• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonnie Ross' (Head of 343i) Response to the Haggar Project (Halo Mega Bloks)

Posted over on Waypoint

Over the past few days, footage has recently made the rounds of an exploratory Xbox 360 project we worked on several years ago, known as ”Haggar." Since then, we've received a lot of great feedback from the community. Haggar was something we prototyped with our friends at Mega Bloks that focused on the elements of action, exploration and user creativity found within the Halo universe. Haggar had a lot of fun ideas and invention behind it, but ultimately didn't progress beyond the early prototyping levels that are shown in the recent video. This is just one example of several similar projects we have evaluated throughout the years – a process that we continue exploring on an ongoing basis.

You should link my video too, so people know what you're talking about. Rare to have someone that high up comment on anything I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZB8d11d9go

It was doomed due it being interesting and cool.

sadly if they did try to make another blocks game it would be different to haggar and people would complain, they are in a pickle.

I wish they went ahead with this project. I could see myself playing with my son.

It looked slow but it also looked entertaining, fun and had more charm in it then halo has had in the last several years.

Sephzilla

After Scalebound comes out

ajQknf2.gif

brad-t

Wow, I worked in marketing at Mega Bloks around the time this was made, and Halo was probably my biggest project. I had no idea this existed and never heard anyone mention it. Very well kept secret. I wonder why it suddenly appeared now.

Borman

Wow, I worked in marketing at Mega Bloks around the time this was made, and Halo was probably my biggest project. I had no idea this existed and never heard anyone mention it. Very well kept secret. I wonder why it suddenly appeared now.

The company making it went belly-up in 2016 unfortunately. Little things leaked out. It was actually missed, the existence could have been known from other sources but nothing quite like this.

Hexer06

This actually looks a lot better than I thought it would. There was a LOT of content done, too it seemed. I would actually play this, especially with friends. I could see this being really family friendly as well.

Vimes

Am I the only one who automatically assumed a Mega Bloks game had to be an inferior clone of a Lego game?

I mentioned this in the other thread, but watching the video I was surprised to see a visual consistency that is sorely lacking from the Lego games. I wish Traveller's Tales would dial back on the realistic textures and environments, it's really jarring against the Lego characters and objects.

mclem

How unfortunate. Despite it being a Halo game codenamed Haggar, they didn't Finish the
(Final)
Fight

Kinda feel like N-Space could've gotten a shout out there too, but very cool that Ross & 343 decided to address it at all, I'm impressed.

Cyndra

Banned
Very cool of her to give a comment regarding the project. While not much similar leaks are met with silence from other publishers and developers.

With a big IP like Halo I'd be interested to see other projects that have been scrapped.

psyfi

Banned
I'd love to see the mainline Halo games take on some of that cartoony art style. Especially in the environment art. The series could really use a visual refresh.

wwm0nkey

Really didn't expect them to address this. Wonder if it could get resurrected since the word of mouth is actually pretty positive or at least something similar.

Akai__

several similar projects we have evaluated throughout the years – a process that we continue exploring on an ongoing basis

Now I'm really curious how many projects there actually were.

Van Bur3n

Bonnie Ross...or some say head of 343 Industries. Do you hear our prayers? Grant us Mega Bloks. Grant us MEGA BLOKS.

Apdiddy

Bonnie Ross...or some say head of 343 Industries. Do you hear our prayers? Grant us Mega Bloks. Grant us MEGA BLOKS.

Now I'm waking up, I'll forget everything. Including Scalebound.
Please no Bloodborne clone on Xbox One.

I really hope Scalebound and Fable get reborn on PC or PS4.

Apdiddy

You really hope Microsoft owned IPs get reborn on PlayStation?
Good luck

They don't have to be called "Scalebound" or "Fable," but be spiritual successors to those games.

Still -- you raise a great point. It's unrealistic to expect Sony to pick up everything and publish everything or swoop in and rescue doomed projects.

Top Bottom