• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| The truth about 8.

What's your setup like? I remember spamming the Unity Magic Shell and Fast Code a lot and overwhelming them with with the rush attacks from the warrior class.

I was also amazed how effective it was when I started using it. It's essential in the post game along with range break.

Anyway, screw Level Drain. I fucking hate it when games use this bullshit and it's irreversible. At least I reloaded a save and bought several of the decoy things.

Now to finish the post game and then grind and save scum for the Muramasa... The thing I hated most in Demon Gaze. Oh the joy.

cj_iwakura

How can I get more recovery items? The shop is out and I don't have the recipe.

This Prince Party boss gauntlet is ridiculous.
Oh, this is post game. Good to know!

Yeah, I was really pissed at that part, but I decided to focus on the other things for a bit and gain a level or two, then come back. Range Break is a must in those fights.

Also, screw the farting TPF member. I still don't understand how that affects Unity. What, a bit of farting demotivates the team? After going through catacombs and fighting the rotting living dead, a bit of farting is all they need to lose... :D

I didn't buy that much restorative items, but I bought all Multicures I could find and developed them into High Multicures, so that my medic could cast Mana Shield, while the Academic used Quick Use with High Multicure.

Oh, those, don't know. I ran out of them much earlier in the game. I think I found some deep in the Babyl Sphere, but they're still pretty rare. At least the Medic gets the skill, but it's on level 36 or something.

So, I'm just blasting through this now since Operation Babel finally got announced. Still in the first half of the game.

Enjoyed it so far. Not as much as Demon Gaze, and it really feels like a rougher version of a gridder, but it's fun. Story is bare-bones but good enough.

I'm a bit confused about Babyl Sphere though. Does it have any particular purpose? So far... I can't even remember why I first went there, and I've just been exploring it for a bit and it seems a bit tough for my party (level 12, just started the TPF dungeon). I'm trying to kill Mega Drill but whenever I get my wanted level up to find it I just get slaughtered by the normal trash mobs.

redcrayon

It's been a while since I played it, but there are various sections of it that you can access (and reasons to do so) as the game progresses, so don't worry too much, you'll be back there soon enough. It's a good training ground if you're struggling elsewhere, I used to head in and map out a bit of it now and then just to break up the pace.

The only thing I found annoying about it was that use of keys is only until you leave the dungeon, so it's really frustrating when you run into a section that has a huge amount of locked doors. That and keys being a drop and a crafted item (to make better keys).

So, I'm just blasting through this now since Operation Babel finally got announced. Still in the first half of the game.

Enjoyed it so far. Not as much as Demon Gaze, and it really feels like a rougher version of a gridder, but it's fun. Story is bare-bones but good enough.

I'm a bit confused about Babyl Sphere though. Does it have any particular purpose? So far... I can't even remember why I first went there, and I've just been exploring it for a bit and it seems a bit tough for my party (level 12, just started the TPF dungeon). I'm trying to kill Mega Drill but whenever I get my wanted level up to find it I just get slaughtered by the normal trash mobs.

I just got back to the game as well since Babel is coming out soon, I'm a bit confused about the purpose of Babyl Sphere. It seems like a great spot to grind though, my characters are level 12, except for an assassin I just created.

It's a shame grinding seems kind of hard to do, It's making the game a bit frustrating for me. Maybe I'm playing the game wrong?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I just got back to the game as well since Babel is coming out soon, I'm a bit confused about the purpose of Babyl Sphere. It seems like a great spot to grind though, my characters are level 12, except for an assassin I just created.

It's a shame grinding seems kind of hard to do, It's making the game a bit frustrating for me. Maybe I'm playing the game wrong?

Grinding for exp is more using like the samurai and constantly killing large groups of enemies. Though if you are not leveled enough some of the enemies in the Babyl Sphere might give you trouble. Its been a while since I played but think there are some physical attack resist types in there also which you will have to watch out for.

Grinding for exp is more using like the samurai and constantly killing large groups of enemies. Though if you are not leveled enough some of the enemies in the Babyl Sphere might give you trouble. Its been a while since I played but think there are some physical attack resist types in there also which you will have to watch out for.

I ran into the physical attack resist enemies and I got so frustrated because my wizard ran out of mp points :/

Maybe I'll just grind in the first area of the Babyl Sphere, the physical resist types mostly spawn in the second area.

Parakeetman

I ran into the physical attack resist enemies and I got so frustrated because my wizard ran out of mp points :/

Maybe I'll just grind in the first area of the Babyl Sphere, the physical resist types mostly spawn in the second area.

Be sure to work on fully upgrading your equipment too. As the game is one that puts a lot of emphasis on gear.

Since I think? if you can add on the + status for that particular physical resist enemy type you would be able to damage it with your weapons also. Its similar to how their other games spirit / undead enemies have physical resist unless weapons are enchanted to deal damage to them.

Not sure what the localized terms are so you might have to look that up. D:

So, I came across the conductor guy on the train last night who gave me the co-ordinates to get to... somehwere? I crafted a hack key and got in and the conductor was there, and I had the opportunity to fight him or leave him.

I found him and beat him fairly easily (level 20 team!) but then immediately afterwards came up against two Muramasa Rabbits that slaughtered my tank. So I saved that, but then reloaded my original save and didn't fight him and was able to explore the whole area without being killed, but there didn't see anything there?

Am I missing something here? Am I supposed to fight him or not?

So, I came across the conductor guy on the train last night who gave me the co-ordinates to get to... somehwere? I crafted a hack key and got in and the conductor was there, and I had the opportunity to fight him or leave him.

I found him and beat him fairly easily (level 20 team!) but then immediately afterwards came up against two Muramasa Rabbits that slaughtered my tank. So I saved that, but then reloaded my original save and didn't fight him and was able to explore the whole area without being killed, but there didn't see anything there?

Am I missing something here? Am I supposed to fight him or not?

If you're at the part I'm thinking of, you need to
go to those coordinates and face the door, then you should be able to jump out the train and reach a new area.

If you're at the part I'm thinking of, you need to
go to those coordinates and face the door, then you should be able to jump out the train and reach a new area.

Yeah, that's right. There's a boss at the start of that area that you can fight or leave, but I don't know which I'm supposed to do? He's easy enough to beat.

And there seems to be nothing in the new area of note that I've seen.

Ephidel

The Conductor is basically a rare spawn, and gives a trophy.
There's no specific trigger for it, so you don't need to follow his instructions to continue the plot.

His instructions tell you where you can jump off, and jumping should give you another trophy. The boss there is one of the Soul Eater/Soul Rebirth ones iirc?
At your stage in the game they're not important, but you have to have beaten both Eater and Rebirth to proceed with part of the lategame/postgame content (not quite sure how to label it - it's still part of the plot, but takes place after the "main" scenario is over)

The Conductor is basically a rare spawn, and gives a trophy.
There's no specific trigger for it, so you don't need to follow his instructions to continue the plot.

His instructions tell you where you can jump off, and jumping should give you another trophy. The boss there is one of the Soul Eater/Soul Rebirth ones iirc?
At your stage in the game they're not important, but you have to have beaten both Eater and Rebirth to proceed with part of the lategame/postgame content (not quite sure how to label it - it's still part of the plot, but takes place after the "main" scenario is over)

Right, so I've got one save that's after defeating the boss and one save where I left him and didn't fight. Would I be able to fight him again later if I enter the area again some other time, or should I load the save where I beat him?

Ephidel

I would assume that as it's a requirement they're not going to go and lock anyone out of it, and I would assume that means if you go back down there with a save where you said no to the encounter that you'll get another chance to trigger it, but I have no idea because I beat it the first time I went down there.
If you have saves where you did both I'd suggest you take the save where you noped out of the fight and go back down there to test it. It's probably the easiest way anyway. You don't need to see the conductor to jump out of the door, so just go back and see what happens.

