• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: some findings about the web eShop

L~A

Edit 5: https://eshop.nintendo.net/redeem#/ now works from Europe!

The Red Wizard said:
19494371180_e8cbed0efc_o.png

So, in the past few months/weeks, I've been trying to find some evidence about the web eShop, and I finally found something significant enough to make a thread about it.

So, I started with https://miiverse.nintendo.net/, which is the URL for Miiverse. Then I put eshop instead of miiverse, and got https://eshop.nintendo.net/.

At first, I got a totally expected 404 error, no such page exist, whatever.
Then a few weeks ago, I got a different error (one that said the page couldn't be loaded or something).

And then today...

Finally found something! Not only there's the Nintendo Network logo (which is new, wasn't there before), but there's also that totally not suspicious "Enter download code" button. If you press it, you go to https://eshop.nintendo.net/redeem, and get this page:

Page is in French (because that's where I live atm), and at the top of the page, there's a button with your Mii, allowing you to sign off (you can try it yourself by clicking on the link above). It should be in English because that's what my browser is set at, just like all the other Nintendo services. So it's definitely connecting to my eShop account.

The page says "This website is not available on your region", by the way.

I think the web eShop will be launched rather soonish, though knowing Nintendo, it could take several months...

Edit: some users can get to this page...

Edit 2:

I've been looking at the source code and found a few icons:

External:
9IWCyb1.png

Drop-down:
BJbCQhv.png

Is checked:
9F3gmD1.png

Nintendo Network:
Pi4wH9Z.png

Wii U:
nvKkKpD.png

3DS:
5fRqxgB.png

Sadly nothing interesting.

Edit3: well, well, well...

Sorry for the double post, but I figured it was worth a quick bump:

Automatic downloading does indeed work, looks like I just needed to give it a little more time. After powering on my console again Kirby was fully downloaded/installed.

Edit4: some more screencaps!

Bonus stuff:

Useless but pretty interesting - if you enter https://samurai.wup.shop.nintendo.net/ (this is the top-level URL of the site which the web eShop accesses for images, as I suppose), it displays default Apache index page. You will get an HTTPS certificate error, though.

Let me remind you - WUP is the code abbreviation for Wii U (like NTR for Wii, DOL for GameCube etc). I should check CTR (3DS) too.

Why samurai? I don't know.

o8Zp4mr.png

EDIT: https://samurai.ctr.shop.nintendo.net/ works the same as the WUP one.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yep, that's definitely a sign of the web eShop coming.

Prediction: it will be announced by Iwata during next investor meeting this month and launched shortly after.

Kanyon

I can see this really taking off, purchase from the eShop on the Web or your smartphone and your Wii U downloads it in sleep mode ready for when you get home.

Mpl90

Since some users are getting a different page...maybe it's because it's in a sliiiiiiightly more advanced state in UK / US (don't know what, exactly, but that screen is from an English speaker) compared to other countries? I'm from Italy, and I'm getiting exactly the same things as L~A.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
In before:
"I do't get why people is excited by something we already have since 1999"
or
"Welcome to 2014 Nintendo"

even LOLLER because maybe they'll launch it in 2015 ;p

Interested in it, surely.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Oh yes, that will be great to get in on sales when I'm not at home or don't have access to the consoles.

This year would be nice.

Since some users are getting a different page...maybe it's because it's in a sliiiiiiightly more advanced state in UK / US (don't know what, exactly, but that screen is from an English speaker) compared to other countries? I'm from Italy, and I'm getiting exactly the same things as L~A.

I got the proper code form and I'm the US. My guess is it's probably just the North American and most likely Japanese versions currently.

Mpl90

I got the proper code form and I'm the US. My guess is it's probably just the North American and most likely Japanese versions currently.

Now that you made me think about it...anyone from Japan willing to try?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Does anyone have a code from the ddp that they haven't used that they can test it on?

Error Code904-2001

The code you entered cannot be used on this website.

Please confirm whether the code you entered is meant to be used here.

If the problem persists, please make a note of the error code and use the Contact Us link to report the error.

Looking through the HML/JS for the code input screen, it seems pretty close to functional. Interestingly, the JS has a lot of references to Wii and DSi codes too.

Hmm anyone tried using the club Nintendo eshop games codes?

Just tried to get a code for Kirby, but I got a maintenance error... Which I also got the other day when I tried too.

watershed

Banned
This has taken way too long. What's really going to matter though is if the WiiU and 3ds get an update to automatically download games bought from this future eshop website.

L~A

Watch L~A's discovery force Nintendo's hand to announce this soon :p

Actually, I think an announcement is much closer than I thought... NoE is pushing for download stuff on Monday, while they usually do so on Thursday. And they're quite a lot coming out this week, so I wonder...

Besides, it's no secret they're working on the web eShop, they said so last year, actually.

Actually, I think an announcement is much closer than I thought... NoE is pushing for download stuff on Monday, while they usually do so on Thursday. And they're quite a lot coming out this week, so I wonder...

Besides, it's no secret they're working on the web eShop, they said so last year, actually.
They Have been saying it since Like 2011. Been waiting For so long Lol.

69wpm

Doesn't work in Germany either.

2gAB4w1.png

The interesting thing is that it already connects your nnid to their servers, just like the MKTV page. If I disconnect, it says "You have been signed out of the Nintendo Network on this device."

L~A

Almost three years to the day it was originally announced. I imagine they'll skip the QR code part.

Damn, totally forgot about that... But yeah, I doubt there'll be any QR Codes :p

This has taken way too long. What's really going to matter though is if the WiiU and 3ds get an update to automatically download games bought from this future eshop website.

Wii U can already do that, and since the 3DS was updated last week (along with a redesign of some pages of the eShop), I think there'll be no updated needed.

L~A

The eShop and online is all down for maintenance at the moment.

Coincidence?
Probably

Actually, only online and leaderboards are offline. No idea why the eShop isn't working, as it should because Nintendo always clearly indicated when it's down.

If the desktop eShop becomes a thing, does that mean that our digital purchases would be finally be tied to an account rather than the consoles themselves?

Thoraxes

If the desktop eShop becomes a thing, does that mean that our digital purchases would be finally be tied to an account rather than the consoles themselves?
Your purchases are already tied to your account.

It's just that the account is tied to the console is the issue.

El Sabroso

all purchases since the inclusion of the NNID are tied to the NNID itself, just the NNID is which is tied to the console tho

edit: lol beaten

L~A

But it's already like that.

It's not your purchases that's tied to your consoles... it's the account itself. 'Well, big deal!' you might say (and you'd be right... half-right), but it's a first step.

At least, thinkgs are changing!

Top Bottom