• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay. What the f*ck is going on with Wii U hard locks.

Dartastic

I'm at two for today. First one was ten minutes into Assassins Creed 3. The second was while I was playing 4 player Metroid Blast. What. The. Fuck. The system should not be locking up this much.

I'm at two for today. First one was ten minutes into Assassins Creed 3. The second was while I was playing 4 player Metroid Blast. What. The. Fuck. The system should not be locking up this much.

I guess I've been lucky. Hopefully an update will release soon.

totowhoa

Banned
That sucks OP. Have people been reporting this elsewhere?

I guess I've been lucky. Hopefully an update will release soon.

Still downloading the first one atm.

I would have skipped it if I'd realized it was going to take so long. Should have been paying attention to GAF.

I just got my first one, 30 minutes into playing nintendo land. It froze and there was a semi-loud tone coming out of the gamepad.

I had to pull the plug, seems fine now.

tenchir

The first patch just came out yesterday for a new OS that's been rushed out to meet some deadline, there is bound to be bugs. I expect them to fix this issue eventually.

I have only experience one lock so far and it was after patching Nintendoland, the screen just stayed on the Nintendoland main screen looping.

dvolovets

Locked on DK's Crash Course in Nintendoland (how appropriate), wouldn't even respond to the power button... had to pull the plug on it.

Kame

CONFIRMED.

What the fuck is going on, seriously?

I bought my new Wii U just yesterday, been messing with it today since it's my day off.

Had 3 -- THREE freezes that required me to manually reset the whole console by unplugging it from the wall.

First time was trying to access the Settings menu
Second was in mid-game and controller froze along with the TV screen
Third was when accessing Miiverse.

Nintendo, what is this shit?

Justin

On the giantbomb stream it hard locked when trying to load Mario. They had to pull the power to get it to restart.

Linkhero1

Had this happen during Tekken loading screen. You can't even turn off the console manually so you have to actually pull the plug in order to get out of this. It's annoying.

Ranger X

Man, this have been a busy weekend of WiiU threads and not many are positive. This helps me greatly into restraining myself from buying it at launch! (I mean, tks guys!)

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, one did happen to me but it was because I hit the disc eject button right after NSMBU finished patching and showed its splash screen.

As long as these aren't hardware problems i'm happy to wait it out. I have endless piles of games to play on all platforms to keep me busy if it came to that.

Effect

Had the system freeze twice on me. Unplugging it seemed to fix it. Hopefully they address it. It's such a weird freeze though. It happen when nothing was actually happening. I was just loading up a game.

Kame

Well as a guinea pig for launch this are my thoughts;

I really think Nintendo should have really delayed this console after witnessing it's problems. For the lack of better word, this is definitely under-cooked and had been rushed.

I'm just hoping that over time this will get fixed with remedy patches, but as of now I am a very unsatisfied customer with this console.

Mrbob

Thankfully, I haven't had any lock ups yet but this has definitely been an un-Nintendo-like launch. Way too many issues.

skullflame

Neo Member
For me it was booting Netflix, second while shortly playing Mario U. After though, had a long group session after and worked fine.

Effect

I honestly don't think the system was rushed or undercooked at all. I think they weren't able to stress test anything resembling anything close to a launch. Thus issues have appeared. As for games and the system being "undercooked", exclusive launch games (that aren't getting AAA budgets because they're launch games) and ports aren't the best to judge a system's potential. Wait until there is a game that is purposefully pushing graphics, set pieces, etc and 100% designed for the system. There is no game like that at launch and likely won't even show up until sometime next year. I fully expect there to be more updates to the OS, as there should be. I just hope Nintendo is fast with them so menus load quicker.

Spazznid

I like it. Reminds me of my PS3.

hehehehehehehe

I honestly don't think the system was rushed or undercooked at all. I think they weren't able to stress test anything resembling anything close to a launch. Thus issues have appeared. As for games and the system being "undercooked", exclusive launch games (that aren't getting AAA budgets because they're launch games) and ports aren't the best to judge a system's potential. Wait until there is a game that is purposefully pushing graphics, set pieces, etc and 100% designed for the system. There is no game like that at launch and likely won't even show up until sometime next year. I fully expect there to be more updates to the OS, as there should be. I just hope Nintendo is fast with them so menus load quicker.

I agree.
Wait for the next "Xenoblade", or the next "Galaxy", or the next Metroid to guage what the system can do.

KissVibes

Banned
Nintendo just wants to make sure you really want to keep playing. It's like the little message that pops up in Korean MMOs telling you to take a break. Only this one is more involved since you gotta get up and physically do something. It's a good substitute until Wii Fit U comes out.

PBY

Banned

so you're saying its undercooked

Effect

I agree.
Wait for the next "Xenoblade", or the next "Galaxy", or the next Metroid to guage what the system can do.

Exactly. People need to have some patience. Nintendo is trying to do a lot here I think. I'm willing to give them some time. However I would like the freezing thing addressed asap. Having to send my system into repair if a freeze does some damage is going to be really annoying.

The system is bought. I'm not going to sell it. Like all expensive hardware, I'm in it for the long haul. I said before the next system I buy was just going to be Nintendo's because of their IPs. Made it, will live with it, and even though there are problems I'm happy at the moment. I never expected the Wii U's equivalent of Galaxy, Uncharted, Halo to show up day one, certainly not from a 3rd party developer either.

Hmm... no lockups so far. Been playing lots of NintendoLand with the wife and spent a couple hours on netflix.

As for miiverse, no problems beside the fact that "in game" integration (like that of NintendoLand) seems to still not be working, though I can go to the community pages for the different games fine.

Kame

As much as I would like to agree with you, most of your statements lead to the definition of 'under-cooked'.

Sorry mate.

Might return my Wii U later. Pretty sure I still have that 1 week open box policy.

Effect

I had my first freeze around the time GiantBomb had theirs. As did others in the thread when it was commented on. I wonder if it was directly related to Miiverse related.

Wonder if anyone that didn't have their system connected to the internet has had any freezes yet.

Top Bottom