• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy XV update April 27- Pro features, new weapons, hunt ranking systems

RPGCrazied

Not holding my breath on the frame pacing. Plus I'm not even a Pro user. That would suck if they fix the pacing there, but no for base PS4 users. Its not entirely smooth there either, specially when your in the car.

Fatmanp

Try control scheme C. I found putting attack and defense on the triggers was much easier and ultimately more enjoyable then holding a face button. It also gives you a free thumb to control the camera as you fight.

I have been using that scheme it's just the camera in general is very bad and I find the combat system to be a total cluster****.

Guymelef

Pro updates.

ba873f06e3532c5c972e6f1b7935e1b3.jpg

More likely
y87aon.gif

Unknown?

God I hope so.

Not sure but I know I've yet to get this and would buy it in a heartbeat if they announced this summer that it'll take advantage of Scorpio's extra power.
It barely takes advantage of Pro. They've quickly threw together a crappy Pro version and never seriously worked on it and have stated they have no intention on seriously working on it. Unless they've changed their mind, I don't see them seriously working on Scorpio. If they do they better up their Pro effort and make a good resolution mode.

Tyaren

It barely takes advantage of Pro. They've quickly threw together a crappy Pro version and never seriously worked on it and have stated they have no intention on seriously working on it. Unless they've changed their mind, I don't see them seriously working on Scorpio. If they do they better up their Pro effort and make a good resolution mode.

To be fair though, with two Pro modes FFXV offers more modes than most other games offer on Pro and the HQ mode offers some of the best graphical updates of any game in a higher resolution mode on Pro. There's 1800p checkerboarding, greatly improved texture filtering, higher resolution shadows, better LOD, better foliage and better light shaft effects.
Usually we only see a higher resolution and slightly better texture filtering in these modes. And there's downsampling on HDTVs, which is unfortunately not a given anymore.
Yeah, there's improper framepacing, but for many this is actually a non-issue, including me. I played through the game two times exlusively in HQ mode and it felt just fine.

To be fair though, with two Pro modes FFXV offers more modes than most other games offer on Pro and the HQ mode offers some of the best graphical updates of any game in a higher resolution mode on Pro. There's 1800p checkerboarding, greatly improved texture filtering, higher resolution shadows, better LOD, better foliage and better light shaft effects.
Usually we only see a higher resolution and slightly better texture filtering in these modes.
Yeah, there's improper framepacing, but for many this is actually a non-issue, including me. I played through the game two times exlusively in HQ mode and it felt just fine.

I felt the exact same, and greatly enjoyed my way through the game and much more all in HQ mode. The only time things went south for me is when the HQ mode got unlocked frame rate or something for a while and it became a mess that I couldn't play it, but that did not last too long.

Timed hunts might be able to pull me away from Zelda to jump back to FFXV once again.

Weapons, good. I'm still pretty early in the game, but I'm far along enough that it's becoming annoying that there aren't any new weapons at any of the vendors and I haven't gotten anything good from any quests.

I'm kind of burned out on open world stuff right now but I'll probably jump back in maybe in a few weeks.

Unknown?

Usually we only see a higher resolution and slightly better texture filtering in these modes. And there's downsampling on HDTVs, which is unfortunately not a given anymore.

I feel the IQ could still be a lot better if it wasn't rushed. It was only included because it was delayed.

Have the revealed what happens with that egg you received during the Chocobo Festival? I hope it's something cool down the road if they haven't yet.

LordKasual

Banned
Awesome! Bought this game a couple of weeks ago and been enjoying the hell out of it. Glad I didn't listen to the naysayers.

you are objectively wrong

this game is an early release disorganized jumbled mess with a shitty story unplayable framepacing issues and depthless combat that should have been turn based, also luna is bad because reasons, they should just delete the game and release nomura's versus XIII

how dare you enjoy this game >:O

5.jpg

Are these enemies new? I've never seen them.

Nah they aren't new, they're in the malmalam thicket

Lol so no framepacing fix and basically just reverting to a mode they already had... My god really SE.

This is quite the leap in logic. Let's actually have the patch come out before assuming things and doing knee-jerk reactions, yeah?

Unless it takes out little resources from their team I don't understand why they're releasing updates so frequently for an offline game out from months when most people already bought it and the changes are in any case so little that new players would not even notice or care. Just bring the next DLC pack or FF sequel and move to the next project, perhaps this time releasing it in a better status instead of patching it through the months...

This is weird hearing you say this.

Arkeband

Banned
How to beat timed/event hunts:

• Equip Ragnarok
  • Equip the fast-armiger accessory
  • (optional) Equip Ribbon on Noctis
  • (optional) Let your useless teammates die
  • Warp strike for 9999
  • When Armiger is up, hold O
  • If things hit you randomly because it's impossible to see anything coming at you, drink a potion
  • Repeat as needed until everything's dead
  • Revive your teammates before combat ends
  • Collect 333-999 AP, eject disc, wait until next week for next event.

LordKasual

Banned

• Buy pay to win booster pack +
  • Equip pay to win items
  • (optional) Equip series staple endgame equipment on Noctis
  • (optional) Let your teammates die because you can't gear them properly and you have no concept of DPS
  • Warp strike for 9999
  • When Armiger is up, hold O, dont bother with Armiger Chain ever (since you let your teammates die)
  • If things hit you randomly because you're bad at the game despite playing well over 50 hours to have a shot at endgame content and can't use the evade button, pop a potion
  • Open NeoGAF, find latest XV thread

That is quite the viable strategy, i can't even lie lol

If you're looking for logical reasons for the extreme things people say about XV here, then you're barking up the wrong tree lol

With how "sensitive" people are to frame issues ruining their games, i don't see how so many people in these XV threads made it out of PSX/N64 era without quitting gaming entirely

Some games on those consoles were terrible and headache inducing with their frames.

God forbid we want technical progress in games almost 20 years later....

LordKasual

Banned
Some games on those consoles were terrible and headache inducing with their frames.

God forbid we want technical progress in games almost 20 years later....

Right, because there is absolutely zero evidence of technical progress on showcase in FFXV's engine

Arkeband

Banned
That is quite the viable strategy, i can't even lie lol

I can't even remember what items were from free DLC and which ones are "free" from buying the Season Pass. Either way, I guess it's not mandatory, just speeds it up.

Armiger Chain usually does less damage than holding Armiger unless you unlock the super-expensive damage limit break nodes.

lol @ evade button, yeah please hold evade during that clusterfuck Malboro fight and let me know how that goes.

Your teammates die to everything including your own magic, there's no 'gear' that can fix their AI except the "pay-to-win" Resistance Band to simply ignore game mechanics.

The point of mentioning Ribbon is that you're bound to run into one incidentally by the time you can mathematically attempt these timed events, at which point, since you can let your useless suicidal teammates die, only Noctis needs one in the very rare case that the monster uses a status effect.

TheCed

Nothing about the booster pack + ?

At this point, I wonder id they're going to add Post Game Bosses (I want that Cerberus or a WEAPÔN), because I pretty much killed everything that had to be killed.

Arkeband

Banned
Nothing about the booster pack + ?

At this point, I wonder id they're going to add Post Game Bosses (I want that Cerberus or a WEAPÔN), because I pretty much killed everything that had to be killed.

On a serious note, I'd want to see them implement fights that have actual mechanics, take some cues from FF14 or something and make you run around and avoid AOE's. Enough boring health sponges that take an hour to whittle down like Adamantoise. A weapon fight would be interesting, but we have no reason to believe it will be anything other than attacking a foot while the camera freaks out.

LordKasual

Banned
Armiger Chain usually does less damage than holding Armiger unless you unlock the super-expensive damage limit break nodes.

Ah, i see you've never used Armiger chain correctly before. There is no reason using Armiger Chain (correctly) should ever affect regular armiger damage.

Because you use it at the end of Armiger's duration. With your teammates nearby. The damage speaks for itself.

Your teammates die to everything including your own magic, there's no 'gear' that can fix their AI except the "pay-to-win" Resistance Band to simply ignore game mechanics.

Ah, i see you've never actually hit your teammates with magic before.

I can hit my entire team with a 400-500 potency Electon and even still the tick effect is too weak to deal any real damage to them.

It's really starting to sound like you've never played the game before. How far have you actually gotten?

The point of mentioning Ribbon is that you're bound to run into one incidentally by the time you can mathematically attempt these timed events, at which point, since you can let your useless suicidal teammates die, only Noctis needs one in the very rare case that the monster uses a status effect.

hahaha

If you think your teammates are useless, then it's obvious now why you think you need Ragnarok and Booster Pack + items in order to stand a chance at any of the timed hunts.

Ateron

No one can say they're not listening. Very happy about the upcoming patch. I'm not totally sure they're unaware of the uneven framepacing in hq mode, maybe there's some intrinsic engine problem they would have to rewrite a lot to solve. But if they can bring back the old lite performance I'm super happy.

Maybe they can even bring the unlocked fps closer to what it is in DS3. I was pleasantly surprised at the performance there. With a bit of optimization maybe they can keep it in the 50s. Or at least 45 and stop it from fluctuating so damn much.

At least they're listening even after the bulk of sales have already been met, the rest is just people waiting either for a price drop or a "complete" edition with all dlc, so.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
If you're looking for logical reasons for the extreme things people say about XV here, then you're barking up the wrong tree lol

With how "sensitive" people are to frame issues ruining their games, i don't see how so many people in these XV threads made it out of PSX/N64 era without quitting gaming entirely

High Mode has bad and noticeable framepacing. Full stop. There's no arguing it. Your level of sensitivity is the only thing that separates you from others.

Arkeband

Banned
Ah, i see you've never used Armiger chain correctly

Ah, i see you've never actually hit your teammates with magic before.

It's really starting to sound like you've never played the game before. How far have you actually gotten?

hahaha

whoa, we've got the king of ants here, talking about his l33t FFXV skills of walking behind things and holding attack buttons.

Magic might not outright kill your teammates but it typically incapacitates them at the very least.

Obviously you try to trigger the chain by the end of the armiger, but if you're warping around the field, you're often out of range of your teammates and it won't trigger, so you're stuck there mashing the prompts but nothing is happening and you waste time that could have been spent on just Armiger-ing some more.

No one can say they're not listening. Very happy about the upcoming patch. I'm not totally sure they're unaware of the uneven framepacing in hq mode, maybe there's some intrinsic engine problem they would have to rewrite a lot to solve. But if they can bring back the old lite performance I'm super happy.

Maybe they can even bring the unlocked fps closer to what it is in DS3. I was pleasantly surprised at the performance there. With a bit of optimization maybe they can keep it in the 50s. Or at least 45 and stop it from fluctuating so damn much.

At least they're listening even after the bulk of sales have already been met, the rest is just people waiting either for a price drop or a "complete" edition with all dlc, so.

Exactly. They are continuing to support and update the game even though there are no promises of more sales. I think that, in of itself, deserves some praise.

LordKasual

Banned
whoa, we've got the king of ants here, talking about his l33t FFXV skills of walking behind things and holding attack buttons.

Magic might not outright kill your teammates but it typically incapacitates them at the very least.

Obviously you try to trigger the chain by the end of the armiger, but if you're warping around the field, you're often out of range of your teammates and it won't trigger, so you're stuck there mashing the prompts but nothing is happening and you waste time that could have been spent on just Armiger-ing some more.

There's a very fine line between "l33t FFXV skills" and blatantly exaggerating mechanics so that you can call them bad.

It's not about MY skills as much as it's about me pointing out how poorly you seem to actually understand the mechanics of the game.

Anyway, i'm really happy they put Ragnarok in the game for you. I don't really know why you're even bothering with the timed hunts when the game is so shallow, but it's not really my place to ask i suppose.

High Mode has bad and noticeable framepacing. Full stop. There's no arguing it. Your level of sensitivity is the only thing that separates you from others.

I seem to recall being quite annoyed at the increasing load times from FF7 to FF8, and then the ridiculous 15 second load time during every random battle by the time we got to FF9.

but at some point, i decided to stop crying about it and just got around to enjoying the game.

again, i personally don't see why people even bother with High Mode when Lite Mode makes the game run so much smoother, but then again i don't understand alot of stuff that goes on in these XV threads

Arkeband

Banned
There's a very fine line between "l33t FFXV skills" and blatantly exaggerating mechanics so that you can call them bad.

It's not about MY skills as much as it's about me pointing out how poorly you seem to actually understand the mechanics of the game.

Anyway, i'm really happy they put Ragnarok in the game for you. I don't really know why you're even bothering with the timed hunts when the game is so shallow, but it's not really my place to ask i suppose.

Most of the actual combat mechanics that people refer to are locked behind thousands of AP, so instead of grinding it for hours I can just do a mindless timed event once a week and get there eventually and see if things get better.

The difference between Ragnarok and no Ragnarok is the amount of potions drank.

W.S.

Will they think it's worth it though? Isn't the Xbox slice of FFXV sales really bad?
Hasn't stopped them from continually updating the game on XBO alongside the PS4/Pro versions.

Besides, they've shown interest in Scorpio in previous online articles.

Gitaroo

Hasn't stopped them from continually updating the game on XBO alongside the PS4/Pro versions.

Besides, they've shown interest in Scorpio in previous online articles.

Work done on those updates can probably apply to both version easily; not like they have to work on the xbone version exclusively to get those update out. On top of that they can't just stop updating the game on xbone just because it's attachment rate is much lower, that give people zero confidence in buying anything from SE on Xbone ever; plus they also got marketing deal with MS so I can't imagine how they would look if they drop its support entirely. This gen doesn't have those patch size limit BS like ZOE2 never get patch on the 360. As for Scorpio support, didn't SE commented last week that Scorpio isn't their focus but instead focus more on the Switch. I still fully expect a GOTY edition announce and launch a long side with Scorpio, and best I can expect is 2160p checkerboard instead of 1800p Checkerboard and they call it a day.

These updates sound amazing. I decided to put XV down for a bit prior to the Gladio DLC releasing. Definitely going to play through the game again once the DLC is out ...and again when it's on PC with all of this stuff implemented, hopefully.

TimeSage

• Equip Ragnarok
  • Equip the fast-armiger accessory
  • (optional) Equip Ribbon on Noctis
  • (optional) Let your useless teammates die
  • Warp strike for 9999
  • When Armiger is up, hold O
  • If things hit you randomly because it's impossible to see anything coming at you, drink a potion
This is the only strategie the game has to offer lol.

W.S.

Work done on those updates can probably apply to both version easily; not like they have to work on the xbone version exclusively to get those update out. On top of that they can't just stop updating the game on xbone just because it's attachment rate is much lower, that give people zero confidence in buying anything from SE on Xbone ever; plus they also got marketing deal with MS so I can't imagine how they would look if they drop its support entirely. This gen doesn't have those patch size limit BS like ZOE2 never get patch on the 360. As for Scorpio support, didn't SE commented last week that Scorpio isn't their focus but instead focus more on the Switch. I still fully expect a GOTY edition announce and launch a long side with Scorpio, and best I can expect is 2160p checkerboard instead of 1800p Checkerboard and they call it a day.

I'd be cool with that resolution although given Scorpio's prowess I'd expect something higher.

There was indeed a quote about SE wanting to support Switch more but there was an article previous to that on Dualshockers where Tabata talks about Scorpio updates:

"About Scorpio, Tabata-san explained that the studio is currently thinking on what kind of implementations could be made to update the game for the new console, even if he still doesn’t know what kind of variance there might be compared to the PS4 Pro version. That said, he mentioned that they’re going to try to make it as good as possible."

Gitaroo

I'd be cool with that resolution although given Scorpio's prowess I'd expect something higher.

There was indeed a quote about SE wanting to support Switch more but there was an article previous to that on Dualshockers where Tabata talks about Scorpio updates:

Difference between PS4pro-Scorpio is like PS4-Xbox One, it actually scale about right with 2160cb compare to 1800cb on the pro, just like 900p -1080p.Unless they have higher res texture created, making new texture to take advantage of the extra memory doesn't make any financial sense especially for a GOTY edition that is most likely cheaper msrp. 60fps is also out of the question with Scorpio CPU. SE is definitely not dumb enough to think they will sell millions of copies of a re-release even with a new system launch. Sales number of the initial release already give them idea of what to expect, FF fan base just isn't with Xbox no matter how hard they push the marketing.

W.S.

Difference between PS4pro-Scorpio is like PS4-Xbox One, it actually scale about right with 2160cb compare to 1800cb on the pro, just like 900p -1080p.Unless they have higher res texture created, making new texture to take advantage of the extra memory doesn't make any financial sense especially for a GOTY edition that is most likely cheaper msrp. 60fps is also out of the question with Scorpio CPU. SE is definitely not dumb enough to think they will sell millions of copies of a re-release even with a new system launch. Sales number of the initial release already give them idea of what to expect, FF fan base just isn't with Xbox no matter how hard they push the marketing.

I wouldn't expect 60 fps given how badly that worked out for the Pro but then again I never brought that up :p

Texture wise I suppose it'll depend on what the highest quality textures they have available at the time of the upgrade for the Scorpio but it could very well end up being 2160cb which I would be okay with as well if it maintains a solid framerate.

valkyre

Stable mode with framepacing?
Stable mode without framepacing?

You never know with these guys... seems they cant understand the concept of frame pacing or they just dont give a fuck.

Squire

Banned
Already sold it, i guess this is good for people who are late to buy the game, but IMO i don't see how this entices people back to play more if they've already completed the game.

Game isn't even in the top 20 of NPD anymore. They're wasting time and money.

Rellik

I hope they don't remove variable frame rate and just add another option for the 30fps cap. I can't notice the judder, screen tear or frametime issue at all. I'm 10 hours in the game and it feels smooth to me.

What I do notice is the increased sound of the fans. Hope they fix that as even on menu it spins like crazy.

I need an update that stops my Pro from sounding like a jet engine. I have to turn off lite mode to play it.

That's on Sony. Or would you rather companies not attempt to push the hardware that they are given?

Byvar

It's been revealed what the new sticker and car music included with this update is. It's a collaboration with Sakaguchi's Terra Battle! 3 tracks from that game (which has Nobuo Uematsu music) are being added to the Regalia's collection.

In Terra Battle, there will be a FFXV event and Noctis will be a recruitable character.
A bit off-topic, but speaking about Mistwalker, it looks like beta testing has opened for their next game. You need to live in Japan and own an Android. I guess that confirms their new game is mobile...

It's been revealed what the new sticker and car music included with this update is. It's a collaboration with Sakaguchi's Terra Battle! 3 tracks from that game (which has Nobuo Uematsu music) are being added to the Regalia's collection.

We're never getting FFXV music in there...

Top Bottom