• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies Anywhere - New Digital Movie Locker

Weevilone

I don't understand the comment about Apple not offering phone support for iTunes. Of course you can. You can do web chat, e-mail, call them, or have them call you at a specified time.

If you bought it in 4K on iTunes and are hoping to get it in 4K on Vudu or Google, you will not be happy. iTunes 4K purchases will not transfer over to other services as 4K, only HD. This comes down to the deals Apple cut with studios to get 4K pricing. The same as an HD purchase from another retailer looking like you get the 4K version on iTunes, but the movie really playing at ~1200p HDR.

The only thing I'm curious on is if someone has a 4K movie on Google or Vudu, that is available in 4K on Apple, and how that transfers over. I was looking at buying one of those... but holy shit are they expensive........

I just shop around now. I've found some good deals. Like uhd Lego Batman is 12.50 on vudu

hmm... ok, I might bite the bullet at $12.50 and see if it transfers to iTunes as 4K.

Let us know your results. Honestly, Apple treats all HD purchases, whether it’s actually bought or redeemed through a code as a 4K purchase so I don’t see how this is any different.

This is still too new to actually know for sure what’s going on.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Let us know your results. Honestly, Apple treats all HD purchases, whether it's actually bought or redeemed through a code as a 4K purchase so I don't see how this is any different.

This is still too new to actually know for sure what's going on.

will check tonight.

Apple treats HD purchases and first-time HD digital copies as 4K. However it seems apple does not treat second-hand digital copies (i.e. MA syncing) as the same, reportedly due to their contracts on 4K with studios. If you get an HD copy on iTunes because you bought it on another retailer, iTunes (as of now) will only stream you a 1200p HDR copy.

Likewise buying the copy on iTunes (that qualifies you for both HD and 4K) will only transfer to other retailers as an HD copy.

What I want to check is specifically buying a 4K copy on another retailer, and how that transfers to iTunes. Will it transfer allowing us 2160p, will it transfer allowing us only "HD+" (~1200p), or will it not transfer at all.

edit - on this topic, I DID buy a copy of Sherlock Holmes last night to verify you could still "upgrade" one of those HD+ copies on iTunes to full 4K (you can). And that purchase subsequently did not go to 4K on Google or Vudu.

soundtest

Banned
So basically if you want a 4k copy on iTunes you need to redeem all future digital copies thru iTunes unless you can't and then your stuck with some weird ass not-4k-but-hdr version of the film.

I guess I kinda get it.

borghe

So basically if you want a 4k copy on iTunes you need to redeem all future digital copies thru iTunes unless you can't and then your stuck with some weird ass not-4k-but-hdr version of the film.

I guess I kinda get it.

until/unless studios and retailers get together and upgrade MA to 4K, yes.

so far iTunes has never had a 4K digital copy. Any HD digital copy you redeem will give you the 4K version.

What I would expect studios to be ok with, is a 4K purchase or redemption on Google or Vudu giving you access to the 4K version on iTunes. That's what I'll check tonight.

It's $2.49 on Amazon Instant Video or it was yesterday when I bought it.

that is HD, which will only give you the unofficial 1200p version on iTunes. I don't see it available in 4K on Amazon.

DOWN

Banned
So if you redeem a movie on MA/DMA, on iTunes it is just gonna be 1200p? You need a legit iTunes code to redeem 4K?

borghe

So if you redeem a movie on MA/DMA, on iTunes it is just gonna be 1200p HDR? You need a legit iTunes code to redeem 4K?

for HD movies, yes that is currently the case. unknown if this is a bug or intentional, or if it will change.

for 4K movies, currently unsure.

Setmeni

for HD movies, yes that is currently the case. unknown if this is a bug or intentional, or if it will change.

for 4K movies, currently unsure.

My version of Lego Batman switches to 4K on iTunes. I don’t know if that was a fluke or not but should be investigated.

DOWN

Banned
My version of Lego Batman switches to 4K on iTunes. I don’t know if that was a fluke or not but should be investigated.
It may say 4K in iTunes / the listing, but in testing here people are saying the movie’s listing as 4K when they transfer to iTunes still only play in 1200p HDR

borghe

My version of Lego Batman switches to 4K on iTunes. I don't know if that was a fluke or not but should be investigated.

it's not. If you play it on an Apple TV 4K, the info banner (while playing) will say HD Dolby Vision, and the developer hud will report Dolby Vision color space, 2238x938 file resolution (something like that), and a peak bitrate of ~15Mb and an average bitrate of ~9Mb.

A full UHD movie on Apple TV 4K reports at 3840x1600 (2.35:1 movies), and a peak bitrate of ~30Mb with an average bitrate of usually ~20-24Mb.

Klotera

Overall, this is great progress. Getting stuck in one retailers ecosystem was bad for consumers.

However, they definitely need to clear up the rules around how 4K/HD/SD purchases transfer among retailers. If I buy 4K on one retailer and it's just HD on all others, makes this less valuable and I'd be less likely to buy a digital version.

It's already a bit of a mess around the digital codes included with UHD Blu-rays and whether those redeem HD or 4K.

