• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

antitrop

I don't know what Rent/Buy has to do with quality outside of enthusiast collectors.

This is one of the best games of the year, but you should rent it because it takes like 12 hours to beat, doesn't demand a replay, and the multiplayer is fun, but derivative and not really worth anyone's time.

Or buy on PC for the best experience, I pre-ordered it for $35 which I felt was acceptable.

RagnarokX

It's a blockbuster action adventure game... They aren't suppose to be "challenging," they are suppose to be "thrilling experiences." That's the lay of the land these days, and what's selling. I'm pleased CD managed to sneak so many "game systems" into the experience, that's all I mean. So in that sense, it's better than I was expecting. If it is reward/challenge you're looking for, that's the indie scene these days.

That's a pretty pessimistic outlook. I don't think lowering my expectations, rolling over, and taking it is good for me or the industry; games are just going to stagnate if they keep homogenizing and getting less complex and creative. I had low expectations for this game based on what I had seen of it and it was still below them because I thought that despite all of the footage they'd shown there would be a decent amount of clever tombs/puzzles/platforming/exploration somewhere in the game. The Batman games came out this generation, were major blockbusters, and had ton more reward/challenge to its gameplay systems. Why would I give CD a pass if they couldn't even match the quality of a game they heavily borrowed from. It's like a very dumbed down Arkham Asylum. If games can't be good anymore because they are wasting most of their money on cinematics then maybe the industry needs to rethink priorities. You can still give a thrilling experience and have gameplay.

Malo

Banned
Just finished it, and it was a very good game, had tons of fun with it. Going to see if I can get 100% completion I beat it at 85%.

Ding-Ding

Just finished the game with 100%.

Really surprised as I was sceptical of this reboot and I got to say I really enjoyed it. The only thing I was disappointed with is there wasn't enough optional tombs and what there were, was a little on the small side.

The inclusion of a bow was a great idea and well executed. Beats the hell out of dual wielding pistols.

J.ceaz

Really surprised as I was sceptical of this reboot and I got to say I really enjoyed it. The only thing I was disappointed with is there wasn't enough optional tombs and what there were, was a little on the small side.

The inclusion of a bow was a great idea and well executed. Beats the hell out of dual wielding pistols.

The bow is great but I spent the whole game waiting to get that second pistol.

Dead

well not really...yet
All the weapons are great. Especially when they are fully upgraded, its an utterly godly arsenal.

I rented this on redbox and have been playing on and off this weekend with my girlfriend. We both really enjoy it so far.

No spoilers please, but how much further do we have?
We just arrived at the ship the group is trying to fix up. After the gondola stuff.

Dead

well not really...yet
I rented this on redbox and have been playing on and off this weekend with my girlfriend. We both really enjoy it so far.

No spoilers please, but how much further do we have?
We just arrived at the ship the group is trying to fix up. After the gondola stuff.
If I remember, thats about 65-70% I think?

Theres still a fair bit after that anyways.

Best in-game special FX I've seen to date. Nothing can beat the fire FX in this game. The fire looks so good and I love the particles! Better than Crysis 3!

aparisi2274

I finished the game today with 100% completion!

It is my GOTY (so far), it's that good.

My only gripe is that the game suffers from
Uncharted Last Boss sucks
syndrome!

aparisi2274

HA HA. I totally forgot that she used dual wielding pistols in the original games! Makes the
scene at the end where she kills Mathias with dual wielding pistols even more special, and then she looks at both of them after he is gone.

DaNcaKe

Completed the game earlier this week. I enjoyed it, but I can't help but feel that is a poor man's Uncharted.

I'm glad that they didn't have too many weapons involved, as they each feel like they have their own specific situation to be used in, unlike most games where it's pick your favourite gun and go.

Multiplayer is executed poorly IMO. No game in this day and age should launch without any sort of party system. It is a crime. There are more flaws than this but they are well documented throughout the thread!

It's a blockbuster action adventure game... They aren't suppose to be "challenging," they are suppose to be "thrilling experiences." That's the lay of the land these days, and what's selling. I'm pleased CD managed to sneak so many "game systems" into the experience, that's all I mean. So in that sense, it's better than I was expecting. If it is reward/challenge you're looking for, that's the indie scene these days.

The bolded I think greatly explains why so many have been recommending rental over buying, among a few other reasons.

Seriously, I know the answer, but I'll ask the question anyway - why can't a blockbuster action adventure game actually be challenging? I would think there are practical ways around these things in TR's case for example: optionally harder tombs, harder enemies, limited ammo, and different collectibles per difficulty level, etc.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I finished the game today with 100% completion!

It is my GOTY (so far), it's that good.

My only gripe is that the game suffers from
Uncharted Last Boss sucks
syndrome!

Seriously? I thought it was very well done. Much better than anything Uncharted has been able to pull of at least.

Arklite

Yeah I think those who liked the game are hoping for an increase in tombs, greater in complexity and challenge. It's a shame DLC is being focused on multiplayer maps instead of single player content.

Slightly unrelated note, been playing through Crystal Dynamic's previous three TR games and holy shit this camera. Feels like it steadily worsened from game to game and now I'm constantly wrestling with it in Underworld.

Skilletor

Yeah I think those who liked the game are hoping for an increase in tombs, greater in complexity and challenge. It's a shame DLC is being focused on multiplayer maps instead of single player content.

Slightly unrelated note, been playing through Crystal Dynamic's previous three TR games and holy shit this camera. Feels like it steadily worsened from game to game and now I'm constantly wrestling with it in Underworld.

No, those who didn't care for the game want those things, too.

Sissel

Replaying the game and still loving it. The opening hours flow so much better when you can skip the cutscenes. Top 10 games of the gen sure for me.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The bolded I think greatly explains why so many have been recommending rental over buying, among a few other reasons.

Seriously, I know the answer, but I'll ask the question anyway - why can't a blockbuster action adventure game actually be challenging? I would think there are practical ways around these things in TR's case for example: optionally harder tombs, harder enemies, limited ammo, and different collectibles per difficulty level, etc.

Because blockbuster games cost so much more money to make than they ever have, and this is what sells for the best returns!

I can't be mad, they are the only ones putting women front and center without any men around them... Both with Lara and Lightening. Hey, its something... I guess

Well, a lynch mob could put them front and center too. I'm not sure how fantastic either are for representing female protagonists.

Old Lara and new Lara are both cartoon characters, old Lara was exploitative but confident, new Lara is exploitative but desperate. Both spend a lot of time killing their competition. I won't bother wasting the time trying to analyze which is better or worse for the plight of female leads, it seems as fruitful as analyzing whether Bugs Bunny or Scrooge McDuck better represent males.

I can't comment on Lightning because I haven't played any game with her in it yet.

Personally, when I think good female protagonists, I think Jade from BG&E.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well, a lynch mob could put them front and center too. I'm not sure how fantastic either are for representing female protagonists.

Old Lara and new Lara are both cartoon characters, old Lara was exploitative but confident, new Lara is exploitative but desperate. Both spend a lot of time killing their competition. I won't bother wasting the time trying to analyze which is better or worse for the plight of female leads, it seems as fruitful as analyzing whether Bugs Bunny or Scrooge McDuck better represent males.

I can't comment on Lightning because I haven't played any game with her in it yet.

Both Scrooge McDuck and Donald are quite well developed characters, at least if you consider how they are portrayed in Don Rosa's stories ;).

Both Scrooge McDuck and Donald are quite well developed characters, at least if you consider how they are portrayed in Don Rosa's stories ;).

You're right of course. My experience with Scrooge is limited mostly to the Christmas Carol and Ducktales, but even in Ducktales he's more fleshed out than either Lara.

I think new Lara is more like Taz.

John Harker

I mean more on the marketing side... at least they put women on the front and center of their campaign. Even MS wussed out with Judgement and only put Baird on the cover front and center, and shifted Cole to some small image in the back.

Is it negatively affecting sales? Hell, it may. But at least SE is doing it!

I mean more on the marketing side... at least they put women on the front and center of their campaign. Even MS wussed out with Judgement and only put Baird on the cover front and center, and shifted Cole to some small image in the back.

Is it negatively affecting sales? Hell, it may. But at least SE is doing it!

Oh, yeah, I can't comment on that, I'm simply not informed enough on how that sort of thing effects sales. It's a shame that it probably does, but I think TR sold quite well, like 3.4 million.

