• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series in which you went from rabid fan to having a casual interest. What lost you?

entremet

I used to be a huge FF fan, starting with the first American release, on to FFIV, VI, VII, VIII, and so on.

And while I did enjoy FFXIII, unlike most, I think it left me cold. I bought XV but the old school MMO-like feel with shitty quests and horrible battle system didn't grab me. I may try the XII remaster as I couldn't get into that originally on PS2, mostly due to the 360 hype at the time.

But I do remember devouring FF pre-release content. I gave up with XV, back in the Nomura days when it was called Versus. Maybe the 10 year reveal did that lol.

I heard the MMO is great, but I'm not an MMO guy. I still revisit the SNES and PS1 games a lot. They're great games, both trilogies. I also really enjoyed X recently via the Vita remaster. But these days it's mostly, eh. And with FFVIIr being announced too early again, it's really hard to get hyped with this series. Not to mention going to an action based battle system. FFXV soured me on that. I know it can be done well, but FF has always been a menu driven game series to me. Oh well.

Again, this is not abandoning a franchise, just downgrading your interest.

Interestingly, as a side discussion, has a series won you back to fervent interest too?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Metal Gear Solid lost me after 4.

I still love MGSV as a game. Peacewalker is a pretty good portable title. Portable Ops was good too, but it suffered from shoehorning in Gray Fox and then being made sort-of-not-canon. But the magic ended at 4, and, to be honest, I could already feel it waning in that game.

I used to adore the series. MGS1/2/3 are still some of the greatest games I've ever played, and 4 is up there. But the rest are just "good games," having nothing that leaves me thinking about them days or months or years later like the others.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Tomb Raider. I slowly started to lose interest with each Crystal Dynamics iteration, and after Rise of the Tomb Raider I cant see myself getting super hyped for the next game the way I used to.

beta_fuse

Mass Effect - Best game was 2, then we all know what happened with 3 and Andromeda.

NHL - stopped playing after NHL 10 because it was too similar to previous versions.

COD - Stopped after Black Ops. Just felt the games were becoming rinse and repeat with a different setting. Plus it was getting too hectic.

Paper Mario- loved the first 2 and enjoyed SPM but since then the series has changed for the worst. Still charming as ever but the battle system is a chore. I want back the RPG elements that made the originals so fun.

I'm sure there are more but this is what I can think of at the moment. Also I Just realized 3/4 of my choices are EA properties.

Strings

Final Fantasy to a degree, yeah, but I'm still pretty hyped when it comes to spin-offs like World of Final Fantasy, and when I trust the lead creatives on the mainline title.

Fire Emblem is another series that has really knocked my enthusiasm for it back. Awakening was okay at best, while Fates as an overall package sucked, and Shadows of Valentia was again, decent at best. Heroes was a gacha game with next to no depth, and Warriors is looking super dodgy too.

Umm... Some others:

Disgaea - I can only play the same game with slightly better mechanics and significantly worse writing so many times...

Both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi. M&L to a lesser extent - those games are just mediocre now - while the last two Paper Mario titles have been bad games (even if the scenarios in Colour Splash are plenty creative, the actual game parts suck away all the fun).

Every single one, knowing too much of a game can sometimes ruin the experience, let alone the fact that you can set your expectations too high and be massively let down with the end result

gelf

Resident Evil switching to over the shoulder shooters really reduced my interest in the series. I liked RE4 somewhat but it's not something I'm really after and the sequels went even further away from what I enjoyed. I liked the classic games more as horror adventures then for the shooting which was pretty basic and more about ammo management and I was happy with that.

CookTrain

Also on the Halo wagon. 3 was one of my biggest excitements in gaming... and then everything sort of went off the rails. Halo 5 hammered the nail so deep, I don't think 343 are making games to my taste any more.

Final Fantasy started to lose me when FF7 went all sci-fi shit. It briefly regained my interest with FF12, but it's dead to me now. It's like Squeenix wants me to forget it exists.

Resident Evil jumped a big shark (avatar quote, har har) with Resident Evil 4. It's been steadily improving since then, but man, I don't know if I'll ever love it the way I did before RE4 came out.

Nosgotham

souls games and resident evil. resident evil should be obvious. after 5...i just completely lost interest.

i was a rabid souls fan but dark souls 2 lost md. i still put 180 hours into but i never even finished. the world was such a huge step down from demons and dks1. i never even picked up 3. dks2 completely deflated my anticipation of new releases in the series

edit.
halo! yes!3 was the pinnacle of the series and then they started making terrible decisions like perks and sets, basically chasing the COD crowd. halo 5 was fun but it doesn't feel like halo in the same way that 2 and 3 felt. slayer in 5 is so fast and frenetic. its just different and in my opinion not great

mrmickfran

Danganronpa

Liked 1 & 2, then Another Episode and 3 provided a one-two punch to kill my interest in the series.

