• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Valve making SOB, open world space game, concept art leaks [Update: Post 117]

sflufan

Banned
Because this is the new RUMOR floating around based on a supposed concept art leak:

http://gamingbolt.com/stars-of-barathrum-open-world-space-game-from-valve-concept-art-leak

// Mod Edit:

Original link with more art: http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1217651

Facepunch said:
An inside source has confirmed that SOB (Valve's new IP) is an unannounced game entitled Stars of Barathrum (working title). Plays like privateer/freelancer but also with the ability to command larger cruisers and capital ships. It's a very vast and open-world game where you choose your own adventure, a lot of internal resources are being put into SOB.

tumblr_mbr1rpcfky1rta7fose.jpg

tumblr_mbr1rpcfky1rta3rrq1.jpg

tumblr_mbr1rpcfky1rtagoorr.jpg

tumblr_mbr1rpcfky1rtaf8o5u.jpg

tumblr_mbr1rpcfky1rta28qgb.jpg

gxljm0npad.jpg

uwskzdwkog.jpg

fan65p6p6y.jpg

voniwqwrvl.jpg

tnaden

Valve will always get my money whatever they do

It sounds interesting.. different from what they've done so far.

1-D_FTW

I like the mention of open world, space, and Valve.

I don't like the article speculation of MMO.

But it could be interesting as long as it's more open world than MMO.

Valve is remaking EVE?

Ok, I guess. I hope it isn't some barebones F2P game that nickel and dimes us for features.

And please don't bring up TF2. It started life as part of TOB then became a standalone game, and was only monetized later in order to continue community support. It's a severe outlier in terms of both success and quality of F2P games.

sflufan

Banned
Do you guys recall how Valve is very much interested in changing the way a player interacts with a game through input devices?

Wouldn't a space sim be an ideal way to implement this kind of new input method?

sflufan

Banned
Valve is remaking EVE?

Ok, I guess. I hope it isn't some barebones F2P game that nickel and dimes us for features.

And please don't bring up TF2. It started life as part of TOB then became a standalone game, and was only monetized later in order to continue community support. It's a severe outlier in terms of both success and quality of F2P games.

Can I bring up DOTA 2 then?

Xiaoki

The spaceship flying in space MMO field is pretty dominated by Eve.

Yeah, its probably a more action-y type spaceship flying in space MMO but that didnt help other competitors like Earth and Beyond and Black Prophecy.

So, I have to wonder how is this going to differentiate itself from the Eve juggernaut while still being appealing to the same crowd?

Grief.exe

Valve is remaking EVE?

Case in point DOTA 2...oh wait.

Valve's whole model in F2P games is getting people to subscribe to their service, if they lose money on an individual game its irrelevant as long as they get more and more people on steam.

Sounds awesome though, especially after hearing about Star Citizen.

Derrick01

Banned
It wouldn't be the WoW-style MMO you're thinking of though. MMO's can be amazing and were amazing before everyone went the same greedy WoW path.

It would still involve playing with other people and I no longer want that in games. People ruin everything.

scitek

Chris Roberts' project would be overshadowed if this is true. I like Valve, but I want a game like his in CryEngine over Source.

sp3000

Chris Roberts' project would be overshadowed if this is true. I like Valve, but I want a game like his in CryEngine over Source.

Yeah I would take CE3 over Source anyday. It sucks that they are still using that tired old engine.

1-D_FTW

It wouldn't be the WoW-style MMO you're thinking of though. MMO's can be amazing and were amazing before everyone went the same greedy WoW path.

Which is the only reason I'd keep an open mind if true. I've never met an MMO I liked, but I don't think Valve would be following anyone else's blueprint.

Plus I take comfort in the article talking about rumors of Valve, space, open-world. The whole MMO part seems like unrelated speculation that's purely on the author's part. So who knows if that's even part of it.

It could be some weird new genre that only gets lumped into the MMO category because it's convenient labeling. Assuming the whole thing is even true. But I'm open to believing because I could see Valve trying some type of new genre game that people have difficulty classifying.

Xiaoki

It would still involve playing with other people and I no longer want that in games. People ruin everything.

If people ruin everything then single player games are similarly ruined because they have a single person playing it.

So, by your logic the act of you playing any video game at all ruins the game. Good job.

Randdalf

Case in point DOTA 2...oh wait.

Valve's whole model in F2P games is getting people to subscribe to their service, if they lose money on an individual game its irrelevant as long as they get more and more people on steam.

Sounds awesome though, especially after hearing about Star Citizen.

Valve's model in F2P is to sell cosmetic items that don't affect gameplay and let spending money only be a shortcut to unlocking stuff. A side effect may be an increase in Steam users, but Dota 2 and TF2 both make massive amounts of money on their own.

edit: On the source for this story, Facepunch, there's no mention of MMO. It's only mentioned as speculation by the person who wrote the article.

Zia

That's Gabe's "dream game," so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Crosses fingers, holds breath and sits on hands.

JustinBB7

Whenever Valve announces (or leaks like this) a new game I'm always scared it will be bad. I had that with Portal and Left 4 Dead first, then with Dota 2. But those are all my top played games/favorite games.

But again, this doesn't look like a Valve game to me, but hopefully they will prove me wrong and make an amazing game like they always do. If it's an MMO though I really hope it's not with monthly fee, but knowing Valve they won't do that anyway.

Azzurri

Just make it like SWG pre NGE.

Yup, that's the problem every MMO now wants WOW money, so they try and copy the same old themepark design.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Eh, if this was single player I would be more excited. I like shit like X3 and Freelancer because I can do everything on my own without having to worry about other players.

That's Gabe's "dream game," so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Crosses fingers, holds breath and sits on hands.

Yeah, he mentioned it a while back.

Also, it is worth noting that Gabe wanted to bring back Prospero as an MMO when TF2 was "done." Maybe some of the ideas from Prospero went into this.

Loona

Isn't EVE currently one of the backbones of Iceland's economy? Does Gabe want to go to war with a country or something?...

Maybe it won't be that similar, and replacing hats with custom ship paintjobs could be interesting...

Top Bottom