• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model pics leaked

Ugly, but I like the size. Since I don't care about the look of my electronics, I'll consider selling my Slim for it. I also like the top loader as opposed to the slide loader.

I wonder what features it has.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Can't stand the big unused space on the bottom right of PS family stuff. I had hoped that the Slim's glorious centered base was ringing its death toll, but nope, here it goes again.

I'm thinking the ridges are misleading. I want to say they'll be coated over with a clear lacquer or something that has a smooth curvature. Nobody's dumb enough to put that many upward facing grooves after the OG Xbox, those things were dust city.

Okay, i made a top view

4L2PI.jpg

both views

M7ohn.jpg

BD disc scale might be off.
Thats it, i'm done with photoshop for today lol

Bravo.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Looks hideos, but let's be real here: the looks won't matter when it's cheap, is called PlayStation, plays all PS3 hits and blurays,. It would sell gangbusters even if it was molded to a shape of poo. Only forumgoers will be emotionally scarred.

Ashodin

Um not sure about that, looking at the side picture it even looks like there could be a layer of smooth transparent plastic on top of the ridged black plastic. Sliding systems don't usually expose the mechanism on the top side anyway.

I don't know but it's hardly a new thing.
er8FX.jpg

It's like they actually wanted to fulfill the meme

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So how long until someone posts those as legit renders on n4g? Who am i kidding, it's probably already up.

I have never owned a PS3, so if this is around $150 (or less) and an HDD can be added, I will buy one. I do not really think it looks that bad either. If it is priced right I could see this selling very well and picking up folks like me who never owned one yet. Very much like the last versions of the original playstation and PS2.

Marche90

To be honest, it doesn't look that hot... but, with the right price ($200 or less), I'll buy it. I seriously need a PS3, since I never bought an HD twin and the one I really wanted was the PS3 (Could have bought a 360 a long time ago, but I prefer the PS3 games to the 360 ones)

Okay, i made a top view

4L2PI.jpg

If the moving slot was clear like on most CD players, that would look seriously nice. As is with the black plastic matte ridges, looks a little cheap.

Meh, don't really mind the ruffles. At least it wont ruin my Psone discs now by top loading. I wonder about two things though.

1. Let's say Sony does do a flash memory version (kinda like the 4gb Xbox 360) will it still have a slot to add HDD later?

2. What will be their bullshit excuse not to include backwards compatibility this time around? After all, has the price to manufacture a variant of emotion engine gone down in the last 2 years?

Please Sony, I need to replace my phat. I'll even accept the half assed software based BC but at least make an effort.

hirokazu

But it looks like a PS3 fat mini:

yNrCq.jpg

They just made the center part ridged to make a top loading disc drive possible.
By PS3 fat mini, meant something that looks as great as the fat. This does not appear to be it.

But I guess I'll reserve judgment until there are better pictures. It's actually OK if it weren't for the ridges.

Elios83

Meh, don't really mind the ruffles. At least it wont ruin my Psone discs now by top loading. I wonder about two things though.

1. Let's say Sony does do a flash memory version (kinda like the 4gb Xbox 360) will it still have a slot to add HDD later?

2. What will be their bullshit excuse not to include backwards compatibility this time around? After all, has the price to manufacture a variant of emotion engine gone down in the last 2 years?

Please Sony, I need to replace my phat. I'll even accept the half assed software based BC but at least make an effort.

1)The case is the same for all the models, the HDD bay has not been taken away, so yeah the 16GB model won't have a HDD but you'll be able to install one.

2)The BC issue has been solved through Psone and now PS2 Classics on the PS Store.
It's not going to get better than that unfortunately, we can only hope that the PS2 Classics library grows quickly with worthy titles.

Accoun

Okay, i made a top view

both views

Nice. While it doesn't look that bad here, I hope it's not exactly true - the most stupid things the designers have done, was putting the drive in the center instead of it being more in front...

[EDIT]
Also, the BD wouldn't be as "surrounded" - there would probably be space for fingers to grab it.

AkIRA_22

There is no denying, a regular BD drive is MUCH cheaper than a slot loader. But in the world of OEM high rate wholesale it might be a case of 5 bucks. multiply that my millions I guess it makes sense.... as long as Sony sell millions.

If the 16GB version is much cheaper and has a $US150 price (I think $US99 is out of the question) it could be enough to out sell the 360 over life time.

I would also like to bring up the question, where the fuck are Sony sourcing their non 802.11n wifi cards? surely there is no one still manufacturing b/g only cards. It's time to step up to 802.11 N Sony. If they are revising the motherboard now would be a great time to do it. I doubt they will though.

Elios83

If the 16GB version is much cheaper and has a $US150 price (I think $US99 is out of the question) it could be enough to out sell the 360 over life time.

It will be 199$ unfortunately, they won't be cheaper than a 360 4GB.
Also with a 150$ PS3 there would be a significant boom in PS3 sales that Sony is not forecasting for the next FY.

LQX

Looks way closer to the PS3 fat(which many have said is the best looking next gen console) than the new slim so I don't get the hate.

Also with a 150$ PS3 there would be a significant boom in PS3 sales that Sony is not forecasting for the next FY.

Hm, wouldn't there be a price cut for the base HDD model? If it's $249 now, and we pretended a 16GB version wasn't coming out, what would you expect the price to be?

The ridges are fugly as.

If they didn't have them though it would have been fine.
$199 might not get them to FY FC, based on current NPD/MC/Fam.

And as noted above, that would mean no price cut for the HDD models at all.

MYE

I will never understand how people find the original PS3 FAT beauttiful.
Still looks as obnoxious to me as the original XBOX hulk controller and your average american made super-sized SUV.

'Hey look, its big as shit. Lets make it shiny and throw in some chrome plastic too"

It only needed sirens and some flags on top to make its presence aware from space.

Elios83

Hm, wouldn't there be a price cut for the base HDD model?

Nope, just a HDD upgrade from 160/320GB to 250/500GB with a new form factor.
16GB model would allow them to get below 200$ and create direct competition to the Xbox360 4GB.
It's disappointing, the ideal pricing should be 150$/200$/250$ for both PS3 and 360 at this point.......but it's not going to happen, Sony and MS are happy to keep their prices and profits higher even so late in the game.

The ridges are fugly as.

If they didn't have them though it would have been fine.$199 might not get them to FY FC, based on current NPD/MC/Fam.

And as noted above, that would mean no price cut for the HDD models at all.

Their forecast is 14m, lower than last year's 15m (although their actual result was 13.9m).
Of course they expect a significant uptake in sales for the rest of the year which will bring them to 14m.
With a 150$ model sales would be much higher than 14m.

Top Bottom