• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 is the best survival horror game since Silent Hill 2

BadWolf

I played all the original Silent Hill games upon release and in a row and still somehow thought 4 was almost unplayably power-janky. That says a lot after going through the first 3 meaning that I didn't expect an Action game by any stretch.

I never made it more than a few hours into 4, it felt extremely unwieldy to me back then. That being said, not sure if I'm still right and maybe in hindsight it's a cool game?

Yeah the gameplay is what people seem to have the most issue with.

Thorgal

Nope

tumblr_m1cswzwBC51r7un3co1_500.gif

on one hand i would say this .

On the other hand screw this game for only being Beatable with a guide .

J3nga

While I've really liked TEW2, I think SH2's story kicks the shit out of TEW2's story any time of the week, that doesn't mean it has a bad story, it's a decent story for that type of game with quite weak antagonists.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

UrbanRats

My biggest gripe is how sluggish the gunplay feels in comparison to the first one.
Reminds me of pre-patch uncharted 3.

The arenas with enemy waves were my favorite parts in EW1, but in this one, they're just no fun, for the above reason.

I lack fine control on the aiming, so i just have to hope one of their heads will line up with my crosshair, which, with the erratic animations these zombies have, is sort of rare.

With the mouse is somewhat better, but still doesn't feel as fluid as the first one.

Beyond aiming, movement is improved for sure, but it's still not to the level were i would call it good.
Evading enemies with their bullshit hit boxes is still a crapshoot.

This shit HAD to be fixed in the sequel, so i'm less willing to forgive it this time around.

They also improved the stealth, but over all, it's still clunky and shitty.
Worse than something like, say, Last of Us (which itself it's not exactly Splinter Cell).
Seriously, it's 2017, time to retire the sticky covers.

I'm still in Chapter 12, but so far, it feels like it made baby steps in polishing up the first game, with some steps backwards, all the while fucking with the neck breaking pace it had going for it to add a questionable open design (which admittedly does introduce some cool ideas) and just feels less interesting, varied and peculiar.

But i want to finish before giving a verdict.

So far, as i said, i'd say it's a step down from the original, though it's still worth playing for sure, as the genre is not exactly crowded.

Honorable mention for not having to mod the horrible FOV, this time around, though.

A lot more people would have enjoyed TEW1's story if they didn't cut out the Kidman portion into DLC. It should absolutely have been part of the main game.

I agree completely--they should have gone back and forth with characters and had the story intertwine in TEW1.

I think RE4 and Dead Space are still better than TEW series although I have to agree OP TEW2 is one of the better survival horror experiences in recent years and everyone should give it a playthrough.

BadWolf

While I've really liked TEW2, I think SH2's story kicks the shit out of TEW2's story any time of the week, that doesn't mean it has a bad story, it's a decent story for that type of game with quite weak antagonists.

SH2's story kicks the shit of of most game's stories, not just TEW2.

Yeah the gameplay is what people seem to have the most issue with.

I have a controversial opinion that Silent Hill 4's second half is better than its first half. There are two major game design sins committed in the game's second half (repeating levels, and a companion character with you who can take damage (though cannot die).

However, I think all the second versions of the Worlds are much better and more interesting/switched up than the first visit versions (with the exception of Water Prison and maybe the Apartments are up for debate), having to protect Eileen becomes negligible when you realize you can place a holy candle down next to her to completely heal her for the good ending if you want that (or to get rid of her being cursed), the second half of the game has the haunted apartment, the fantastic 'new' ghost stalkers, and the story really begins kicking into gear. I replayed the start of SH4 multiple times over the years and never finished it, but eventually went to it and got further than before and began getting hooked when I got to the game's second half.

I just remember facing those fucking dogs or whatever they were and immediately wanting to break the disc in frustration about 30 minutes in. Trying to hit one of them with whatever poor swinging weapon you have is almost impossible. I remember your character moving so absolutely horribly that it made the first 3 games feel like Doom in comparison.

