• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade 11/30/2007 Jeff Gerstmann fired from Gamespot, allegedly for K&L review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary Whitta said:
This is an outrage if true. Especially since his score seems largely "correct" (mid-60s on metacritic)
I know it's farfetched, but perhaps this is the straw that broke the camel's back after Twilight Princess and Ratchet & Clack Future?

pilonv1

Editor's Note: This review has been updated to include differences between the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions and a clarification on the game's multiplayer mode.

This is on the K&L review now. Interesting.

So at Gamespot you are only allowed to write bad reviews for good games I guess. Or maybe you can only write bad reviews for PS3 games. Who knows.

I am still laughing if this is true because it's one of the few times when he got it right on the money. He maybe even went a little too easy on the game with that rating.

gwiz210 said:
Just for ole' times sake...
8g58utj.jpg
I finally finished this game about 10 minutes ago, this score is spot on.

tanod

when is my burrito
Rody said:
If he did get fired, I doubt it was because of the review. PA is just joking about the coincidence, maybe?

He's been working at Gamespot for around 10 years. This is like Dan Rather from CBS getting fired except if Dan Rather's sources were right.

_dementia said:
I know it's farfetched, but perhaps this is the straw that broke the camel's back after Twilight Princess and Ratchet & Clack Future?

Gerstman didn't review Ratchet and Clank.

Ganondorfo said:
They should fire some of the guys who worked on kane and lynch, that would be justice:D

Pff, it's a good/great game.

And if this is true then there's only one man left on Gamespot who's not completely obnoxious (Ryan Davis), which would be a damn shame.

NichM

Banned
_dementia said:
Straw that broke the camel's back after TP and RCF?

TP and RCF were good games, but they didn't have the kind of massive advertising campaign on GameSpot that Eidos was clearly springing for. That's the kind of thing that can, sadly, make the difference. (Although any EiC worth a damn would have refused to bow to the pressure.)

methane47

polyh3dron said:
So at Gamespot you are only allowed to write bad reviews for good games I guess. Or maybe you can only write bad reviews for PS3 games. Who knows.

I am still laughing if this is true because it's one of the few times when he got it right on the money. He maybe even went a little too easy on the game with that rating.

Hopefully we are proven wrong and the douchebag who wrote the R&C review will be fired as well...

Kittonwy

Banned
Ganondorfo said:
But kane and lynch is a 6.0/10 game, he is right.

So everyone who gave kane and lynch a bad review must be fired?????

I agree, it's a fucking unplayable, broken mess. It's not even a good looking game, the controls is pure shit.
Indifferent2.gif

Vark

Ganondorfo said:
Gamespot were recently a lot wrong with games

Ratchet and clank future
Fire emblem wii
Silent hill origins

You mean you disagree with them on those games. You can't really be 'wrong' with an opinion. Thats the whole point.

zenbot

FartOfWar said:
8-10 scale, bitches. Enthusiasts ask for it more than the publishers.
8? Why so low? Games can receive only a 9 on the enthusiast review scale. No 10s! No game is perfect.

If this is true, and PA are not just fucking around: Gamespot is dooooomed.

pilonv1 said:
LOUL LETS LAUGH AT SOMEONE WHO LOST HIS JOB. THAT WILL TEACH HIM GIVE A GAME I LIKE A BAD SCORE
These threads bring out the worst in people, no doubt. There was a heap of really repugnant gloating in the "Ziff is doomed!" thread from a couple of months back.

Kittonwy said:
I agree, it's a fucking unplayable, broken mess. It's not even a good looking game, the controls is pure shit.
Indifferent2.gif
Typical Eidos though, when was the last time they made a decent game? All they care about is flashy marketing and whether they can spin the characters into a movie down the line.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
methane47 said:
Didn't he give Super StarDust HD a 7.0? .. looks like karma caught up to him
methane47 said:
Hopefully we are proven wrong and the douchebag who wrote the R&C review will be fired as well...
Jesus, man. That is pathetic. Someone just lost their job and all you can think about is that he rated your favourite games lower than you expected.

Bildi

BrokenSymmetry said:
On the home page of Gamespot, there's an ad for Kane & Lynch, with "click a character to skin the site". With this, gamespot visitors can skin the site with either Kane, Lynch, or both.
I see. Thanks :)

I had slowly started to put two and two together and when I realised the guy on the left works for Gamespot rather than the developer it started to make more sense.

I wonder if the assumption by PA that most of their readership visits Gamespot is a safe one?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Gary Whitta said:
Typical Eidos though, when was the last time they made a decent game? All they care about is flashy marketing and whether they can spin the characters into a movie down the line.

