• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2012

M3d10n

Can anybody download the free Goomba lesson in Art Academy? I checked both the add-on shop and the Spotpass notifications and I don't see it anywhere.

Did you enable spotpass in Art Academy? Check the options. Yo can also try forcing the game to check for stuff by selecting "share" then " delivery check".

Also, I just checked and the Goomba lesson can be re-shared with friends. We can exchange friend codes via PM and I can share it with you if you want.

also

Banned
Another recommendation for Gunman Clive.
After ~12 hours and many retries I managed to beat all the stages fast enough to get all the stars and complete every stage without taking damage. Racing against the clock makes you really appreciate the surprisingly varied level design and requires you to think (or should I say shoot?) ahead and carefully plan every jump. Both playable characters control quite differently which forces you to rethink your approach when you are aiming for the stars. Then there's also the unlockable
duck
mode that gives you yet another reason to replay the stages since you can't
shoot and are forced to evade all enemies
not to mention the completely different character movement.
The game looks and sounds great; just watch the trailer.
My only minor, and I really mean minor, complaints would be
-I wish the ending cutscene was a little longer and more humorous; after the funny trailer and unexpected plot twist I was expecting a little more.
-The randomness of enemies and stage hazards in some of the levels; it won't really affect you during a normal playthrough but it can mess up your run when you are trying to get those stars.
-You can't really differentiate between the gun power-ups before you pick them up and they drop randomly; again, mostly an issue when you are trying to speed run the levels.
-The manual is kind of bare bones: it should have really mentioned that every level has a no damage and time ''achievement'' or it should have been done in-game. Speed running the levels greatly extended my play time and elevated Gunman Clive from a good game to a great one.
-Minor stability issues; the game froze on me 4 times. Twice during a boss and twice after finishing a level. Not a huge issue since I didn't really lose any progress (the game saved my completion time and the bosses are their own level so they can be easily refought), but still worth mentioning.

Anyone who likes run and gun platformers should get this and even if you are not fan of the genre you should still try it out! It's only 1,99€/£1,99!

beril

Only own a Japan system... Is there any chance that Gunman Clive going to Japan eshop? :(

There's a chance, but I can't say much more than that yet. I can't publish it myself over there so I will have to partner with a japanese company

Another recommendation for Gunman Clive.
After ~12 hours and many retries I managed to beat all the stages fast enough to get all the stars and complete every stage without taking damage. Racing against the clock makes you really appreciate the surprisingly varied level design and requires you to think (or should I say shoot?) ahead and carefully plan every jump. Both playable characters control quite differently which forces you to rethink your approach when you are aiming for the stars. Then there's also the unlockable
duck
mode that gives you yet another reason to replay the stages since you can't
shoot and are forced to evade all enemies
not to mention the completely different character movement.
The game looks and sounds great; just watch the trailer.
My only minor, and I really mean minor, complaints would be
-I wish the ending cutscene was a little longer and more humorous; after the funny trailer and unexpected plot twist I was expecting a little more.
-The randomness of enemies and stage hazards in some of the levels; it won't really affect you during a normal playthrough but it can mess up your run when you are trying to get those stars.
-You can't really differentiate between the gun power-ups before you pick them up and they drop randomly; again, mostly an issue when you are trying to speed run the levels.
-The manual is kind of bare bones: it should have really mentioned that every level has a no damage and time ''achievement'' or it should have been done in-game. Speed running the levels greatly extended my play time and elevated Gunman Clive from a good game to a great one.
-Minor stability issues; the game froze on me 4 times. Twice during a boss and twice after finishing a level. Not a huge issue since I didn't really lose any progress (the game saved my completion time and the bosses are their own level so they can be easily refought), but still worth mentioning.

Anyone who likes run and gun platformers should get this and even if you are not fan of the genre you should still try it out! It's only 1,99€/£1,99!

Wow, I really didn't expect people to spend 12 hours on it, that's some dedication! Cheers

Some more people have reported on the crash on the second boss, though the level transition bug seems a bit more rare. I'm doing my best to locate the bugs and fix them but still haven't gotten any crashes myself, and I can't do any more proper debugging until after christmas.

