• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

I don't get the OT title. Am I missing something here? It just doesn't strike me as being NEOGAF quality. OT' titles should should be humorous and/or snarky.

Late edit: Ah, I have been enlightened.

Thanks. It's been a fun ride, this game is friggin huge.

Ian and I were just talking about the camera and how the feedback during development didn't come through nearly as strongly as it did on the forums when the demo was released. I think next time I want feedback during development, I'll just do some sort of neogaf invitation only thing or something.

Could part of the problem be that people at the company are too close to the game? I know that after playing through the demo 4 or 5 times I pretty much stopped being bothered by the camera. I can only imagine how quickly that would happen if your job was literally to play it almost daily.

gehrig38

Those two guys were my final confirmation on my abilities as game designers:)

Way WAY back I sent an email around Reckoning combat, and some of my initial thoughts and ideas.

I received a lengthy reply, very kind, spelling out the ways in which I was about as much a newb in my questions as I could be, again it was very polite:)

The powerful piece was in the bulk of the email as I started to realize the long term vision for the combat system, and how they saw it playing out.

That's when I knew combat in Reckoning was going to be just fine without my involvement:)

Hawk269

Yeah, I'm that guy :) I'm working on the fixes personally.

And just to point people to the right place for feedback:
http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?2485-Your-feedback!-(particularly-camera)

my quote from the OP:
"Disclaimer: I cannot comment on any possible fixes, as that type of action requires many more people, technical hurdles, and all sorts of things beyond my individual control. I am seeking feedback here as the owner of the camera system, and because I want to get a clear sense of what you, the player, are experiencing."

But you can be confident that I'm fighting like hell for this fix. "If" is just a word I have to say because it's not in my power to promise anything here.

Bazooie-

Can you forward a question to whoever can answer about the LOD/Pop-In issues on the PC version of the game? It has been asked here several times and no response. It has been asked in at least 8 threads on the official forums with no response. We just want to know if it has been fixed, improved or if there is a setting we can tweak on our own to fix it?

BTW...I know it has been said, but never can say it enough that we end users really appreciate the fact that you come to these boards to post. Curt and others have been great and we all really appreciate it.

Way WAY back I sent an email around Reckoning combat, and some of my initial thoughts and ideas.

I received a lengthy reply, very kind, spelling out the ways in which I was about as much a newb in my questions as I could be, again it was very polite:)

The powerful piece was in the bulk of the email as I started to realize the long term vision for the combat system, and how they saw it playing out.

That's when I knew combat in Reckoning was going to be just fine without my involvement:)

Dear Capn BloodySock,

Nice ideas. Kindly shut up.

Love,
Joe and Ian

bazooie

Could part of the problem be that people at the company are too close to the game? I know that after playing through the demo 4 or 5 times I pretty much stopped being bothered by the camera. I can only imagine how quickly that would happen if your job was literally to play it almost daily.

Yep, exactly.

We did tons of user testing too with people who had never played the game, but I think because people can adjust pretty quickly, I didn't think any initial negative reaction was a big deal. But obviously, I was wrong!

ANYWAY. back to work.

Orca

Maybe I'm the only one that does this, but whenever I'm playing a game where I can respec - I don't. Unless I've totally TOTALLY messed up my character and can't continue, I go with what I built through to the end.

If I see that I'd really prefer to play another way, more magic-focused perhaps, then I'll just start over as that kind of character.

Hawk269

All I needed to do was play the demo once on PC...which I did. I'm there day 1. If anybody from the devs are reading this, will 3D Vision be implemented in the PC version? With how colorful and vibrant this game is, it would look sweet in 3D...

The LOD/POP IN issues in 3-D would be something interesting to see Smokey!!! lol It will be like an added 3-D effect to the game!

Let me know how it works out for you Smokey. I ordered my 3d Glasses the other day, so looking for some games with good 3d compatibility.

bazooie

Bazooie-

Can you forward a question to whoever can answer about the LOD/Pop-In issues on the PC version of the game? It has been asked here several times and no response. It has been asked in at least 8 threads on the official forums with no response. We just want to know if it has been fixed, improved or if there is a setting we can tweak on our own to fix it?

BTW...I know it has been said, but never can say it enough that we end users really appreciate the fact that you come to these boards to post. Curt and others have been great and we all really appreciate it.

Yeah, I'll get back to you on it. ETA 24 hrs.

