• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia 2008 sequel :( ?!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I want a full sequel too. I never felt the same way about a lot of the complaints towards the game.

It's still easily one of my favourite games all gen.

ZenaxPure

That's true, but the core game's ending isn't a cliff hanger, the story just has a cyclical structure, as lots of media has.

I agree with you, but many other people obviously find these sorts of endings as bs and want their "real ending". To me anyway it's pretty easy to see
Elika coming back to life and Ahriman covering the entire world in darkness the end of everything since based on everything stated in the game he would truly be unstoppable
but unfortunately people tend to find these as cliffhangers.

DLC is another story of course since it is clearly a cliffhanger.

As a huge fan of the game I'd like a sequel but at this point I've pretty much given up.

def sim

At least it was much better than Sands of Time, which was completely linear.

That consolation "prize" doesn't make the game any better. PoP 2008 gave us this immense, beautiful world to explore and the system shackled us the whole way through.

Carl

Actually you were sent back somewhere.

Which was/is broken on PS3 and doesn't work. You get the trophy anyway.

Usually to the last platform the stood on, which is a hell of a lot better than dying and having to spend 10 minutes getting back to where you were...then dying again :p.

Also, it wasn't broken when i first played it. Had to play it twice to get that trophy

Would love a sequel or another game with the same art because holy cow this game was beautiful. It is an interesting case of rebooting a franchise as the game may have been better of being a completely new IP because, while it would have been compared to previous PoP games in some capacity, it wouldn't have been shouldering the same level of expectations.

Elika is a fantastic character and I really wish the game ended when Elika
vanquished the evil one last time and dropped dead. The prince carrying her out of the temple (under your control) while the credits rolled would have been an amazing ending
but all games have to leave wiggle room for a sequel nowadays.

I will never understand the complaints about the 'no-death' aspect as it is really just the greatest checkpoint/restart system implemented. It saves you a 'game over' screen or selecting 'continue?' on a menu while adding to the seemless nature of the world and the relationship between the two main characters.

I will never understand the complaints about the 'no-death' aspect as it is really just the greatest checkpoint/restart system implemented. It saves you a 'game over' screen or selecting 'continue?' on a menu while adding to the seemless nature of the world and the relationship between the two main characters.

OMG you read my mind :)

Petrichor

I loved everything about it bar the horrible 8-way streamlined platforming.... and unfortunately that was a pretty big problem for me.

If they fixed this in a sequel though I'd bite.

Complaining that this game is too easy is like complaining Flower or Journey or Kirby Epic Yarn is too easy. Dying just was not built into the game's design.

I enjoyed this PoP, and it's disappointing to see where it went afterwards. This thread will be all about the no death argument, but the games real flaws were it's lack of variety, repetitive game design, and the smoke-and-mirrors effect of the draw distance. Those beautiful vistas are mostly unreachable. The screenshots make it look like a big beautiful world, but it's really just sky platform to sky platform with unreachable, backdrops. Leaves a lot to be desired.

Sums it up pretty well.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Gameplay was boring, the combat was horrible IMO but it surely looked and animated beautifully. The story was cool too. I wished they use the combat system similar to the originals or copy Batman but with Swords. Platforming was nice they can keep it. Gimme enemy variety and options to fight multiple ones and we are set.

jimi_dini

No, the patch for the DLC just reset/disabled the counter.

Why "no"? It is broken currently and it was broken (right after that last patch came out). And it doesn't reset any counter. It's really fully broken. You can get saved 10000 times, it won't matter. Trophy unlocked.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I loved the game for what it was, and I really hope there will be a sequel some day. But they need to do something with the combat for the sequel, because the combat was nothing but bad and tedious. Still, it's probably the only PoP game I've played and actually enjoyed.

And no more shit like that awful epilogue. God, I wish that piece of shit would crawl up Satan's greasy asshole and die in there.

Hey. Hey.

Hating on Sands of Time is not allowed.

You don't think there's a bit of a budget difference between those two?

I don't think a full fledged high resolution 2D art game can be considered cheap. Neither I think Ubi would need an AC game budget to release another game like POP2008.

BluWacky

This didn't sell well enough to warrant a sequel.

End of story.

It sold over 2 million copies worldwide - is that not good these days?

I had rather thought the reason we hadn't seen a sequel is due to the "bombing" of the film and Forgotten Sands (which was actually pretty damn good). I rather thought they might be letting the dust settle on that before the next instalment in the franchise.

Carl

Why "no"? It is broken currently and it was broken (right after that last patch came out). And it doesn't reset any counter. It's really fully broken. You can get saved 10000 times, it won't matter. Trophy unlocked.