Tomb Raider Anniversary was their last good game I think. So...June.

But I don't think he was fired. I'd be terribly upset to hear otherwise.

medze

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

Still in the shrink wrap :lol

Glad I kept that receipt!

Can anyone really confirm that Jeff was or was not fired this week? Scandal aside, I will stop listening to the Hot Spot and stop going to GameSpot if he really was fired, for any reason. If he left voluntarily to pursue some other interest, then okay.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Bildi said:
I wonder if the assumption by PA that most of their readership visits Gamespot is a safe one?
Well, I don't think you need to visit Gamespot to understand the comic. I do not visit it anymore and got it at first glance.

Gowans

If thats true then wow thats horrendous,

Gerstman & a few others I actually liked on Gamespot, if true, site, show & podcasts will be dropped by me.

Also check his personal Gamertag "Gamespotting", if its switched might be a sign

Kittonwy

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2?
Indifferent2.gif

Who's shocked to see people happy about this? They cried when he gave an 8.8 game 8.8, it's not that huge of a step to be happy that he lost his job when he gave a 6.0 game 6.0.

See what I did there?

BrandNew said:
meh, must we talk about this again?
Nop, not at all.

Video game reviews seem to be in some sort of crisis at the moment though, they hold far too much weight I think. We need cheaper, shorter games with demos for everything in my opinion, more digital distribution would be nice.

skip

Jonnyboy117 said:
Can anyone really confirm that Jeff was or was not fired this week? Scandal aside, I will stop listening to the Hot Spot and stop going to GameSpot if he really was fired, for any reason. If he left voluntarily to pursue some other interest, then okay.

mosaic (OP) is a long time GS writer.

Y2Kev said:
Tomb Raider Anniversary was their last good game I think. So...June.

Heh, somehow I knew the answer would be Tomb Raider-related. That's half the problem, Eidos is a company essentially founded off the mega-success of one franchise, but they had no idea how to build on it. They killed their own golden goose while also failing to branch out with other successful non-TR games. That company has always, always been more about marketing and image than just making quality games. Kane & Lynch is really an archetypical Eidos product - gritty, press-baiting story line, state-of-the-art marketing, mediocre game.

Not saying any of this Gamestop stuff is true, but it certainly has the whiff of verisimilitude when you consider that Eidos is a company that relies more heavily on marketing/PR spin than most and so is more likely to throw their weight around when a major marketing partner doesn't play ball.

mosaic

go eat paint
Y2Kev said:
Fact: Jeff Gerstmann was let go yesterday. Now, whether the Kane & Lynch thing was the sole reason, that I don't have all the facts on. And I doubt Josh Larson or anyone in power at CNet would ever admit to it anyway.

mosaic said:
Fact: Jeff Gerstmann was let go yesterday. Now, whether the Kane & Lynch thing was the sole reason, that I don't have all the facts on. And I doubt Josh Larson or anyone in power at CNet would ever admit to it anyway.
If the Kane & Lynch thing is any factor at all, this is a fucking disgrace.

minus_273

Banned
Rlan said:
Gertsmaaaaaaan!!

He's been there for forever, hasn't he? He fits in very well with their whole group of people if the podcast is anything to go by.

I beleive he has been at gamespot since the beginning.. ziff days and beyond. Is this fucking true?

If the OP is joking mods need to do something...

Pachael

mosaic said:

There should be a separate thread for this, especially if the reason is K&L.

Gary Whitta said:
Heh, somehow I knew the answer would be Tomb Raider-related. That's half the problem, Eidos is a company essentially founded off the mega-success of one franchise, but they had no idea how to build on it. They killed their own golden goose while also failing to branch out with other successful non-TR games. That company has always, always been more about marketing and image than just making quality games. Kane & Lynch is really an archetypical Eidos product - gritty, press-baiting story line, state-of-the-art marketing, mediocre game.

Not saying any of this Gamestop stuff is true, but it certainly has the whiff of verisimilitude when you consider that Eidos is a company that relies more heavily on marketing/PR spin than most and so is more likely to throw their weight around when a major marketing partner doesn't play ball.

They still have Hitman, Hitman is good.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
mosaic said:

Then this is abominable if he was fired for what it looks like he was fired for.

Gary Whitta said:

Okay, yeah, that's true. But it's not right to say they don't make any good games. Crystal Dynamics is an excellent developer, and generally io is too.

duckroll

mosaic said:

So their editorial director was let go, not of his own desire to part ways, for no concrete reason? Or is there more that you cannot say? --;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom