• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour demo now on PC [Steam]

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour just hit Steam.

Should also be a good tool to use to see how the game works on your machine.

For those curious, PC Graphics options, courtesy of wbacon:

d24b1846ec75261be1369604b7a247a0c4890d10.jpg

Graphics Options:
Screen Resolution…self-explanatory here, but the game will list arbitrary resolutions supported by your monitor and Windows desktop environment.
Refresh Rate…adjustable to frequencies supported by your monitor. Also supports 144Hz high refresh monitors including Nvidia G-Sync.
Display Mode…Full screen, Windowed, and Borderless Window modes are supported
Field of View…FOV angle can be adjusted here
Frame Rate…supports 30, 60, and Variable (uncapped)
V-Sync…ON/OFF
Rendering Method…Two options available - Normal and Interlaced
Resolution Scaling…controls the game’s internal rendering resolution. This is akin to upscaling and downsampling of the final video output. Selectable option ranges from 0.5X to 2.0X. 1.0X is 100% 1:1 native output. The higher the number, the better the image quality and more GPU ‘oomph’ required, while lowering it below 1.0 makes the image softer (but also reduces GPU overhead and increases frame rate).
Texture Quality…option ranges from Very Low to Very High. Higher quality requires additional local video memory.
Texture Filtering…option ranges from Very Low to Very High. Internally, this is essentially your Trilinear to Anisotropic filter that goes all the way up to 16X.
Mesh Quality…option ranges between Low to Very High. This option also affects Level-of-Detail (LOD) quality.
Anti-Aliasing…Selectable options include FXAA, TAA, FXAA+TAA, and SMAA.
Motion Blur…ON/OFF toggle
Effects Rendering…Selectable between Low, Medium and High. This controls the intensity and density of certain visual effects.
Depth of Field…ON/OFF toggle
Shadow Quality…option ranges from Very Low to Very High.
Dynamic Shadows…ON/OFF toggle
Shadow Cache…ON/OFF toggle. When set to ON, shadows for static objects will be cached in video memory.
Ambient Occlusion…Selectable options include OFF, SSAO (Variable), SSAO, and HBAO+. Note HBAO+[www.geforce.com] is an Nvidia-specific feature.
Bloom Effect…ON/OFF toggle
Lens Flare…ON/OFF toggle
Volumetric Lighting Quality…Selectable between OFF, Low, and High. This option controls intensity and quality of dynamic lighting including light shafts piercing through window panes and vents.
Reflections…Selectable between ON, OFF, and Variable. Affects fidelity and quality of screen-space reflections.
Subsurface Scattering…ON/OFF toggle
Chromatic Aberration…ON/OFF toggle
Color Space…Selectable between SRGB and BT.709

Gren

Beginning Hour is the demo it debuted with at E3 right :(

Eh, at least I can use it to gauge how well the new RE Engine runs on my PC.

Khezu

Neat.

I have been wanting to see what the hell RE7 was.
Would have tried it on PS4 but it always takes forever to DL anything so I just gave up using it lol.

Want to see how the game runs on my new rig on max settings. Although I'll be getting it on ps4 pro because I'll most likely be able to get it a week or two earlier than the PC release.

Will have to pick it up on PC when it's on a deep sale.

BiggNife

lol, come on, Capcom. I wonder if the demo is ready, did anyone managed to download it?

No one can. Capcom has to flip a switch.

(I am willing to guess that they expected this page to go up tomorrow and have been caught off guard because Capcom)

Lunafreya

The demo being up is on the steam news section as well.

So it being up was planned for this time, hope whatever issue is going it will be fixed soon..

Dusk Golem

No one can. Capcom has to flip a switch.

(I am willing to guess that they expected this page to go up tomorrow and have been caught off guard because Capcom)

Definitely is meant to go up, wbacon posted yesterday the set demo times were at 4 PM PST / 7 PM EST on the 18th in America (and the equivalent timezones in GMT and Japan time).

Just someone needs to flip that switch~

Spinky

The Steam Twitter account also tweeted this was up.

Man, I stayed up until midnight for this even though I'm ill. And I can't even play it.

Profound sadness.

Plum

Glad to hear that it's got a decent PC version. If I don't get a PSVR anytime soon (which is likely) I'll definitely be getting it on PC instead of PS4.

Now let me download it pls.

its coming to switch as well, nice :p

I know you're joking but why?

Dusk Golem

Anyone know if this is a unique experience or a section from the full game?

It's a unique experience. It's also based off of the final update to the demo (which was pretty substantial) which released a couple weeks ago on PS4 (and a week ago on Xbox One). But it's not a section of the whole game, it's own little unique thing.

SomTervo

Vive compatible?!

PSVR exclusive for a year.

I think the better and bigger question is "Vive moddable?"

I'm buying RE7 on PC because I'm confident we'll be seeing mods to 'switch on' VR within days/weeks. I mean, there have been tweaks/mods like that for a few fairly big games which didn't have official VR support at all (and I mean like there was VR code built into the game, just not accessible), let alone for a game which has a ported version which does have VR.

Indeed, I wonder if we'll be able to mod it into the demo!

Dusk Golem

ALSO, for when the demo is up and everybody can play, TWO THINGS I SHALL MENTION:

01.) There's a "bad ending" you're almost 100% going to get your first time playing the demo, highly recommend playing it a second time as once you learn something in your initial playthrough, can use it to reach new areas in the demo (which are worth exploring).

02.) There's a cryptic puzzle in the demo to unlock an item for the main game. Once the demo has been out for a bit, I'll post the instructions of how to get it here.

Mifec

ALSO, for when the demo is up and everybody can play, TWO THINGS I SHALL MENTION:

01.) There's a "bad ending" you're almost 100% going to get your first time playing the demo, highly recommend playing it a second time as once you learn something in your initial playthrough, can use it to reach new areas in the demo (which are worth exploring).

02.) There's a cryptic puzzle in the demo to unlock an item for the main game. Once the demo has been out for a bit, I'll post the instructions of how to get it here.

No I won't because I already looked through all your threads <3

~Kinggi~

Banned

I mean, wasnt there the whole thread with all the instructions?

tesqui

Very curious to see how this will run on my rx480. Capcom have been really good with PC ports in the past. I remember RE5 being a really great port.

Top Bottom