• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES classic to cost R$ 999 on Brazil

Unai

JVLat, Nintendo's representative in the country, announced at the magazine GameInformer that the console will have a recommended price of R$ 999 (roughly 320 US dollars) and will be released on October 20. That's even more relatively expensive than the infame launch of the PS4 for R$ 3999.

Source: IGN

proopaganda-gi_sjy2.jpg

Prices are out of control on Brazil but it's pretty much the fault of the government, right? Aren't the taxes crazy high for imported products?

Bowlie

Banned
Hahahahhaa, mil reais...

That's insane. The new Mega Drive that was somewhat recently released here costs 449 reais, and that's already a lot.

Is it taxes that is pushing the price so high?

Yes and no. They use this as the main excuse to maximize profit.

One pays 60% in general taxes to get into the country, so it would be roughly $130 plus some profit (which should be imbued in the $80 already but ok), this should lead to a maximum $200.

But ...

Taxes are a big problem here in Brazil? Absolutely.

But don't be mistaken, the price of the SNES Classic is not about taxes. They're preying on uninformed consumers.

Even if all the taxes and a hefty profit accounted for, this price doesn't make any sense.

Unai

What are the tarrifs like in Brazil?

Buying one from Amazon US (if you could, that is) and paying all brazilian taxes, it would cost about half the official price, so taxes alone don't justify everything here.

Taxes are a big problem here in Brazil? Absolutely.

But don't be mistaken, the price of the SNES Classic is not about taxes. They're preying on uninformed consumers.

Even if all the taxes and a hefty profit accounted for, this price doesn't make any sense.

Exactly this!

Reggie: "Don't pay more than $80 for SNES Classic"

JVLat: "Hold my beer"

lol

Reki

Is it taxes that is pushing the price so high?

They account for a fair bit, but JVLat inflates the prices even more. In some countries the launch prices for the Switch were like 80%-90% higher than in the States when taxes should account for like 20-30%. And that's without even considering they get those things for a distributor price.

Reggie: "Don't pay more than $80 for SNES Classic"

JVLat: "Hold my beer"

Ok I laughed.

Yeah, I saw this today. If my math is correct, importing one from amazon should cost around R$400 less lol.

Edit: Just clarifying my math: The SNES classic is $80. Import fee should be around $20, I think. So you've got $100 to import one. BUT, because of Brazil's ridiculous taxes, you double this value (amazon has always doubled the price whenever I imported something), so it is $200. Now multiply by 3.1, since US$1 = R$3.1, and you get R$620.

However, this value considers that amazon won't refund any of the taxes at all. Both times I imported electronics from Amazon, I've got some kind of refund. I doubt it would happen for the SNES classic, though, since the package is big and its price is over US$50.

Slixshot

Banned
Buying one from Amazon US (if you could, that is) and paying all brazilian taxes, it would cost half the official price, so taxes alone don't justify everything here.

Exactly this!

Good to know. Sometimes people forget to take them into consideration but the fact that the price truly isn't justified is a load of BS.

falberto

Neo Member
And they have the courage to complain about piracy in Brazil, this price is 90% of a full base job salary (called here as salário minimo).

Depois reclamam da pirataria, preço ridículo, quase 1 salário minimo num produto que deveria valer 1/3 desse valor.

Nintendo: Brazil would you like a SNES Classic?

Brazil: We sure would, but won't we have to pay those outrageous gaming outlet prices for something you probably spit in?

Subaru

It's 320 USD, not 280.

That's so fucking expensive, but I bet that it will sold out.

And they have the courage to complain about piracy in Brazil, this price is 90% of a full base job salary (called here as salário minimo).

Depois reclamam da pirataria, preço ridículo, quase 1 salário minimo num produto que deveria valer 1/3 desse valor.

No it's not, it's MORE than one salário minimo.
Salário Mínimo = R$ 937,00

In Chile the Switch costs 350.000 Pesos.... that´s 540 USD aprox.

Some stores sell it a t 300.000 Pesos = 460 USD aprox

The NES Classic was at 99.000 = 152 USD aprox

LeonSPBR

É mais que um salário mínimo. 70 reais a mais.

It's more than base salary. More than 70 reais.

That's absurd, and it reminds me of earlier this year when the Brazilian government attempted to tax an investment (originating in Canada) I was getting ready to make with a Brazilian business partner. I can only imagine how such policies impact the local population
when it comes to every day necessities outside of the realm of gaming and other luxuries. But, that's a discussion for another thread. :p

Ahasverus

It's 2017. Why do we have to keep getting fucked over by prices here in South America? :(
Ikr. It's long overdue for game companies to put their shit together in these market if they want it to grow.

The potential is there, but the prices limits their public to the 1% of these places.

Fbh

Not hard to imagine.
Met a few Brazilian people that told me that it was cheaper to take a short trip to another country and buy some electronic devices there than simply going to a store in Brazil and buying the same products.

These import taxes are fucking stupid. You can make an argument for products that can and are produced locally like clothing or food. But not fucking videogame consoles.

Doesn't Brazil have a bunch of import taxes?
As far as I know.
Yeah.

Edit:
Just read that this pricing is ridiculous even including the taxes

Top Bottom