely concentrating on helping the Americans successfully defend their Gold Cup title.

“That’s something I’ve put behind me,” said Dempsey. “I’ve talked with my teammates, talked with coaches. I’m just focused on moving forward, focused on the Gold Cup and making sure we win it, and putting ourselves in a position to make sure we’re qualifying for the Confederations Cup.”

Cystm

I hate MLS referees so hard. SO HARD.

Yeah, watching the Portland v San Jose game and I agree. This ref is an idiot. That dude just pushed off of Valeri's face.

Edit: Wow. Sherrod just elbowed someone in the face and cut him open. He is bleeding. Badly.

And he catches a fucking yellow!?

Meanwhile, Kaka get's a straight red for fucking nothing. This shit is so stupid.

Dartastic

Yeah, watching the Portland v San Jose game and I agree. This ref is an idiot. That dude just pushed off of Valeri's face.

Edit: Wow. Sherrod just elbowed someone in the face and cut him open. He is bleeding. Badly.

And he catches a fucking yellow!?

Meanwhile, Kaka get's a straight red for fucking nothing. This shit is so stupid.
That was Paparatto, one of our central defenders. Asprilla also got blatantly elbowed in the face. I saw video and I can find it later, but now I'm at a bar waiting for a burger. Refs quite literally wrecked that game.

Posting to subscribe to new thread.

And US Soccer is stilling rolling ever since we arrested FIFA.

With the men beating Netherlands and Germany, the women winning the World Cup, and the youth national teams performing respectably, this is probably the best month and a half in US Soccer history.

The Cup Final was huge.

30% of all households in the USA were watching at 8:30pm

Blows out any previous womens cup rating.

And like all ratings, that doesnt include bars.

USA’s 5-2 victory over Japan to win the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup tournament garnered a 15.2 overnight rating, destroying both the 8.6 overnight rating for the USA-Japan final in 2011 and blowing past the 13.3 overnight for the USA-China final in 1999.
http://sportstvratings.com/usa-japa...s-record-breaking-15-2-overnight-rating/3024/

Im curious how the US Men will draw tomorrow night. I havent seen any Gold Cup excitement

Meier

John Ourand ‏@Ourand_SBJ
Unbelievable: Fox averaged 25.4 million viewers for last night's WWC US-Japan game. Official announcement coming on FS1 at 1pm.

Coach

Question to those who know more about MLS than myself.

I understand why we do not follow the FIFA schedule from August - May. Trying to play games in the winter here, plus going against College and the NFL does not seem very smart.

But at the same time we have guys like Dempsey, Bradley, Altidore who are missing MLS games to be part of the USMNT for the Gold Cup right now. It seems that would really hurt a team like Toronto missing 2 key players.

Should the league just take a break while such tournaments are taking place?

Would the league every switch to a August- May format?

Sorry if I am rehashing an old topic - just trying to learn and get opinions.

Here ya go, Esch.

u3wf8QD.jpg

Probably brought in however much money they're giving him in a bunch of those novelty dollar sign bags. That'd make me smile too.

Also, the Manhattan borough president is trying to get the mayor to authorize a ticker tape parade down the Canyon of Heroes for the WNT. I'm totally down for that.

Osorio

As expected, people get defensive over soccer getting great TV results in America.

Does soccer hatred really get indoctrinated into American minds that badly?

daoster

I have to say, I didn't think Fox's coverage of the WWC was half bad. Some things I still liked on ESPN better, and I think as a whole, ESPN's online platform was better, but feeling a lot better about upcoming World Cups after seeing how they did on this one.

They just need to match WatchESPN and have Chromecast support.

Blue Lou

CONCACAF are reportedly trying to clean up their sullied image:

CONCACAF - REFORM FRAMEWORK

RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE SPECIAL COMMITTEE (JULY 4, 2015)

In the wake of the federal indictments against certain members of FIFA and CONCACAF,

including the President and an Executive Committee member of CONCACAF, as well as the provisional ban from all football related activities by the FIFA Disciplinary Committee of the CONCACAF General Secretary, the Special Committee submits to the Executive Committee (“ExCo”) for its approval this reform framework to address and remediate certain governance, operational and reputational issues in respect of CONCACAF.

This framework attempts to address deficiencies in the governance and operations of

CONCACAF that have put CONCACAF’s reputation, finances and ultimately, its mission at risk. The Special Committee recommends that the Confederation immediately undertake a process to enact changes to its governance structure, compliance programs, contract processes and operations to improve efficiency, prevent fraud and self-dealing and increase transparency - some of these recommendations have been implemented already, some can be implemented immediately and others will require additional discussion and time to implement, including amendments to the Statutes of the Confederation which must be approved by the Congress.

Since the announcement of the indictments, CONCACAF has with urgency and determination moved to strengthen operations and governance to provide tangible evidence that it plans to right its ship. It is important that CONCACAF not just talk about reforms, but implement processes to ensure that those reforms have impact and effect greater governance and transparency in order to position CONCACAF as a leader among sports organizations in terms of breadth and strength of reforms.

Below is a summary of what has been done to date and what remains to be done, including summary recommendations.