Maybe I was just burnt out and didn't have the patience for the genre anymore at that time, but I remember literally hating Silent Hill 4 back in the day.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

kromeo

My only memory of SH 4 is the PC version having a load of bugs and getting stuck on the wall in the shopping mall and quitting, need to go back to that when I get a chance

Duxxy3

My biggest gripe is how sluggish the gunplay feels in comparison to the first one.
Reminds me of pre-patch uncharted 3.

The arenas with enemy waves were my favorite parts in EW1, but in this one, they're just no fun, for the above reason.

I lack fine control on the aiming, so i just have to hope one of their heads will line up with my crosshair, which, with the erratic animations these zombies have, is sort of rare.

With the mouse is somewhat better, but still doesn't feel as fluid as the first one.

Beyond aiming, movement is improved for sure, but it's still not to the level were i would call it good.
Evading enemies with their bullshit hit boxes is still a crapshoot.

This shit HAD to be fixed in the sequel, so i'm less willing to forgive it this time around.

They also improved the stealth, but over all, it's still clunky and shitty.
Worse than something like, say, Last of Us (which itself it's not exactly Splinter Cell).
Seriously, it's 2017, time to retire the sticky covers.

I'm still in Chapter 12, but so far, it feels like it made baby steps in polishing up the first game, with some steps backwards, all the while fucking with the neck breaking pace it had going for it to add a questionable open design (which admittedly does introduce some cool ideas) and just feels less interesting, varied and peculiar.

But i want to finish before giving a verdict.

So far, as i said, i'd say it's a step down from the original, though it's still worth playing for sure, as the genre is not exactly crowded.

Honorable mention for not having to mod the horrible FOV, this time around, though.

I have no idea why they went with sticky cover. Crouch cover worked fine in the first game. Sticky cover is just so clunky.

Wink

Tbh I think the tension and discomfort in the first game put a lot of people off, they laid it on a little too thick. Don't think the direction of the game would have been different even if Mikami was the director.

It's rather obvious that the first game was pushing for this dense, impenetrable angle to the psychological pressure applied to players.
Speculating: I think it's possibly because of the change in direction that was decided upon this criticism of the first one that Mikami didn't return as director, knowing that the changes to the formula that had to be implemented by the markets response did not chive with his, let's call it vision.
I don't wanna fanboy out too much here, but I really think Mikami as a director could elevate any design concept. While him as producer is a visible influence on TEW2, it doesn't feel like his game.

rtcn63

I just remember facing those fucking dogs or whatever they were and immediately wanting to break the disc in frustration about 30 minutes in. Trying to hit one of them with whatever poor swinging weapon you have is almost impossible. I remember your character moving so absolutely horribly that it made the first 3 games feel like Doom in comparison.

Maybe I was just burnt out and didn't have the patience for the genre anymore at that time, but I remember literally hating Silent Hill 4 back in the day.

The SH games were not great when it came to gameplay (combat) sadly. Homecoming tried to remedy this somewhat (it was still clunky) and people complained it made the game too easy...

Dusk Golem

Sorry no. It seems you haven't played so many horror games to come up with such conclusion. It is true that TEW2 is nice step up from the first game but not to the extent of saying it is the best current horror game. They got inspirations from many horror games and especially Silent Hill i.e the whole Union town design, the monster designs,
the black ghostly figures and the search for Sebastian's lost daughter.
. You can snatch or literally "steal" an idea or concept of a game and make it work in your own game. The best example is Resident Evil VII that copied P.T. Concept and further developed it into whole game and succeeded in doing so (eventhough that this concept showed its limitations by falling in repetitiveness since Silent Hills wasn't supposed to be stuck in very narrow and close setting or house and playing in FPV all the time).
The problem with TW2 is not just copying ideas from other games, it felt into throwing old random horror games' cliches and waste that got overused over the past years without risking coming up with any new idea for the genre.
The game may have a great formula and balance of stealth, action, rudimentary (and expected cheap) jump scares, decent story, plethora of overused horror cliches which makes it a good and enjoyable experience but to say that this the horror game of the decade is really a tremendous exaggeration. The game would be very lucky to be remembered until the next year at most.

BadWolf

Did you upgrade the aiming accuracy thing for Sebastian?

