• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Half-Life 2 is coming to Nvidia Shield

dex3108

PCPer received green crowbar

https://twitter.com/pcper/status/464404981534437376

https://twitter.com/pcper/status/464405105291591680

BnHl3muCMAEfSLv.jpg:large

BnHl-xXIQAAmeyv.jpg:large

rrs

Half Life
exclusive for the Nvidia Shield.

Most likely a port of HL2 like that one of Portal 2.

Fuck yeah, give me native Source games Gabe. Portal next week, Half-Life series later. I can stream them already but let's do this.

Next up, bring Steam streaming to Android!

dex3108

Fuck yeah, give me native Source games Gabe. Portal next week, Half-Life series later. I can stream them already but let's do this.

Next up, bring Steam streaming to Android!

You can do that now if you have Nvidia card :D Use Limelight app for android and bluetooth gamepad and you are good to go.

Protomanx13

Neo Member
It is cool that Nvidia Shield is getting all these free stuffs, but really, these are really old games so what people have a Nvidia Shield and yet haven't play the game yet.

You can do that now if you have Nvidia card :D Use Limelight app for android and bluetooth gamepad and you are good to go.

Nah, I can't use my Nvidia GPU right now so I use Kainy instead. I've just heard great things about Steam streaming performance.

It is cool that Nvidia Shield is getting all these free stuffs, but really, these are really old games so what people have a Nvidia Shield and yet haven't play the game yet.

I replayed Half-Life 2 this year, I will happily replay it again on my Shield.

nampad

Nvidia moneyhatting all those nice Valve games. As far as I remember, they are porting the games inhouse?
Makes me wonder what the other handheld platform holders are doing.

Nzyme32

Nice. It will be interesting to hear if Nvidia are doing the port themselves as they did with Portal, or if Valve are doing the port themselves. May give an indication of how far away their whole "little foot" project of getting steam on to mobile is progressing

meptrep

I hope it's easy to play this and Portal on other Android devices. I have no reason to buy a Shield when I can just use an app to stream games to any Android device.

Nvidia moneyhatting all those nice Valve games. As far as I remember, they are porting the games inhouse?
Makes me wonder what the other handheld platform holders are doing.

I don't think it's as simple as that. Valve want Steam on Android, Nvidia want to encourage PC gamers to buy their GPUs. I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia start working with Valve on their streaming tech and phases out their own implementation, or fully integrates it with Steam.

There's a lot of mutually beneficial ground these two companies can cover here.

Dolor

Nice. It will be interesting to hear if Nvidia are doing the port themselves as they did with Portal, or if Valve are doing the port themselves. May give an indication of how far away their whole "little foot" project of getting steam on to mobile is progressing

This is what matters to me.

Makes sense for valve to bring all their controller-friendly games to android going forward (maybe newer stuff only for tegra K1 devices) since most of the work is already done since they're already supporting linux.

DirtyLarry

Nice, I have an Xperia Z2 Tablet arriving today so need to check this feature out.
Any other good gaming tips or recommended websites for Android?

RM8

Since I love handhelds I think it's cool that Shield exists. I might buy one at some point at the right price. That price is nowhere near the current price, though :x If ports like this and Portal exist it's because they're profitable on Shield, right? That's pretty good.

Kind of want to buy a shield but also really want to wait on a new redesign

I couldn't stand the time i spent with the current one, but really like the idea of it

Kevin

Why is Valve pushing Shield development so much? I was under the impressions that Shield wasn't that big of a success...

Why is Valve pushing Shield development so much? I was under the impressions that Shield wasn't that big of a success...

Because Valve want to get into Android, and Nvidia are a company they've almost certainly worked with in the past so partnering with them is an easy choice. Also, don't be so sure that the Shield has been a flop. It's not perfect by any means, but the hybrid console/handheld running a tablet OS is a pretty plausible scenario for future gaming devices as PC ownership outside the enthusiast market continues to dwindle in favour of tablets.

Top Bottom