WHAT HAS BEEN DONE TO DATE:
  • ExCo action to provisionally ban Jeffrey Webb, Eduardo Li and Enrique Sanz - May 28, 2015 and June 1, 2015
  • ExCo action to appoint Special Committee of the ExCo to oversee on a temporary basis day to day operations of CONCACAF - May 28, 2015
  • ExCo approval of charter of Special Committee - June 3, 2015
  • ExCo approval of hiring of Alvarez & Marsal to assess and review finance and operations - June 22, 2015
  • Special Committee review and cancellation of all non-essential programming and events - ONGOING
  • Special Committee, Alvarez & Marsal and Sidley Austin LLP to review all expenditures, vendor contracts and sponsor contracts - ONGOING
  • Sidley Austin LLP to undertake an internal investigation to identify areas of fraud and self-dealing - ONGOING
  • CONCACAF to continue to cooperate with U.S. federal and Swiss authorities in their investigations -- ONGOING

INITIAL RECOMMENDATIONS OF CHANGES IN GOVERNANCE AND OPERATIONS:

Corporate Governance:
  • Require a minimum number of members of the ExCo to be independent - not affiliated with any football-related activities of any member association
  • Impose term limits on all members of the ExCo, including the President
  • All senior officer and ExCo compensation to be reviewed and approved by independent members of the Compensation Committee on an annual basis and approved by the ExCo
  • ExCo member compensation to be approved by Congress on an annual basis
  • Review and recommend changes to ExCo composition, nomination and election procedures to ensure greater representation and prevent entrenchment
  • Appoint independent members to a Governance Committee of the ExCo to evaluate governance and transparency on an annual basis; make report public to members
  • Provide annual training to ExCo and officers on duties and corporate governance

Improve Compliance Programs and Prevention of Fraud:
  • Review and adopt stronger related party transaction policies - all employees and ExCo members must certify on an annual basis compliance as to policies, including restrictions on transactions with immediate family members and formal processes for disclosure and recusals for ExCo members for conflicts of interest
  • Code of Ethics and Conduct - to be revised and posted on website; all employees and ExCo members must certify compliance on an annual basis
  • Establish the position of Chief Compliance Officer with responsibility for overseeing the compliance program and with direct reporting lines to General Secretary and independent members of Audit Committee
  • Implement whistleblower hotline to report directly to Audit Committee
  • Appoint Chief Legal Officer with significant experience in corporate compliance to create a more significant internal legal department to manage contracts, documentation and legal liability, including human resources function
  • Review process for negotiating and approving all vendor contracts, including sports marketing and sponsor contracts
  • Implement a “pre-approved” vendor system for all contracts with CONCACAF, including credit and background checks for all vendors.
  • Impose audit rights of CONCACAF upon vendors in contracts for compliance with bid processes and covenants regarding bribery and compliance with Code of Ethics and Conduct
  • Retain outside consultant(s) to improve bid process, audit counterparties for bribery and fraud and review internal controls, including expense and reimbursement controls
  • Further review of commercial and employment contracts to identify contracting best practices to protect CONCACAF’s interests and rights in the future (including standard termination provisions for violations of CONCACAF Code of Ethics and Conduct, clawback policies for senior officers and vendor contracting policies)
  • Provide training to all employees, officers and ExCo members relating to the Code of Ethics and Conduct, anti-bribery processes, anti-money laundering and other aspects of the compliance program
  • Evaluation of all insurance policies and annual evaluation by ExCo of risk to the enterprise,
  • including IT, brand and vendor risks

Transparency:
  • Make available publicly annual financial statements and budget of CONCACAF on website
  • All officer and ExCo compensation reported under IRS Form 990 to be publicly available on CONCACAF website
  • Post charters of committees of the ExCo to CONCACAF website (e.g., Audit, Compensation, Governance and Special Committee) and any key compliance program documents such as Code of Ethics and Conduct, governance guidelines, vendor policies etc.
  • Agenda of ExCo meetings to be made available to all members

Implementation:
  • Special Committee to have powers to implement such recommendations with approval of ExCo and to recommend proposed revised Statutes to be approved by Congress
  • Alvarez & Marsal to work with Special Committee to manage day-to-day operations
  • Sidley Austin LLP to provide counsel, including review of policies, contracts and other documents, and manage internal investigation

Special Committee of the Executive Committee

• Justino Compean
  • Sunil Gulati
  • Victor Montagliani

As expected, people get defensive over soccer getting great TV results in America.

Does soccer hatred really get indoctrinated into American minds that badly?

I thought the same thing. Even said it in the WWC thread. If it isn't the big three (NHL is about as niche as it gets these days), it's garbage in their eyes. So aggravating.

I have to say, I didn't think Fox's coverage of the WWC was half bad. Some things I still liked on ESPN better, and I think as a whole, ESPN's online platform was better, but feeling a lot better about upcoming World Cups after seeing how they did on this one.

They just need to match WatchESPN and have Chromecast support.

It wasn't bad, I agree, but part of me longed for Ian Darke in the final last night. :'(

Osorio

Giovani dos Santos is to sign for LA Galaxy ($9m per annum!). Would that put Mexican bums on seats?

Shit, it better. People can get on us for attendance, but the Galaxy have hardly sold out a game this season and they're the most successful team in the league.

gutshot

Ives Galarcep @SoccerByIves
I'm told Adu left KuPs to return to USA to weigh options here. Hearing several NASL teams are interested & an MLS return could also happen.

My bet is he ends up at the Cosmos.

Top Bottom