I really recommend people buy Gunman Clive,

I actually enjoyed playing through it more than Mutant Mudds which I also really love,

the levels have a nice mix of variety,they are short & fun & clearly influenced by some classic games.

I played it in 3D & thought it looked great on my 3DSXL, love the art style & the colours seemed to help the 3D have no crosstalk whatsoever which is a plus.

(btw I haven't encountered any bugs or crashes)

I didn't want the game to end so soon & would have loved more content but I already feel contempt with just a normal play through & look forward to now playing through perfecting on hard mode.

Considering the £2 price tag which I wish more eshop games were priced at, £3 max for most games I feel is just right for me.

I find it as a customer unjustifiable that Mutant Mudds is priced so high compared to the IOS app store versions price)

Would really like to buy escapeVektor 3D now but without a Demo & at the price of £8 (would have preferred half the content for £3) especially with all the xmas sales elsewhere on other systems I am struggling to fork out for it just yet.

All this talk of Gunman Clive intrigued me, £2 is a bargain so i've given it a shot and despite the game just freezing on my during the second boss (the boss itself slapping a goofy grin on my face) this is great fun, you've all steered me in the right direction.

The audio and visuals are really nice as well, i've been slacking on e-shop purchases as of late and have managed to build up a wishlist of games to get around to buying at some point, yet this one completely flew under my radar which is criminal but here it is purchased before any of the wish list, the power of cheaper pricing at work.

also

Banned
Wow, I really didn't expect people to spend 12 hours on it, that's some dedication! Cheers

Some more people have reported on the crash on the second boss, though the level transition bug seems a bit more rare. I'm doing my best to locate the bugs and fix them but still haven't gotten any crashes myself, and I can't do any more proper debugging until after christmas.
I really liked the level design and I wanted to nail those jumps. Figuring out the best path and subsequently breezing through the levels as the enemies meet their doom one after the other is really satisfying, especially when it looks and sounds so nice. The super responsive menus and instant respawn also make speed running the levels so much better. Please, keep your next game as snappy as Gunman Clive.
I also experienced trouble when facing the 2nd boss. The game didn't crash but it slowed down to a crawl and eventually it began going back and forth between the same 2 frames. It was like this:
-it uses its breath attack-->I'm hit in the air-->I fall down on the power up that had spawned and crouch-->slowdown, I wait and hope that after the breath attack goes off screen the game will resume playing at normal speed--> the game start going back and forth between 2 frames-->I quit the game using the home button
-it uses its breath attack--> I drop down on the power up that had spawned and crouch--> the game slows down and almost immediately starts going back and forth between 2 frames--> I quit with the home button
The level transition glitch only happened after extended periods of continuous play time (maybe ~2 hours) and many many retries.
As I said before, these two bugs are really minor issues due to the way the game is structured and how rare it is, so no one should skip this game because of it.

I'm really looking forward to what you come up with next and hope you enjoy your holidays.

Crashed on me on the second boss as well. Could exit over home menu just fine though. Dunno what triggered it.

beril

-it uses its breath attack--> I drop down on the power up that had spawned and crouch--> the game slows down and almost immediately starts going back and forth between 2 frames--> I quit with the home button

Thanks, that makes it a lot easier to narrow it down; it's a GPU crash, possibly shader related or commandbuffer overflow. I finally got it once myself now as well, but I won't be able to narrow it down much more or debug it properly until I get back from my parents house.

At least it doesn't seem that frequent, going by the amount of time I've spent looking for it and trying to reproduce it afterwards. Has anyone gotten that bug when playing in 2D btw, or did you all play in 3D? That could help me rule out one possible cause

also

Banned
Thanks, that makes it a lot easier to narrow it down; it's a GPU crash, possibly shader related or commandbuffer overflow. I finally got it once myself now as well, but I won't be able to narrow it down much more or debug it properly until I get back from my parents house.

At least it doesn't seem that frequent, going by the amount of time I've spent looking for it and trying to reproduce it afterwards. Has anyone gotten that bug when playing in 2D btw, or did you all play in 3D? That could help me rule out one possible cause

You're welcome. I played exclusively in 3D.

