• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AirMech is coming to Steam + PC beta key giveaway

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
fGG-EY-JppaTPIy-xnF5A4YlTdnXBFa6ETOcBAKUyQvAgsiXCiFV4iwKReZ5knWXyuTS4Zma=s640-h400-e365

AirMech is coming to Steam!

They will be giving away keys on their Google+ and Facebook accounts in the near future for the closed Steam beta, before the beta is released publicly to everyone on Steam at an unknown date.

Quick FAQ about this game, since it appears it does not have much exposure, especially on GAF:

What is AirMech?
Airmech is an free-to-play action-RTS by the developers of Fat Princess where you pilot one of many flying vehicles that can also transform into a ground mech whenever you wish. The game works like a mixture of LoL and an RTS, and is very much inspired by Herzog Zwei. In the primary competitive mode, your teams objective is to destroy the other team's base through use of your creeps, units you choose to produce, and the damage you deal with your AirMech itself. The game also has co-op, survival, and challenge modes, although the game currently lacks friends lists, and your forced to make private rooms if you want to play with friends guaranteed (but will support Steam friends and integration when released on Steam).

There's a lot to the game that I feel is better shown than described, so I suggest watching this tutorial. You can also watch the GiantBomb Quicklook, but it's less informative. The game also has a tutorial that will teach you the basics.

Free-to-play? What's the catch?
Anything that can give you a competitive advantage (new units for your loadout, new AirMechs, new pilots, etc.) can be bought with the in-game currency earned from playing games, Kudos. The only things that can only be bought with real money directly, or through purchases of their premium currency, Diamonds, are cosmetically different models of the AirMechs and XP/Kudos boosts (boosts for your persistent progression, not within matches). Diamonds or real money can also be used to purchase new units for your loadout.

Can I play this game now?
Currently, the game is in alpha and you can play this game in two ways:
  • Google Chrome app client - Runs in your browser and very smoothly, gets updated less often. And by that I mean every weekish instead of multiple times per week. Only real benefit to the Chrome app is an exclusive Chrome logo flying saucer that you can only buy in the Chrome app, but carries over to other clients.
  • PC Client - Only accessible if your account has been granted entry via their forums or the current Alienware Beta key giveaway, of which, there are (as of writing this post) over 8000 keys still remaining. I posted this in the last AirMech thread weeks ago and there were 9000+ available then. The Beta key gets you into the alpha currently, and your account will be auto-accepted into when it goes into Beta, which appears to be simultaneous with the Steam release. Additionally, the beta key also gives you 1000 free Diamonds.

Where do I sign up?
You can sign up through www.carbongames.com or link your Google account when you use the Chrome web app for the first time. And if you like me, once signed up and in-game you can go to the codes sub-menu under settings and input my referral code: 643C-X5CB-4MQD-WTAX . Even they don't know what referrals will net you yet though, but they promise something.

If there are any other questions, or anything I missed, let me know. Here is the official FAQ, which you may also wish to consult.

CarbonJames

Neo Member
Wow, thanks for the detailed post! I'm from Carbon, I originally saw it and was wondering where you pulled that summary from...but then I realized we don't have any text up like that and then it suddenly clicked that you actually wrote all that. :)

Great summary though, we need to be better about sorting out the confusion. Though we started on Chrome, we're going to be on pretty much every platform there is, and all accounts linked together...people get confused.

If anyone has any questions, throw them out here. Happy to clear anything up. I love how the game is turning out, and I think it's a lot of fun for a really wide range of players. Please don't let F2P scare you away...we're a small studio of hardcore gamers, we hate "pay 2 win" and wouldn't want to make that kind of game in the first place.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wow, thanks for the detailed post! I'm from Carbon, I originally saw it and was wondering where you pulled that summary from...but then I realized we don't have any text up like that and then it suddenly clicked that you actually wrote all that. :)

Great summary though, we need to be better about sorting out the confusion. Though we started on Chrome, we're going to be on pretty much every platform there is, and all accounts linked together...people get confused.

