• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RBI Baseball 1, 2 and 3 for NES

Man I just fired up my NES to play these games. Call it nostalgia...call it whatever. I know many of you guys will pick RBI Baseball as your fave:

225px-RBIBaseballNES.png

RBI_baseball.jpg

Roly poly players...fun gameplay...all good.

But my fave was easily RBI Baseball 2 (and 3 to a lesser extent):

RBI_2_Baseball.gif

NES%20rbi%20baseball%202%20box.JPG

Sharper graphics...slimmer players...all teams....

But what I loved most was the ability to use codes and play with the Tengen team. Basically it was the developers of the game with jacked up stats. MeMikeMe and his 70 homers...hehe...

My buddies and I even found a trick within the game to hit 500+ feet homers....skipping class just to play this game....only Tecmo Super Bowl rivalled our love for sports games on the NES....

RBI Baseball 3 was essentially the same game as part 2 but with older division teams from 1983-1990. The graphics also looked sharper. I remember Tengen "beefing" with Nintendo and they released this game in a hurry.

617185.jpg

After the series went to the Genesis and SNES, I felt it lost its magic and was never quite the same.

I still play these games to this very day. To me baseball as a game was the best back in those days...heck...even Barry Bonds is skinny in these games. :p

RBI Baseball4Life!!!

I 'believe' the SNES games were made by a different developer, probably Time Warner, or whatever, since they owned the franchise, which was owned by Atari/Tengen.

The NES ones were all made by Namco, as far as I recall.

And yes, they are my favorite NES baseball games, even moreso than Baseball Stars and Little League. :)

EekTheKat

This was the game that got me into sports in general when I was young :lol

Boston in the original game was somesort of unstoppable machine - especially if you subbed in Tony Armas.

I remember thinking Saberhagen was pretty cool with his extreme sidearm delivery back in the day too :lol god it's really been that long since the Royals were any good.

brigadeer

RBI baseball for life!

This was probably one of my favorite NES games back in the day. I must have been 12 or 13 years old when I got it. I loved playing as the American League All Star team and would just club home runs like crazy.

I hated the 10 run rule where the game would be over if you ended an inning up by 10 runs or more. I always liked to get my runs only from home runs. That said, when I would get a hit, I would simply keep running the bases until I got thrown or tagged out.

Time to fire up my NES emulator again for some RBI baseball greatness!

brigadeer

By the way, wasn't Tengen some sort of Atari off brand name used to develop games for the NES?

I thought I remembered something about them (Atari) creating games for the NES without the official NES license or Seal of Approval, RBI baseball being the first of them. Could be wrong, but I think thats what happened. I believe they went to court and won the right to develop games for the NES without the normal Nintendo development roadblocks later on.

truffleshuffle83 said:
baseball stars for life bitches

This was also an awesome game.......but....RBI rules dude.

P.S. I remember renting a NEO GEO with that arcade stick and Baseball Stars back in the day....

brigadeer said:
By the way, wasn't Tengen some sort of Atari off brand name used to develop games for the NES?

I thought I remembered something about them (Atari) creating games for the NES without the official NES license or Seal of Approval, RBI baseball being the first of them. Could be wrong, but I think thats what happened. I believe they went to court and won the right to develop games for the NES without the normal Nintendo development roadblocks later on.

Yes....remember the Tengen Tetris carts supposedly burned in a warehouse? :lol

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I loved RBI baseball. I still like the look of the first the best though 2 and 3 had great improvements. Baseball Stars on NES was rudimentary. But it had the Ninja team. A Ninja team!

Baseball Stars on Neo-Geo was like a whole nother world of greatness.

truffleshuffle83 said:
baseball stars for life bitches
Yep. For baseball goodness on the NES, nothing even comes close to this game. Bad News Baseball, Little League Baseball and Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball were pretty good too. Personally, I only played the RBI games on the Genny. Pretty good stuff.

I still play these games to this very day. To me baseball as a game was the best back in those days...heck...even Barry Bonds is skinny in these games. :p
Hehe! It reminds me that I used to be looking for a "realistic" baseball game in which Jim Abbott would be missing his right hand. Never found one.:lol

Johnas

I don't know that I ever played RBI Baseball, but I remember loving Major League Baseball for NES. That and Double Dribble were the only two sports titles I owned.

Actually, I don't know that I even owned MLB.

ParkPace

Any game where I can use Chet Lemon is a game worth owning. Hell, the whole Tigers team in that game kicks ass. RBI Baseball rocks.

Man, the NES has some awesome baseball games. Here are my favorites:

1) Baseball Stars

Part 1 only. I forgot what Baseball Stars 2 does wrong (been awhile since I owned it), but the game felt somehow crippled to me, a serious fan of the original.

2) Baseball Simulator 1.000

The best build-your-own-team game for the NES, even if you play without the crazy special abilities. Knock a hole in the scoreboard, or hit it out of the park into the harbor. PLAY IN SPACE. Kick ass. Stat-tracking and leaderboards in season mode, although simulating a game (to skip a game you don't take part in) takes way too long. FWIW, the SNES sequel has much faster simulated games and much more stat-tracking categories.

Protips:
-Up your character's speed trait to 55 (the max) and bunt your way on every time.

-Give a pitcher 30-30 in L-R curve, with no added velocity, and gain the ability to throw the ball around the batter's BACK and still cross the plate for a strike. Awesome if you want to go for the strikeout title. :lol

-Up your catcher's defense to the max (not sure what the max is) and he'll snag EVERY foul ball hit behind him for an automatic out.

3) Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball

Judging by the price of this game on eBay, not too many people knew about this game back in the day. Awesome game though. I still own the cart.

