• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation TV (Vita TV) officially discontinued in Japan

KZObsessed

It was a good idea Vita TV, just so poorly executed. UK version especially, the compatibility of games is pathetic.

JoshHood

Sony never even bothered trying with this thing - there's not even Netflix in the UK/EU. I love mine for playing longer games without cramping my hands though.

Sony never even bothered trying with this thing - there's not even Netflix in the UK/EU. I love mine for playing longer games without cramping my hands though.

This.

I started a new playthrough of Persona 4 Golden a few weeks ago on my actual Vita to actually finish the game at last for the first time. And while on the first night, it was fine, the second night, I just had cramp to the point I swapped immediately over from the handheld to the PSTV.

That being said, I only bought my PSTV for Persona 4 Golden (though I do wish I had waited a few weeks when I did - I bought it at £80, came down to around £40 a few weeks after) and I don't regret my purchase for the most part price aside. I got it for more or less one reason and it did its job.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Didn't even know what PSTV was so it shows how much advertising Sony did. Must've blown all their money on features and support for it.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
taZqh6F.jpg

;_;7

Jashobeam

The ability to play PSP and Vita games using DS4 controller makes it worth owning for me, that and the fact that it will probably outlive my vita and ps3 consoles due to its small and simple design.

Audioboxer

The whitelist support is ridiculous. Made even stupider when the homebrew scene came along and provided 1 file that allows all games to be played. Hard work for Sony....

The marketing for this thing in Finland made it sound like a Remote Play device first, a Vita game player second. It doesn't even have fucking Netflix. Everything that connects to a TV has Netflix, that's the whole reason Netflix is so successful. But no, Sony won't let them do a thing.

I have an Nvidia Shield Tablet for remote play purposes now. Android Remote Play is much better at it too, supports up to 720p 60 fps while the Vita (and TV) is locked to a lower resolution.

MAtgS

Playing P4G on mine as I type this. Granted aside from that game, the device is really only good for Dissidia on TV. Even the Lego game it came with has a few issues with no touch inputs.

Sony should've just put a HDMI out on the Vita.

Mokubba

The marketing for this thing in Finland made it sound like a Remote Play device first, a Vita game player second. It doesn't even have fucking Netflix. Everything that connects to a TV has Netflix, that's the whole reason Netflix is so successful. But no, Sony won't let them do a thing.

I have an Nvidia Shield Tablet for remote play purposes now. Android Remote Play is much better at it too, supports up to 720p 60 fps while the Vita (and TV) is locked to a lower resolution.
Ps TV remote play is 720p from what I remember.

Soulflarz

Banned
People (online) were way too excited when this was announced back then, then it came out...

To be fair the support wasnt too good.

I know people who don't own vitas and want vitas. I offer them to use my PS TV which I have never used with a 4 gb memory card for free for any games they want. The issue is- they won't even buy their own ps tv at $25. They'll buy a vita at $80 though!

Azalean

Banned
I thought it was dumb the moment it was announced. Seems like the general public agrees.

I'm assuming it's already discontinued in the US?

Card Boy

Banned
Count me as one that was super excited for the device, but then details come out of its shitty support....

Why the fuck where they activity blocking the whitelist hacks if they just gonna drop the device anyway? Talk about a beyond pathetic move by Sony.

I guess resell value will rise now.

Mr Swine

Banned
I remember when this was rumored and announced people here said that it would be a great success, far greater than Vita ever had. Sadly it didn't turn out that way wither with Vita TV. I do wonder how much they have sold in the western world though

Wow. Forgot how super excited people were for it here.

I own one thanks to that Amazon flash deal a year ago, but I never really had a decent use for it. And now with some key Vita games escaping the Vita (like Danganronpa), it's definitely a paperweight to me now.

Tohsaka

That sucks, I still use mine a lot. Most of the localized games that came out after it was released here that I bought have been supported.

A terrible shame. I got a lot of use out of mine anyway once I got one, admittedly at quite a budget price. Should have just scrapped the damn whitelist though and just put a warning when trying to start up ges that if they need a touch screen they might be functional.

You get stuff like danganronpa 1 which is unplayable on EU vita TVs for no obvious reason. Ugh. Accidentally updated the firmware on my vita TV past the point where the hack worked too- big mistake.

sTiTcH AU

It was a great idea but had worse support than the Vita. I regretted my purchase almost instantly, my fault though for not reading thourouly about which Vita games were supported, but it literally supported none of the games i wanted to play on my tv.

Kysen

£72 for a 64GB card =lol. I always thought the Vita tv was a way for Sony to avoid a write down on vita parts they over ordered. Seems they had to write it off anyway when it flopped. The vita OS has been neutered recently cant multitask for shit anymore.

Ogawa-san

I can't say I regret buying one, I wanted to play Vita games on a TV with a dualshock and that I did - mostly SSD for over a hundred hours, but still. And then Vita stopped getting exclusives, with almost everything nowadays being either multiplatform or ported elsewhere later, so I haven't had an use for it for over a year now.

Of course, it would've helped if it had any other use, but...

Kouriozan

Sony is never updating that whitelist... good thing I sold mine when they killed that whitelist exploit.
It could have been so much more, talk about wasted potentials.

Whitelist was a mistake.

Why they thought whitelist was a good thing beyond me considering 1 homebrew file made all games playable.

They also never updated the whitelist, publishers had to manually patch that shit.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
To be honest, I'm surprised anything Vita-related survives in 2016. The whole thing is an idealistic project that survives only by the grace of good intentions and the other profitable businesses at Sony that serve as a subsidy for it.

There was room for a Sony initiated set-top box... but this was never it. It was completely half-hearted from the start. Just a repackaging of the existing Vita hardware with an HDMI output.

There was zero focus on designing an elegant set-top box here. In design terms, this was "technology first" ("we have Vita so how can we cheaply ram it into a TV?") and had no mind to design an elegant Playstation TV interface for the budget market.

The whitelist support is ridiculous. Made even stupider when the homebrew scene came along and provided 1 file that allows all games to be played. Hard work for Sony....
This just sums up the whole device imo, plain laziness on Sonys behalf. It's like they launched it to die.

Sony sent it to die. It had so much potential. Sub-hd output, stupid whitelist, expensive memory card etc these thing had been concerns even before pstv launched and Sony did jackshit to address them. It seems like they didn't even try.

Top Bottom