Hawk269

Dear Capn BloodySock,

Love,
Joe and Ian

Wow....that is classic right there. It seems like you guys have a great working relationship. It is always fun to be able to joke around and poke fun at the boss! That alone makes me even more of a fan of your company!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think next time I want feedback during development, I'll just do some sort of neogaf invitation only thing or something.

Hey, it seemed to work for Naughty Dog!

Wow....that is classic right there. It seems like you guys have a great working relationship. It is always fun to be able to joke around and poke fun at the boss! That alone makes even more of fan of your company!

Just to clarify, I made that up and I'm in no way associated with the game.

1stStrike

Banned
I played the demo for this the other day on PS3. It's a bit glitchy, at least in the demo, with some weird bugs (such as enemies turning into giant polygons and expanding before vanishing), and the combat feels a bit too button mashy to me for an RPG.

I did play it for the full 45 minutes. I got to the first town, started a quest, and then I couldn't help but start robbing people and ended up killing everyone in the town (and subsequently failed the quest).

It's really easy to just get a staff and button mash everyone to death, though. I'm hoping it gets more difficult later.

ReaperXL7

Would imgur be a better place to host the stuff for the OT? First lesson learned about doing OTs, don't use photobucket.....

Syrionus

Neo Member

Ian and I were just talking about the camera and how the feedback during development didn't come through nearly as strongly as it did on the forums when the demo was released. I think next time I want feedback during development, I'll just do some sort of neogaf invitation only thing or something.

Hey I will come work for your QA team. I keed. Anyway, definately would love to get involved with an invite only testing.

On a different note, I have read a lot about KoA:R and have watched this game grow with anticipation over the last few months but I just realized there is something that I don't know about it. Is there a weather cycle and/or a day/night cycle?

Well Curt, I have to admit it seems that from top to bottom you have gotten some of the best in the industry. Like I said, love your attitude and passion for pretty much everything in life. I knew you were a smart guy but you have pulled together a real winning team. Not sure many other people could have pulled this off but I want to send you a big congratulations to you and your companies. Keep this up and you will find a loyal fan for life in me.

Dear Capn BloodySock,

Love,
Joe and Ian

That was pretty polite. I can do better.

Dear Baseball Superman,

Swell ideas. Please leave it to the pros.

Supply says we are all out of pink slips,
Joe and Ian

Effect

Finally decided not to take a chance. Not until the camera has been fixed and there is proof the frame rate was locked down compared to what was in the demo. Promises to fix the camera are just that promises and those are broken all the time. If someone (that works on the game) is fighting for a fix that doesn't give me any confidence that it will be addressed. $60 or even $45 if preordered in some places is just to much money to me if big issues may only "possibly" be fixed.

Maybe I'm the only one that does this, but whenever I'm playing a game where I can respec - I don't. Unless I've totally TOTALLY messed up my character and can't continue, I go with what I built through to the end.

If I see that I'd really prefer to play another way, more magic-focused perhaps, then I'll just start over as that kind of character.

And what if you make this decision after logging say.... 50 hours into the game.

Would you really play through that much of the game against just so you can redo a few skill points?

scy

Hey I will come work for your QA team. I keed. Anyway, definately would love to get involved with an invite only testing.

I hate my job enough that QA sounds like a good upgrade. Too bad Texas is so far away~

Anyway, ideally a final version of my 79 Finesse/44 Sorcery build. Two one-point wonder skills of Lunge and Healing Surge. Not much to be done to shift them around so I'm satisfied with them.

The bow skills are just sort of "there" but at least Barbed Arrows lets me get some bleed procs in to fuel Execution. Feels sort of wasted but my other option for those ~9 points are most likely Frost Trap ... that I won't use.

NIN90

What I hate about multi-post OPs is that it's so freaking hard to find the release date. Just put it along with some other general info at the start of the first post FFS.

Demo was decent, but I've been playing so much Skyrim that it's a completely different beast. I'm also not done with Skyrim, so I'll probably wait for the price drop on this one. Amazon will probably have it for $40 by the end of March. Of course by then I'll definitely be into ME3.

Sigh.

So many games, so little time.

Is there any reason not to invest a skill point in Detect Hidden? Being able to see enemy positions on the map is so valuable it is crazy.

mrpeabody

Like everyone else, my interest level went from zero to a million with the demo. Will there be a way to turn off the minimap (or maybe toggle the hud entirely)? Would help with immersion.

Haunted

Looks like someone didn't know that photobucket doesn't hold up when a GAF attacks in full force.

Oddly enough, that has greatly increased the readability of the OP. :D

RdN

I'm picking this one, for sure. Really liked the demo, and knowing that the issues are not present in the final version is awesome.

Also, I'm a big fan, Curt!

Demo was decent, but I've been playing so much Skyrim that it's a completely different beast. I'm also not done with Skyrim, so I'll probably wait for the price drop on this one. Amazon will probably have it for $40 by the end of March. Of course by then I'll definitely be into ME3.

Sigh.

So many games, so little time.

I don't think it will drop that fast, honestly. They will be running ads during the Super Bowl on Feb 5th and think that alone could drive sales for quite some time at 60 bucks. It will probably drop like all games do but I'm thinking it will last past the end of March for sure. I just see this one having legs due to a great push from EA, Big Huge Games and the demo.

chifanpoe

Sign me up!

Keep in mind we are a hard group to please. I'm trying to think of an anology involving beautiful women and swinging hormone levels. Anyways, picture us on the BAD side of that spectrum.lol

It may be fun to casually date us, but don't enter our homes whatever you do!

;)

ReaperXL7

Looks like someone didn't know that photobucket doesn't hold up when a GAF attacks in full force.

Oddly enough, that has greatly increased the readability of the OP. :D

Lol nope wish I had though, feelin pretty salty atm. Going to fix it in the morning since I'm at work and can,t fix it from my phone.

Also put in a request for subtitle change to something more crazy ken flavored.

Wallach

THAT sounds like a demo bug. There is "hit pause" that is intentional. It's literally one frame.

Definitely is. There's a weird in-combat status bug where the game will just full-on halt for a few seconds. Happens at least once per run I would guess.

Orca

And what if you make this decision after logging say.... 50 hours into the game.

Would you really play through that much of the game against just so you can redo a few skill points?

Sure, if I could still finish it with the other guy. I tend to have a theme in mind for the character - a stealthy ranged guy, or focusing on fire spells, things like that. Seems like 'cheating' the roleplaying experience to just up and change the guy because something seems better.

Most of the time games give you plenty of opportunities to find out how you'll want to play the game before you have to lock in too much. I don't think I could name any that would have some major change 50 hours in.

Haunted

Lol nope wish I had though, feelin pretty salty atm. Going to fix it in the morning since I'm at work and can,t fix it from my phone.

Also put in a request for subtitle change to something more crazy ken flavored.
Don't worry about it. imgur or abload should hold up.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
THAT sounds like a demo bug. There is "hit pause" that is intentional. It's literally one frame.

I love when devs put in a hit pause, especially when there's a hit flash to go with it.

gehrig38

I think that's the inherent beauty of the destiny system. You can re do your skill 1 to whatever at any time, or tweak, grabbing and committing 4 to 10 points over a few levels and thinking of another possible build, then going back if you don't like the initial path to tweak your latest choices.

Or, if you aren't feeling it, go back and redo your entire build, practice that new build on some townsfolk, and get after it:)

Nista

Keep in mind we are a hard group to please. I'm trying to think of an anology involving beautiful women and swinging hormone levels. Anyways, picture us on the BAD side of that spectrum.lol

It may be fun to casually date us, but don't enter our homes whatever you do!

;)

You make Girl-GAF sad, DrKM. Perhaps you should use the more accurate "bunch of forever-alone angry-nerd dudebros who hate everything" analogy? :p

This is the calm before the storm though.

People sure do have short memories if they don't get the subtitle. You could have a subtitle for each day of the week if you go with crazy Ken quotes, however.

thetrin

I think that's the inherent beauty of the destiny system. You can re do your skill 1 to whatever at any time, or tweak, grabbing and committing 4 to 10 points over a few levels and thinking of another possible build, then going back if you don't like the initial path to tweak your latest choices.

Or, if you aren't feeling it, go back and redo your entire build, practice that new build on some townsfolk, and get after it:)

Well, it will definitely get me to experiment a lot more.

scy

I really hope to do enough theorycrafting to not have to tweak my builds once I'm playing :x

thetrin

I really hope to do enough theorycrafting to not have to tweak my builds once I'm playing :x

I think half the fun is experimentation. I never fully understand a build until I'm trying it out.

scy

I think half the fun is experimentation. I never fully understand a build until I'm trying it out.

True; a lot of my build right now is down to figuring out how well it actually flows in game (and if my weapon choice is solid, though that's an easy fix anyway).

Actually, based on Curt's response, I'm guessing there's no training dummies to beat on? Dang :| Was hoping for something like that for number crunching.

Top Bottom