I got two of those and the game was honestly critical head shot city for me. It's pretty much all I did. Even laughed at one point since one of the fire dudes started running at me while hiding his head with his arms lol.

''not just TEW2''

and yet ''TEW2 is the best survival horror game since SH2''? what the hell is that logic?

Is this title just clickbait?

Read the edit at the very top of the first post. I would have changed the title but it was too late.

UrbanRats

I can see where this argument is coming if you just used the basic handgun, but some of the character and weapon upgrades do really help even with those, some of the alternative handguns even just alone are better (I loved the revolver), and other weapons outside of the handgun are fantastic in my opinion (the shotguns in this game are amazing, the sniper is good, and the Agony Crossbow is great), I just can't agree at all.

Then you also have some on the fly strategies you can put into play like this: https://a.pomf.cat/sqxorj.webm

Handgun is the one weapon that requires fine aiming in frantic moments, and it's the base weapon in the game (the one with more variations, too), i think it's fair to judge the aiming with it.
The shotgun felt good in the first game too, but it's hard to make a claim on fluidity with it, when the spread takes up 50% of the screen anyway (so you don't really need to aim at all).

I'll say the Agony CB feels somewhat better though, if anything because switching bolts is streamlined.

I don't find that webm particularly impressive at all, it's basically the exploiting that happened in RE4 with the kicks.
But it reminds me that exploiting the dumb AI and stealth kills is really the best weapon in this game.
run around a box and crouch, and they'll forget about you long enough to let you perform a stealth kill on them.

Did you upgrade the aiming accuracy thing for Sebastian?

I got two of those and the game was honestly critical head shot city for me. It's pretty much all I did. Even laughed at one point since one of the fire dudes started running at my while hiding his head with his arms lol.

You mean weapon swaying? Yeah, go that maxed out.
It's funny 'cause in the shooting gallery i can pull off headshots pretty well (but that's with fairly static targets).

And in EW1 i also pulled off headshots a LOT, to the point where i was asking myself if there wasn't something broken with the game.

Wink

Mikami was saying since before even the first game released TEW1 would be one of his last directorial things and he wanted more to manage the studio and just work on the projects and let younger talent at Tango shine. I think that's simply the reason, Mikami made Tango not so he could direct whatever he wanted but because he wanted to run a studio to help out younger growing talent.

I remember something like that and it's admirable and important to do that. I'm just such a fan of the games he directed that I wish he would just have them learn by observing and doing shit himself ;)

Let's just talk about gameplay

The basic control of TEW2 is heavy and sluggish. Turning, crouching and running are all slower than the first game and has a momentum to it, it's obvious that the new director John Johanas wants to mimic that The Last of Us feel but just didn't quite pull it off here.

The first game may have stiff animation but the control is very responsive, Sebastian never does anything you don't want him to do and every command has a solid feedback to it, there was never a input delay like in TEW2.  

Sometimes when you swap weapon really fast and then aim, Sebastian's arm would glitch out too, sometimes even prevent you from shoot all together, this never happened in the first TEW1. The whole control of TEW2 feels like a car that can only run and turn slowly, or else a bunch of issues would appear. You can really ''work it'' with TEW1's control, you can play it as fast as you want and it would still function just fine.

Stealth is filled with puzzling, meaningless designs, when spotted by enemies Sebastian would do a scared gesture for a second, and during that moment you really can't do anything, you can't just run away instantly when being spotted like in TEW1, that ''shit I'm spotted'' animation always stops your action.

Cover system is also flawed and glitchy, especially with hold setting, when aiming from the cover Sebastian's arm would glitch out from time to time, you can also make his arm go crazy by just aiming closer to the edge of the cover.

Finally the stamina system, your stamina actually depletes faster when fighting enemies, this makes the stamina feels extremely imprecise and really kills the joy of upgrading stamina, I used to count seconds when running and fighting in TEW1 because I rather focus on the enemy than the stamina bar, in this game you can't do that, there're two different sets of rules and there's no reliable way to calculate it. The entire stamina system is a complete mess.

