• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
why can't we let series like Baten and Chrono R.I.P.?
KuGsj.gif

the only reason I want Xenoblade continued is because it was so poorly handled but I don't really want to go back to older series or have them work on stuff like Disaster

Instro

Its alright to be hyped, but not that hyped. <_<

Haha, hey man I'm just trying to build up dat E3 hype.

KuGsj.gif

the only reason I want Xenoblade continued is because it was so poorly handled but I don't really want to go back to older series or have them work on stuff like Disaster

I don't think it was handled poorly, at least in Japan. NoA certainly messed up not being on the ball immediately.

As for letting Baten rest in peace, the art that Honne released and his comments on his project seem to indicate the game is related to that series. It absolutely could end up being a new IP, but a XenoBlade sequel is very unlikely given the timing.

BD1

Banned
I still think this would be totally awesome. I'd love to be able to be playing a single player game on the TV and having a friend's game streamed to the controller. If Nintendo can create a good cross game voice chat solution, we could each be talking about the games we're playing and I could look in on his whenever there was a boss battle or something.

I will be elated if this is possible.

I think we got a glimpse into the future with the added feature in Star Fox64 3D multiplayer. Where SF643D had low resolution windows of your friends in local multiplayer, I think Wii U will utilize the front facing camera/microphone to recreate the personal aspects of playing in the living room across the Nintendo Network. Not just voice chat anymore, but your buddies faces/voices right there with you while you play online.

Anth0ny

I've said it before. Clickable sticks, or really any feature, will only be added if third parties deem it important.
Nintendo doesn't care what forum dwellers have to say.

What third party wouldn't want clickable sticks?

Or are we going to have to wait for Activision to bust their balls into making "Wii U Pad Pro" after 6 months, which includes clickable sticks?

HylianTom

Banned
So.. what do you guys think about pack-in games?

The news of 3DS' sales improving after a price drop and a few Mario titles makes me only more convinced that a 2D Mario title that shows-off the system's unique features could be a huge deal.

Mario would also serve as a bridge of sorts - casuals feel very comfortable around him, Nintendo fans obviously enjoy him, and the Mountain Dew-flavored core gaming crowd that Nintendo is trying to attract aren't as offended by him as they would be with a Wii Sports-like game.

Thinking back to when Nintendo did best, it was often in generations with a Mario pack-in game. The NES with SMB, the SNES with SMW - these served as universal experiences for everyone who owned the systems. If you met someone who owned a SNES, you at the very least had that game in common with them, creating a weird gaming kinship. As far as how important it is, I think the universal experience provided by a pack-in game is woefully under-rated..

The news of 3DS' sales improving after a price drop and a few Mario titles makes me only more convinced that a 2D Mario title that shows-off the system's unique features could be a huge deal.

Mario would also serve as a bridge of sorts - casuals feel very comfortable around him, Nintendo fans obviously enjoy him, and the Mountain Dew-flavored core gaming crowd that Nintendo is trying to attract aren't as offended by him as they would be with a Wii Sports-like game.

Thinking back to when Nintendo did best, it was often in generations with a Mario pack-in game. The NES with SMB, the SNES with SMW - these served as universal experiences for everyone who owned the systems. If you met someone who owned a SNES, you at the very least had that game in common with them, creating a weird gaming kinship. As far as how important it is, I think the universal experience provided by a pack-in game is woefully under-rated..

There will most likely be a Mario game at launch (NSMBMii or whatever comes from that) but it won't be a pack-in because it will sell gangbusters (I would think close to 1:1) on its own. Those older ones being pack-in games fostered a love of Mario and Nintendo no longer has to put a Mario in the box to sell the system, just have one available. I know the NSMBWii bundles sold well but the game did fantastic on its own before that.

As for actual pack-ins, they can't just do Wii Sports U and expect the same results. What they need is software that shows off the capabilities of the system and the new touchscreen controller. It wasn't Wii Sports itself that started the Wii craze, it was how the software illustrated the capabilities of the Wiimote so Nintendo would have to have some software that uses the Upad in new and interesting ways. The Chase Mii and Battle Mii would be good starters plus some other things that could be combined to be some sort of U Play software that would get people interested in trying it out and getting one for their home.