Chunky

Yo GAF, need some help.
I grabbed a £15 download card when I was out Christmas shopping yesterday and (being a Matsuno fan) got Crimson Shroud right off. Now I've got about 8 quid and can't decide on Fallblox or Denpa Men. Anyone want to help my indecisive ass out?
Or maybe there's some other game I should be looking out for?

zroid

Banned
Yo GAF, need some help.
I grabbed a £15 download card when I was out Christmas shopping yesterday and (being a Matsuno fan) got Crimson Shroud right off. Now I've got about 8 quid and can't decide on Fallblox or Denpa Men. Anyone want to help my indecisive ass out?
Or maybe there's some other game I should be looking out for?

Have you played Pullblox? If you liked Pullblox, then get Fallblox.

If you haven't played Pullblox, get Pullblox.

If you didn't like Pullblox, get Denpa Men*. :)

escape clause: if the only reason you didn't like Pullblox was because the tutorial was too long, then get Fallblox

enishi

There's a chance, but I can't say much more than that yet. I can't publish it myself over there so I will have to partner with a japanese company

Thanks for the effort. Even if it does not arrive Japan eshop, I will buy a copy on App Store to support. Even though I prefer real buttons...

Chunky

Have you played Pullblox? If you liked Pullblox, then get Fallblox.

If you haven't played Pullblox, get Pullblox.

If you didn't like Pullblox, get Denpa Men*. :)

escape clause: if the only reason you didn't like Pullblox was because the tutorial was too long, then get Fallblox
Loved Pullblox actually; didn't realise the tutorial was a problem till I saw the GAF reaction lol.
The problem is I loved the Denpa Men demo. Maybe I'll take your advice and chuck Denpa on the 'ol wish list.

beril

So I'm back with my debugger after the christmas celebrations.

As I suspected, the train boss bug is a command buffer overflow, which should be easy enough to fix. There's a few other issues I need to look into as well and then there's the whole process of releasing a patch/update that I haven't relly looked into yet. It could take a while, especially during the holidays. In the meantime you should be able to avoid any risk of running into the bug by turning off 3D during that fight, as there's only about half the render commands in 2D.

FUCK!!!

I didnt know 1080 degrees was a CN reward this month!

Is there an email alert or something I can sign up for?

EDIT - Yay, the deadline was extended! Thanks, GAF!

Bought 3D Space Harrier from the JP shop. I think it might be my favorite eShop game now.

Can't wait to see which game is up next. (Hopefully AfterBurner II!) Was a pleasant surprise to see that M2 was behind the port as well.

BriBri

Any chance we get Nano Assault this week in Europe? I thought it was supposed to come out in December.
All I got is a December date for that so theoretically. But Nintendo release dates are like a wife who cheated in the past, you never can quite trust her.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Update about Gunman Clive: It's seventh in the general current Italian top 10, and 6th in the only 3DS downloadables one. 7 reviews.

Your game is having amazing legs in Italy. And this without being on the main page.

So, European fellas, how is beril's game doing in other countries?

thomaser

Bought Gunman Clive today, and finished it as well :) Really liked it! Impressed with the design of the stages... it's more restrained than many indie games usually are, and the difficulty curve is just right. The visuals are really cool. Kudos for the low price, too. The game is worth more!

Edit: Gunman Clive is 5th on the Recent Bestsellers list in Norway. 15 reviews and five stars.

Drago

Super Mario Bros. 3 on the Japanese eShop next week http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/vc/tabj/index.html

donaldduck-funny-gifs-have-ever-been-so-mad-that-you.gif

This should be a worldwide release WTF

vdlow

40 minutes is somewhat shorter than I expected, but still day one for Gunman Clive. I'll surely be updating you about the situation in the Brazilian eShop.

@MUWANdo

Banned
We're only just getting Lost Levels this week, which Japan got ages ago, and we still have to get through SMB2 before we'll get SMB3. I'd be surprised if we get it at any point within the next six months.

Top Bottom