• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

endbannerFINAL.png

headerbasicscopy2lnucr.jpg

Title | Max Payne 3
Platforms | PS3, X-Box 360, PC
Genre | Third Person Action/Crime Shooter
Developer | Rockstar Games
Publisher | Rockstar Games

Release Dates

PS3/360 | North America May 15 | Europe May 18
PC | North America May 29 | Europe June 1

Ratings | PEGI: 18+ | ESRB: M (Mature)

Official Site

Metacritic | No Reviews Yet

PC Specs

Max Payne 3 PC System Specifications

Operating System:
Windows 7 32/64 Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 32/64 Service Pack 2, Windows XP 32/64 Service Pack 3

Processor:
Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHZ - i7 3930K 6 Core x 3.06 GHZ / AMD Dual Core 2.6 GHZ - FX8150 8 Core x 3.6 GHZ

RAM:
2GB - 16GB

Video Card:
NVIDIA® 8600 GT 512MB VRAM – NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680 2GB VRAM / Radeon HD 3400 512MB VRAM - Radeon HD 7970 3GB VRAM

Sound Card:
100% Direct X 9.0 compatible – Direct X 9.0 compatible supporting Dolby Digital Live

HDD Space:
35 GB

maxpayne3-weapon-the67ku8s.jpg

headereditionscopy271ue9.jpg

Standard Edition

GAME-MAX3-360-DETAIL-00.jpg
GAME-MAX3-PS3-DETAIL-00.jpg
GAME-MAX3-PC-DETAIL-00.jpg

Collector's Edition

order-itemsmtyhy.jpg

The Collector's Edition includes the following:

A 10” Max Payne statue in his Collateral-esque suit
Disorderly Conduct Multiplayer Weapons Pack
Original Still Life Art Prints
Classic Multiplayer Character Pack
Bullet Key Chain
The Official Soundtrack featuring music by HEALTH

headerpreviouslycopy2hvu11.jpg

”The past is a gaping hole. You try to run from it, but the more you run, the deeper, more terrible it grows behind you, its edges yawning at your heels. Your only chance is to turn around and face it. But it's like looking down into the grave of your love, or kissing the mouth of a gun, a bullet trembling in its dark nest, ready to blow your head off.”

Max Payne 1 Summary

Undercover, framed for the murder of his best friend, haunted by the death of his family, DEA Agent Max Payne ventured into the criminal underworld to find out the truth behind his friend's death and the source of the designer drug, Valkyr during the worst blizzard in New York history. As he pursues his investigation and his ultimate goal of vengeance, he's hunted by the police, backstabbing bastards, the Mafia, hired assassins, and a mysterious and very powerful criminal syndicate.

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne Summary

Two years after the events of the first game, Max has returned to the NYPD as a Homicide Detective, but still a broken man from his experiences. His latest investigation into a group of contract killers reveals a greater conspiracy at play, bringing him face-to-face with the ghosts of his past and continues his spiral into chaos and self-destruction.

headerstorycopy2mruag.jpg

”When had I ever gone looking for trouble? It found me, no matter where I hid.”

For Max Payne, the tragedies that took his loved ones years ago are wounds that refuse to heal. No longer a cop, close to washed up and addicted to pain killers, Max takes a job in São Paulo, Brazil, protecting the family of wealthy real estate mogul Rodrigo Branco, in an effort to finally escape his troubled past. But as events spiral out of his control, Max Payne finds himself alone on the streets of an unfamiliar city, desperately searching for the truth and fighting for a way out. From the back alleys of a snowy New York City to the desperate and poverty-stricken favelas of Sao Paulo, Brazil, Max must face his demons and find meaning in the wasted remains of his life as he once again journeys through the night... and into the day.

rsg_mp3_105t1azr.jpg

headerfeaturescopy2a8ujl.jpg

“Life knows two miseries; getting what you don't want and not getting what you want.”