RagnarokX

I can't be mad, they are the only ones putting women front and center without any men around them... Both with Lara and Lightening. Hey, its something... I guess

What...? Old Lara went solo. This game surrounded her with guys
sacrificing their lives in stupid ways to keep her alive

John Harker

What...? Old Lara went solo. This game surrounded her with guys
sacrificing their lives in stupid ways to keep her alive

images

not sure what you mean? there isn't a single male character on the keyart

Sissel

The new Lara is much more interesting a character, it's not even close. Old Lara was annoying in how over confident she was while throwing around corny one liners.

Tomb Raider DLC: new map pack released, others dated
Weapons packs and multiplayer characters also unlocked on PS3 and PC

Square Enix has released new Tomb Raider DLC in the form of a fresh multiplayer map pack, while dating more upcoming game add-ons.

The 1939 multiplayer map pack is out now on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, the publisher said today.

Meanwhile, the previously Xbox 360 exclusive Caves and Cliffs multiplayer map pack will be released on PS3 and PC in mid-April, and the Shipwrecked multiplayer map pack will hit all three platforms in early May. Details of each release follow the new multiplayer trailer below.

Additionally, all launch exclusive Tomb Raider DLC is now available on PS3 and Steam. It features a range of weapons packs and multiplayer characters.

1939 multiplayer map pack

- Dogfight: Dating back to the World War II experiments conducted on the island, this bunker is a deadly maze of brick and mortar that could easily become a tomb.
- Forest Meadow: This forest meadow is a hunting ground, filled with open spaces that can be advantageous and dangerous at the same time. Who is the hunter and who is the hunted?

Shipwrecked multiplayer map pack

- Lost Fleet: A massive beached ship serves as a dangerous battleground filled with twists, turns, and traps.
- Himiko's Cradle: Danger lurks around every corner in this mountain top shrine. The area is sacred to the scavengers and will be your final resting place if you are not careful.

Caves and Cliffs multiplayer map pack

- Scavenger Caverns: A massive network of caves used by the scavengers as a prison area.
- Cliff Shantytown: This settlement was built high in the island cliffs. Its many layers hide some of the deadliest traps on the island.
- The Burning Village: A fire has erupted in an abandoned Japanese village. The burning buildings offer multiple ways to escape your enemies, but enter them at your own peril.

Source

Finished the game yesterday. The ending is beyond stupid, but I really liked the game.

It's a visual marvel, and in 3D it's amazing. A very good alternative to Uncharted, even though it lacks the charm some of the characters in Naughty Dog's franchise have.

One of the highlight of the year for sure. I still miss the original gameplay, though.

It may lack the charm of Uncharted's characters but I think Lara's characterization and her development is much stronger and well done.

Also multiplayer is pretty fun. It's not better than Uncharted but still fun. It was hard to get used to at first but once in clicks it's not bad. Those new maps will round it out more and make it a solid experience. My only worry is if people will buy it.

iNvid02

how long do i have left to go?

alex just sacrificed himself and im in the endurance with those tools

just not that into it anymore, wanna start bioshock but if there is not long to go i might as well protect lara a little longer

Linius

Finished it today. It was a fun game but now it's time to vacuum ghosts and live in a floating city. Don't feel like collecting all those gps cashes, relics etc.

ak1976

Neo Member
Finished it today. It was a fun game but now it's time to vacuum ghosts and live in a floating city. Don't feel like collecting all those gps cashes, relics etc.

I'm on the same boat, gotta beat dead space 3, then tomb raider and then I can go to bio and luigi...How was the single player campaign?

Yeah, not worth it really. I got up to 94% and lost interest - it's more of a standard fetch quest than true "secret finding". In fact, revisiting the areas takes the magic out the game - you notice how rather simplistic the levels really are without all the dynamic cut scenes and enemies.

Just got the game and I think it is amazing. I might even like it better than the great Uncharted games even though I am only 24% in. There is something about the world and setting that grabs and captivates me. It's almost like the character is alive and I can feel Lara's pain and emotions. Good stuff. So far, I am really enjoying it.

Ricker

Finally got all the documents,GPS cache etc but I didnt get the 50 point achievement that goes with it on the 360...is this a know glitch?

Ce-Lin

great game, specially the PC version with Tress FX and all that jazz enabled, will be in my top 10 for sure. Uncharted games are on a ligue of their own though.

Top Bottom