Only getting V3 since it doesn't look like I'm getting an Ace Attorney game soon.

Indelible

Final Fantasy, loved the series up until XII but I slowly started to lose interest with the entire XIII trilogy. It has gotten to the point that I can't even find the motivation to play through XV eventhough I have owned it since release.

I was the biggest Metal Gear fan in the world up until MGS4. But that ending was such a bombastic, cathartic blowout of every series loose end and plot point and provided such a concrete sense of finale that I just didn't WANT any more Metal Gear. I went through every stage of grief through the run time of that game and passed through the other side content that the series was effectively "over".

But then the games just kept coming and I've found it hard to muster any real enthusiasm about them. Rising was a nice change of pace but Peace Walker and V just felt unnecessary. It's like if someone found a missing movement that came after the 1812 Overture. Sure, that's interesting, but can, or should, anything really follow that? It doesn't help that rather than create anything new (like Rising), Peace Walker and V content themselves on just filling in unnecessary blanks and creating more and more pointless context to overcomplicate the plot. They are still good games, I liked them quite a bit, but MG is basically over for me

Beth Cyra

Metal gear Solid - i loved it until 3.

I don't buy into the Boss being a great character, I think her addition and becoming the whole crutch of the series was awful and I didn't like how they made it so Snake and Big Boss where nearly the same character in a ton of ways.

Zelda -But mainly for OT and TP as I don't like the Cel art style and now the open world design.

MGS series - MGS was amazing, then the MGS2 turd was released

Halo series - Halo:CE blew my mind, Halo 2's campaign killed my interest in SP, but MP still great, then Halo 3 was just OK all around, then ODST made me realize I was over the series

Final Fantasy series - Final Fantasy IV made me a fan, Final Fantasy VIII killed half my interest, Final Fantasy X murdered the rest

Fire Emblem. I still enjoy them very much , but they aren't day one buys anymore. Which is very odd to me since SRPGs are one of my favorite genres. I still haven't picked up the newest one . I'm sure the game is good. I plan on getting it , just don't feel the need for it right now.

Superkewl

Mass Effect: The first one was the only I really liked. Didn't like how the series devoled into a corridor shooter.

Dragon Age: First game was a great RPG, then series devolved in to a button mashy mess.

Jamix012

Honestly? 3D Super Mario for a while. I'm pulled WAAAY back in with odyssey, but while the galaxies and 3D lands/worlds were good, I MUCH preferred Sunshine and 64. As such, I went from Mario crazy to kind of Mario moderate.

Total War series. I just got fed up with the half finished products after Rome II. Pretty much all titles after M2TW were bad, with Shogun II being so-so. I think the new Warhammer titles are an improvement, but I just don't care about that franchise one bit, so I'm waiting for another historical title to check back. I still think those games are better bought a year after launch due to how buggy they launch.

Mass Effect. I like 3 and was waiting for Andromeda but they couldn't light my interest when the time to show the story came. After that, the poor reception just buried it. So far I have the EA Access free trial untouched, I'll play it when it is added to the vault.
I still love Bioware and I'm eagerly waiting the next dragon age, Anthem not so much.

Also Zelda, not because of the series itself my because of Nintendo. My last Zelda was Twilight Princess which I liked a lot back then but, in retrospective, it was a very forgetable game. Then, Wii onwards Nintendo decisions made me lost interest in the platform in mobile and home. I still have a WiiU (I regret) and a friend lend me Zelda. I'll probably play it this month but I'm no longer a rabid Zelda fan.
Ocarina is still my favorite game ever.

Persona 5 did this to me for a couple Atlus series. Not implying the game was bad, mind you, just that it was a tipping point for me. I didn't mind the delays, you gotta make a good game good. I didn't mind the localization delay, that's a really tough job too. But then the game came out, and it still felt like it needed more time. It was the first time for me that I felt the schism between Atlus JP and Atlus USA in a game, rather than just reading about the business side of things in between releases. And that tempered my interest in future Atlus games, because if this was how things would be going forward I didn't want to go into each game excited.

sikkinixx

Same as you OP. Final fantasy 7 to 9 (and tactics) were just amazing experiences for me as a teenager. 10 was great looking, my favourite battle system but the story was meh, the lack of a real overworld bugged me and the Tidus was terrible. But it's okay I thought. 11 will get it right. Oh. Wait. 11 is an online thing? ...