DOWN

Banned
Ok I think I’m gonna try this messy but faster than 6 months way of trying to get my old iTunes library onto my current one...

So:

-Make Google Play account #2
-Make MA account #2
-Connect old iTunes account to MA account #2
-Play Account #2, MA account #2 now both have old iTunes movie library synced
-Family share Google Play Account #2 with current Play Account
-Current Play account syncs with MA account #1 and current iTunes account

Then I should have my old iTunes redemptions on my current iTunes account I think

Setmeni

it's not. If you play it on an Apple TV 4K, the info banner (while playing) will say HD Dolby Vision, and the developer hud will report Dolby Vision color space, 2238x938 file resolution (something like that), and a peak bitrate of ~15Mb and an average bitrate of ~9Mb.

A full UHD movie on Apple TV 4K reports at 3840x1600 (2.35:1 movies), and a peak bitrate of ~30Mb with an average bitrate of usually ~20-24Mb.

Ah ok nvm then, I haven’t had a chance to test it at home yet I just saw what it said on my phone.

J-Skee

So the 4K situation is a mess. This is what I've been able to gather so far:

Movies Anywhere: Doesn't support 4K at all. If you try to watch a movie directly from the MA app or website, you will only see 1080p.

Apple: Supports 4K, HDR10 & Dolby Vision. Does not separate HD & 4K purchases. If you buy a movie outright on iTunes & there's a 4K version available, you get the full 2160p copy of the movie. If you transfer an HD purchase from another retailer through MA & the movie shows as 4K on iTunes, you only get a 1200p copy, with the ability to upgrade to full 4K by using the "send as gift" option, sending to yourself & redeeming the code that is sent to you.

Vudu: Supports 4K & Dolby Vision. Separates HD & 4K purchases. Buying a movie in 4K on Vudu should get you the 4K version on Google Play & MIGHT get you 1200p in iTunes (awaiting confirmation on this). Unsure about Amazon. If you buy the HD version of a movie, you can upgrade to 4K for a fee, but that upgrade won't transfer to other retailers. Vudu also has a disc-to-digital program where you can convert your DVD's & Blu-ray's into digital copies for a small fee.

Google Play: Supports 4K & HDR10. Separates HD & 4K purchases. Buying a movie in 4K on Google Play should get you the 4K version on Vudu & MIGHT get you 1200p in iTunes (awaiting confirmation on this). Unsure about Amazon. Cannot upgrade HD purchases to 4K.

Amazon: Supports 4K & HDR. Separates HD & 4K purchases. I'm going to honest, I have no idea what's going on with Amazon as I haven't seen enough talk about what happens with it's 4K content. Will update when I get additional information.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on the any of the information.

Well, checked iTunes this morning. No movies and still no MA section in the My Account details. It's not a huge deal for me as I didn't have any movies exclusive to my iTunes account but I still like to see things working properly even when I won't use them.

I'm missing that as well but technically it is not a movie and it's clear that TV Shows and possibly all non-movies aren't covered by this service. But since DMA is going away, you would think it would at least transfer into MA, even if it didn't flow out to other services.

I just got off chat with Movies Anywhere. They recommended the whole account deactivation and reactivation process and said that might help, but might not. I told them I didn't have that as an option in my itunes account page and they said they're aware of the issue and working on an actual fix on their end.

borghe

correction: not sure how 4K purchases on Google or Vudu show up on iTunes.

"upgrading" an MA movie on iTunes to 4K is only a "loophole" because iTunes, to reduce confusion, doesn't make it obvious how to "buy" movies you already own (they consider it as you owning the MA HD copy) So it's not that they stop you, they just don't want people accidentally buying movies they own.

So to give yourself access to the 4K copy, you have to "send as gift" on the movie, send it to yourself or whomever.. then redeem the code on your account. You'll still only have one copy showing on your account, but when you play the movie it will be the full 4K version.

unknown if this will change or not on iTunes (and if it's a requirement by the studios or not to allow for Apple's 4K pricing model)

Koyuga

The only thing that didn’t sync up from my Vudu account is Shin Godzilla - and that isn’t even in the movies anywhere database! 😢 What a shame.

J-Skee

correction: not sure how 4K purchases on Google or Vudu show up on iTunes.

"upgrading" an MA movie on iTunes to 4K is only a "loophole" because iTunes, to reduce confusion, doesn't make it obvious how to "buy" movies you already own (they consider it as you owning the MA HD copy) So it's not that they stop you, they just don't want people accidentally buying movies they own.

So to give yourself access to the 4K copy, you have to "send as gift" on the movie, send it to yourself or whomever.. then redeem the code on your account. You'll still only have one copy showing on your account, but when you play the movie it will be the full 4K version.

unknown if this will change or not on iTunes (and if it's a requirement by the studios or not to allow for Apple's 4K pricing model)

Thank you. I made the correction. Is there another fee when you do this or is it just the full price of the movie?

