• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_prOdigy

There's probably not a thread for this, but there's a scan of the teaser for the next Nintendo Power issue making the rounds.

It's naturally probably more interesting than whatever it's teasing, but it's... interesting nonetheless.

Am I the only one that's half expecting IBM East Fishkill plant/32nm? Matches up with the release timeline, limited run devkits now, volume production 2H/12.

Yeah, I've been on that train for a while. Will be disappointed if it ends up at 40nm, though it isn't a huge difference I suppose. Would make sense to be on the same tech as the eDRAM as well.

Discomurf

Wii U related?

I5V1bt

AzaK

Remember that 1.5GB was also back in like June/July. It is very plausible that amount has changed by now.

OK now I'm confused because I thought you said you were spot on with the specs (Apart from GPU and L2 cache) and you said 1.5??

I'm more thinking that it was always 1.5GB and still is, but since it was in the target specs it probably doesn't include the OS reserved RAM, so 2GB total.

I'm thinking that PS4 will have 2GB for games while XB3 has 4GB. Scaling between the three would not be all that hard in this case.

Yeah I could believe that. I always felt from what we heard that it was 2GB, but if the OS has a huge amount as IdeaMan says, then it could be split like that. 1/2 Gig for OS, 1.5 for games.

The two U's form a 0 or zero in that video.

That was pretty terrible (and it doesn't even have that "maaaaaaybe it's real a little" vibe thatlast year's cafe slides had.

Also, they dropped the ball massively with how they handled the logo. Even my hackjob was better!

nu.png

Typically table of contents are ok. I believe that stuff like that teaser is considered acceptable as well.

Yeah, TOCs, covers, ads, and next-issue teases are allowed. Scans of actual articles aren't (unless they're officially released by the publisher, of course).

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
As promised, some new infos concerning the Wii U dev kits & their features

Warning: this data is relevant in a revision 4 dev kit / SDK 2 context.

My sources told me that several features, introduced in the E3 2011 presentation video or expected, were not available to the developers. It was in January/February.

Some of them are linked to the DRC camera, like the facial recognition, or the possibility to take movies with it. These functions are documented and planned, but weren't implemented at the time.

The possibility to track your head/eyes (to change what happens in the game depending on it for example), capture a little footage of you and insert it into a title, taking a video and store it in the system, the video calls option seen at E3 2011. All these (and possibly others) weren’t accessible to third-parties developers until at least February of this year.

This could have changed with later dev kits and SDK (like the 2.03)

What could be speculated from that & other tied infos that i've spread here and there on the speculation threads:

- Nintendo focused until rather lately on the asymmetrical setting of the Wii U, basically the hardware and its capability to render a content on two separate screens, one of them being a controller, leaving other points of the system for after.

- If some games at E3 2012 use these not-activated features, it will be a late implementation:
---- Because of a lack of time, maybe some companies willing to take advantage of those won’t demonstrate titles with an extensive (for the moment) utilization of facial recognition & other things relying on the camera.
---- Or these studios could have planned ahead of their activation and develop with this in mind, and they’ll have to adapt their projects when there are at their disposal (like the DRC not shown to developers until a few days before E3 2011).

- A lot of those features (i won’t reveal them all) are associated with the camera, it could be a sign that the situation about this component wasn’t settled by Nintendo, and they intend to use a sensor not-available at the time (higher resolution than the DS/3DS ones ?), or if they’ve chosen an already existing model, maybe they want to add an outward facing one, etc.

- These are surely linked to the system OS/Background. And crossed with the amount reserved for it that I’ve talked about before, it could hint toward Nintendo still in heavy development & creation of the software layer, the UI, the operating system, of the Wii U. And perhaps it’s only once this layer will be enough advanced in its conception that those features will be available to studios for their games.

- We can wonder if all the features the Wii U is capable of, will be ready at launch, or, like the 3DS video capture, we will have to wait for system updates to use them. It seems Nintendo has quite some time to implement all before the release, but it’s not sure.

Nothing groundbreaking, but I think it wasn’t heard-before, and it could nurture the speculation about the designing process of the Wii U, how some titles could implement or not these anticipated features, what we can expect concerning that come E3, if the Wii U will be complete in this area or not at launch, our wishes in regard to what these functionalities can bring to our games, applications, etc.

My sources told me that several features, introduced in the E3 2011 presentation video or expected, were not available to the developers. It was in January/February.

Some of them are linked to the DRC camera, like the facial recognition, or the possibility to take movies with it. These functions are documented and planned, but weren't implemented at the time.

The possibility to track your head/eyes (to change what happens in the game depending on it for example), capture a little footage of you and insert in on a title, taking a video and store it in the system, the video calls option seen at E3 2011. All these (and possibly others) weren’t accessible to third-parties developers until at least February of this year.

