• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Kyoufu said:
Nah, the problem is why would I go for an MH I can already and probably have played on 2 other systems or a game with new content on 3DS (which as you say is cheaper than Vita).

Sony must not be very happy.
Vita version won't have new content?

teiresias said:
Ummm, ban them for a rumor they reported that has been confirmed by Famitsu? What?
He's just making fun of all the people who say this about 01net because they don't like their rumors, even though a good amount turn out to be true.

Amir0x

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Nah, the problem is why would I go for an MH I can already and probably have played on 2 other systems or a game with new content on 3DS (which as you say is cheaper than Vita).

Almost certainly Monster Hunter 3rd HD will have new content. But it's also on a system with two analog sticks to begin with.

The situation is no different at all, except in the fevered imaginations of those who want to see megatons where there are none.

When either system gets the next original entry of Monster Hunter, then it will be worthy of critique. Right now, it's Capcom hedging its bets on both platforms with pretty incidental and cheap entries.

TruePrime said:
I really don't agree that Portable 3rdHD will make as big a splash as a Portable Tri G even if the prices were inline between 3DS and Vita.

Yeah, don't even in japan already own portable 3rd? Has any new content been confirmed for that rerelease?

Kerrby

Banned
the androgyne said:
13yqivc.jpg

Nooo! That looks unbelievable uncomfortable.

Also I think GAF is crashing.

ITT: Overreactions.

Dynamite Shikoku said:
Who cares if they bring out a redesigned model. Doesn't Apple do that with iphones every year?

EF NENTINDO REDISINZES, I"M DUN WIT DEM FOREVAR.

If I had been in the early adopter's shoes, I would just sell the original and get a redesign. It's really not too big of a deal. I agree that this whole thing should have been avoided in the first place, but it's not the end of the world.

Ocaso

nckillthegrimace said:
Capacitive touchscreens are gross. I hate how they feel on my fingers.

You hate how a piece of glass feels on your fingers?

Regardless, it's more responsive than resistive, and Nintendo is already programming games assuming you'll be using your fingers rather than the stylus. It's a logical upgrade, really, unlike this insane cradle-button-analog-stick abomination.

Rikkun

qq more said:
....Not gonna happen.

Well I see this as the only way to save their face.

I wouldn't care buying a 3DS Lite if it has HUGE improvements, but the price drop already pissed A LOT of people.

Also, this could be only a move to have monhun, but when the peripheral is out you can't say to all developers "don't use it". And I bet a lot of developers would love to make easy money with PS2, Wii and Vita crappy ports. An additional analog stick and another button would make all this really easier.

Kyoufu said:

Why would they rebuy it on the PS3 at all in that case? Hundreds of thousands of people did that anyway, you're crazy if you think the Vita release won't sell bucketloads.

teiresias

Yeah, at this point I don't see why one would assume a port of Tri would have new content and a port of 3rd wouldn't.

All of this BS serves Nintendo right, anyway, for releasing a handheld that relied on a stupid gimmick rather than bringing anything new - control wise - to the table.

KingDizzi

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Yeah, Sony is absolutely fucked by a holiday release of an MH with new content on the 3DS.

Could not care less about Sony but with all this add on talk I'm pissed the G version is out on the 3DS, fucking pissed as a fan of MH even more right now compared to before. :(

StuBurns

Banned
airmangataosenai said:
Why would they rebuy it on the PS3 at all in that case? Hundreds of thousands of people did that anyway, you're crazy if you think the Vita release won't sell bucketloads.
Exactly. And it's a tide over title while waiting for MHP4th really.

Kyon

Banned
do people forget Portable 3rd is not a direct port of Tri? it just has the areas without water a whole new village, revamped move sets and some new monsters and all the weapons are in unlike Tri, its not really the same game. I predict the 3DS version will be based on Tri. hopefully 3DS is strong enough to have water levels that way its a actual Tri portable game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
TheCongressman1 said:
ITT: Overreactions.

EF NENTINDO REDISINZES, I"M DUN WIT DEM FOREVAR.
You really can't see how people who paid 250, the majority of the current owners essentially, would be miffed by this turn of events, as they need an add-on to make their system complete (because at the very least it will catch on with monster hunter, and all its clones, and more types of games will follow suit since that's popular enough and it's extremely early)? And that people who haven't got one (me) lose faith in the company's direction? Really?

Things might turn out ok, but right now they don't look ok to me, as great news as a MH on 3DS is for the platform.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Yeah, Sony is absolutely fucked by a holiday release of an MH with new content on the 3DS.

I don't think there's going to be much drive from the close to 5 million PSP players to buy the 3DS version given it's a G revision.

They'll wait - the differences historically haven't been that great. Perhaps if it's a Unite style content blitz but even then i don't see people abandoning hundreds of hours for a G thang

Nicktals

Banned
lowrider007 said:
If they bring out a new system with an extra slid pad I'm out, this peripheral just seems plain stupid, you fragmenting the audience, just doesn't make sense.

How does a peripheral segment an audience? Does my Drum Kit for Rockband mean I'm not going to buy Mario Galaxy 2? Think of it less as a new peripheral, and more of a game add-on.

To emphasize this point, let's look at past 'peripherals': Rumble Pak, Expansion Pak, Wii Speak, Wii Motion Plus (?), and I'm sure there are many others. Most of these were used for only a few games. They were sometimes used well, sometimes not, but they tend more to be expansions for a game than expansions for the system.

Alextended said:
You really can't see how people who paid 250, the majority of the current owners essentially, would be miffed by this turn of events? And that people who haven't got one (me) lose faith in the company's direction? Really?

Seriously, and for such an unessential addition. Who is asking for this? The 10% of lefties that want to play Kid Icarus?

theBishop

Banned
StuBurns said:
Exactly. And it's a tide over title while waiting for MHP4thG really.

I'm waiting for that to jump into the franchise. If it's on vita and on par with the top games shown so far, with good online integration.

antonz

DCharlie said:
I don't think there's going to be much drive from the close to 5 million PSP players to buy the 3DS version given it's a G revision.

They'll wait - the differences historically haven't been that great. Perhaps if it's a Unite style content blitz but even then i don't see people abandoning hundreds of hours for a G thang
Tri G would be new content versus a port of a port. It would be disasterous for Vita.;

And I thinkpeople who automatically assume Vita is gonna get some awesome new entry and a port of a port is just a tide me over are being silly.

Alextended said:
You really can't see how people who paid 250, the majority of the current owners essentially, would be miffed by this turn of events? And that people who haven't got one (me) lose faith in the company's direction? Really?

Might just be me, but for better or worse, my interest in my 3ds skyrocketed tonight.

Nintendo does whatever the fuck they want. It could hit, it could miss.

But w/e. I'll pay $20 for another stick, r2, battery. Might as well throw in the vitality sensor as well.

Tyeforce

Willy105 said:
They all still use touch screens.
StuBurns said:
With an additional stick? No, they don't.
But they've all added things that are pretty much the same as a second Circle Pad on the 3DS would be. By that I mean that there's new hardware that new games/apps can and will take advantage of, which is great...unless you have an older model, then you're pretty much screwed. Want to use 3G and GPS? Better have an iPhone 3G, then! Want to take record video? Too bad, you need an iPhone 3GS! Want an inward facing camera, FaceTime, and Retina Display? Not gonna happen without an iPhone 4! Oh, and if you don't have the latest iPhone, you won't be able to use certain features in many apps, and some apps you won't be able to use altogether!

At least in the 3DS's case, if this is even true, all you need is a cheap add-on, not a whole new system.

Rikkun

Also, I don't really see a place where another analog can be placed.

The upper screen should stay at the center of your hands to guarantee the best 3D effect. And you have to be able to easily reach ABXY.

Then there's the wireless slider, the power button, and remember the d-pad is atrocious to use, my left hand hurt after 10 minutes (and I don't have big hands or long fingers..)

I don't really see a way out if not through a complete redesign.

Kyoufu

KingDizzi said:
Could not care less about Sony but with all this add on talk I'm pissed the G version is out on the 3DS, fucking pissed as a fan of MH even more right now compared to before. :(

I love Tri, and I'm happy to see it updated.

I just hope Capcom moves out of PS2 hardware for MH and gives us something that only Vita/PS3/Wii U hardware can do.

As much as I love Nintendo, they need to start getting it right the first time... The N64 RAM expansion, NGC modem iirc, Wii Motion Plus, and now this. It doesn't take too many braincells to realize that a handheld in 2010 would benefit from dual analog, just like the Wiimote would have benefited from more or less 1:1 Day 1. :\

Rikkun said:
Also, I don't really see a place where another analog can be placed.

The upper screen should stay at the center of your hands to guarantee the best 3D effect. And you have to be able to easily reach ABXY.

Then there's the wireless slider, the power button, and remember the d-pad is atrocious to use, my left hand hurt after 10 minutes (and I don't have big hands or long fingers..)

I don't really see a way out if not through a complete redesign.

Just hold your 3ds upside down. Should be a good idea where the stick should go.

Seems to be fine for me

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Tri G would be new content versus a port of a port. It would be disasterous for Vita

the list of new content isn't going to be big enough to pull the people over - it's not happening unless the level of content added is WAY above MH3 (and Capcom don't blow the whole thing at TGS by hinting that either 3rdG is coming soon or 4th is on the way)

G hasn't hitorically added vast new content - Unite did by pulling everything together into one neat package so it'd be nice for it to do that but we'll have to see. IF it's 90% the same i don't see people buying a new machine (i expect the revision to be shown next week) to retread most of what they've played.

I don't think it'll be disasterous for Vita - i'll go one further : Nintendo will announce the 3DSi next week, and the price will be 19800 - further helping the Vita.

And I thinkpeople who automatically assume Vita is gonna get some awesome new entry and a port of a port is just a tide me over are being silly.

i don't expect Vita to get the next monster hunter - i expect the PSP to get it, with a HD PSV and PS3 port. The point is when you have close to 5m people invested in a certain platform that isn't quite dead in Japan and you can create an easy upport for TWO other machines then that's the way i see them going until Vita (or 3DS) establish a userbase.

StuBurns

Banned
Tyeforce said:
But they've all added things that are pretty much the same as a second Circle Pad on the 3DS would be. By that I mean that there's new hardware that new games/apps can and will take advantage of...unless you have an older model, then you're pretty much screwed. Want to use 3G and GPS? Better have an iPhone 3G, then! Want to take record video? Too bad, you need an iPhone 3GS! Want an inward facing camera, FaceTime, and Retina Display? Not gonna happen without an iPhone 4! Oh, and if you don't have the latest iPhone, you won't be able to use certain features in many apps, and some apps you won't be able to use altogether!

At least in the 3DS's case, if this is even true, all you need is a cheap add-on, not a whole new system.
The difference is, no one expect the poor would keep an iPhone for years like a 3DS. You have them on contracts and replace them when the contract is done, every year, every other year, something like that. It's also not primarily a game machine, it's a phone. A year one iPhone is still an excellent phone.

The comparison with the iPhone is moronic, it's a phone.

I'm going to play some 3DS, if I don't I'm going to pack it up and trade it in, I can feel it.

Top Bottom