If anyone has any questions, throw them out here. Happy to clear anything up. I love how the game is turning out, and I think it's a lot of fun for a really wide range of players. Please don't let F2P scare you away...we're a small studio of hardcore gamers, we hate "pay 2 win" and wouldn't want to make that kind of game in the first place.
I think I may've come off too much like a paid PR guy when I'm not (plz don't ban me Nirolak), so no one is replying in here :(

I would say people should give it a try, especially since there are so many beta keys still there for the PC client. It kinda solves my big problem with LoL while using different strategic elements for gameplay. That big problem being the length of matches. I don't have 40 minutes for LoL matches usually, and matches in AirMech are usually much shorter. Also, the respawn animation is godlike. The two buddies/GAFers I showed the game are LoL-heads and really enjoyed it. I just wanted to get the word out because I'm sure some people on GAF would like it and the last thread seemed to have gone dead. Could always use more people to play with, since it can be hard to get games going at times.

And yeah you guys could probably update the FAQ on your website. Some things I had to Google or search in the forums to find out about accounts, alpha/beta, platforms, etc. An official patch notes page/RSS feed would be cool too, instead of just being in the forums.

Can you at least throw a Steam beta key my way? :D

Me and the wife love airmech, we some times take breaks at work to 2 v2 against the AI. Will there be more variations on 1 vs pc? Some times I like to get a quick game in when bored, and I'm getting tired or replaying the same scenario over and over.

CarbonJames

Neo Member
Will there be more variations on 1 vs pc? Some times I like to get a quick game in when bored, and I'm getting tired or replaying the same scenario over and over.
There's the Survival mode, and we're also looking at introducing some Challenge maps that involve cooperative players.

For the Survival mode, there's a lot that can be done there, we haven't really paid much attention to it so far. There could be some very interesting map layouts and I think it will be a ton of fun as a spin on Tower Defense style games.

CarbonJames

Neo Member
Here you go guys, some AirMech Steam beta keys for you:

WWPCD-G4KG7-BZMAK
MEGBW-VPNA2-A8Q9R
FGLAJ-DBTVG-PMMQP
2HNFY-42BL7-87YRQ
WD0BC-IH2J7-GYJNF
ZQEZH-HJXVI-YMJDJ
NKM7F-BBTNV-4L6QR
J4NH2-0GVGL-HNKEN
JWBVQ-46IPT-RT5P4
8NCIG-54WA2-EQ2IL
M99MJ-REFCT-LF89Q
QKKGQ-KMJ7I-KLA3K
GDNAD-6FFWM-5GPGR
VN6FM-C8370-EKPET

Baha

Here you go guys, some AirMech Steam beta keys for you:

WWPCD-G4KG7-BZMAK
MEGBW-VPNA2-A8Q9R
FGLAJ-DBTVG-PMMQP
2HNFY-42BL7-87YRQ
WD0BC-IH2J7-GYJNF
ZQEZH-HJXVI-YMJDJ
NKM7F-BBTNV-4L6QR
J4NH2-0GVGL-HNKEN
JWBVQ-46IPT-RT5P4
8NCIG-54WA2-EQ2IL
M99MJ-REFCT-LF89Q
QKKGQ-KMJ7I-KLA3K
GDNAD-6FFWM-5GPGR
VN6FM-C8370-EKPET

Thanks, managed to snag one.

Mr. Robot

I tried the Chrome version and the game seemed like fun, i did the tutorials and a quick match, however i haven't had more time to play it, and Diablo III is eating my playtime, but i love RTS games and this seems like it has potential, also i love the look of the game.

Will this also be F2P on steam?

Saw the giant bomb quick look. Looks like a lot of fun. I could see it being good with some friends.

Release can't be anymore specified then "unknown date" though? Couldn't even throw a 'summer' or a 'this year'? Maybe 'soon'?

Also you should put future keys (if we get more) in email tags so lurkers don't snag them ;)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I just grabbed a key from Alienware Arena. You guys should just get one there.

I just grabbed a key from Alienware Arena. You guys should just get one there.

I'm really confused about this. I just went there and got a key that I then redeemed on the carbon site. I don't think it gives you a steam key, just diamonds and a pilot. But it says this:

Try out this new RTS from Carbon Games! The publishers of AirMech have brought a Genesis classic and adapted it to today's PC and console gameplay. With this giveaway you will be awarded with a key to join AirMech's closed beta, an exclusive Alien pilot and 1,000 diamonds to ensure that you are ahead of the game in Alienware Arena style!

And I don't know what this means. If you get a steam key, I don't know where it shows up.

jediyoshi

I'm really confused about this. I just went there and got a key that I then redeemed on the carbon site. I don't think it gives you a steam key, just diamonds and a pilot.

It's a key for the stuff and access to the pc beta client (closed, unlike the chrome version i believe) available through their site.

CarbonJames

Neo Member
Saw the giant bomb quick look. Looks like a lot of fun. I could see it being good with some friends.

Release can't be anymore specified then "unknown date" though? Couldn't even throw a 'summer' or a 'this year'? Maybe 'soon'?

Also you should put future keys (if we get more) in email tags so lurkers don't snag them ;)

We'll probably "release" around PAX Prime (end of August) but there's no wipes or anything, just a continually evolving game.

EVH4R-ZMKGL-TC2ET

Is that what you mean? Sorry I'm kind of a noob at this stuff, but I would like to see the actual registered users get them first of course. (and it would be super cool if people post the ones they used)

CarbonJames

Neo Member
If you want to see what 6 friends playing the game is like and listen to them play, this guy's stream is great, just jump ahead to 52 minutes into it (they're playing some boring Diabro game as a warm up):

http://www.twitch.tv/ramza411/b/319174643

That's what you get in the live game right now. If you like it, great, it's free! Then go over to Alienware Arena, and get the code there for some free premium ingame currency. You guys are helping us out by testing, we really appreciate it.

So that key above didn't seem to be hidden/restricted. How do I make it so just registered users see it?

Sophia

We'll probably "release" around PAX Prime (end of August) but there's no wipes or anything, just a continually evolving game.

Is that what you mean? Sorry I'm kind of a noob at this stuff, but I would like to see the actual registered users get them first of course. (and it would be super cool if people post the ones they used)

Hide the key, like so. That way it can't be seen or used by unregistered members.

[ /EMAIL]

It's a key for the stuff and access to the pc beta client (closed, unlike the chrome version i believe) available through their site.

Kay that makes sense. Didn't know that existed. Can't read apparently.

EVH4R-ZMKGL-TC2ET

Yeah it's right after the = . And then you put like "key here" or whatever after that between the ] and the [ . Then the only way to see it is to quote it, which you have to be a member to do.

CarbonJames

Neo Member
Oh, I see. I just made a little formula in a Google doc to prep the code for me like that, thanks!

AirMech Steam key
AirMech Steam key
AirMech Steam key
AirMech Steam key
AirMech Steam key
AirMech Steam key
AirMech Steam key
AirMech Steam key
AirMech Steam key
AirMech Steam key
AirMech Steam key
AirMech Steam key
AirMech Steam key
AirMech Steam key
AirMech Steam key
AirMech Steam key
AirMech Steam key

VaeVictis

I've just installed the update of AirMech Chrome and the issue of missing pictures in 'My Army' tab or build window (ingame) is still there. Is this a known issue for anyone else?

CarbonJames

Neo Member
I've just installed the update of AirMech Chrome and the issue of missing pictures in 'My Army' tab or build window (ingame) is still there. Is this a known issue for anyone else?

Strange, I thought that was fixed. What version number is it? The Chrome version is not so good about staying up to date. PC/Steam are always up to date though.

Gowans

Love this game, I have the chrome n PC client but look forward to adding it to steam for propers.

Fab fab fab game, the more players the better for the beta, you're in for a treat.

CarbonJames

Neo Member
Out already? Also, bear with us as we work out kinks in the servers, just in case you have any problems. That's what this test is for, and it's a big help so far. :)

AirMech Steam key #1
AirMech Steam key #2
AirMech Steam key #3
AirMech Steam key #4
AirMech Steam key #5
AirMech Steam key #6
AirMech Steam key #7
AirMech Steam key #8
AirMech Steam key #9
AirMech Steam key #10

Hey James. I'm Klaymen from the Carbon forums, though I'm going to be unable to keep up with those forums forever now.

I completely recommend AirMech. Shit's just too good at times, and some matches get very hectic and day-defining, very quickly.

Top Bottom