Basically, you get a whole bunch of kids to choose a team from. You pick teams with your opponent, one-by-one (schoolyard-style) and then choose what position each player is going to play. Each kid has their own characteristics (some run fast, some have good arms, etc.). You'll find that some kids are better meant to pitch, play the outfield, etc. This game has a kid that looks like Satan and swings a spiked bat. One of the people you can pick is a janitor who swings a broom at the plate (no joke), and one of the kids runs like a frog, hopping.

What sets this game apart, other than the above, are the parks you can play in. This game really has that pick-up game feel to it. One field you play on is at the edge of a cliff, where one side of the outfield is actually a fenced-off ledge (!) and if the balls rolls under the fence and down the cliff, it's a ground-rule double. Another field is a schoolyard. One side of the outfield is the school building. If you hit the ball there and break a window it's an automatic out. Another field is the city park, a field that has lots of rocks and trees scattered around the field (just like a regular neighborhood pickup-game area would have). Not sure what other parks there are, but I think there are a few more.

Other games worth mentioning (besides the obvious, like RBI and Bases Loaded):

- Little League Baseball (Kids. Aluminum bats!)

- Bad News Baseball (Another baseball game with kids. Cut scenes! Rabbit umpires!)

- MLB Baseball.
One of the most high-scoring baseball games ever made, as there is no 10-run rule. Annoying how the screen flashes completely green for a brief second after any sort of contact is made though.

- Base Wars (Robotic baseball!)

I absolutely loved playing Baseball Simulator 1.000 without the crazy stuff, just the regular game. I would play 60 game seasons, controlling an entire custom league of 6 teams, great stat keeping for an NES game. I loved that game.

tuco11

Bases loaded was made by Jaleco. I loved how each team had their big hitter .. i.e Philly had Oko, NJ had Paste and Bay. :lol Philly also had a big gray haired pitcher named Carr. Good times :lol

tuco11 said:
Bases loaded was made by Jaleco. I loved how each team had their big hitter .. i.e Philly had Oko, NJ had Paste and Bay. :lol Philly also had a big gray haired pitcher named Carr. Good times :lol

I somehow vaguely remember players getting beaned and then charging the mound.....was this the game?

http://dee-nee.com/rbi/ - one of my favorite websites.

Julio Franco is the only RBI'er currently active in the majors! Oh noes!

Baseball Stars > RBI... but RBI is more fun to pick up and play with a friend unless you've both built sweet teams in Baseball Stars. Screw the default teams.

Alex Anderson said:
http://dee-nee.com/rbi/ - one of my favorite websites.

Julio Franco is the only RBI'er currently active in the majors! Oh noes!

Baseball Stars > RBI... but RBI is more fun to pick up and play with a friend unless you've both built sweet teams in Baseball Stars. Screw the default teams.

I'm pretty sure Julio Franco is actually a vampire who has been alive for several thousand years. He's sitting in the third position to the left of Jesus in the last supper painting.

ToxicAdam

Fuck yes. Someone propped up Dusty Diamonds Softball. Awesome game.

RBI Baseball is my favorite in the series. Only because it was unmatched at the time it was released. It was like Baseball in concentrate form. It definitely had alot of balance issues, but once you learned them, you could ban them or work around them. I must have played 3000 games of it when I was younger.

By the time, RBI2 came out, Jaleco released Bases Loaded ... which was a superior game. So, I gravitated more towards that.

Ronabo

I loved playing Little League World Series back in the day.

I used to humiliate a friend by always playing as Italy.

Thanks to this thread I' now enjoying R.B.I with updated rosters.

Meier

Ronabo said:
I loved playing Little League World Series back in the day.

I used to humiliate a friend by always playing as Italy.

Thanks to this thread I' now enjoying R.B.I with updated rosters.

Cant believe that I remember this... but, I used to play as Spain and would sub in some super fast kid to hit first or second (tall/thin) and always bunt, then I remember there 3 or 4 hitter was one of the short/fat kids who I'd crank HRs with. I loved that game. :lol

Jado

Banned
That video was hilarious, except for the end. Can't the ball roll under the players' legs in RBI baseball or am I remembering wrong? Anyway, that was a blast as was Bases Loaded. Major League Baseball was okay, but for me it was kinda dull compared to the other two.

It sucks that I can't get into sports games nowadays because I enjoyed numerous of them during the NES days. =/

Kifimbo

3) Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball

Judging by the price of this game on eBay, not too many people knew about this game back in the day. Awesome game though. I still own the cart.

Basically, you get a whole bunch of kids to choose a team from. You pick teams with your opponent, one-by-one (schoolyard-style) and then choose what position each player is going to play. Each kid has their own characteristics (some run fast, some have good arms, etc.). You'll find that some kids are better meant to pitch, play the outfield, etc. This game has a kid that looks like Satan and swings a spiked bat. One of the people you can pick is a janitor who swings a broom at the plate (no joke), and one of the kids runs like a frog, hopping.

What sets this game apart, other than the above, are the parks you can play in. This game really has that pick-up game feel to it. One field you play on is at the edge of a cliff, where one side of the outfield is actually a fenced-off ledge (!) and if the balls rolls under the fence and down the cliff, it's a ground-rule double. Another field is a schoolyard. One side of the outfield is the school building. If you hit the ball there and break a window it's an automatic out. Another field is the city park, a field that has lots of rocks and trees scattered around the field (just like a regular neighborhood pickup-game area would have). Not sure what other parks there are, but I think there are a few more.

OMG thank you, I forgot the title of that game and couldn't find it by myself.

Top Bottom