• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 7 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Rydeen

Really going to try hard to participate this year, even though I have a vacation for a few days in the middle of October. I might do double features on a few days just to cover the days I'll be out of town, and I have tons of Scream Factory releases I've purchased I haven't had time to watch, so I'll definitely be watching a lot of those releases.

Got my list pretty much ready to go.

First Time Viewings
I Saw The Devil
Lisa And The Devil
Body Puzzle
The Black Cat
Manhattan Baby
A Blade In The Dark
Your Vice is a Locked Room And Only I Have The Key
Jason X
Death Walks At Midnight
Society
Raw
Metamorphosis
The Woman
Hills Have Eyes Part 2 (original)
Angst
The Stendhal Syndrome
Pulse
Last Girl Standing
ABCs of Death
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
Chopping Mall

Rewatches:
Hellraiser
Hellraiser 2
Vamp
City of the Living Dead
Halloween
Halloween 3: Season of the Witch
Trick r Treat
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Poltergeist
Lifeforce
Day of the Dead
Creepshow
Stagefright
The Invisible Man
Christine
Prince of Darkness
Inside
Saw 6
Saw 7
Hellraiser: Bloodlines
Evil Dead
Friday the 13th Part 6
The Lost Boys
Silver Bullet
Little Evil

I'll add more later, and will probably have some movies I catch on TV, but this should be a good start.

Anyone have any recommendations for foreign horror? Asian in particular as I've really enjoyed the following titles:

- The Wailing
- The first four Ju-on films (Curse and Grudge, not the remakes)
- Noroi

I really like the oppressive and isolating atmosphere of these films.

I've also seen the Teke teke films, Marebito, Occult (Okaruto), and Chakushin ari (One Missed Call) which range from fine to...silly.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Anyone have any recommendations for foreign horror? Asian in particular as I've really enjoyed the following titles:

- The Wailing
- Noroi

Ringu and A Tale of Two Sisters are a couple of really good ones.

Divius

Some really great lists have been posted already, good stuff guys. Ridley, insane as always. Thirtstyfly, solid list yo. More_Badass, you've got a fantastic list as well.

Is it october yet?

lordxar

- The Wailing
- Noroi

I've also seen the Teke teke films, Marebito, Occult (Okaruto), and Chakushin ari (One Missed Call) which range from fine to...silly.

I just watched Onibaba and it's old, but good.

Fairy Tale Killer is a kind of weird Saw type flick on Shudder.

Train to Busan and I Saw the Devil are solid.

I hear the Chaser is good and it's on my upcoming list but I've not seen it.

The Host is damn good.

If your in to weird shit the Tetsuo movies are...definitely weird. Still not sure how I feel about them.

- The Wailing
- Noroi

You are missing Audition. That needs to be added pronto.

- The Wailing
- Noroi

You should check out Kiyoshi Kurosawa's movies. Pulse and especially Cure are fantastic.

Steamlord

- The Wailing
- Noroi

If you're looking for oppressive and isolating, you can't do much better than...

You should check out Kiyoshi Kurosawa's movies. Pulse and especially Cure are fantastic.

Steamlord

Pulse is good? My impressions are tainted by the remake

The quality of American remakes of Asian horror films generally doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the original films. I need to rewatch Pulse though, it's been a while. Might do that next month.

I've been thinking about pulling the Trigger on Pulse, might do it now.

Actually, I might just wait for the next Arrow sale and save some bucks.

Pulse is good? My impressions are tainted by the remake

It's pretty damn weird but suitably creepy. I like Cure quite a bit better though both because it's more grounded (and feels less overtly allegorical) and it feels like if Tarkovsky decided to direct a horror movie.

I think this year im going to find a horror movie made in each of the last 31 years that have never seen before. And watch then in chronological order. Ill edit with my list soon.

Edit, nvm. Thays gonna be harder than i thought lol

kevin1025

Banned
All right, I have my list. It's all locked in (except for some of the Italian recommendations, which I have put in place but hopefully I can find them all in time). I even ordered them since I'm a nerd, and plus I decided to put the Nightmare/Halloween/Friday films in release date order so I don't go nuts watching the same franchise 10 movies straight, at least then there's a little variety. Plus then Freddy vs Jason is more fun.

Sorry for the long list, haha. I plan on watching at least two a day, since so many horror movies are 90-ish minutes.

THE LIST:

(Prologue - Pre-October, starting on Monday)
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Extinction
Resident Evil: Afterlife
Resident Evil: Retribution
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
Phantasm
Phantasm II
Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead
Phantasm IV: Oblivion
Phantasm V Ravager

October:
Suspiria
Black Sunday
The Thing
The Thing (2011)
Cult of Chucky
Deep Red
City of the Living Dead
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
The Void
Tenebre
Halloween
Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th Part II
Halloween II
Friday the 13th Part III
Halloween III Season of the Witch
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
Friday the 13th Part V A New Beginning
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge
Friday the 13th Part VI Jason Lives
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
Friday the 13th Part VII The New Blood
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
New Nightmare
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween: H2O
Jason X
Halloween: Resurrection
Freddy vs Jason
Halloween (2007)
Halloween II (2009)
Friday the 13th (2009)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Black Sabbath
The Omen
The Blackcoat's Daughter
The New York Ripper
The Eyes of my Mother
I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House
The Beyond
Crimson Peak
In the Mouth of Madness
A Girl Walks Alone at Night
Blood and Black Lace
Hounds of Love
Straw Dogs
Bay of Blood
The Devil's Candy
The Greasy Strangler
Don't Torture A Duckling
The House by the Cemetery
The Transfiguration
The Monster
Possession
A Tale of Two Sisters
Rosemary's Baby
Repulsion

lordxar

The Chaser is great, but it's more of an action/crime thriller. Not a horror movie at all.

Well...shit. May have to call an audible.

Edit: a decent chunk of my list is not horror apparently. I basically did a serial killer movie search and used what turned up. So the theme is there but not the content completely. Guess I need to revamp things a bit...

Edit 2: New and improved! Now with more horror!

1 Peeping Tom
2 Psycho
3 Slaughter Hotel
4 Deranged
5 The Driller Killer
6 Cruising
7 Don't Go In The House
8 Madman
9 Angst
10 Psycho II
11 The Final Terror
12 Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
13 Psycho III
14 Santa Sangre
15 Psycho IV: The Beginning
16 Thesis
17 Cure
18 Dahmer
19 The Hillside Strangler
20 Saw
21 Saw II
22 Saw III
23 Saw IV
24 Saw V
25 The Collector
26 Saw VI
27 Tony
28 Freeway Killer
29 Saw: The Final Chapter
30 Bella Kiss Prolog
31 Jigsaw

So it turns out that The Blackcoat's Daughter is called February in the UK, and has been on Netflix here for a year already. Can't believe I've been missing it all this time, as it's written and directed by the wonderful Oz Perkins, who is responsible for my favourite film of last year's marathon, I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House.

Definitely going on this year's list.

Fox Mulder

I have no idea why we still don't have a F13th set available. It's been OOP for almost 2 years now?

Because Paramount sucks. We only got the full set because Paramount leased many of their catalog titles to Warner Bros for release, the deal expired in late 2016 or whatever. The set went OOP because people bitched about the $70 price as being too high or the packaging damaging discs.

Paramount are releasing the first four on bluray again now.

Melchiah

So it turns out that The Blackcoat's Daughter is called February in the UK, and has been on Netflix here for a year already. Can't believe I've been missing it all this time, as it's written and directed by the wonderful Oz Perkins, who is responsible for my favourite film of last year's marathon, I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House.

I've passed on watching that due to the mixed reviews, and the generic-sounding synopsis, but it seems to be worth a watch after all.

MattyH

i passed on Pretty Thing (no idea why) may throw it on as a bonus movie

Melchiah

I really loved it when I watched it last year, and I've watched it several times since, but I can see it not being to everyone's taste. Here's my review from last year for what it's worth.

This part from your review sounds very promising:
This movie definitely isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. It’s more elegiac and mournful than it ever is frightening. Sadness, loneliness and unease are the key notes here, and its amazingly atmospheric score brings this out so well. Don’t get me wrong, creepy moments abound, but this isn’t a film that wants to terrify.

I might watch it this weekend with my girlfriend, along with The Girl with All the Gifts.

Gosh! Is it this time of the year already @.@
Love this thread though, got so much to catch up on.

Kinda in the mood for some classic 80s and hammer movies, maybe with a little Vincent Price goodness thrown into the mix.

thenexus6

I am so excited to watch some films this October. I have a massive list..

I plan on watching the Halloween, Friday the 13th films for the first time as well as rewatching:

The Thing
Evil Dead 2 and 3
Scream
Hellraiser
Candyman

Zombine

Banned
Gosh! Is it this time of the year already @.@
Love this thread though, got so much to catch up on.

Kinda in the mood for some classic 80s and hammer movies, maybe with a little Vincent Price goodness thrown into the mix.

Picked up the Hammer films on Blu-Ray & DVD near the end of last season. Going to take the time to watch them in a few weeks.

Melchiah

I am so excited to watch some films this October. I have a massive list..

I plan on watching the Halloween, Friday the 13th films for the first time as well as rewatching:

The Thing
Evil Dead 2 and 3
Scream
Hellraiser
Candyman

Not the original (and the best)? That reminds me, the next month would be a good time for its annual viewing for me.

Not the original (and the best)? That reminds me, the next month would be a good time for its annual viewing for me.

It took me a few years to come around to the brilliance of Evil Dead 1. That was mainly because of seeing the sequels first and going in with the wrong expectations. It's incredible and may be the best in the series. Someone would have to hold a gun to my head to get me to choose between it and Evil Dead 2 though. It's too difficult for me to decide.

It took me a few years to come around to the brilliance of Evil Dead 1. That was mainly because of seeing the sequels first and going in with the wrong expectations. It's incredible and may be the best in the series. Someone would have to hold a gun to my head to get me to choose between it and Evil Dead 2 though. It's too difficult for me to decide.

I'm an Army of Darkness guy.

*runs*

Melchiah

I saw them in order, the first in the 80's, and it became my favorite horror movie of all time. The sequel's change of tone was a severe disappointment for me. It's not as bad as the third, which I can't even watch. Eventhough the 2013 remake isn't as good as the original, I liked how it was true to the roots.

lordxar

This part from your review sounds very promising:

I might watch it this weekend with my girlfriend, along with The Girl with All the Gifts.

Watch I am the Pretty Thing first. I found it boring as hell and Girl with Gifts is extremely engaging comparatively. I say this because we watched Speed one year followed by Nightmare Before Christmas and the fast run into snail damn near put everyone to sleep. Better to build up not stop.

Edit: Army of Darkness all day. 1 & 2 were good but I love the humor in AoD. Shop smart...shop S Mart

gamz

I saw Evil Dead 1 first and it basically blew me away. 2 is brilliant tho and more rewatchable. It's so damn creative. It's Raimi getting a budget and going nuts on it.

2 is better movie, but 1 has a ton of no budget charm.

Wither is my favourite Evil Dead movie. It's a 2012 Swedish film that claims to be nothing to do with the franchise, but it's totally a remake of the first movie. Well worth a watch if you don't mind subtitles. It's better than the 2013 remake, IMO.
Also, you Army of Darkness people are nuts!

Top Bottom