Anth0ny

3rd Party Upads could be interesting. But Nintendo should plan on a deluxe model with better screen and features.

but it is kind of a given like the Motion Plus that the Upad will get an upgrade during the WiiU's life as the tech costs become low enough

MLKty.png

Believe.

Mario Paint U will come packed in with the console. Featuring a bunch of tech demos, like ninja stars, drawing app, music composing app, golf with a Wiimote and the Wii U tablet and more.

New Super Mario Bros Mii will be a separate game at launch.

HylianTom

Banned
Every time I see that mock-up Zelda inventory, I hope for a huge items list in the next Zelda game, just like in A Link to the Past. The Magc Cape, the Canes, etc etc..

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions

If that had a bigger d-pad, an extra z-button and a trackball in place of the c-stick, that would be damn near perfect. It would be even better if the screen just slid out of the controller so that it was merely a shell to hold the screen in. All that would be needed is a port on the bottom of the screen like the Wii remote.

Log4Girlz

Nintendo would never consider clickable sticks...the touch screen already opens up huge possibilities with virtual buttons. I know its not as nice as having something under your thumb.

Cookychan

Banned
I had a (shitty) idea for a shock Earthbound U/3DS teaser today (don't blame me, it was Science, to shock at E3.

"*young-ish boy style distorted voice acting sounds like in torment*
"YOU CANNOT GRASP-
*flash 3 and U cryptically on screen*
*teaser ends*
*press mindfucked and E3 2004 all over again."

This'll never happen.

What third party wouldn't want clickable sticks?
Any third-party who actually plays the games they make and have tried to play them on controllers with clickable sticks. Those things piss me off, I'm always accidentally clicking them when I'm getting more into the gameplay. And they serve no purpose, if you want another button then just add one, or make the shoulders click-in like the Gamecube shoulders. It's not like you can click the stick in and easily move the stick while it was clicked in - if so then at least there would be a good functional reason for the sticks to be buttons, rather than just trying to add more buttons to a controller.

z0m3le

Banned
Hold on there for a moment. I didn't say the GPU won't be based on anything. I said it's possible that it might not be based on VLIW. I also said that I don't see the final GPU having really anything in common with an R700 other than ALU count. Also looking at the GC and 360 GPU, I can't agree with your assessment about the usage of new architecture. I also still believe you are underestimating their capabilities based on that. I'd like to believe they are smart enough to make it work if they choose that direction.

I don't see 40nm being cool enough and I don't see 28nm being stable enough on top of not being main nodes, though I originally felt 28nm would be something they might try for. Considering process history and Nintendo's history in choosing those processes, 32nm is the most likely choice. 45nm and 32nm are main ITRS nodes. We already know the CPU is using 45nm. 32nm would be the most likely choice for their GPU. At the same time 180nm and 90nm are main nodes and were using in GC and Wii respectively.

Also I'm very familiar with that article you linked to and at one point I even had a "Cayman Jr. hypothesis" about the GPU. But seeing how VLIW4 doesn't seem to make the cut for the 7000-series I let it go. And as I said the 360 wasn't VLIW-based so it can't really be compared to any Radeon GPU other than maybe the amount of unified shaders. Here is the article where someone from ATi said Xenos is not VLIW-based. Although the article seemed to make a mistake and said each shader had 4 ALUs when it had 5 per shader making for 240 ALUs.

And considering Nintendo has no history with TSMC and good history with IBM and NEC, one of that latter would be more likely to make the GPU and at 32nm, though they are also supposedly able to make 28nm as well.

Sorry if I misunderstood your assessment of what the GPU will be based on, I do have a feeling that they are using an architecture between the HD6000 and HD7000 series, something like a prototype HD7000, this is how the R500 was created, so history wise, it would make sense.

Also weather it's a main node or not, 28nm makes more sense for an AMD GPU than 32nm, they have been on these odd nodes for their GPUs for the last 3+ years (HD4770 all the way to today) if they were to design a new GPU, I think they would be more comfortable about making a 28nm, HD7000 would agree with me and as long as NEC can produce a 28nm part, then I see no problem with them making it, TSMC has made all of AMD's parts since 40nm so I just figured it would be them.

Of course, if the CPU's process is as outdated as a 45nm (at least a year behind AMD and more so with Intel, when it launches) then we might have a 40nm on our hands, if that is the case, I think it would have to be an 800+ ALU part, since it will need to be throttled down around 700mhz... maybe 800mhz... but then either way, reports put it above 1Tflops, so I'm not worried what we have in node size.

I concede, you might very well be right about Nintendo not using an HD7000 or 6000 part, but I would guess that it was some sort of design between it that is highly customized... the time they were planning GCN would of been around 3 years ago right? this was when rumors of a HD Wii started to pop up, we know that Nintendo likes to work on stuff for years when it comes to hardware, and they do have the old artX AMD employees, so it could mean something like this, though it's only a theory, I just don't see AMD making anything from the ground up like I thought you were suggesting. The Gamecube was a very very odd time in the GPU industry, where Nintendo basically HAD to create it's own GPU.

Hiltz

Back in July 2011, Aonuma said that he had been involved in Wii U's development for about 2 years since "the stage where we started to bring things all together and decide what to make of this new system." He adds that it was around the time of when he started to involved in the meetings and most of his efforts were primarily focused on the creation of the Zelda HD tech demo.

Vigil Games had pointed out some hints on the state of Wii U dev kits:

- One of the first third-parties to receive dev kits. Nintendo said itself that it decided to give dev kits out earlier than usual to select third-parties.

- They got Dark Siders 2 up and running on Wii U hardware in about 5 weeks. Reported a few days after after E3 2011 in June. By then, the game was said to be fully running on the hardware.

- Prior to E3, the design of the dev kit's controller was that of a giant and clunky GameBoy. At the time oft E3, the controller design was not the same one they were in possession of.

- The developer received 2nd generation dev kit back in July, a month later.

- Last month, Nintendo apparently reported that some third-parties were in possession of final dev kits. It also revealed that Wii U has NFC technology and some info on the Nintendo Network.Tecmo said that the state of the hardware was still constantly changing. Capcom said that the info they know about the Wii U they were made aware of recently (and perhaps in the current dev kits they have) was not representative in the E3 form of the console.

It makes me wonder when Nintendo's external first-party developers received dev kits. Maybe it was as in October 2010. Monolith Soft and Retro were naturally in a good position to immediately work on new projects for the console given that they're last titles came out in June and November 2010. After that, Retro had limited involvement in Mario Kart 7's development while Monolith contributed something to Skyward Sword.

z0m3le

Banned
Anyone think they will release a 3DSxl that doubles as a Upad? the top screen could be nearly the same size, though I have never used a DSiXL, so I don't know if it would really be all that comfortable... Still, we all know a 3DS revamp will come in the next ~18 months hopefully they add a second slide pad, and that rubber edge that they have on the classic controller's analog stick would be nice.

Jackano

Anyone think they will release a 3DSxl that doubles as a Upad? the top screen could be nearly the same size, though I have never used a DSiXL, so I don't know if it would really be all that comfortable... Still, we all know a 3DS revamp will come in the next ~18 months hopefully they add a second slide pad, and that rubber edge that they have on the classic controller's analog stick would be nice.

No but Miyamoto said in an interview (the same when he didn't say he retires) the Wii U configuration can emulate the DS setup. He was kind of joking and didn't say it will happen, but I think sooner or later, DS virtual console can be a reality.

that would be dreamy... only SONY can do magic hardware like this :|

z0m3le

Banned
No but Miyamoto said in an interview (the same when he didn't say he retires) the Wii U configuration can emulate the DS setup. He was kind of joking and didn't say it will happen, but I think sooner or later, DS virtual console can be a reality.

Well, the Upad basically turns your TV into a DS, it has all the features including a stylus (which to be perfectly honest is a HUGE giveaway that it will support DS through VC)

I wouldn't be surprised if 3DS would allow you to multiplay games through the Wii U, through some sort of cart sharing with the Wii U...

basically the only things 3DS does that Wii U cannot do, is A: 3D, and B: go mobile (unless you had some sort of giant battery pack strapped to your back)

MDX

Back in July 2011, Aonuma said that he had been involved in Wii U's development for about 2 years since "the stage where we started to bring things all together and decide what to make of this new system." He adds that it was around the time of when he started to involved in the meetings and most of his efforts were primarily focused on the creation of the Zelda HD tech demo.

Vigil Games had pointed out some hints on the state of Wii U dev kits:

- One of the first third-parties to receive dev kits. Nintendo said itself that it decided to give dev kits out earlier than usual to select third-parties.

I wonder if Nintendo will tap Vigil to make a dark version of Zelda. Or have them make some other kind of exclusive series.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well, they don't have to call it BK3 (and likely won't).
And new console means a new userbase to sell a series to, so making it successful it just a matter of marketing.

The great thing is that BK3 will probably be even better than 2 and won't get released in America hahahaha

I'm still angry at the fact that Origins wasn't released in PAL-Land, especially since it's supposedly a MUCH better game, and I actually enjoyed the first

Arkam

But Arkham told me it would be less powerful!

And I am going to stand by that until we get a new kit that proves otherwise.

It will have some factors that are superior like Memory amount(though bus speeds are slow) but other things (GPU) are slightly less than what we have come to expect from the current gen systems. I am sure if a game a is built from the ground up on the console it will look nice, but porting anything from the HD twins over will take a hit.

Looking at what they are bringing to the table, Nintendo is more concerned about price than power. It is almost like they are competing with the Xbox 360/Ps3 and ignoring what ever the xbox3/ps4 turn out to be. Of course that is just my opinion.

Maxrunner

It will have some factors that are superior like Memory amount(though bus speeds are slow) but other things (GPU) are slightly less than what we have come to expect from the current gen systems. I am sure if a game a is built from the ground up on the console it will look nice, but porting anything from the HD twins over will take a hit.

Looking at what they are bringing to the table, Nintendo is more concerned about price than power. It is almost like they are competing with the Xbox 360/Ps3 and ignoring what ever the xbox3/ps4 turn out to be. Of course that is just my opinion.

lol

I still don't get why we should even trust/believe you, when numerous sources have said its stronger. and then there's you..

Jezan

KuGsj.gif

Why would you want Baten to go? :/

Chrono I can understand, but not Baten Kaitos. But, still we want Chrono and Baten 3

Roo

I wouldn't be surprised.
They might see Darksiders encroaching in on Zelda.
And doesn't THQ own them?
How are they doing financially?

Pretty bad.
If the rumors are true they're about to close the Japan division
and reduce the AU team to 14 people.

darthdago

Hi everyone,
I wasn't here for the last 9 days...
Is there anything new about the Wii U?
New hardware details e.g.?
New info leaked from Ubi e.g.?
Would be very nice if someone could give me an update.

@ arkam

why do you still say that the Wii U will be weak?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Anything?

You know what bothers me the most in your posts - they don't sound like something a coder would post. A programmer who tries to make a strong point, even as sporadicly as yourself, would've hinted at precisely what aspects of the devkit bother him the most. Buses too slow? That's just not serious - game consoles (and embedded designs in general) are the prime example of where buses tend to meet the needs of their uses - if a bus is slow that is because whatever sits at the ends of the bus can provide only this much (or you're using the bus wrongly). GPU slightly less than 'what we've come to expect from current gen systems'? Which one of the two current gen GPUs? RSX and Xenos differ in quite a few aspects. Are you trying to tell me WiiU GPU underperforms compared to the least common denominator across RSX and Xenos characteristics? You know, your posts just don't make for a coherent argument. And yet, here you are, expecting to be believed (why else would you bother to post?). I'm sorry but can't you do better?

Dude, just stop what you're doing. Do you want to repeat what happen last time? Hey mods, get those details from him :)

Edit: blu, dont forget he called himself a dedicated Nintendo fanboy!

lednerg

Pre-final development hardware is always less powerful than what ends up in the final kits. You should already know that, being a 'game devloper' and all. Why don't you verify that you work in the industry by PMing one of the mods? They've done it before with other users. Otherwise we have to assume you are a simple troll.

EDIT: Crap, beaten to the punch. Gotta press refresh more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom