• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Axspell

Neo Member
This game plays so solidly... but I just don't enjoy it. I'm not having fun fun. The story is just so bad and exemplifies everything that's wrong with game narratives. Lara is such an unlikeable character, parading around about saving everyone while ruthlessly mass murdering person after person after person after person after person. She's a ruthless bullet sponge. A savage. There is absolutely no cogent character in the gameplay and I feel disgusted every moment I'm in control of her.

Yeah, not worth it really. I got up to 94% and lost interest - it's more of a standard fetch quest than true "secret finding". In fact, revisiting the areas takes the magic out the game - you notice how rather simplistic the levels really are without all the dynamic cut scenes and enemies.
Don't quit at 94%

Just got the game and I think it is amazing. I might even like it better than the great Uncharted games even though I am only 24% in. There is something about the world and setting that grabs and captivates me. It's almost like the character is alive and I can feel Lara's pain and emotions. Good stuff. So far, I am really enjoying it.

I was a little late picking this game up as well (So many games to play). I finally picked this up yesterday and played it all night. Basically came here to post the same thing as I quoted. This game is too good!

theosi

Finished up Bioshock Infinite last weekend and loved it so much. When it was done I had one of those empty feelings and didn't want to pick up any other game, just feeling like nothing would be able satisfy me ever again.

I ended up giving Tomb Raider a shot, kind of not expecting much, but man, the game may not be an old style Tomb Raider game, but it still is damn fun. Gameplay feels great (love that bow), story is nothing special but still has that Lost/Uncharted vibe which has been entertaining. Only complaint is that the secret tombs so far are basically one simple puzzle-> treasure chest-> walk back out. Could have been really great if they were a bit longer/more complex.

I don't get all the hate, but then again my memories of the old tomb raider games on PC as a kid were of me lining up seemingly easy platform jumps and falling to my death repeatedly then reloading my saves over and over. I don't miss that.

Hope it actually merits a sequel despite SE's odd expectations.

Ricker

Did you get all the challenges? e.g., the minesweeper on the beach, the mushrooms in the forest, etc.

No but I found the 2 GPS caches I was missing,even though it said I had 100% on the camp screen(or found 6 out 6)....they where in the Beach area...finding those hidden GPS caches gave me the hidden document as well which allowed me to 100% my bow upgrade that gave me the other 50 point achievement for upgrading every weapon...

Still missing 3 mines,1 egg poacher and one firestarter somewhere in that elevator level...

I'm actually surprised at how much I'm enjoying this game right now. I finished the "Hall of Ascension" tomb. The combat is a lot of fun, bow is fun to use, and I genuinely like Lara in this one. Absolutely gorgeous visuals (PS3).

I also have to say the people who were up in arms about the "rape" scene look really stupid right now. I was expecting some major shit and nothing even happened.

emag

I'm actually surprised at how much I'm enjoying this game right now. I finished the "Hall of Ascension" tomb. The combat is a lot of fun, bow is fun to use, and I genuinely like Lara in this one. Absolutely gorgeous visuals (PS3).

I also have to say the people who were up in arms about the "rape" scene look really stupid right now. I was expecting some major shit and nothing even happened.

There's really nothing controversial about the final product, despite the prerelease bellyaching. I agree on that point.

That said, I had to really force myself to finish this Tomb Raider (a Redbox rental). The platforming, puzzle-solving, and exploration elements are so simplistic and linear that I could not derive any satisfaction from them and the firefights and atmosphere are just a weak blend of Resident Evil 4 and Uncharted (attempting RE4 style level design and swarming enemies in a cover based shooter was a terrible, terrible decision).

I'm not a huge Tomb Raider or Uncharted fan, although I've played several games in each franchise (I did really like Guardian of Light). This Tomb Raided is just so without innovation, character, or charm -- it's a paint-by-numbers, committee-designed, competent product. That other UK-developed recent reboot, DmC, may have gotten worse review scores, but at least it was an honest product with actual ambition and drive (and, dare I say, it was fun).

Well, I finished Bioshock Infinite.

I gotta say, I liked Tomb Raider more. Bioshock had a more interesting story but Tomb Raider was a much better/modern game.