What could be speculated from that & other tied infos spread here and there on the speculation threads:

- Nintendo focused until rather lately on the asymmetrical setting of the Wii U, basically the hardware and its capability to render a content on two separate screens, one of them being a controller.

- If some games at E3 2012 use these not-activated features, it will be a late implementation:
---- Because of a lack of time, maybe some companies willing to take advantage of those won’t demonstrate titles with an extensive (for the moment) utilization of facial recognition & other things relying on the camera.
---- Or these studios could have planned ahead of their activation and develop with this in mind, and they’ll have to adapt their projects when there are at their disposal (like the DRC not shown to developers until a few days before E3 2011).

- A lot of those features (i won’t reveal them all) are associated with the camera, it could be a sign that the situation about this component wasn’t settled by Nintendo, and they intend to use a sensor not-available at the time (higher resolution than the DS/3DS ones ?), or if they’ve chosen an already existing model, maybe they want to add an outward facing one, etc.

- These are surely linked to the system OS/Background. And crossed with the amount reserved for it that I’ve talked about before, it could hint toward Nintendo still in heavy development & creation of the software layer, the UI, the operating system, of the Wii U. And perhaps it’s only once this layer will be enough advanced in its conception that those features will be available to studios for their games.

- We can wonder if all the features the Wii U is capable of, will be ready at launch, or, like the 3DS video capture, we will have to wait for system updates to use them. It seems Nintendo has quite some time to implement all before the release, but it’s not sure.

Nothing groundbreaking, but I think it wasn’t heard-before, and it could nurture the speculation about the designing process of the Wii U, how some titles could implement or not these anticipated features, what we can expect in regard to that come E3, if the Wii U will be complete in this area or not at launch, our wishes in regard to what these functionalities can bring to our games, applications, etc.

Sounds like typical Nintendo, actually.
Some things won't be really used until later because they focus on specific things first.

Log4Girlz

The possibility to track your head/eyes (to change what happens in the game depending on it for example), capture a little footage of you and insert it into a title, taking a video and store it in the system, the video calls option seen at E3 2011. All these (and possibly others) weren’t accessible to third-parties developers until at least February of this year.

What could be speculated from that & other tied infos that i've spread here and there on the speculation threads:

- Nintendo focused until rather lately on the asymmetrical setting of the Wii U, basically the hardware and its capability to render a content on two separate screens, one of them being a controller.

Nothing groundbreaking, but I think it wasn’t heard-before, and it could nurture the speculation about the designing process of the Wii U, how some titles could implement or not these anticipated features, what we can expect in regard to that come E3, if the Wii U will be complete in this area or not at launch, our wishes in regard to what these functionalities can bring to our games, applications, etc.

So you're saying it can run Crysis?

Almost certainly a 3DS or even DS title, since the issue is shipping a month before E3. But I have no idea what that is... well, it'll be revealed within a week or so, anyway.

That means absolutely nothing. If it is the "June" Issue it will most certainly be their E3 issue. These are always done ahead of E3 because the magazines usually release to store shelves around that time unless magazine content has changed in the last 10 years (its been a while since I have read one)

If it isn't the June issue, than it won't be the E3 issue.

That means absolutely nothing. If it is the "June" Issue it will most certainly be their E3 issue. These are always done ahead of E3 because the magazines usually release to store shelves around that time unless magazine content has changed in the last 10 years (its been a while since I have read one)

The June issue is released in May.
It won't have anything to do with E3.

I would pay ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY for a Threads of Fate sequel. Me and Rue, man, we'll do it together.

ANY AMOUNT

I still need to play the first one, or at least give it more of a chance. I got it off PSN but got really bored with it about 15 minutes in. However, it's an RPG, and 15 minutes probably isn't quite a fair enough amount of time to judge.

I still need to play the first one, or at least give it more of a chance. I got it off PSN but got really bored with it about 15 minutes in. However, it's an RPG, and 15 minutes probably isn't quite a fair enough amount of time to judge.

It picks up pretty quick, as it's a short game (though it's made for 4 playthroughs, technically).

interesting

The June issue is released in May.
It won't have anything to do with E3.

I figured that article was in reference to the following issue... which would be the June issue. My apologies if I was wrong and that was the April Issue...

Nevermind, Scratch my apology... it specifically says that reveal is for the June 2012 issue. So I stand by my argument.

My point is it wouldn't be the first time that a magazine publisher released their E3 info prior to E3. It used to happen all the time. But again, like i said, I haven't read a magazine in probably 10 years, so things could have changed.

I figured that article was in reference to the issue being released in May... which would be the June issue. My apologies if I was wrong and that was the April Issue...

This is from the May issue of the magazine (which released this month).
That is for next month's issue (the June Issue).
There will be nothing on E3 from there, except another tease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom