• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arc the Lad II and Arc Arena on PSN 11.23.2010, $5.99 / $8.99 bundle

vireland

Press release is forthcoming, but I wanted to get an official thread up to let you know that Arc II and Arc Arena will be released on PSN next week. We had them put up as $5.99 for just Arc II, or $8.99 for Arc II + Arc Arena bundle, so you have a choice if monster tournaments aren't your thing.

elcwantedposter.jpg

Arc II features well over 50 hours of gameplay if you do all the quests and sidequests. If you import your save from Arc I with the 50 level dungeon completed and the special summon you get for doing that, there's a significant and compelling part of Arc II that opens up that is otherwise completely inaccessible.

Arc Arena lets you take the monsters you've captured in Arc II and set them up in tournament-style fights for prizes.

arcandelc.jpg

Win a Free Download Code for Arc II and Arc Arena

This is a GREAT game, definitely one of the best on the Playstation. There are a number here who have played it, and a bunch who have not. I have download codes to give away, and I thought it would be cool to hear about your favorite moments from the game you're looking forward to re-visiting (if you've played it when it was originally released) or what interests you most about it (if you haven't played it yet). Just post your thoughts and memories here, and EVERY DAY between now and the 23rd, I'll pick the one I find most compelling and send the winner a code for a free download of Arc II AND Arc Arena.

Once the daily code winners are all chosen, one winner chosen from amongst those at random will be awarded one of the super-rare Choko pocket watches.

WINNERS - An Arc II and an Arc Arena PSN download code
-----------------------
11/17 Absoludacrous - Heh, Mortimer.
11/18 GrumpyAlien
11/19 RPGCrazied
11/20 Mikhal - don't delete your save this time!
11/21 Djtiesto - nice event shoutout
11/22 PetriP-TNT - oldish is no excuse
11/23 Hero - yes, the first one is pretty essential. Now you can afford it.

Codes for the winners will be sent via PM the evening before 11/23 PSN release and can be used as soon as the games are posted on PSN. All non-winning posts remain in contention for a win between now and the 23rd. There's some great posts here, keep them up!

Aru

Princess Skittles said:
For PSP, each game has its own individual memory card file.

How would the save file cross-over work on the PSP version?

Oh yeah, never had that issue before since I have a PS3 too, but it must be pretty annoying if there isn't a single way to transfer the save on the PSP.

shwimpy

Day one on Arc The Lad 2.

Too MANY GAMES IN NOVEMEBER! Where were these games when the PS3 was in a rut during the summer? :lol

Erasus

They seem pretty interesting. SRPG games can be fun, plus I have honestly never heard of them sorry:lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wow, sweet.

As for Arc memories, I don't have any of me playing the game (until recently). I remember reading Gamefan Magazine staring at the colors and images of Arc 1. It was up a huge tree and it looked so cool to me at the time. Vivid color. Sadly, by the time the WD release came out, I no longer had a PS1. =( But now I get to play these! Woo!

vireland

Princess Skittles said:
For PSP, each game has its own individual memory card file.

How would the save file cross-over work on the PSP version?

Not sure about the way it would work on the PSP, I'll check it out and get back to you.

vireland

AranhaHunter said:
Is Arc II good?

The series as a whole is generally rated 8/10, but Arc II is the best of the three, so it probably gets a bump to 9/10. There's a crazy amount of innovation in the RPG genre that happened in that game. Really excellent stuff.

Ledsen

Nice one Vic! This is most definitely a great game, maybe not up there with the Lunar series in terms of Working Designs classics, but still very, very good. I don't know what you were thinking with those cardboard standees though ;) It's really long (50 hours) but manages to maintain an interesting and quite serious story throughout. An overlooked gem without a doubt. I'd recommend it to everyone, I payed more than 10 times that price for the trilogy and didn't regret it in the least. Just buy it folks!

vireland

Ledsen said:
I don't what you were thinking with those cardboard standees though ;)

My goal with the WD deluxe packages was always to push beyond the edge of the envelope. I always wanted to give fans something they hadn't seen before. I made an exception with the standees because they got a decent reception with LUNAR 2, revisited them with Arc. All the pack-ins over the years weren't completely fantastic, but they were definitely all interesting and not some crappy cookie-cutter promotional item.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the controller condoms instead. THOSE were "out there"...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm mostly interested in how the story continues for the party by carrying my save over from Arc 1. Honestly, that feature blew my mind when I read about it on Gameshark.com back in the day.

