• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Sanjuro

Also, I've noticed some apps have larger black borders than others. Is this just something we need the publisher to update?

I really like these earbuds vs the ones i received with my s7. they fit a lot better and feel snug as a sock. Then i went into the sound settings and did that adaptive sound calibration. enabled that enhanced audio too - wooo this is great.

LOL now im trying to find icon packs within that samsung store and some other themes...

cilonen

Got it. It's stunning. That G-Color screen protector that got a decent review on Amazon is shite though, it only has a tiny band of adhesive round the edge. Not impressed with that!

Sanjuro

In the display settings you can actually set those particular apps to full screen, however not officially supported.

I wonder if it actually breaks the program. I'm playing around with MLB app right now to see if there is any downside.

I really like these earbuds vs the ones i received with my s7. they fit a lot better and feel snug as a sock. Then i went into the sound settings and did that adaptive sound calibration. enabled that enhanced audio too - wooo this is great.

LOL now im trying to find icon packs within that samsung store and some other themes...

I've been using Urmun for a while and pretty happy. Curious if other people find some good alternatives.

Has anyone used the new gear vr yet. I'm having an issue where the controller is constantly drifting. Not just slightly either it's constantly moving to the right. All the reviews I've read actually mention drifting but I assumed slight drift after like 30min of play .

Izuna

Banned
Haha. I know someone earlier mentioned possible iris issue due to their "small Asian eyes".

Late last night and this morning I was hit kind of hard due to some late night activities and my eyes were all red and more than half closed. That has been the only time I've had ANY sort of issue with the scanner.

Dim light - Easy.
Pitch black - No problem.
Tired or weary eyes - Gotta make some adjustments.

rngE0ud.jpg

The finger scanner has been flawless for me still. I've gotten in some sort of rhythm already depending on the situation between pin, iris, fingerprint. This was my biggest concern about upgrading and I can safely say it will be a non issue.

I used the Surface Book's Windows Hello with an eye closed with my kinda Asian eyes, with and without glasses. Perhaps it was just lenient.

This is probably a newb question, but how are you guys running dolphin on the s8? Is there a Android version or something?

EDIT: mine is coming in the mail today. I didn't order a case. Is there a GAF recommended case?

reKon

Banned
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-s8,review-4287.html

Another review claiming improved battery life. I know these tests are perfect, but I think the general conclusion is that battery life will at the very least be the same as the S7 line, which is a great thing. For the S9, I expect that they keep similar device sizes and for further battery improvements and continuing refining (Note 8 would be the first look at these refinements).

BFIB

Few days in, phone is fantastic. Coworker has the S8 plus, it's tempting, but I'm good with my regular S8. Especially when I factor in the screen size vs. my S7 edge.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Considering the S8, but it seems like a case is a must which kinda impacts the look of the device. Anyone get a low profile case.

Amory

Bookoo

Did anyone do the deal with Sams Club?

I was little confused because when I signed up for it just seemed like a placeholder and not a true preorder.

It claimed you also got a GearVR as well, but looking at Samsung website it claims its only valid until April 20th.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have once bought a case for any one of my phones.

Always been okay.

I had really good luck until my last phone. Dropped from waist height on to tile and crack the corner of the screen. Only a few weeks after I got it,.lol. I was so pissed. Usually I'm super careful.

I have this one

https://www.spigen.com/products/galaxy-s8-plus-case-neo-hybrid?variant=30619709633

Infinity display is completely accessible / viewable, and the case adds very little thickness. Really just protects the glossy back from getting all scratched up.

I don't think the phone is any less pretty with it on.

Cool, thanks.

NeOak

Did anyone do the deal with Sams Club?

I was little confused because when I signed up for it just seemed like a placeholder and not a true preorder.

It claimed you also got a GearVR as well, but looking at Samsung website it claims its only valid until April 20th.
You just need a receipt that shows when you preordered. That's what counts.

Sanjuro

I used the Surface Book's Windows Hello with an eye closed with my kinda Asian eyes, with and without glasses. Perhaps it was just lenient.

It's going to be person to person. I also haven't tinkered with rescanning my iris.

Do i need a launcher in order to use that icon pack or will that show available in that samsung wallpaper/theme/icon/lod thingy?

I believe you need a launcher. I've been using Nova so far.

Bookoo

You just need a receipt that shows when you preordered. That's what counts.

Ah, I guess I had to go to the store.

The website just offered like a placeholder thing and told you to go in today to pick it up today to get all the offers like the $150 giftcard etc. Sort of annoying since it made it sound like the GearVR was part of that but I don't see how it would be since my receipt would show today's date.

Amory

So how are people using Bixby? Is it actually useful?