DOWN

Banned
Reddit has a graphic explaining the easy way to get movies from old accounts/family accounts to your current accounts
I026fXKh.jpg

borghe

Thank you. I made the correction. Is there another fee when you do this or is it just the full price of the movie?

also correct the 1200p part in the google and vudu sections. at this moment we don't know how 4K purchases transfer to iTunes (unless someone already has a 4K purchase on vudu or google and can tell us how it shows up on iTunes)

kaskade

Man, I’m bummed my Dark Knight copy didn’t get upgraded to HD from iTunes. That’s the only one I don’t have HD, it went for the HD version on VUDU but I want it all in one library. I’m tempted to just buy a copy to make my collection complete. m

Fox Mulder

they're getting slammed. There's a long ass queue for chat and their phone just kept giving a busy tone and hung up on me.

it's just itunes not working for me, which is linked with my DMA account that won't migrate either. I'm fine with losing that stuff as I havent used itunes in years anyways and forgot I had it until this.

borghe

Man, I’m bummed my Dark Knight copy didn’t get upgraded to HD from iTunes. That’s the only one I don’t have HD, it went for the HD version on VUDU but I want it all in one library. I’m tempted to just buy a copy to make my collection complete. m
double check on your devices. Mine didn't look like it got upgraded on iTunes, but watching it on my Apple TV it DID!!!!

J-Skee

also correct the 1200p part in the google and vudu sections. at this moment we don't know how 4K purchases transfer to iTunes (unless someone already has a 4K purchase on vudu or google and can tell us how it shows up on iTunes)

I may purchase Wonder Woman or Spider-Man Homecoming on either one, but I've been trying to budget, so I hope someone else comes through with the information before I do so.

My iTunes is not showing up on MA and vice versa. Any ideas?
I unlinked and relinked iTunes and it got everything to re-sync (well, except my old SD iTunes licenses for Jurassic Park and Lost World, which were always weirdly treated differently by iTunes). Same with Vudu.

Weevilone

My iTunes movies moved to Vudu and MA, but nothing went to iTunes. When I try to disconnect, it sends me to Itunes... where it says nothing about MA in the account info.

So basically I can't break the link and redo it.

soundtest

Banned
Seems that MA is shitting the bed with syncing right now. Added two films, one to iTunes and one thru Vudu, neither are popping up in MA right now.

Cheebo

Banned
Seems that MA is shifting the best with syncing right now. Added two films, one to iTunes and one thru Vudu, neither are popping up in MA right now.

Seems to be only certain users getting slowdown. I got a few movies this morning (1 iTunes, 2 Vudu) and both appeared within seconds.

DOWN

Banned
Reddit has a graphic explaining the easy way to get movies from old accounts/family accounts to your current accounts
I026fXKh.jpg
This ain’t helpful for me... I tried this and while MA added my iTunes movies to MA and then Vudu, the Vudu account I share it with didn’t get anything from the share... Seems iTunes stuff that wasn’t originally redeemed on UV will be added to MA and thus Vudu, but won’t transfer Vudu share to Vudu share as UV even if those titles do also exist on UV.

EDIT: ok now my movies copied over... from Vudu to Vudu but not Vudu to MA.

Cheebo

Banned
Books anywhere. Keep the Kindle convenience but make it competitive.

Book publishers don't have enough sway to push back against the Amazon near monopoly on ebooks.

Disney was big enough to bend Google, Amazon, and Apple to their will while the UV program only was able to get Vudu on board.

No publisher of books has that level of sway Disney does.

borghe

My iTunes is not showing up on MA and vice versa. Any ideas?

go to iTunes, Account, and see if Movies Anywhere shows up as connected?

My iTunes movies moved to Vudu and MA, but nothing went to iTunes. When I try to disconnect, it sends me to Itunes... where it says nothing about MA in the account info.

So basically I can't break the link and redo it.

check in iTunes on a device if you can. or if you did check iTunes on the PC. Movies Anywhere should show up in your account with a Disconnect button/link.

For clarification - if I have movies on UV, they will now be available on iTunes and vice versa?

correct. though currently it seems some users are seeing issues or extreme delays in stuff syncing.

DOWN

Banned
For clarification - if I have movies on UV, they will now be available on iTunes and vice versa?
only once you’ve connected a service like Vudu or Google Play that you’ve got your UV library linked to. Then yes, they will be copied from Vudu for example, added to MA, then added to iTunes.

Note some studios like Paramount, Lionsgate, and MGM will not transfer yet because they aren’t part of MA yet. Also expect syncing delays up to several hours.

DOWN

Banned
OK YAAASSSSS

I circumvented the 6 month window to get my old iTunes library.

Did this:

Make Vudu account #2
-Make MA account #2 and connect to Vudu account #2
-Connect old iTunes account to MA account #2
-Vudu Account #2, MA account #2 now both have old iTunes movie library synced
-Family share Vudu Account #2 with current Vudu Account
-Current Vudu account now syncs with MA account #1 and current iTunes account, giving my current iTunes account all my old digital copies from old iTunes account

Disney are so wonderful in this regard.

Weevilone

check in iTunes on a device if you can. or if you did check iTunes on the PC. Movies Anywhere should show up in your account with a Disconnect button/link.

Yeah I checked on iPad and my Mac.. I have no MA section or mention of any kind in the appropriate settings area. MA says it's connected though. :-(

Top Bottom