Ledsen

vireland said:
My goal with the WD deluxe packages was always to push beyond the edge of the envelope. I always wanted to give fans something they hadn't seen before. I made an exception with the standees because they got a decent reception with LUNAR 2, revisited them with Arc. All the pack-ins over the years weren't completely fantastic, but they were definitely all interesting and not some crappy cookie-cutter promotional item.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the controller condoms instead. THOSE were "out there"...

:lol I'd forgotten about those. The top freebie has to be Lucia's Pendant though, I wore that sumbitch in school and got compliments on it! :lol

Ledsen said:
:lol I'd forgotten about those. The top freebie has to be Lucia's Pendant though, I wore that sumbitch in school and got compliments on it! :lol
Wow. A few times, I was about to wear it for the lols, but it was just too embarrassing.

vireland said:
Press release is forthcoming, but I wanted to get an official thread up to let you know that Arc II and Arc Arena will be released on PSN next week. [/IMG]

I wonder if we can take this to mean arc the lad PSN sold well enough to merit continue releasing of games on psn,

or perhapses(likely) just that it was always the intention to release all 3 no matter how each individual one did.

noquarter

Ledsen said:

No, top freebie is that Ghaleon Punching Doll. Couldn't believe everything I got with Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, what a great buy.

Missed these when they were released in the US, so really looking forward to playing a good, old school RPG. Can't wait til next week.

I'll take a stab at my favorite memories, this is one of my favorite games of all time.

My favorite is probably the moment when
you finally hook up with Arc after all the back and forth. When I first started the game I was kinda bummed the main character had changed, but by then I loved Elc just as much, so having everyone together finally was fantastic

Walking through the treasure room in the desert grabbing all my old Arc 1 stuff was pretty great.

Though my actual favorite is probably
finding out what happened to Mortimer and Randolf after Coming to America

vireland

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
I wonder if we can take this to mean arc the lad PSN sold well enough to merit continue releasing of games on psn,

or perhapses(likely) just that it was always the intention to release all 3 no matter how each individual one did.

I mentioned this in the Arc/Alundra thread today. The first two sold well enough to continue doing ones that are already localized or require no localization, but the sales definitely aren't close to robust enough to encourage us to go back and pick up unlocalized gems (I have a list!) from the original Playstation and do them up. I'm not saying we won't GET to that level of sales, just that we're not there yet. So we're pushing promotion in other ways to try to get the word out and drum up support so we can do this "next step".

Ledsen

zerokoolpsx said:
Wow. A few times, I was about to wear it for the lols, but it was just too embarrassing.

Yeah I have no idea what I was thinking, didn't tell anyone where I got it though :D

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
NeoNess said:
I'm curious to see this 'list' :)
Who wouldn't?!

Maybe they could try some small scale games first?

Maybe.. Zanac X Zanac? All that needs "localized" for that is the game's achievement list and (warning: a huge assumption is approaching fast) it would probably be easy/cheap to deal with D4 as far as licensing/publishing goes.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Alright, fave moments from Arc 2:

-Terrorist attack on the "Statue of Liberty" esque object
-The whole plot arc (no pun intended) with Gallarno and the testing facility; getting to the
children testing facility and having to fight Mirielle your childhood friend
-Getting reacquainted with all of the party members from the first game
-The shootout in the Wild West
-The feeling of satisfaction when I finally beat that annoying-as-hell end boss after 3 straight hours

Decado

All these PSX to PSN games are just direct ports, right (in other words, they'll look pixilated as all hell on an HDTV)?

gaohx

My fav memory from Arc II has to be the Airport hijack scene near the start of the game....I mean, c'mon, what a great way to start out a game for its first action sequence. Fond memories when that familiar, rockin' battle music kicks in too! Made me go out and find the OST to purchase as well.

I remember that scene so vividly to this day....so broading, so atmospheric...definitely one of my fav original Playstation games of all time!

I always wanted one of those Arc promo watches......

vireland

Decado said:
All these PSX to PSN games are just direct ports, right (in other words, they'll look pixilated as all hell on an HDTV)?

Mmmm, I dunno about "pixilated as all hell". The 2D games like Arc II seem to hold up better than the 3D PS1 games. It looks decent, but it isn't high-res.

.la1n

vireland said:
I mentioned this in the Arc/Alundra thread today. The first two sold well enough to continue doing ones that are already localized or require no localization, but the sales definitely aren't close to robust enough to encourage us to go back and pick up unlocalized gems (I have a list!) from the original Playstation and do them up. I'm not saying we won't GET to that level of sales, just that we're not there yet. So we're pushing promotion in other ways to try to get the word out and drum up support so we can do this "next step".

I still owe you guys an Alundra/Arc purchase as soon as I get paid next week. Also this will also be bought, bundle price is a great steal since I don't own any of my original psx games anymore. Thanks again.

bubnbob

Banned
I used to own Arc the Lad Collection, but due to funds I had to part it off before I ever got to play it (yes I was one of those guys). But since this is actually coming to the PSN service, this has been one of my most wanted titles to play, especially due to the pretty beefy price it costs online for a copy these days. By the time I finish it hopefully Arc 3 jumps the gap to PSN. :D

graywolf323

Gold Member
I'm ashamed to say that the Arc the Lad Collection was one of the few Working Design games I didn't pick up so after getting the first one when it went up on PSN I'm greatly looking forward to continuing the series with Arc the Lad II :D

AranhaHunter said:
Is Arc II good?

One of the best SRPG or RPGs I have ever played. It reminds me quite a bit of shining force 1-3. The storyline is very entertaining and moving (but play Arc 1 first tho).

One of the best things about are the optional missions you can take from the guild, along with marks kinda like FF XII. There is also an incredibly large world to explore, along with tons of optional content to find. Great music, awesome 2D graphics, and a fun and addictive battle system that isn't overly complicated. For $5.99 this is one of the best values on PSN.

Best of all it has a lot of scenes and events that really stick with you.

Edit: Concerning some of my favorite memories in the game...spoilers for AL2...

The very beginning with the whole genocide in Elks village really set the tone of the game, and that this wasn't going to be pleasant. I first played it when it came out in Japanese, and although I didn't understand the language the majority of the scenes in the game came across visually to me just fine.

So many memorable scenes. Tosh's father being brought back to life. Arcs father finally showing up, and his death. Finally seeing the true forms of the generals, and hearing the awesome boss theme. And for some reason one that I really liked was when you finally go to the city where all the problems are coming from (Romalia?) there is pretty much nobody there but a bunch of monsters. The badass music that plays as you march through that city makes you really feel like you are finally going to save the world.

I know I am forgetting a lot of them, but its probably better that way if I am going to play it next week.

DiscoJer

Hmmmm, favorite moments:

I remember seeing the Arc the Lad collection in CompUSA. I thought about buying it, but didn't. Then sort of regretted it.

I've got the Arc Collection, and the hardback guide, but never played it, and at this point don't have a console to play it on. It's one of the games I kept though, along with Alundra, Grandia, that I rebought on PSN. Fully intend to rebuy this, too!

I'm not sure what interests me most, probably something geeky like the general gameplay. I played Arc: Twilight of the Spirits and it was the first game I played with strategy-like battles and actual proper out of battle RPG gameplay, and I loved it for it. Prior to that in tactical RPGs, I was used to just selecting a point on a map and going battle battle battle sleep. It sounds like the former is the kind of gameplay I'm gonna find in Arc II so I'm ready to absolutely adore it.

I can't say I'm interested by the story, avoiding any mention of it until Arc is completed!

hank_tree

I never played any of the Arc the Lad games before but picked it up on PSN and I'm really enjoying it. Will definitely be picking up both of these next week.

kevm3

I've always wanted to play these games and I was shocked when all three would be coming over via WD. I actually enjoyed Arc the Lad 1 a good deal. Same with part 2. Got far in that one, but never beat it.

Arc The Lad is one of those series that I read on magazines "import" section but never have played... I actually haven't seen any in person either. Rather weird considering how long I have known the series!

Really tempted to try this out after more than a decade... wow has it really been so long? I feel old(ish)

I was holding off on getting AtL1 until the sequel was confirmed to come, so now I'll be grabbing both. I'm double dipping since I bought the collection back in the day, but having portable copies is nice.

Anything else lined up for PSN Vic?, or are you guys waiting to see how these do?

There are a few games I'd love to see make it onto PSN, and you guys seem like my best chance. Wild Arms 2 for the UK store for one. We didn't get that. Could just bring over the US version with a bit of a tweak.

Top Bottom