Is it a voice activated assistant like Google Now and Siri? Or am I still supposed to be using Google Now?

Pressing the Bixby button just brings me to that screen that looks like what Google Now used to compile for me

I have once bought a case for any one of my phones.

Always been okay.
Just depends on how careful you are. My s6 survived just fine for 1 year and 10 months. Then on the 10th month I accidentally dropped it while talking to family, it fell square on the edged bezel and it cracked there. It took it 4 months for that crack to slowly spread to the top of the screen but I'm upgrading today so it's not a big deal.

CronoShot

Is it a voice activated assistant like Google Now and Siri? Or am I still supposed to be using Google Now?

Pressing the Bixby button just brings me to that screen that looks like what Google Now used to compile for me
The voice assistant isn't active, and won't be until later this year.

Right now, it's just a poor man's Google Now, with some photo recognition software thrown in.

Thinking of upgrading my s7 edge to the s8+

I have the gear vr headset. Will this still work or do I need a newer version?

Edit: new version of headset.

Paganmoon

anyone use the Samsung Smart Switch app on Windows 10 Mobile? according to the app updates it's got windows 10 support, but I can't seem to even get passed the Terms and conditions popup :(

spekkeh

Banned

Not going to use it. For the past three years I keep going back and forth on whether I'm going to use Google Now. They're just ploys to datamine the living shit out of your private stuff, at no real benefit. Did you know that picture of a banana you just took is actually a picture of a banana? Coolio. Buy bananas at Amazon (why?).

AdanVC

This is the first phone that truly has that futuristic look you see in movies with that bezeless screen. I would have prefered an all flat surface without curved corners though.

s8 teardown from JerryRigEverything
https://youtu.be/GRmY-4HKVIk

Always looking forward to his teardown/test videos when a new mobile device comes out. I particularly like when he throws shade to Apple when it comes to the headphone jack in other smarthphones, lol.

JonnyKong

Can we not go straight into the camera anymore by double pressing the home button?

Edit: it seems you can access the camera from just pressing the home button once and touching the icon on the lock screen

yooo- i must be blind but i dont see an option to change the CLOCK on the lock screen.
I know there is a feature in the Always On Mode, but i need one with the lock screen. Jarring when i swipe and the clock looks different lol ......

Amory

The voice assistant isn't active, and won't be until later this year.

Right now, it's just a poor man's Google Now, with some photo recognition software thrown in.

Weird that they'd ship a flagship phone with a physical dedicated button for a service that's gimped at launch

Not going to use it. For the past three years I keep going back and forth on whether I'm going to use Google Now. They're just ploys to datamine the living shit out of your private stuff, at no real benefit. Did you know that picture of a banana you just took is actually a picture of a banana? Coolio. Buy bananas at Amazon (why?).

True. I like google now because the speech recognition is fantastic and it's a quick way to set an alarm, ask for directions, etc. But the farther Google Now reaches into my personal shit, the more uncomfortable I get.

It was a weird day when I first got my flight itinerary and things to do in Baltimore from Google Now despite never saying anything about it, and realizing it just pulled my flight information from an email from Southwest.

Strakt

If i order on ATT.com, and do in store pick up, can i just go there , pick up phone and swap sim cards? Or do i gotta stay there, wait for them to do everything, set up phone,etc...

Fuck, that's not good.

At this rate I still don't know if Best Buy will have my phone today, but this sounds annoying.

Customer service person got it going. No big deal, but a bigger pain than with my wife's phone. On hers we just turned the old phone off, and the new one on and we were good to go.

Any way, got registered for the VR headset and the $100 option was available. It never asked for any payment info. Says the gift claim is under review and to allow two weeks.

TheGrizz

Which display mode are you all using? I typically switch to basic, however, the basic mode is making my display look a bit...red...Adaptive seems better at this point.

Also, is everyone switching their display to WQHD or leaving on FHD? Will there be a battery hit if i switch to WQHD?

Ultryx

So my Gear VR came with my phone yesterday and I'd like to mess around with that today. Does anyone know the application name I have to download? Is it just Samsung VR?

Can we not go straight into the camera anymore by double pressing the home button?

Edit: it seems you can access the camera from just pressing the home button once and touching the icon on the lock screen

Double push on the power button will launch it. Not sure if I had to enable that in the camera settings or not though.

Mindwipe

So my Gear VR came with my phone yesterday and I'd like to mess around with that today. Does anyone know the application name I have to download? Is it just Samsung VR?

Just plug the phone into the Gear VR and it will start downloading the Oculus app and support apps automatically (and you'll have to take it back out again while it does that but hey ho).

Top Bottom