• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines screens

Mash

Looks awesome, can't wait for this the PC AvP game on Marine mode was genuinely scary but that is most definitely a vagina.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Fucking awesome :O

tho i don't like the look of the AR =/

why is that so many games always fail on making a good looking AR....i just don't get it.

Bebpo

Banned
Looks good. If the gameplay turns out well it'd be nice to have another great alien-based fps.

I'm more curious about the rpg one though tbh.

Bebpo said:
Looks good. If the gameplay turns out well it'd be nice to have another great alien-based fps.

I'm more curious about the rpg one though tbh.

That's what I was thinking of. Was that confirmed as the SK Sega game, or was that just people putting 2 and 2 together and getting Pi?

arne

I don't have GI and I read nothing. What's the storyline? this looks just like the Aliens movie down to the locales, welding the door, etc.

Endless

from another thread:

Insane Metal said:
"A few years ago, we made a list of a lot of projects that we would really like to work on.
At the top of my list was Aliens"

Brian Martel, creative director

(reminder: Starcraft, Doom and Halo, etc. marine concepts WERE ALL INSPIRED BY Aliens,
the ultimate movie and ultimate space marine xenomorph survival universe.)

"We're finally at the point where the game in a similiar blockbuster style as the movie was -
and be a legitimate treatment, not a watered-down version."

Brian Cozzens, art director

Aliens : Colonial Marines is a First Person Shooter with mechanics that stress working
together as a unit. Four Colonial Marines investigate the Sulaco. Unlike many FPS titles,
thre is not one central hero character (awesome!!!), the role is shared among the whole
squad. The game reinforces that notion by assigning the player to control a set marine
for a particular mission; you will experience everyone's perspective.

Marines carry four weapons:
*Primary weapon
*Secondary weapon
*grenades
*handgun

Primary weapons like pulse rifles and smartguns, are how class will be represented.

"We wish to remain authentic to the true soldiers, so characters generally do not drop
or pick up weapons. That is one of the reasons we switch character during the story -
to keep our soldiers realistic, but still give the player access to different weaponry
throughout the game".

The secondary weapon will vary and be customized according to the character,
like Hicks' shotgun in Aliens.

Each character will also carry a special item they can interact with allies or the
enviornment.
*Hacking tool for sealed doors
*Torch can weld things shut
*Medical Kit can revive as well as neutralize acid burns.

There are Squad Commands. Besides move and attack orders, you can also
use context senstive commands like hacking doors, sealing vents, and setting up
gun turrets.

There will be elements at highlight horror and suspence from the film. Aliens
will use the enviornment to their advantage. Air ducts, ceiling pipes, gratings on
the floor. Position, firepower and cooperation will be important. Motion tracker
confirmed and flamethrower confirmed.

FOUR PLAYERS CO-OP CAMPAIGN
2 players Splitscreen and 4 players online play!

players can join and drop, a.i. takes over the vacancies.

There will be moments whre you can barricade yourselves to survive an onslaught
of aliens. With more feelings of tension and desperation to survive.

Character depth will is being worked on. "That's something people forget:
The characters DO matter." Everyone thinks 'Oh, they're going to be fodder',
but if you don't care about them, they're pointless."

The game will go beyond the Sulaco, there will be human enemies involved that
was the aliens as biological weapons. And the mystery of the space jockey's species might
be also revealed.

"We have squadmates that need to survive, until we kill them in the story."
[This could throw a wrench in the workings of the group, especially if it leaves a player
without a marine to control. Gearbox is aware of that but hasn't settled on the best way
to resolve the situation. "We are going to make the absolute best co-op game we can
make to the extent that it doesn't interfere with the best single player game we can make."
"Obviously there are some things we can't do if there are always four people alive, but
there are ways around that situation. We are going to find them, because it's our job to."

CLose-Encounters system. "Close encounters are almost unlimited in their ability to
let us do what we want to do. Aliens can interact with the world - it isn't just a bunch
of button presses until its over. The alien could leap back onto a cabinet, or another one
of your squadmates. He could leap back and through a duct and out of sight."