Unless they broke it with a patch, that's not true. I didn't get the trophy on my first playthrough

Mirror's Edge 2 is more likely than a PoP '08 sequel.

e: And I don't get the no dying complains.

You die in this game, but instead of getting a game over screen and having to load the last checkpoint, the game skips that part and throws you right back.

Joni

Don't download the patch and the counter works. As that patch is only meant to prepare for the DLC, it doesn't matter anyway.

jimi_dini

Unless they broke it with a patch, that's not true. I didn't get the trophy on my first playthrough

I never said that it was broken all the time. I said "it was/is broken". "Was" relating to "time right after the patch got released" (which was some years ago, so quite a long time, yes they broke it with a patch), "Is" to current situation. It was never fixed. Anyhow, a trophy is not an excuse for no challenge at all. If you got another ending however (you don't), that would kinda change it.

Complaining that this game is too easy is like complaining Flower or Journey or Kirby Epic Yarn is too easy. Dying just was not built into the game's design.

And comparing "PoP 2008 too easy" to "Epic Yarn too easy" just doesn't work. PoP 2008 is too easy in total, there is nothing challenging about the game. Epic Yarn however is only "too easy", if you play through it normally. If you however want to complete it to 100% (completing all the challenges), it will get somewhat challenging.

Don't download the patch and the counter works. As that patch is only meant to prepare for the DLC, it doesn't matter anyway.

First of all, I didn't even know that the patch would break parts of the game at the time I played it. Most people that played it didn't know about that. Second, the trophy is completely worthless (even more worthless than they already are, and I'm a trophy whore), because of that glitch, so why should one not download the patch. It won't matter at all.

For anyone wanting a really challenging PoP game, try PoP Forgotten Sands on Wii. Lots of content. Lots of challenges. Extra levels for challenge purposes. Speedrun challenges (some of them extreme). And even (if I recall correctly) randomly generated challenge levels as well.

Roto13

People complaining about the lack of death wouldn't be complaining if your character died and the game just had a lot of checkpoints. Apparently they just really like load screens.
I would really like a game with the same style and better execution, the game was decent but compared to the best games of the saga was a downgrade.

And please no "real ending" DLC bullshit next time.

The Epilogue is no more "real" an ending than the standard one.

Corto

I don't understand the whole "no death" controversy. You fail a platform run or jump and instead of a death animation and respawn you get a rescue animation and a respawn. That said, I'm also one of the fans of the first game that wishes for a direct sequel. Sooner rather than latter. It won't happen though. :(

People complaining about the lack of death wouldn't be complaining if your character died and the game just had a lot of checkpoints. Apparently they just really like load screens.

The Epilogue is no more "real" an ending than the standard one.

It's is real, because that's the actual ending of the game. It's like they grab a movie cut the 10 final minutes and call it "Epilogue", but the fact is is the ending.

Rayman Origins didn't bomb at all, don't know why people keep saying that. The game was profitable for Ubisoft.

Because it sold like 30k on the month it was released and I saw the game cut down the price to the half on my local stores just a few weeks after was released.

I didn't know it made money at all. When Ubi said that?

-BLITZ-

reminds me of :

Neah, I think of her:
tumblr_lst1tadUji1qchskao1_500.jpg

Much better ...

I would love to see a sequel. The music, environments, the colors, the sky, the clouds, I admire everything, but this time I want two swords and combos.

Couldn't care less about this game, one of the most boring 3D worlds I've had to sleepwalk/jump through, pretty as it is. Give me more games like Forgotten Sands, I never really get bored of that style.

ektoll

The soundtrack for this game was gorgeous! Set the tone perfectly.

I want to buy this game again to replay it in front of my girlfriend, as a gaffer said it, it's very relaxing to play.

Mirror's Edge and PoP were my best games of 2008. <3

I don't understand the whole "no death" controversy. You fail a platform run or jump and instead of a death animation and respawn you get a rescue animation and a respawn. That said, I'm also one of the fans of the first game that wishes for a direct sequel. Sooner rather than latter. It won't happen though. :(

The "no death" thing is just a strawman people who are enthusiastic about the game use to defend its difficulty, or lack thereof.

The platforming was basically braindead in comparison to the rest of the series. It was pretty and had some personality but the visual indicator of checkpointing wasn't the problem with the difficulty.

Joni

Second, the trophy is completely worthless (even more worthless than they already are, and I'm a trophy whore), because of that glitch, so why should one not download the patch. It won't matter at all..

The trophy is worthless if you get trophies to compare with others. It isn't if you want a personal challenge, just like you said about Epic Yarn. It is challenging if you want to get it fair and square.

The combat was incredibly dull and the platforming was on rails - so the actual gameplay sucked. Beautiful, beautiful game though - nice world and decent story too. Would welcome a sequel with real platforming and a different combat system.

Top Bottom