The SH games were not great when it came to gameplay (combat) sadly. Homecoming tried to remedy this somewhat (it was still clunky) and people complained it made the game too easy...

That's not my complaint leveled against SH4, read my original post in regards to that. I said even compared to the first 3, 4 had much worse controls.

I don't mind jank, clunk etc. as long as it doesn't become a real issue and SH4 was an issue. Back then at least I found the game borderline unplayable.

Marcel

The basic control of TEW2 is heavy and sluggish. Turning, crouching and running are all slower than the first game and has a momentum to it, it's obvious that the new director John Johanas wants to mimic that The Last of Us feel but just didn't quite pull it off here.

The first game may have stiff animation but the control is very responsive, Sebastian never does anything you don't want him to do and every command has a solid feedback to it, there was never a input delay like in TEW2.  

Sometimes when you swap weapon really fast and then aim, Sebastian's arm would glitch out too, sometimes even prevent you from shoot all together, this never happened in the first TEW1. The whole control of TEW2 feels like a car that can only run and turn slowly, or else a bunch of issues would appear. You can really ''work it'' with TEW1's control, you can play it as fast as you want and it would still function just fine.

Stealth is also filled with puzzling, meaningless designs, when spotted by enemies Sebastian would do a scared gesture for a second, and during that moment you really can't do anything, you can't just run away instantly when being spotted like in TEW1, that ''shit I'm spotted'' animation always stops your action.

Cover system is also flawed and glitchy, especially with hold setting, when aiming from the cover Sebastian's arm would glitch out from time to time, you can also make his arm go crazy by just aiming closer to the edge of the cover.

wait what lol

what is this scaredy cat animation he does, it sounds hilarious and stupid

BadWolf

You mean weapon swaying? Yeah, go that maxed out.
It's funny 'cause in the shooting gallery i can pull off headshots pretty well (but that's with fairly static targets).

And in EW1 i also pulled off headshots a LOT, to the point where i was asking myself if there wasn't something broken with the game.

That's odd to hear to be honest, I was getting way more headshots in TEW2 compared to TEW1. The hand gun was easily the most fun weapon for me due to that, that critical head shot felt so damn good every time.

I remember something like that and it's admirable and important to do that. I'm just such a fan of the games he directed that I wish he would just have them learn by observing and doing shit himself ;)

But at the same time you can end up with a Kojima situation where the team is very incompetent on their own.

rtcn63

That's not my complaint leveled against SH4, read my original post in regards to that. I said even compared to the first 3, 4 had much worse controls.

I don't mind jank, clunk etc. as long as it doesn't become a real issue and SH4 was an issue. Back then at least I found the game borderline unplayable.

Oh sorry. Yeah it's been so long since I played that I guess I don't remember how bad/unfair animations and hit detection etc. was. I just vaguely remember the series as a whole not being great to play.

People posting opinions as fact for thread bait.

Fatal frame 1-3 and Deadspace 1-2 destroy TEW.

Fatal frame is probably one of the most atmospherically scary series I've played. But when it comes to combat, I'm about DS2 and TEW.

Dusk Golem

wait what lol

Try it out.

Find a lost (zombie), sneak up to it, get spotted and then you will see.

It's more of a ''stunned'' animation than scared, it was extremely annoying, such a pointless design.

rtcn63

This thread is really something.

I mean, if you ignore the combat. But it's you arriving on a ship to investigate/repair it and shit goes to hell.

And Isolation has those weirdo androids. And you could even throw makeshift bombs at things.

xviper

i played about 5 hours so far, explored the whole first area, on chapter 4

so far it's a huge downgrade from the first game, will see how it goes as i have not yet finished it

BadWolf

wait what lol

That's because it's not true, there is no such thing every time he gets spotted.

TEW2 is actually really good at not taking control away from the player.

Even during stealth kill animations when the enemy is falling to the ground, you don't have to wait for it to finish. Sebastian can start moving while the dramatic camera is still on the enemy falling.

Marcel

Try it out.

Find a lost (zombie), sneak up to it, get spotted and then you will see.