Then FFX-2 stepped up the battle system and job system, which was great, but the super anime j pop stuff was realllll bad.

12 was amazing and I had hope for the future. Then 13, 14 being an MMO and 15 being meh has basically killed the series.

I started with Final Fantasy during the PS1 era and I was a huge fan up to X. And then I played the massively disappointing XII and ever since then I've felt those glory days have become more and more distant. Once upon a time, a new mainline FF coming out was an event. Now after XII, XIII, XV and a couple of MMOs that I really don't care about, it doesn't have nearly the same significance.

mindsale

Hearthstone - Bliz never addressed any issues in a timely manner.

Fire Emblem - Got burnt out from Heroes. Also the tedium of permadeath (on, say, Path of Radiance) really killed my interest in the tactics.

Dead Space / Mass Effect / Final Fantasy - mediocre entries killed brand quality for me.

XCOM - XCOM 2 was a buggy mess. Had to leave my PS4 on for twenty four hours to bypass an issue to commence the final mission. Now I've no interest in its DLC or subsequent games unless they change engines.

Definitely Tomb Raider. The classic games are very dear to my heart, but I don't care for Crystal Dynamics take on the series. Everything from the atmosphere to the gameplay and Lara herself were better in the original games IMO.

compo

Banned
I don't know if this counts, but Team Fortress 2. I got sucked into trading in that game a bit, so I used to love when new items were released and I got to expand my collection more. Plus the game was great too. But there was something about the update that allowed skins on weapons that was just completely uninteresting to me. Then the matchmaking update happened, and that one completely lost me, as a casual player.

I'm still a bit sad about falling out of that game. I haven't played it in a year.

ASaiyan

Banned
The original Paper Mario is one of my favorite games of all time. TTYD was similarly great.

Then for the next game they decided to do some action platforming spinoff, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but it wasn't a "Paper Mario" game to me. Then we finally got two new entries on 3DS and Wii U that brought back a turn-based battle system, but...not much else, imo.

I still watch for new announcements in the small hope things go back to the way they once were, but the Paper Mario is pretty much dead to me.

RM8

Maybe Fire Emblem. The series is simply not the same in tone and design philosophy and I simply don't care about it anymore. I still need to play Echoes, though.

sublimit

Banned
I used to be a massive Tomb Raider fan.I had played the Core Design games multiple times (except AoD which i only played once) and i never seemed to get bored by their gameplay.Even today whenever i replay them i'm always amazed by how original and unique those games still are.Incredible level designs that rewarded risk and exploration,precision based platforming that immersed the player in a way that no other game has managed to achieve since then,great atmosphere that cleverly used silence and ambient sounds and some of the most iconic music ever created for a series.

However ever since Crystal Dynamics took over everything went to shit even though they had 10 times the budget (with Legend) Core Design ever had.Gone were the intricate level designs and platforming,the atmosphere and the iconic music,everything was sacrificed in the altar of braindead action,QTEs,incredibly linear levels,white ledges and insultingly easy puzzles.It was a completely different design philosophy from that of Core Design.But at least until Underworld they were still trying to make a Tomb Raider game even if they were failing miserably.

Then came the Reboot and for me that was that last nail in the coffin.Tomb Raider had become a faceless copycat,a checklist of everything that was hot in the industry,and Crystal proved that they had no respect to the classic gameplay and classic Lara.

The reboot made me loose any (small) interest that i still had in playing another Tomb Raider game from Crystal Dynamics and everything i have seen from RoTR make me feel that this is "Tomb Raider" only in name.

Zackat

Assassin's Creed with 3. I don't even know why but after that game I was done.

I am gonna give the new one a shot though.

I wouldn't say I'm a rabid fan, since I'm a relative newcomer to the series (only since Awakening), but I think Heroes might have killed my interest in Fire Emblem. By the time Echoes came out, I wasn't sure if I really wanted to play more FE, even if it was the real thing this time. I'm only a few hours into the game (still in the first chapter), and it hasn't really grabbed my attention. It's not even in my 3DS anymore; Ever Oasis has taken its place.

120v

yup, Final Fantasy. used to be the creme de la creme of gaming to me.

it's not so much the series that lost me though, i just grew into western RPGs. elder scrolls in particular blew my head wide open on what an RPG can be and i don't think i can ever really go back

that said after FFIX i felt the writing took a nosedive and the series was aimed at younger audience in general. though i am one of the ones who actually liked FFXV in spite of its issues, and i think SE is more or less back on course with the mainline games, they just need to iron out their development trajectory

Top Bottom