An engrossing crime drama written by Dan Houser, writer of Bully, Grand Theft Auto IV, and Red Dead Redemption, developed by Rockstar Games, and starring James McCaffrey, the original voice of Max Payne in a full acting role.

Developed by the entirety of Rockstar Games. Every studio has had a hand in Max Payne 3's creation, with Rockstar Vancouver as the lead developers.

Powered by the RAGE Engine (the same engine used in GTA4 and RDR). This is Rockstar's first Third Person Linear Shooter using the RAGE Engine. Going linear has allowed them to increase the depth and detail of each environment substantially.

Euphoria is back in Max Payne 3, and it is glorious. This is the most advanced use of Euphoria to date, giving Max the most realistic animation in a Rockstar game yet as well as many, many more realistic death animations for the very bad men Max faces off against. These may just be the most realistic gunfights in a modern-day shooter. Every hit reaction is modeled realistically, as well as the gun mechanisms, recoil, Max's animations, damage to the environment, etc.

Bullet-Time and Shoot-Dodge also make a triumphant return. With the push of a button, you can slow down time and get the edge on the enemy. Combined with the more detail created by the RAGE Engine and the Euphoria-powered animations, our eyes will probably bleed in amazement.

For the first time, Multiplayer is now a part of the Max Payne franchise.

maxpayne3-2066-128048zrl.jpg

headermultiplayercopyy7uwj.jpg

“You play, you pay, you bastard.”

Blutonium has been kind enough to create a Google spread-sheet for NeoGAF members to add their information when we form our own Crews within the game:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjZX8Rqd0ALddDlQcHd0MnN6X1JLWDB1dTBIdTNNdEE#gid=0

The Official NeoGAF crew has been set up:

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/neogang - open to all platforms.

If you'd like to join, head to the link and request an invite. You must be a member of the R* Social Club.

Max Payne has always been a Single Player game, but with the third game, Rockstar Games has added a Multiplayer Mode in conjunction with the Single Player. There are several modes and new innovations to be included in Max Payne 3's Multiplayer.

Bullet-Time

Yes, Bullet-Time is in Multiplayer. It is a Burst that can be equipped and used after building up adrenaline through kills. Bullet-Time works by Line-of-Sight. So, if you activate Bullet-Time, anyone that you can see, or that can see you are slowed down as well. You get an aiming speed advantage over everyone else to make up for this. If you are in Bullet-Time, simply escape from the Line-of-Sight and you'll revert back to normal speed.

Bursts

Bursts are Max Payne 3's equivalent to perks. Your character can be customized by various perks. An example list of Bursts appear below:

Paranoia Burst: A Level 1 Paranoia Burst makes your opponents teammates appear as enemies. Level 2 does this and turns on friendly fire so your opponents start killing each other.
Weapon Double Dealer Burst: A Level 1 WDD Burst deactivates the enemy team's special weapon attachments. Level 3 causes all enemies who are holding grenades to drop them, live, at their feet.
Grounded Burst: A Level 1 Grounded Burst removes a the player from the enemy team's minimap. Level 2 removes your entire team from the enemy minimap. At Level 3, this burst actually puts false information on the enemy's minimap.
Slippery Character Burst: At Level 1, this burst drops a smoke bomb and gives you unlimited stamina to escape. Level 2 does the same thing, with unlimited stamina until death and a flashbang to blind pursuing enemies. Level 3 gives this burst to everyone on your team.
The Trigger Happy burst gives you better guns. The Big Dog burst gives you more health. In-game items bought with in-game currency can nullify some of the burst effects.

There are various Bursts that are also pre-order goodies, look around in online retailers to see what you might get. Bursts are also earned by leveling up (obviously). Each Burst will have three levels, and each level requires more adrenaline than the previous one to activate.

Vendettas

If you are killed twice in a row by the same person, you can initiate a vendetta. This will reveal your enemy's location on the map. If you kill them, you get bonus XP. But if they survive and kill you, they get the bonus XP.

Modes

There are a few different modes in Max Payne 3. While it will have standard modes such as Death Match, Team Death Match, there are two new modes worth noting:

Gang Wars

Gang Wars is Rockstar's attempt at integrating narrative into Multiplayer and is the centerpiece mode for Max Payne 3's Multiplayer. Events that happen in the Single Player story are used as starting points for the narrative in Gang Wars. The storyline dynamically shifts based on the actions and victories of each match. Each Gang War will have five chapters, and each Chapter features one of ten different game types. Each Gang War is also narrated by McCaffrey.

Payne Killer

This mode is a Multiplayer update of New York Minute, essentially. Whichever players get the first two kills become Max and his buddy Passos. They get tougher weapons and more painkillers. Everyone else... well you have to go and kill them. If you kill either Max or Passos, you become them, and now everyone has to kill you. Sounds fun.

Crews

Crews is a new concept for Rockstar's Multiplayer games. You can join public crews formed by Rockstar or create your own private crews (up to 200 people in a crew and it can be customized by members). Playing in a crew will net you extra XP which help you when it comes to unlocking new weapons and bursts. You can also feud with rival crews (though this honestly seems like a terrible idea. We'll have crazy people like those whacked out people who drag their Facebook rivalries into real life. You just watch, some Bloods or Crips will lose a match in the game and their Crew will be like “Let's fucking kick some real ass!”).

Crews also will follow from game-to-game. So crews formed in Max Payne 3 will go with you when you jump to Grand Theft Auto V's multiplayer.

maxpayne3-2051-1280lha31.jpg

maxpayne3-2052-1280wdxkt.jpg

headeravatarcopy2lju1k.jpg

“When you're waking up, the world is a blur. What was clear in a dream, suddenly makes no sense. No surreal rescues. No easy, magic way out. But you are awake."

maxopmava2.png
maxopmava.png
mp.png
mp2.png
maxpayne3_reckoning_256x256.png

GamesTM_UK_-_Issue_120_2012-51.png
Max-PaynePCava.png
DONE.png
2zphw10myz10.png
16_preview-229faua.png

maxpayne3_maxartwork63tzez.png
opmmaxbyyrj.png
payn2ava8xbd0.jpg
payneava57ya3.png
probe1w2xuj.png

psm387lc6.png
rsg_mp3_108testav8aot.png
958969_20111108_screekex04.jpg
8882274440adrgafx8bav.png
bg0ybir.png

inhaltnmyu0.png
max2allw6.png
max3oly3g.png
maxpayne345aus.png
maxpayne3-201hbl77.png

Thanks to Simo for making all of these!

headerscreens2copy2lvuqx.jpg

“The past is a puzzle, like a broken mirror. As you piece it together, you cut yourself, your image keeps shifting. And you change with it. It could destroy you, drive you mad. It could set you free.”

maxpayne3multiediteuribu9y.jpg

headervideocopy2kzuql.jpg

“The trick in my situation was that there was no trick, no matter what the movies tell you. No rules, no secret mantra, no road map. It wasn't about how smart or how good you were. It was chaos and luck, and anyone who thought different was a fool. All you could do was to hang on madly, as long and hard as you could.”

Trailers

Trailer 1 – Hell of a Hangover
Trailer 2 – Get the Girl
TV Spot feat. HEALTH
LAUNCH TRAILER

Design & Technology Docu-Trailers

Similar to those released for Red Dead Redemption, these videos go in-depth into the mechanics and other elements of Max Payne, including gameplay, sound, visuals, and narrative (light on spoilers though).