The marine's actions in the example are initiated by the player through responding to
less intrusive instructions. A subtle flash of green on the right side of the screen
tells you to move the analog stick in that direction, whereas one in the upper left corner
could be a prompt to pull the left trigger. By abandoning the usual control scheme,
close encounters makes it possible for the team to create those one-of-a-kind combat
situations that caputre the flavor of the most iconic moments in Aliens.
"If we were to recreate the power-loader battle against the queen, that would be a
close encounter."

TYPES OF ALIENS. "There won't be porcupine aliens shooting spines at you. It
can't be goofy or stupid. You have the original Alien, and we sort of think of him
as the smart one, as a scout. He'll hide and ambush people. Then there's the Warrior
Alien, which we see in Aliens, which is going to be the one that rushes you and comes
in volume."

"It's the granddaddy of military sci-fi. With next-gen technology, we can finally do it
justice. We can really make the aliens look scary, we can make the setting freaky, and
we can creat the characters the players care about."

THE GAME WILL HAVE MULTIPLAYER CAPABILITIES in addition to the
4 players co-op campaign.

Ryuuga

Banned
snack said:
I wouldn't mind letting that hug my head.

You have discovered the big story "twist".

13zqzrl.gif
item

All of which made your post work out so well.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
brandonh83 said:
Please, o lord, if you are there, please do not allow this game to suck.

Gearbox will deliver a great game. They are also really good with AI... so expect really smart aliens.

Can't freakin wait for this.

JdFoX187

Banned
arne said:
I don't have GI and I read nothing. What's the storyline? this looks just like the Aliens movie down to the locales, welding the door, etc.
Direct sequel to Aliens from the Colonial Marines standpoint.

Looks like ass. This is one game that could really benefit from not having that bloom 'n grunge UE3 style. First sign that Gearbox is, in fact, fucking this up.

Evolved1

item

I like how you can see the player's body and it doesn't look all awkward and detached.

More games like this please.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Looks like ass. This is one game that could really benefit from not having that bloom 'n grunge UE3 style. First sign that Gearbox is, in fact, fucking this up.

I'll direct you to post #28.

Hopefully most of the game will be like that.

And did you read about the co-op?

careksims

It's damn good the Predators are not in this one.

I really love the film Aliens and it saddens me some people have never seen it. This is gonna' be awesome for the co-op alone. I been wishing for such a game and its looking good.

LowParry

AltogetherAndrews said:

All games look like ass in early development. Let's just hope it gets a good polish.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i remain positive about this, as it's pretty early, but that shot of the xenomorph jumping at the cowering soldier makes the alien look like he's made of metal or something.

wsippel

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
That's what I was thinking of. Was that confirmed as the SK Sega game, or was that just people putting 2 and 2 together and getting Pi?
No, Obsidian's developing the RPG.

CcrooK said:
All games look like ass in early development. Let's just hope it gets a good polish.

Actually, Gearbox games have had a tendency of looking real good real early on. And that's not a compliment. Such a bad choice of developer for this property.

Evolved1

AltogetherAndrews said:
Actually, Gearbox games have had a tendency of looking real good real early on. And that's not a compliment.

That is unfortunately true. They do bullshots.

But that's where we part ways on this one... I think they'll deliver a AAA game.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
AltogetherAndrews said:
Actually, Gearbox games have had a tendency of looking real good real early on. And that's not a compliment. Such a bad choice of developer for this property.
Whats you beef with them? The BiA games on the Xbox were awesome.

edit: Also, how's Halo 3 AA?

recklessmind said:
And did you read about the co-op?

Meh, they can do their little band of brothers crap elsewhere. If they can't get the intensity and feeling of primal fear right, no amount of fancy squad tactics and overbearing camaraderie is going to save it.

recklessmind said:
That is unfortunately true. They do bullshots.

But that's where we part ways on this one... I think they'll deliver a AAA game.

I'm sure they can deliver an AAA game, but I have no faith in this particular studio tackling Aliens.

Uncle

recklessmind said:
http://deco-00.slide.com/r/1/91/dl/x-JkMHMF5z89h2PuFIREpn4PJokZlxP_/item

That is perfect.

Agreed. The motion detetcor looks awesome. Reminded me instantly of this scene:

Hudson: Eight meters. Seven. Six.
Ripley: It can't be. That's inside the room.
Hudson: It's reading right, man! Look!
Hicks: Well, you're not reading it right.
Hudson: Five meters, man, four... What the hell?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
AltogetherAndrews said:

And why would that be?

Top Bottom