It's more of a ''stunned'' animation than scared, but it's easier to explain to just say scared.

So if I'm understanding you right Sebastian has a "stunned" reaction similar to when a ReDead spots Link in Zelda 64? How silly if so.

UrbanRats

That's odd to hear to be honest, I was getting way more headshots in TEW2 compared to TEW1. The hand gun was easily the most fun weapon for me due to that, that critical head shot felt so damn good every time.

I can believe that.
Developers at Naughty Dog didn't even notice a difference between Uncharted 2's and Uncharted 3's aiming, and i found U3 almost unplayable pre-patch.

That is not to say you can't tell the difference, but that it's probably something very subjective, i guess.

Personally i just never feel in control, when aiming, in EW2.
Something that i very much liked in EW1.

Though playing with the mouse i do get very close (unfortunately M&K kills my wrist).

SomTervo

The atmosphere might be decent but it is much worse than TEW1.

the-evil-within-gif-1.gif

giphy.gif

The art direction in general is a huge step back, the world design is uninspired, enemy mobs are just generic ''American'' zombies with design similar to the infected from The Last of Us. Unlike the haunted in TEW1 which had incredibly detailed and diverse design.

The camera wobble and better movement really added a lot.

TEW2's movement is pretty effed up.

I can believe that.
Developers at Naughty Dog didn't even notice a difference between Uncharted 2's and Uncharted 3's aiming, and i found U3 almost unplayable pre-patch.

That is not to say you can't tell the difference, but that it's probably something very subjective, i guess.

Though playing with the mouse i do get very close (unfortunately M&K kills my wrist).

Yeah aiming is wonky af in TEW2. The aiming, enemy attack animations and movement are literally the only things I don't like about it.

Ocirus

Currently playing Evil Within 2, and thoroughly enjoying it, but I strongly disagree with the topic statement. Dead Space says "Hi" and I have plenty of gripes with EW2. Big issue: the removal of matches is just not good. One of the best parts of the first game.

rtcn63

Also, did the original TEW have aim assist? I don't think it did. TEW2 has a toggle, although Nightmare it's off.

JoduanER2

From what ive seen in the gameplay videos and trailers it looks like a cliche mix of every action TPS. I swear ive seen the protagonist like a thousand times, and he acts absolutely nothing like he did in Evil Within 1.

xviper

Sometimes when you swap weapon really fast and then aim, Sebastian’s arm would glitch out too, sometimes even prevent you from shoot all together, this never happened in the first TEW1. The whole control of TEW2 feels like a car that can only run and turn slowly, or else a bunch of issues would appear. You can really ''work it'' with TEW1's control, you can play it as fast as you want and it would still function just fine.

Stealth is filled with puzzling, meaningless designs, when spotted by enemies Sebastian would do a scared gesture for a second, and during that moment you really can't do anything, you can't just run away instantly when being spotted like in TEW1, that ''shit I'm spotted'' animation always stops your action.

Finally the stamina system, your stamina actually depletes faster when fighting enemies, this makes the stamina feels extremely imprecise and really kills the joy of upgrading stamina, I used to count seconds when running and fighting in TEW1 because I rather focus on the enemy than the stamina bar, in this game you can't do that, there're are two different sets of rules and there's no reliable way to calculate it. The entire stamina system is a complete mess.

100% agree

also the gunplay in TEW2 is MUCH worse than the first game, i'm not feeling the gun shots

Duxxy3

I can believe that.

EW2 aim was definitely easier with a mouse. Maybe a little easier than the developer intended. I briefly played with a controller. I thought EW1 played better with a controller.

According to BadWolf this isn't true and I haven't noticed it in nearly 10 hours of play.

It happens right when the enemy ''howls'' at you, trying running away at that moment.

100% agree

also the gunplay in TEW2 is MUCH worse than the first game, i'm not feeling the gun shots

Your aiming is completely off when enemy gets too close, I test it out with the ''slow mo'' ability in-game and it turns out your point of impact is completely off to the left of the reticle when enemy is right in front of you. Hence why it's impossible to hit them when they gets too close.

Top Bottom