Creating a Cutting-Edge Shooter
Targeting and Weapons
Visual Effects and Cinematics
Bullet-Time
Multiplayer Part 1
Multiplayer Part 2

Weapons Showcase

Max Payne 3 has guns. Lots of guns. Some of them are described here(Videos and 360 degree renders):

608 Bull
Mini-30
SMGs
Shotguns
1911 .45 – Max's favourite from Day 1.
Assault Rifles

maxpayne3-2021-1920sojua.jpg

headerreviewscopy2kdk6p.jpg

“I knew the appetites of fanboys intimately. They hungered for revenge.”

Will be updated next week

”The word was out. A deadly virus released into the City's corrupt circulatory system. Something wicked this way comes. Max Payne at large.”

mp3otstingers9aer.jpg

Thanks to Simo for his help with the OT and contacting Rockstar and roping them into this mess of an OT, he is awesome. Thanks to Rockstar for sending us the font and making a special banner for us too. Thanks to Blutonium for doing the multiplayer spreadsheet. And thanks to you, the reader, for obviously reading everything up there, including the Bloods and Crips comment. We are through the looking glass, people.

Release... THE GIFS.

dreamfall

I mean, WOW. WHOAWESOME! I know it is a day early (but that excitement!). So. READY!

Such beautiful banners. My goodness. Great OT!

Haunted

Settle on one banner of the four, remove the random screens inbetween sections and you've got yourself a proper OT.

Pretty graphics. ^_^

Grisby

"I had a horrible feeling I was trapped inside of a video game forum."

Yeppers, can't wait and great OT. Now what version to decide on.

Simo

I never thought I'd see the day I would be posting in a OT for another Max Payne game.

7 days, 23 hours and 26 minutes.

Great OP! So I got a couple of questions for you bros:

Wasn't following this game at all (never played the first two) but after seeing some videos of this in action, it looks TERRIFIC.

If you preorder the game on Steam, you get the first two free. My question is, how do they hold up today? Do they play well on the PC? Worth a playthrough or should I just wiki the plot? Graphics not an issue for me, mainly interested in how the gameplay holds up...

Great OP! So I got a couple of questions for you bros:

Wasn't following this game at all (never played the first two) but after seeing some videos of this in action, it looks TERRIFIC.

If you preorder the game on Steam, you get the first two free. My question is, how do they hold up today? Do they play well on the PC? Worth a playthrough or should I just wiki the plot? Graphics not an issue for me, mainly interested in how the gameplay holds up...

There's a Replay Thread that answers all those questions, but...

Both hold up pretty well, but Max Payne 2 holds up much, much better than it's predecessor. Games don't take too long to finish, average about 7 hours for the first one, 6 for the second. The wiki links are in the OT if you don't have time.

But great gameplay still.

Nemesis_

I really wanna know about Max Payne and Max Payne 2, is there anywhere on YouTube or elsewhere that edits them together to make a "movie" of sorts? Or should I just go for text summaries :(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really wanna know about Max Payne and Max Payne 2, is there anywhere on YouTube or elsewhere that edits them together to make a "movie" of sorts? Or should I just go for text summaries :(

You should just play them. They still look great on PC.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh my, I will play the crap out of this once I'm "done" with Diablo 3...

Whenever that is.

Great job with the OT!

Endo Punk

the-rock-clapping.gif

Nicely done. Extremely pumped for the game. I think Im gonna watch some classic John Woo films till it gets released.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
PS3 limited edition for me. I must be the only person who could care less about Diablo III. For me, it's all about the other threequel. Welcome back, Max.

And the Porsche expansion for Forza 4. That, too.

dreamfall

We're back! Just been listening to a ton of HEALTH. And waiting. And some more waiting. That new Social Club revamp is really awesome though!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Really excited for this, and well done OP. I'll admit to a bit of shame since I only recently played the first two games, but I am really hyped for this. I just hope that R* doesn't forget to put in the dream-type surreal sequences that were so interesting in the first two games, or that enemies need personality. Listening to them chat before I came in to kill them was actually really effective adding another layer to your enemies.

Besides that though,

Happy_Alligator.gif

Top Bottom