Of course, I'm a probably a bit biased because I got food poisoning while play Bioshock. But I really think the variety of gameplay and game mechanics of Tomb Raider were better.

That said, I felt both game were GREAT and worthy of purchase and playing.

kylej

Banned
I'm a long time Tomb Raider fan so maybe I'm a little biased, but I too thought this game was better than Bioshock. Loved this game.

LowParry

I'm a long time Tomb Raider fan so maybe I'm a little biased, but I too thought this game was better than Bioshock. Loved this game.

It does in some ways. Both games are really good all around though. A shame there's no plans for DLC for Tomb Raider with single player.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Finally beat the game acouple nights ago.

I really, really liked it. I wasn't a fan of the first couple hours as it was mostly quicktime event stuff, and there were too many sections throughout of "You have no control except for the ability to go forward", but as the game opened up, I really had a good time with it.

I thought the control felt good, Lara's character was handled reasonably well, and I thought that while the story was still pretty hokey, there were some genuinely great moments of tension.

Also, while I was more less waiting for it the whole game,
Lara using the dual pistols to take down Mathias was a pretty satisfying moment.

Well, I finished Bioshock Infinite.

I gotta say, I liked Tomb Raider more. Bioshock had a more interesting story but Tomb Raider was a much better/modern game.
Just finished Infinite over the weekend too and was surprised how much it reminded me of Tomb Raider.

Both were games I absolutely loved just wandering around in and exploring the environments. Production value and art design was strong in both titles too, although Bioshock's narrative and characters were far more engaging.

They both suffer from the same problem though - they're incredibly pretty, but filled with shallow gameplay through and through.

Shit, o totally forgot this... i remember there was supposed to be a rape scene in this one... i've finally played this over the weekend, and i didn't see anything involving sex in this one, not even a kiss.

I liked the game, but i'll comment on that later, i just want to say that the MP is complete trash. It's like those companies don't even play Call of Duty to see how a good MP game looks like.

It's another one of those games that has no business having MP in it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Shit, o totally forgot this... i remember there was supposed to be a rape scene in this one... i've finally played this over the weekend, and i didn't see anything involving sex in this one, not even a kiss.

I liked the game, but i'll comment on that later, i just want to say that the MP is complete trash. It's like those companies don't even play Call of Duty to see how a good MP game looks like.

It's another one of those games that has no business having MP in it.

Not true.
She kisses Alex on the cheek
. Lol

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Yeah, not worth it really. I got up to 94% and lost interest - it's more of a standard fetch quest than true "secret finding". In fact, revisiting the areas takes the magic out the game - you notice how rather simplistic the levels really are without all the dynamic cut scenes and enemies.

I have a question about your post. I am in a similar boat and I'm up to 90%. I have found all the things that are currently showing on the map(all caches, relics, etc) but I'm stil 10% short of completion. Am I correct in assuming there are things that can be found/done that DO NOT show on the map, that is required to obtain the remaining 10%? If so, is there a way to unlock those items/tasks so that they *do* show up on the map, making them easier to find?

There are some areas where I'm down to like 50% completion even though everything *displayed* on the map has been found. What gives?

I have a question about your post. I am in a similar boat and I'm up to 90%. I have found all the things that are currently showing on the map(all caches, relics, etc) but I'm stil 10% short of completion. Am I correct in assuming there are things that can be found/done that DO NOT show on the map, that is required to obtain the remaining 10%? If so, is there a way to unlock those items/tasks so that they *do* show up on the map, making them easier to find?

There are some areas where I'm down to like 50% completion even though everything *displayed* on the map has been found. What gives?

I got the motivation and completed 100% a few days ago.

There are special tasks in each level like burning posters, shooting mines, shooting talismans, finding burial grounds, etc. (these are beyond just the regular GPS caches, documents, Relics and treasure map collecting). These tasks do not appear on the map screen, but only as a list of things to do under the completion % for each level. Also, there are some GPS/Relics/documents that are right on top of each other in the map screen that can be easy to miss.

There is also an area called Cliffside Bunker that many people miss - it doesn't have a Fast Travel Camp - you have to walk there from the beach area - it's in the very Southeast corner of the map. There a few documents and caches there.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, it's better if you finish the game first and go back to the collecting because once you beat the game, the "main" items become revealed in the map screen (even without having to find the treasure map). You'll still have to find the level specific tasks on your own though.

DeVeAn

So when I return to a certain area, The framerate takes a dive unless I look away from the open area.

S****** town is major drops. Is this a thing or just my card?

I finished the game this weekend and really enjoyed it. I've never been a fan of Tomb Raider but this one struck me as different, so I bought it on a whim. Ended up really liking it and 100%ing it in the first playthrough. I did kind of get annoyed by the whole "let's constantly beat Lara down" premise. I understand they're trying to show how she became the character she is, but it felt like overkill at times. I also kind of got tired of all the over-the-top epic moments in the game, but not enough to dissuade me from playing. It did start to feel like the movie '2012' at some parts though, but I did enjoy the nod to Jurassic Park Lost World. All in all though, I liked it a lot. I could have done without some of the instant death moments, and I wish there was a way to turn off the batman vision/survival instinct sound, as it made my windows rattle with the bass every time I used it.

Coen

Just beat the game. I enjoyed it all the way up to the end although I didn't really feel it was anything special. But, I feel that way about most games these days, so I can't really fault it for that. Maybe I'll try for all the collectables one day but I have GoW, Bioshock, Luigi's Mansion and Lego City Undercover to get to and Fire Emblem's not far of. Anyway, nice game!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I got the motivation and completed 100% a few days ago.

There are special tasks in each level like burning posters, shooting mines, shooting talismans, finding burial grounds, etc. (these are beyond just the regular GPS caches, documents, Relics and treasure map collecting). These tasks do not appear on the map screen, but only as a list of things to do under the completion % for each level. Also, there are some GPS/Relics/documents that are right on top of each other in the map screen that can be easy to miss.

There is also an area called Cliffside Bunker that many people miss - it doesn't have a Fast Travel Camp - you have to walk there from the beach area - it's in the very Southeast corner of the map. There a few documents and caches there.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, it's better if you finish the game first and go back to the collecting because once you beat the game, the "main" items become revealed in the map screen (even without having to find the treasure map). You'll still have to find the level specific tasks on your own though.

I understand. Thanks for replying and clearing that up :)

Yeah, I'd say don't. I'm trying to get the online trophies (shopoholic and true commitment) and it's starting to feel very tedious reaching level 60. If you don't have dlc maps, it's hard to find a good match (mainly talking about shantytown).

Is the online community already dead? I didn't even touch multiplayer during my playthrough.

I haven't played this since beating it the first week of its release. It really saddens me they focused their DLC on a MP that no one cares for, instead of getting some beefy SP add-ons.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
*sigh* This is equivalent to the "turn your brain off argument". I wish I could find the relevant link right now.

Yet the story is front and center and forced upon you.

I can't believe you would say that my contribution isn't worth the bother. I list and explain my problems with the game and point out how the game can be improved, yet you try to dismiss this constructive feedback as depressing and counter-productive for games to improve.

I seriously have no idea why you wouldn't want a discussion on the merits and flaws of the game.

I have to backtrack a little here and agree that the story in Tomb Raider is absolutely terrible. I'm on my second play through the game at the moment and Lara's character is all over the place. I like the setting and the premise of the story. It's execution and characters leave a lot to be desired for those seeking a strong story component.

I still love the game though. It was such a great reboot for the franchise. Hopefully the dev team can spend a bit more time integrating a tight narrative into the rest of the game for the follow up.

Is the online community already dead? I didn't even touch multiplayer during my playthrough.

I don't think it's completely dead. But there will be times where I'm in a match (mainly tdm and rescue) with 6 players total, sometimes it's 3-4. It hasn't been consistent with me. And every now and then I'm waiting for players to join.
I'm not really sure how online match ups work, some ppl have dlc maps and some don't, so maybe players are separated by that? That's sort of my assumption, so, if the majority of people have the shantytown dlc, then most games may be played on that map which leaves the rest of the matches with less people. Maybe I'm over thinking it =(

Sissel

upon replaying the game, I really wish you could shoot from midair. Doesn't make sense to me that you cant, given all the verticality in the game.

Finished this yesterday, wasn't too enthralled with it overall. It's okay, passable.

Unorganized comments
- Why the fuck is the opening cinematic compressed to hell? Utterly lazy.
- Controls could have been better. Aiming was less than desirable, even by console standards. Needed a smaller dead zone and the sensitivity option had little effect on small movements. Climbing was wonky at times and had to fight the controls, died a few times as a result. (I played this on PS3.)
- Puzzles were too easy, though some of the tombs were interesting conceptually.
- Way too much fighting. Didn't find the combat satisfying either. Didn't like the cover system, melee system, encounter design, etc.
- Stealth system was a joke.
- Narrative is ass, drama completely ineffectual. Story is poorly setup. Characters are very flat and stereotypical, almost offensively so. Too much reliance on journal entries, some of which are illogical. They don't even begin to fill the void left by the cutscenes. The video logs introduced early are forgotten about.
- Skill and experience system are almost completely superfluous.
- Weapon upgrade system incredibly shallow and disappointing.
- Absolutely no survival elements. I wasn't expected a full blown survival sim but at least something.
- The cutscene camerawork is atrocious.
- Lara's voice actress was possibly the worst out of the cast.
- The way the narrative repeatedly beats up Lara reeks of trying too hard.
- How the hell is Lara still alive? Especially after
the helicopter crash?
- Some nice environments, impressed with the scope of a few of the areas like Shipwreck Beach.
- Platforming is better than Uncharted but that isn't saying much.
- Rope arrow system was a plus.
- One too many "Lara slowly walks through a confined corridor" sequences.
- Metroid-esque gear progression was cool but heavily underutilized.

Playing this just made me want to go back to Spec Ops: The Line, something that knew what it wanted to be and was successful at it.

red731

Bought the game yesterday (lol, even if I said something about gore in the other thread) and I like it.
I am playing, dad is watching, gpu at 100% and IQ more than ultimate. I am really happy that I've bought it - as a game and as a stress test.
Sweet. Can't wait to continue today.

I didn't touch it either to be truthfully honest. Sort of seems like it. I searched for approximately 15 minutes for players in different types of matches and only found 2 people who I never got to play with. I knew the community might of been sparse, but I didn't expect it this fast. Maybe it was the time of day?

Slacker

Finished this yesterday, wasn't too enthralled with it overall. It's okay, passable.

- Controls could have been better. Aiming was less than desirable, even by console standards. Needed a smaller dead zone and the sensitivity option had little effect on small movements. Climbing was wonky at times and had to fight the controls, died a few times as a result. (I played this on PS3.)

I wonder how many people who talk about too much combat in the game are playing on the consoles. The controls were awesome on the PC.

Andrew.

Banned
Bought again, 100%'ed and beat in about a day over the weekend. Absolutely a blast to play and even more fun the second time around. I also managed to score the Chatterbox and Professional trophies which I didn't acquire during my first run.

The guns sound so damn good and I love watching their slow transformation from one type of weapon to the next. It's such a smooth transition.

Speaking of which, I think CD did the best job of visual progression via Lara's appearance than any other game this gen. The Arkham games come close, but you never see the gadgets and gear actually equipped on Batman. I love how gradually Lara's clothes became tattered and torn and each individual upgrade was noticeable on her.

Next time I really gotta take before and after pictures.

Kammie

Speaking of which, I think CD did the best job of visual progression via Lara's appearance than any other game this gen. The Arkham games come close, but you never see the gadgets and gear actually equipped on Batman. I love how gradually Lara's clothes became tattered and torn and each individual upgrade was noticeable on her.
I noticed it too, and it was a nice touch, but Spec Ops takes the crown on this.

It's a fair trade-off for no-loading.

Which, considering the strength of the graphics and the overall scope, is quite impressive.
Suspected that was the case. Would have preferred a mandatory install.
I wonder how many people who talk about too much combat in the game are playing on the consoles. The controls were awesome on the PC.
I've considered that it could be more enjoyable on PC.

Tizoc

I've made it to Shantytown now, how far into the game am I? Halfway through?
I made a seperate save file at the start of Shantytown in order to get some missable trophies, but is the best spot to get them later on in that area?

Top Bottom