I would assume that as it's a requirement they're not going to go and lock anyone out of it, and I would assume that means if you go back down there with a save where you said no to the encounter that you'll get another chance to trigger it, but I have no idea because I beat it the first time I went down there.
If you have saves where you did both I'd suggest you take the save where you noped out of the fight and go back down there to test it. It's probably the easiest way anyway. You don't need to see the conductor to jump out of the door, so just go back and see what happens.

Good point haha, I'll test it tomorrow and report back!

Quest is there now. Weird.. swear I didnt see it before.

Sorry to bump this, but I'm stuck at exactly the same point as this guy. I've done:

- Search the Babyl Sphere
- Oust the Administrator
- Sprawl Terror Sleuthing

As my last 3 story missions. I've also fought the TPF Foundation members in the cemetery; beat the Muvo Pyroman optional quest in Babyl Sphere (man, that was difficult with a level 22 party!) and done the new member initiation thing.

The only active mission I have is "special makeup lecture", for which I have to find Tae-Hyun in the Cemetery. But when I go there I've searched all over and there's just one staircase I can't go down, Noriko buzzes me and stops me every time saying we don't have permission to go down it.

I should add I've taken Masa everywhere multiple times.

There's no other missions and I'm at a loss what to do. Any suggestions?

Sorry to bump this, but I'm stuck at exactly the same point as this guy. I've done:

- Search the Babyl Sphere
- Oust the Administrator
- Sprawl Terror Sleuthing

As my last 3 story missions. I've also fought the TPF Foundation members in the cemetery; beat the Muvo Pyroman optional quest in Babyl Sphere (man, that was difficult with a level 22 party!) and done the new member initiation thing.

The only active mission I have is "special makeup lecture", for which I have to find Tae-Hyun in the Cemetery. But when I go there I've searched all over and there's just one staircase I can't go down, Noriko buzzes me and stops me every time saying we don't have permission to go down it.

I should add I've taken Masa everywhere multiple times.

There's no other missions and I'm at a loss what to do. Any suggestions?

Still stuck. I've been messing around - killed the Train Conductor; explored Babyl Sphere a bit more; did another round with Masa in every location I can think of but nothing, no new missions other than special makeup lecture which it won't let me progress.

Think I'm gonna drop the game. I don't mind a grind; or lots of optional content or anything, but it's literally not letting me progress at all. Bleh.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/733912-operation-abyss-new-tokyo-legacy/74187090

This guy seems to have had the exact same problem and resolved it by doing a Hachi mission, but I don't have any of those. I did the initial new member initiation but there's been nothing since then.

Bleh. I was enjoying this, too.

Saphirax

Still stuck. I've been messing around - killed the Train Conductor; explored Babyl Sphere a bit more; did another round with Masa in every location I can think of but nothing, no new missions other than special makeup lecture which it won't let me progress.

Think I'm gonna drop the game. I don't mind a grind; or lots of optional content or anything, but it's literally not letting me progress at all. Bleh.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/733912-operation-abyss-new-tokyo-legacy/74187090

This guy seems to have had the exact same problem and resolved it by doing a Hachi mission, but I don't have any of those. I did the initial new member initiation but there's been nothing since then.

Bleh. I was enjoying this, too.

Did you try going to Cemetary East x 07 y 09?

Did you try going to Cemetary East x 07 y 09?

Yeah, I can't seem to get there. I can get to the upper part of the east cemetary but x 07 y 09 isn't explorable for me.

There's one underground dungeon that opened up when I got the new code thing, but it just links to itself and doesn't seem to go anywhere. There's a second one on cemetary west that leads underground, but Noriko stops me going there.

I am wondering if there's something I'm missing in the east that's going to lead me into the bottom part, but I can't seem to find it so far.

Saphirax

Yeah, I can't seem to get there. I can get to the upper part of the east cemetary but x 07 y 09 isn't explorable for me.

There's one underground dungeon that opened up when I got the new code thing, but it just links to itself and doesn't seem to go anywhere. There's a second one on cemetary west that leads underground, but Noriko stops me going there.

I am wondering if there's something I'm missing in the east that's going to lead me into the bottom part, but I can't seem to find it so far.

I'm not sure if it'll be of much help since I can barely remember the game but I recall having a similar issue where I was supposed to go to a certain place in the Graveyard but couldn't get there. Turns out what I thought was a dead end on the map wasn't a dead end but simply continued onto the next screen/map.

Did you try looking at maps online, especially for the Graveyard, and see if you missed something?

I'm not sure if it'll be of much help since I can barely remember the game but I recall having a similar issue where I was supposed to go to a certain place in the Graveyard but couldn't get there. Turns out what I thought was a dead end on the map wasn't a dead end but simply continued onto the next screen/map.

Did you try looking at maps online, especially for the Graveyard, and see if you missed something?

I'll have another poke around tonight. Can't find any maps online, do you have any links? Can only find someone on GameFAQs that has the north, south and west areas lol

Parakeetman

All I remember about the graveyard was there was some stupid puzzle which opened an underground tomb I think.

Other stuff was mostly locked but could be unlocked with keys. Been too long so dont remember anything else unfortunately...

Finished the main story a few days ago. Been trying the post-game stuff, but I can't beat the gauntlet of TPF members at the moment that ends with the battle against a sister. She just wrecks my party (level 29), I'm beginning to wonder if I've been prioritizing the wrong stats with my squad or something.

I'm also struggling with the variant in Babyl Sphere, some dragon thing that spawns additional things in front of it. I can't even kill the adds, let alone hit the boss.

Meh.

Saphirax

Finished the main story a few days ago. Been trying the post-game stuff, but I can't beat the gauntlet of TPF members at the moment that ends with the battle against a sister. She just wrecks my party (level 29), I'm beginning to wonder if I've been prioritizing the wrong stats with my squad or something.

I'm also struggling with the variant in Babyl Sphere, some dragon thing that spawns additional things in front of it. I can't even kill the adds, let alone hit the boss.

Meh.

That dragon was annoying - it does take some luck to kill the adds. Also, I'd be careful in BS, there are enemies that can level you down (something I only realized when I noticed my paladin was 5 levels behind everyone else). 29 seems a bit low though.

That dragon was annoying - it does take some luck to kill the adds. Also, I'd be careful in BS, there are enemies that can level you down (something I only realized when I noticed my paladin was 5 levels behind everyone else). 29 seems a bit low though.

Christ, I didn't realise that, thanks for the heads up :|

I guess I'll have to grind, but I'm not really interested in doing that after 40 hours of the same gameplay lol. We'll see how I feel tonight but I may end up dropping it.

Meh.

Range Break, constantly using the Unity skill that makes you go first for three turns, using the multi hit skills like Gelicide (especially with the weapon temper skill from the magician) and constantly healing saved me.

Also, the tip one poster had about using the medics skill to transfer mana to the other characters, even the melee ones, making them into a reservoir of mana, which you can later send back to the other characters, was really helpful until the medic got the mana generation passive. Though level 29 for the post game seems rather low.

Also, I sometimes used the paladin as a damage sponge with the defense buff and Aegis skill. He took a lot of the damage, saving the squishy characters.

Range Break, constantly using the Unity skill that makes you go first for three turns, using the multi hit skills like Gelicide (especially with the weapon temper skill from the magician) and constantly healing saved me.

Also, the tip one poster had about using the medics skill to transfer mana to the other characters, even the melee ones, making them into a reservoir of mana, which you can later send back to the other characters, was really helpful until the medic got the mana generation passive. Though level 29 for the post game seems rather low.

Also, I sometimes used the paladin as a damage sponge with the defense buff and Aegis skill. He took a lot of the damage, saving the squishy characters.

Thanks. I'm using my academic to constantly build my Unity gauge and have mostly been using the defence boost/magic boost skills with that.

I was getting somewhere with the fight initially, but eventually I'd just face overwhelming odds and my paladin would get killed before I'd have a chance to get a heal in. I was running out of high-multi-care uses on my medic too.

Level 29 is just because I didn't grind much really. I got up to this point without ever really needing to do it.

Ephidel

29 seems a bit low though.
It doesn't sound that off. I was lv35 when I finished the main story and lv36 when I got to her and I'm pretty sure I was overlevelled.

Are you making proper use of skills? It's never too early to start a Range Break addiction. I'm pretty sure I was already subject to one by then. With Range Break most of the enemies can't even hit you properly and if you match it up with the Union Magic Shell or the Cleric's Magic Shield skill you shouldn't really be taking all that much damage at all.

If you buff Neo Hit/Defense/Psyguard before the fight and slap an Anti-Default on for protection once the fight starts you'll start off with an advantage.
If the enemy buffing is a problem you should have access to Default Target to strip their buffs away. Alternatively you could use Hit Break to decrease their accuracy and/or Hit Builder to increase yours (and there's Anti-Tamper too, which can decrease the damage your tank is taking if they need a hand, but it shares a spell slot with anti-default, and if you think it's going to be a slow fight you might want to keep that to reuse if/when it gets knocked off).

Wyvern Ω, that spawns the pink 'arms'?
Same set of tactics really, make liberal use of Range Break/Hit Break/Mana Shield/Magic Shell. Or if you have a Samurai with decent evasion then you can pretty much (less tactical tactics)
Shura it to death (only if your Samurai evades well though, otherwise it's, well, suicide)
Also, I'd be careful in BS, there are enemies that can level you down (something I only realized when I noticed my paladin was 5 levels behind everyone else).
You know, I genuinely feel like I missed out on that front, I never once got hit by any level downs, even after (post-game mechanics spoiler)
they lifted the cap, when I spent hours doing circuits of the top floor shura-ing anything that moved
. Exhaustion though, god yes. I got hit by tons of exhaustion.

If you have a Warrior and a Samurai, they should be able to generate enough Unity with their multi-hit skills to at least generate enough for another level one skill to always keep being the first one, even when the sister decreases it, thus leaving you time to use the Academics other skills to attack or heal with quick use and occasionally use the Unity recovery.

For the dragon, I always left some of its seeds or whatever they were alive after using range break, which always sent the dragon to the back, allowing me to focus solely on him, only attacking the other enemies that are in the first row if they spawn too much, usually leaving only one, without worrying that much about damage. If there was any danger I used the medic's skill that gave everyone a shield, which usually let them survive until the next turn to heal, saving some mana in the process.

I don't remember if the sister has any other enemies, but the same thing should work on her if she has some seeds or any other type of enemies to hide behind.

It doesn't sound that off. I was lv35 when I finished the main story and lv36 when I got to her and I'm pretty sure I was overlevelled.

You know, I genuinely feel like I missed out on that front, I never once got hit by any level downs, even after (post-game mechanics spoiler)
they lifted the cap, when I spent hours doing circuits of the top floor shura-ing anything that moved

I was 32, and had some trouble with her, but beat her after the 4-5 time. And yeah, never knew about the level down, because a lot of the encounters were done before the enemies even had a chance to act once. Though Exhauastion can fuck off. I was elated when I gt the skill to remove Exhaustion at will.

Saphirax

Are you making proper use of skills? It's never too early to start a Range Break addiction. I'm pretty sure I was already subject to one by then. With Range Break most of the enemies can't even hit you properly and if you match it up with the Union Magic Shell or the Cleric's Magic Shield skill you shouldn't really be taking all that much damage at all.

If you buff Neo Hit/Defense/Psyguard before the fight and slap an Anti-Default on for protection once the fight starts you'll start off with an advantage.
If the enemy buffing is a problem you should have access to Default Target to strip their buffs away. Alternatively you could use Hit Break to decrease their accuracy and/or Hit Builder to increase yours (and there's Anti-Tamper too, which can decrease the damage your tank is taking if they need a hand, but it shares a spell slot with anti-default, and if you think it's going to be a slow fight you might want to keep that to reuse if/when it gets knocked off).

Same set of tactics really, make liberal use of Range Break/Hit Break/Mana Shield/Magic Shell. Or if you have a Samurai with decent evasion then you can pretty much (less tactical tactics)
Shura it to death (only if your Samurai evades well though, otherwise it's, well, suicide)

Funny how it was the opposite for me, I rarely got hit by exhaustion. Think I was 35-38 by the end of the game.

Ephidel

Funny how it was the opposite for me, I rarely got hit by exhaustion. Think I was 35-38 by the end of the game.
Hah, that's a little funny. I think I'd rather have the exhaustion though. Far less time consuming :p
I was lv40 when I got the King of Babyl trophy.
By the time I got the plat I was Lv
51/52
(my Samurai was
lv55
but that was because I fed her gold, not because the others lost levels) :)

Thanks for this. I'd been using all the Neo stuff before going into battle, but must admit... I haven't been using Range Break at all. Whose skill is that? I ran with the default setup (paladin/warrior/samurai/cleric/academic/mage).

My problem is a lot of the in-battle buffs seem tied to cleric and I'm using her to turret heals on my paladin. I went all phys with him which I'm beginning to regret, he's got loads of health but takes an absolute beating...

Still, I'll try your suggestions, thanks for the input!

Yep, that's the one. I'll try those tactics there too :)

For the dragon, I always left some of its seeds or whatever they were alive after using range break, which always sent the dragon to the back, allowing me to focus solely on him, only attacking the other enemies that are in the first row if they spawn too much, usually leaving only one, without worrying that much about damage. If there was any danger I used the medic's skill that gave everyone a shield, which usually let them survive until the next turn to heal, saving some mana in the process.

Problem is, I couldn't even take down one of those pink arms before things got hairy. Maybe I do need to do a bit more levelling.

Ephidel

Thanks for this. I'd been using all the Neo stuff before going into battle, but must admit... I haven't been using Range Break at all. Whose skill is that? I ran with the default setup (paladin/warrior/samurai/cleric/academic/mage).

My problem is a lot of the in-battle buffs seem tied to cleric and I'm using her to turret heals on my paladin. I went all phys with him which I'm beginning to regret, he's got loads of health but takes an absolute beating...

Still, I'll try your suggestions, thanks for the input!
Range Break is an Academic skill, it's in the 7th Column.

I wouldn't worry about loading your Knight with Phys, that's their primary stat. They're meant to take a beating.
You can't really screw one up either. You can only put a certain number of points in a stat anyway, so eventually it will prompt you to start putting your points elsewhere.

Besides, it's not like there's actually all that much else you could put points in instead that would be worthwhile.
The only really useful alternative to Phys is Luck, mostly for ailment mitigation (and because it's an Experience dungeon crawler so everything should probably get given points in luck at some point ^^).
Strength is only good for attacking, and a Knight isn't going to be attacking anything often enough for that to matter.
Speed only affects when a unit moves within a turn, and I'm pretty sure Aegis acts first regardless of the speed of your knight. In this game Speed isn't Agi (... says someone who gave her Archer way more Speed than it will ever need because normally I'd dose it up on Agi ¬_¬)
Wis and Spi aren't useful because in this game the Knight/Paladin never actually gets any spells.

(My Knight's points ended up in Phys / Luck / Speed in the end. Mostly because there wasn't anywhere else to put them)

Just for reference I ran Knight/Samurai/Monk//Academic/Cleric/Archer.

Top Bottom